Irish sports star Dónal Óg Cusack reveals he’s gay

1. Simon Murphy 19 Oct 2009, 3:39pm

Well done him. Hurling is an even more macho sport than football so his coming out is a majorly big deal.

Hurling is one of the most popular sports in Ireland. Good to see that he’s come out.

2. HUGE applause for such courage and honesty!
    GOOD LUCK & BEST WISHES to him!

3. What courage and well done

Lee

4. Its interesting reading the various sports discussion boards in Ireland where this is a big story. Its like a major Premier league footballer coming out. 99% of comments are very positive. No one seems fazed by it. Fans are saying “so what?”

Why can’t soccer be more open?

5. Richard GS 19 Oct 2009, 6:21pm

Nicely said and done. Best of wishes for him.

6. Yeah, I don’t think that english people will get how big a deal this is from the article alone. And FAR more macho a sport than football, no contest.

1. Welsh people get it though, coz we have Gareth Thomas.

7. Good for him. I doubt he’s the only one. Will more follow?

8. This is a huge deal – absolutely huge! For a hurling star (a Cork All-Ireland Champion none the less) to come out – absolutely incredible. As a Camog I’m proud and cuffed and wish Dónal Óg all the very best.

9. hes a gay man now

10. theotherone 19 Oct 2009, 9:52pm

I think, gerry, they’re just scared to say anything I mean…I’ve saw this sport being played and if one of the players knocked over my pint I’d buy him another one ;-)

11. John (Derbyshire) 19 Oct 2009, 10:32pm

I bet from now on he`ll get loads of flack from his fellow sports “men”– probably ostrascized by some he thought were his friends-taken the piss of by others. But the hate WILL be worth it Donal-because at last-you really are WHO you are-and they will hate you – but it will be the real you-and you will be living YOUR life-not a lie.

12. Hopefully, young Irish men contemplating the priesthood will read his book first. What a sensible, honest, and decent chap he is.

All the best.

13. I was reading the comments underneath an article of an Irish national newspaper and one said something like: ‘Being from Tipperary I hated him with a passion because he played for Cork….but all power to him for being so brave..’ – a wonderful reaction from a bitter rival team’s fan. And a sign that society is growing up.

Congratulations, and thank-you Dónal for your brave statement. I am pretty sure, you have given hope to many young people, who have been bullied, assaulted, abused for being who they are. I hope you become an inspiration to other sportspeople.

Now, Sir, get back to training…..

14. Congratulations Donal Og Cusack for being yourself. I had never heard of hurling and I did have a giggle that he plays for ‘Cork’. I think some of the fans will have a bit of fun with that!

15. why is it funny that he plays for Cork, Brenton?

16. Rose, think about it! LOL I am being naughty!

17. Jean-Paul Bentham 20 Oct 2009, 7:15am

Welcome home Donal; you have just become a star role model for thousands of confused youngsters.

I do have a lot of admiration for you, and your life will flourish from now on, you’ll see.

18. Philip Liebenberg 20 Oct 2009, 8:33am

It makes me so proud when fellow gays leave the toxic closet for a life of truth, but even more so when they have already been role-models. You’ve been called by Truth and you answered well! God bless you.

19. I’m thinking about it. Don’t get it.

20. Simon Murphy 20 Oct 2009, 11:06am

No 12: Dave: “Hopefully, young Irish men contemplating the priesthood will read his book first.”

Last year only 2 catholic priests were ordained in the entire country of Ireland. Catholicism is as good as dead in Ireland.

21. Maybe if they didn’t discriminate against devout but gay men there would be more ordinations and more understanding of real christianity in the Catholic church.

22. “I’m thinking about it. Don’t get it.”

Yeah, neither do I… maybe if his home town was called ‘Penis”, then yeah. But it would still be a cheap giggle :)

Lets hope he’s not the only gay in the GAA for long.

23. Lets hope he’s not the only gay in the GAA for long.

I second that, and a knock on effect in other sports would be good.

24. Still don’t get the Cork joke, though.

25. skybluedub 20 Oct 2009, 1:52pm

Was delighted to hear the news, he should be commended. All we need now is the Eircom League Players to come out.

26. What an absolute disgrace! Jeezus , Mary and Joseph!

27. Glenn Fairclough 20 Oct 2009, 5:18pm

Well done and thank you… sports people need to be brave and tell it like it is… challenging the status quo and homophobia from the inside!!!

28. Backward , intolerant Irish

29. Excuse me, Johnny? Racism is just as unwelcome here as homophobia. The GAA is no more backward or intolerant in this issue as the English FA or the Rugby League, and I am sure I read something a while back about the problems of being a gay American Football player.

30. Rose, looked to me like Johnny was being sarcastic :)

Good on young Donal!

31. Well, thats the problem with text. Sarcasm doesn’t come across. It just looked like racism to me. I suppose its possible he was responding to Mick in post 26., who was either being sarcastic or doing a bad impression of a backwards Irishman, which doesn’t work in text, either. Anyway, the point still stands. The Irish are no worse than anyone else in this case.

give us a break, captcha! What the heck does THAT say?

32. Jean-Paul Bentham 20 Oct 2009, 9:08pm

Rose:

I’m with you. The English language has become universal because of its distinct ability to express thoughts, emotions and feelings clearly.

Wanna-be wits and sarcastic jokers need years of extra education, or else their comments come across like an ambigious lead baloon.

Those who have mastered the language, like you, hardly ever use sarcasm or swaer words to put a point across.

For example, there is nothing in the following ststement to indicate that it is sarcastic…nothing at all:

“Backward , intolerant Irish”

Comment by Johnny — October 20, 2009 @ 17:19

In fact, my reaction was identical to yours. The remark is neither sarcastic nor ambigious. Just plain stupid, eh Johnny.

Allow me to emphasize my point by quoting a comment that makes perfect sense, and which is loaded with clear meaning in excellent English, e.g., Will(22):

“Fantastic news, and what a brave man. All the sweeter this news is given his universal acceptance by GAA fans! For our British cousins reading this, the GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) are not usually considered the most liberal of organisations in Ireland, so this is a big step for them, and a shining example of how Ireland is long past the 1940’s days of catholic domination.”

33. Exactly.

Now will somebody please explain the ‘Cork’ joke! Or is it too rude for my innocent ears?

34. theotherone 20 Oct 2009, 11:34pm

JP: there’s nothing wrong with a good curse word here and there.

Personally I fvcl1ng love it ;-)

35. I am sure Johnny’s comment were in jest, Rose ;-)

The support for Dónal does Ireland great credit.

36. Well, if I find out it wasn’t, he’ll feel the lash of an Irish woman’s ire!

The support does everyone credit. but there’s also an article about homophobic chants at matches. not so good. I suppose he never expected universal approval, though.

37. And I STILL don’t get the Cork joke.

38. Rod Chisholm 25 Oct 2009, 4:57pm

Well done to him,it must of been pretty stressing for him to COME OUT, it is a shame football and rugby have not had the courage to have anybody COME OUT, this is the 21st century and ought to be more acceptable, on a lighter note he is pretty HOT.

39. I think people in really macho sports like rugby and hurling are less likely to be homophobic than people who play girlie sports like football. A macho man who is confident in his own sexuality does not feel threatened. Football players are always trying to prove how hard they are, and they think homophobia is the way to do it.

40. For Rose the innocent.
    Maybe it is a little late, but if you are still checking here for an explanation, and I think you are due it, think ‘put a cork in it’
    got it yet? no? ‘cork into bottle’, got it? no?
    well then….’willy into botbot’ is the closest I’ll go to being blunt.