Irish schools given guide to lesbian, gay and bisexual students

1. Suvi-Tuuli Mäki-Asiala 12 Oct 2009, 4:58pm

Lesbian, gay, and bisexual, huh? What about us trans-people?

2. Yes, Indeed! What about us TRI-people?

3. Its a start. Give them a chance.

4. Pumpkin Pie 12 Oct 2009, 6:59pm

Result! Hopefully, a trans one will follow suit (different issues need different approaches), but for now this is great news!

5. Jean-Paul Benthaam 12 Oct 2009, 7:20pm

Sean Haughey Said:

“I am delighted to launch this important resource which represents the culmination of a lot of hard work by all concerned and has had the committed involvement of all the education partners.

It will be of very significant practical assistance to principals and schools leaders.”

Congratulations GLEN ! ! !

Now if only those RCC teaching brothers and sisters could be brought to justice for being so cruel under the pretext of educating children. Spare the rod…indeed.

6. i’m just wondering how all those RCC teachers are going to implement this initiative. Their heads are going to spin.

7. Jean-Paul Bentham 13 Oct 2009, 6:39am

Gee, I never thought of that.

xx

8. Ireland’s new found liberalism never ceases to please! Well done them! Another one in the Eye for the centuries of oppressive Catholisism!

9. Simon Murphy 13 Oct 2009, 11:43am

No6: “i’m just wondering how all those RCC teachers are going to implement this initiative.”

Quite easily I imagine.

This image of Ireland being over-run by rabid catholics is quite out of date.

Even though the catholic church tries to maintain its cancerous influence in education there is only a tiny, tiny minority of teachers who are priests and nuns and their influence is negligible. Most teachers are state employees who will welcome guidelines like these I imagine.

10. Simon, the last time i lived in Ireland the rabid catholics were still very much in charge. I’m glad to see things are changing. But I thought even the state run schools still tended to have boards of governors that include the local parish priest who might want to stick a spoke in forward looking ideas like this. Teachers aren’t always free to act of their own conscience.

11. i lost connection and my original message seems to have been eaten. Anyway, in case it doesn’t appear let me restate it.

“Simon, the last time i lived in Ireland the rabid catholics were still very much in charge. At least in the rural areas, if not Dublin. I’m glad to see things are changing. But I thought even the state run schools still tended to have boards of governors that include the local parish priest who might want to stick a spoke in forward looking ideas like this. Teachers aren’t always free to act of their own conscience.

Seriously, I am actually Irish, Simon, though haven’t lived there since the 1980s and haven’t visited since 2005. I always found Ireland’s politics and social issues best viewed from a distance in order to get a better perspective on them. But admittedly for the past few years I have taken my eye off the ball.

12. Brian Burton 14 Oct 2009, 4:16pm

It shows us Rose and Simon how little we all know about giving guidence of the kind in question to anyone. It’s us that needs guidence surely?