Straight Italian couple sue after being put on gay cruise

1. Most unfortunate and embarrassing.

Now maybe they know what it’s like to be and isolated gay among straight people. Empathy is a wonderful thing.

But as for: … am I the only one to be ROFPMSL?

2. Ooops. Sorry. I’m new to this and didn’t play that tune v well. I meant : As for “among the passengers were people they knew and had no idea that were gay”… am I the only one… etc.

3. I imagine if you’re in the evening of your lives, you want to be with like minded people. I guess they will be surrounded by constant circuit party music and young oversexed lads everywhere.

Pretty unfortunate. But I hate to say this… pretty damn funny

1. especially if one of the married people discovers their spouse in a same sex affair.

4. Bishop Ioan 15 Oct 2009, 4:05pm

Yeah, definitely funny, if unfortunate.

5. I can’t think of anything more tragic…

Well, actually, I can think of lots of things. What are these people whinging about? Did they receive any kind of substandard service on their holiday? were their cabins dirty, the food bad, the stewards rude to them? What possible grounds for compensation can they possibly have? Utter rubbish.

6. That’d be similar to a white couple complaining they’ve lost satisfaction by been in a ship with black couples … It’s clearly discrimination, since their contract with the travel company probably doesn’t specify their trip would be made amongst heterosexual couples.

7. Sister Mary Clarence 15 Oct 2009, 6:12pm

Sorry folks, if it happened to my parents I’d be writing the letters of complaint for them.

I’m sure they felt uncompfortable and out of place for the whole time, however welcome they were made to feel.

Last time I checked a cruise cost a hell of a lot of money, and if you’re shelling out a fortune you expect to get exactly what you thought you were paying for. it has got nothing to do with homophobia, the cruise would have been materially different to what they saw, liked and paid for in the brochure.

1. Maybe it would be what we call a teaching moment for them. they just might discover what i’ve learned over the years – gay people are great people.

As for the lawsuit – tough defecation.

8. Lucius Malfoy 15 Oct 2009, 7:07pm

9. If they win, probably that will set the precedent, and you should be able to sue places if you feel you’ve lost satisfaction by being surrounded by straight couples.

10. Agree with Lucius – I mean how often are we stuck in this straight world and get on with it –
    Well it would be nice to hear how they felt !!!!!
    A good leason !

11. People say about us being surrounded by straight couples and what not but can I point out that this is a gay cruise, seperate and unique to the gay community, possibly because we need because majority of people are straight but that means if we are going to use a metaphor in this situation it would be best to use the one, it’s like buying a ticket for a gay cruise and it being a regular one, because a normal cruise is the closest thing to a straight equilivent so yeah I think I would want my money back if I got given a “straight” cruise rather than a gay one. Though, I wouldn’t want “compensation” though it is 3 grand which is how much a cruise costs? I dunno, aint had a holiday in years.

That aside it is funny and reminds me of that comedy movie which name has slipped me it’s also funny how they met people they know, I hope that changed their opinion about gays.

12. Does this mean I can sue any place when I find myself surrounded by straight couples?
    Dont’ forget to start with your parents…

13. Paul Brownsey 16 Oct 2009, 11:56am

Kiki says (12)

“Does this mean I can sue any place when I find myself surrounded by straight couples?”

I think there might be a relevant difference between (a) the case where it just so happens that all the other couples in a party are gay, and (b) the case where event in question was set up and marketed as an event particularly for gay couples.

Here, (b) seems to apply. If it’s set up and marketed as an event catering to the supposed needs or enthusiasms of gay couples, then the company has no business dumping a mixed-sex couple there, any more than, if it had been a cruise for those interested in lectures on and visits to Greek ruins, they’d have been justified in adding a couple who’d expressed no interest in classical archaeology.

14. Aussie Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 16 Oct 2009, 12:17pm

That was a disney movie!!!!!! (what was it called again???)

I know plenty of striaght men who love gay sex – its called “BROKE STRAIGHT BOYS”!!!

But then again I think that stright men are hot!!!!!

15. If they are so embarrassed then why are they flaunting their sexuality by giving media interviews?

16. Im suing aswell!
    Everyone else at work is straight!
    It’s disgusting!
    I can’t concentrate at work with them all flaunting their sexuality around me

17. Sister Mary Clarence 16 Oct 2009, 7:46pm

I bet the evening were a ball at the Speedo & Jocks Party and the Leather/Black Party. Not doubt the pair of them were mesmerised by the male strippers and go-gos boys too.

As I said, I’d be writing the letters of complaint for them if it were my parents.

18. Eagle Ashcroft 17 Oct 2009, 8:42pm

Itz wonderful to finally read a ztory like thiz; now “ztraight” people can experience what it iz like for a gay couple to be put with a lot of “ztraight” people. The tablez have been rezerved for once.