French Muslim football side kicked out of league in row over gay team

1. The proper name of the team is Creteil Bebel, not just Bebel

2. I think the proper name of the team is ‘mud’. They’re a disgrace and deserve to be kicked out of the league.

3. You’ve got to admire the French, they don’t put up with any of the nonsense from Muslims that we do. If this situation had arisen in the UK, I doubt this team would have been kicked out.

4. In UK, it would be more likely the gay team be kicked out ‘in case religious offence was caused’. Remember nativity Xmas being withdrawn?

5. A football team placing its principles above tolerant and collaborative sporting endeavour. You’ve just got to laugh at the almighty arrogance of it.

6. Simon Murphy 14 Oct 2009, 7:07pm

Those crazy muslim cultists. serves them right.

7. “We had rejected playing this match not on the grounds of homophobia, as we have been accused of doing, but simply because the name of the club did not seem to us to reflect our vision of sport.” The name of the club? you got a problem with people from Paris? with the use of the word “Foot” because if not then you are homophobic.

8. How does it feel to lose your continent little by little? Even though it would be interesting -from a sociological point of view- to see a muslim Europe. Don’t think it’s gonna be equal to the middle eastern states. Don’t worry, it is decades away.

9. Thank goodness I live in France where they don’t pussyfoot around supposed religious sensitivities which are simply a cover for hate and bigotry.

10. When is the UK going to follow suit and ban all religious rubbish from having any legal standing? The days of controlling people with the talk of magical beings is numbered.

Unlike France, I don’t think we should ban the hijab. People should be able to wear any kind of clothing they like.

I see a future where religious affiliated football teams don’t exist.

11. I think they didn’t want to play initially because having their asses handed to them on a platter by a team of gay men would have been more than a little embarrassing. *chuckles*

12. As glad as I am that a footie team expressing homophobia has been removed from their league (and rightly so), I’m also disgusted by some of the racist opinions that surface on this and other comment threads. How racism is any better than homophobia beggers belief, but clearly there are some here who hold to that view.

13. Lucius Malfoy 15 Oct 2009, 11:20pm

George, talking smack about Islam is not racist. Islam is a religion, not a race. It’s pretty racist of you to put all Muslims into one group when in fact Muslims comes from many different countries, speak many different languages, and come in many different races… There are Muslims of European, African, Middle Eastern and Asian descent. Criticizing the religion of Muslims is not racist against them. What does cause a lot of social problems in Europe today is when Europeans view all Muslims as _only_ Muslims, one race, one people… which they are not. The sad thing is people like you who confuse religion with race and make it tougher for people to call out hatred and bigotry in society and religion.

14. Well said Lucius.

15. @ Lucius – Please point out where exactly in my previous post on this thread I said or implied anything about all Muslims being of one race. I did not, as well you know, so please do not put words in my mouth.

I’ve no problem with appropriate criticism of any religion, whether it be Christianity, Islam, or any other faith in regards to homophobia, but there are people here who take that criticism too far when they choose wording which is just as prejudiced against people of particular races or religions.

Comments which either state or imply for example that Muslims are all from the same region of the world coming to europe to take over (see post 8 here “how does it feel to lose your continent little by little”) could certainly be perceived as racist.

If you re-read my first post, you will see that I said that I was disgusted with the racist views of some who post on these comment threads. You then made the leap to say that “the sad thing about people like you” is that I perceive all Muslims of being of one race.

Perhaps, given this leap, it is you who needs to check your pre-conceptions at the door. Incidentally (and given you know nothing about me in real-life), my best friend is a mixed-race or part-scottish decent Muslim. So please, don’t lecture me on confusing race & religion.

16. P.S: Here’s another little gem from the Ugandan article posted by another commenter:

“it is just that sort of thinking and action from black Africa that keeps Africa where it is”

Not racist huh?

17. And another from the thread about the execution of gay people in Iraq:

“What can you expect from a bunch of uncivilized towel heads who follow after that whore monger Mohammed? Mohemmed was the biggest pimp and child molester in history and any a-shole dumb enough to follow the teaching of the assholiness coward eats sh-t for breakfast. We should have nuked the bastards. Maybe if we blew up some of their mosques and turned their Koran into toilet paper or fire starter we could rid ourselves of these sh-t heads who haven’t the brains to blow themselves to hell. I’d like to go over to Iraq with a bomber and blow up all their mosques.”

Not racist huh?

18. Jean-Paul Bentham 17 Oct 2009, 1:16am

George (11):

You said:

“As glad as I am that a footie team expressing homophobia has been removed from their league (and rightly so), I’m also disgusted by some of the racist opinions that surface on this and other comment threads. How racism is any better than homophobia beggers belief, but clearly there are some here who hold to that view.”

Am I to understand that you are a terrorist-supporter?

Ain’t it fun to post an ambiguous comment like yours and then act horribly shocked that the rest of us don’t have the intelligence to understand your asisnine comment?

It’s as good a way to disrupt a thread as any, I suppose, and I am becoming quite accustomed to idiots like you who can spell the King’s English, but who can’t use the language as it was meant to be used, e.g. clearly.

Your ludicrous comments 14, 15, 16 also point to your sympathy for terrorists, as if a good, practcing Muslim wouldn’t slice your head off just as soon as look at you, you infidel. Or are you a Muslim, then?

A good muslim is one who does not practice his/her religion.

The French have written the book on slicing off the heads of abusive, anti-social bastards, or ain’t you never read a history book?

Kicked the out of the Leaugue!!! Wow! There’s one for the history books!

By the way terrorist-supporters are on the police sh*t-list, but you can rest easy for now; I haven’t reported you yet.

19. @ 17 – What vile bile you write. Terrorist supporter?! From pointing out & quoting racist posts by others?! Don’t worry, the police can tell sense from nonsense. You just show your true colours by stating things like a good muslim being a non-practising one. I suppose to you anyone who doesn’t hold to BNP-esque views is a terrorist supporter though.

20. Jean-Paul Bentham 17 Oct 2009, 3:21pm

Georgie (11):

You said:

Am I to understand that you are a terrorist-supporter?

A good muslim is one who does not practice his/her religion.

Kicked the out of the Leaugue!!! Wow! There’s one for the history books!

21. Lucius Malfoy 17 Oct 2009, 6:23pm

George, there are certainly unpleasant posts going around. That one about “black Africa” was definitely racist. The other wasn’t racist but was definitely belligerent.
    My point is that I have seen a situation develop where it is almost impossible to write about gay rights without being accused of being racist. While we’re bringing up friends, I currently live in Sweden and have a friend who is a gay Iraqi who sought asylum here. And he is shocked at how many people within the Iraqi community here still get away with sending their gay sons and daughters back to Iraq when their children, who have grown up in the Swedish culture, come out to them. They’re sent back to be coerced, tortured or worse to get rid of their gayness. And yet recently when there was a TV documentary on this subject, it faced a barrage of protests that it was a racist film, despite the fact that neither race nor Islam was even brought up in the film (It waas simply a set of interviews with gay children and their parents in Sweden, and the parents were saying some very anti-gay stuff, and it happened to be many immigrant parents who were saying these things). What the Iraqi gay community here doesn’t understand is why people who have no relation to this community are so quick to defend it, so quick to call anyone racist who brings up the subject that there are hate-crimes going on that are overlooked due nobody wanting to be called racist for pointing them out. Nowadays, not a thread or newspaper article or TV documentary can talk about the subject of gay rights without the entire discussion being derailed to racism and immigration. And that is sad to me, because it ignores the subject at hand. It ignores the people who suffer from hate-crimes, it ignores gay rights. You took this thread down that road, and that is what prompted my response.

22. Jean-Paul Bentham 20 Oct 2009, 9:52am

George:

Put this in your pipe and smoke it:

http://www.youtube dot com/watch?v=_qxjocm5fCc

It’s never too late to apologize.