Lesbian barred from school yearbook for wearing a tux

1. So she thinks her sexuality excuses her from conformity to an established institutional dress code – why?

2. I wonder!
    I see no issue about being Gay. She is clearly accepted as Openly Gay. DRess Rules are no respecter of orientation! Its not as thoough she were trans…

3. derrrr! because its gender discrimination and its errr illegal! bollocks to tradtion – tradition said that gay sex was illegal, that men couldnt get paternity leave, that women couldnt vote – tradition should also be challenged when it discriminates!

4. “institutional dress code” Nuts to that.

5. Good for Ceara, this just says to me that her class mates were fine with it or else she would of conformed. It was plain discrimination. There are times to dress up and she did, it just didn’t conform to the gender of expectation for the adults.

6. I wasn’t allowed to wear a dress to school because I was a boy, being openly gay didn’t change that.

She should stop her ridiculous posturing, buy herself a decent frock or just shut up and stop behaving like a spoilt brat.

7. Proms were introduced at my school, in north west England, several years after I had left. It upsets me that the UK has imported this very heteronormative and discriminatory institution, replacing the more disparate and diverse celebrations students used to arrange among themselves. Now that we have it, we must be more flexible and tolerant than some American schools are.

8. Gordon Brown did not wear a tux for the Lord Mayor of London’s banquet and thats traditional! Perhaps this young person could quote that fact at her school!

9. @ Andrew W (7): I agree – the rise of the American-style high school prom in British schools seems to be a symptom of increasing conformity in the culture here, and it horrifies me. And some of the gay posters here are adherents of that culture of conformity themselves, unfortunately.

10. As long as she looked smart what’s the problem? I thought we’d left all that ‘girls have to wear dresses’ crap decades ago. Personally I’d prefer to wear a dress, but as long as students are dressed smartly and decently, then that should be enough.

11. Vulpus – why? why shouldn’t she wear atux?

12. Brian Burton 16 Oct 2009, 1:43pm

AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! I find myself totally agreeing with dear sweet Vulpus_Rex on this one. She is in danger of changing pro-gay views to anti-gay views with that devil-may-care stance.

13. Hall Monitor 16 Oct 2009, 1:51pm

This story made http://detentionslip.org ! Check it out for all the crazy headlines from our schools.

14. vulpus_rex 16 Oct 2009, 2:28pm

@11 Because it is against the school dress code and the management have decided not to relax that rule (reasons not given here).

Many organisations have dress codes, and there are many good reasons for both enforcing them and in some cases for being flexible about them, unfortunately I dont think “because I’m a lesbian” is one of the latter.

15. Har Davids 16 Oct 2009, 3:40pm

One might expect to be allowed to wear whatever one likes in the Land of the Free; sounds more like the Land of the Feeble to me, or Taliban Light.

16. These people have some serious control issues. I wore my Def Leppard tee shirt in my yearbook photo one year and nobody cared. Its the kids yearbook she should be able to wear whatever the heck she wants.

17. what hurt can be caused by her wearing a tux? my wife would never wear a dress either… dress codes are ignored all the time! let her wear the tux! people should be able to wear what they want not what other people think they should!

18. Brian Burton 16 Oct 2009, 8:51pm

We have had this ‘self effacing’ young Lesbian on these threads before and we all supported her. Now I think she is being just silly. Vulpus_Rex is quite right in his insistance on standards. Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing, this Lesbian is one of those.

19. No, I really don’t get the argument here. ‘dress code’? This is high school not the military. This is somebody having a photo taken for the yearbook. WHY should there be a dress code? It’s nonsense.

20. Silly girl claiming gay disrimination because she wore a tux.

She should have said she was transgendered!

21. Newspaniard 17 Oct 2009, 9:40am

It’s this kind of ‘Look at me, I’m different and want special treatment’ that gives us gays a bad name. She deserves a good slap and told to join the party with all her classmates.

22. This sort of rule shows what all the ballyhoo about High School proms and yearbooks is about – repressive conformity. Good luck to the girl.

23. Brian Burton 17 Oct 2009, 12:25pm

Newspaniard, Right on the button(What a sexy name, better than newshound!)

24. @ Newspaniard (20): ‘It’s this kind of ‘Look at me, I’m different and want special treatment’ that gives us gays a bad name.’

Why are you burdening a young woman in Mississippi with the duty of embodying your personal idea of a ‘good’ gay reputation? Are you saying that because she’s a lesbian she has to behave in a way you approve of? Whether you agree with her or not, the way she behaves has nothing to do with you or how other people perceive you.

25. I’m still missing the point, I think. I don’t see why she shouldn’t dress as she likes to have a photo taken for a yearbook.

But when all is said and done, its a 50 second moment. One photo in a book that will sit on a shelf for the next 50 years while she and her fellow classmates go out into the real world where there are far more important things to worry about than wearing a dress or a tux for a school photo. Maybe people in her school should all realise that. The yearbook people should lighten up a bit and she should, too.

26. Brian Burton 18 Oct 2009, 1:44pm

Bright college days O carefree days that fly, to thee we sing with our glasses raised on high. To the tables down at Morays (where ever that may be!) we’ll drink a toast to what we love the best. We’ll sleep through all the lectures and cheet on the exams, and we”l pass and be forgoten with the rest. Soon you’ll be out amid the cold world’s strife. Soon you’ll be sliding down the razor blade of life. And as you go your sordid, seperate ways, we will not forget thee thou golden college days.

27. quite so!