Gay Coronation Street star Antony Cotton says Dannii Minogue was right to make bisexual comment

1. Well said Anthony

2. Brian Burton 12 Oct 2009, 7:45pm

So, a self appointed social commetator?

3. @ Brian Burton – well, in fairness, he’s no more a self appointed social commentator than the rest of us here… if someone here chooses to single out his comments on twitter and post them to a wider audience, well maybe he struck a chord somewhere.
    For what it’s worth I agree with what he said. That said I don’t expect to see him on Question Time anytime soon ;)

4. I go with flapjack. He has just as much right to comment as the rest of us. And no more. Dannii goofed, but it was harmless, get over it. Tony, get back to your dreary little mincing bit-part in Corrie and stop trying to be the voice of the “Gay Community” – as if there ever was one. I’m sure Peter Tatchell would be crap in a soap, so equally, don’t try to get political.
    You’re not so much shallow, as damp.

5. “And personally, I think she made a very pro-gay comment.” Exactly how I felt on the manner.

6. The problem is why did she need to bring his sexuality into it. Would she of seen fit to include his sexuality if he was hetro?

We all know it would be no.

So she did act in an irrational way just because he is bi, though it was not a phobic reaction.

7. but if the singer is bi then saying they have to sing it about a man is biphobic.

she was pro-gay but not pro-bi.

8. I agree it seemed like a very pro-gay comment to me too.

9. I think she was scripted, to make the comment on the sexual orientation of the performer, to add spice to the show. The media fell for it, but not the audience.

10. Brian Burton 12 Oct 2009, 11:24pm

Flapjack,
    A little churlish of me I suppose. Anthony Cotton piping up reminded me of Brucy making things worse in the strictly come dancing paki slip up!

11. Brian Burton 12 Oct 2009, 11:40pm

RobN dear,
    You cannot tell some one he’s got the right to an oppinion, then in your next breath say ‘Get back to your dreary, mincing bit-part in Corri!’ and button up. At least Anthony Cotton has a job. I used to be on the stage RobN…sweeping it! By you sweet thing!

12. Brian: The last stage you worked on left Tombstone in 1858.

13. I don’t if she is homophobic or not. Either way, it was none of her damm business to comment on a performer’s sexuality, its got nothing to do with her at all.

14. Brian Burton 13 Oct 2009, 12:07am

RobN,
    Alfred Hitchcock got it right when he stated that actors are like cattle. TV people remind me of cattle too. ITV is looking for a Chief Exec. and nobody is stupid enough to apply for the position or even lay the ground work. The latest person to turn down the ITV job is an elderly Gay Exec Type. I have written a piece on that thread…have a look!

15. Mihangel apYrs 13 Oct 2009, 7:38am

QUOTE: ‘He continued: “Just watched again. Cheryl [Cole] began the slot by saying, ‘He’s singing a woman’s song – it’s ridiculous’.”

So Cole made an anti bi/gay comment – not a whimper from anyone; Minogue suggests that he should have sung it in the original form to be true to (one element) of himself – screams of outrage from big-bully Cowell etc.

And those saying that Minogue isn’t pro-bi, note that the straight world doesn’t see the M-F bit of bisexuality as a problem, only hte same sex bit.

16. I like Dannii but the fact is the comment was un-necessary. What has a person’s sexuality got to do with their singing? Anthony is trying to be a Knight in Shining Armour, coming to the aid of the maiden in distress but methinks said maiden should have realised that her comments might be misconstrued!

17. I think Anthony’s made a really interesting point about Cheryl’s sexist comments, which I remember objecting to at the time and then forgetting all about. I think one of the more interesting issues in all of this is the idea that it’s not okay for a man to sing a woman’s song.

Let’s remember Danyl has not said he is bisexual, in fact if press reports are truly to be believed, as Dannii suggested, then he expressly said he doesn’t identify as gay, bisexual or straight, though he supposedly admitted relationships with men and women and said he wouldn’t rule someone out based on their gender. I think it’s interesting labels have been slapped on him against his will.

Let’s also remember that not so long ago Pink was inaccurately outed as bi by the tabloid press and this site. Dannii’s comments were a faux pas because she made assumptions based on gossip & assumptions about Danyl’s comfort levels with expressing his sexuality, she shouldn’t have.

18. Slow news day?

19. regardless of what she meant by the comment, and really only she knows, I think it was an inappropriate forum at an inapproriate time to make the comment. She is pro gay I know in which case she could have worded it better or realised how it may be taken by the wider public in general. Brain into gear before mouth into motioon next time Dannii

20. Harthacanute 13 Oct 2009, 11:37am

Well said Anthony.

How the hell is homosexuality ever going to be normalised if we take offence every time someone says something as totally inoffensive as that. Anyone with an ounce of commonsense can see that Dannii’s comment was that of a person who is entirely comfortable non-standard sexual orientation and speaking to someone who is open about his bisexuality.

If people want to overreact, then it says more about them and their state of paranoia than it does about the person being attacked.

21. Pumpkin Pie 13 Oct 2009, 3:41pm

How was her comment inappropriate or irrelevant? Danyl was made to sing an altered version of a song to appeal to the hetero public. Dannii was right: why the hell should he have had to change the lyrics?

22. Andy Armitage 13 Oct 2009, 4:17pm

I’m coming round to the idea that this was all a put-up job, anyway, to get attention away from Strictly Come Dancing. A bit of controversy always helps. I agree, though, with many people that Minogue’s comments were just that, a harmless remark, and gays are likely to become too sensitive about too much and be branded shrill, complaining and too ready to take offence.

23. Reading some of these comments alot of people keep saying the comment was inappropriate, and you are only complaining now? they have been making off topic comments for ages, they comment on how people look, on the type of person, on whether they like the person, on their confidence, ok confidence could affect singing some what but they do this and I have moaned each time out loud (though I moan out loud about alot of stuff on Tv), this time it was never they judged him on inappropriate stuff mearly an attempt at a joke (which they do, try to do at times) to say that he didn’t need to go out of his way to change the lyrics of the song to make it “straight”.

24. Danni was right, why should he change the lyrics!!?! Of that’s right because of homophobic morons like Cole! Get some perspective on the ‘incident.’

25. How is that an anti-gay comment?! Kudos to Dannii!!

26. Brian Burton 14 Oct 2009, 9:51am

I’m glad us Poofs are not involved in all this silly, stupid comment comments about comments and who made what comments to whom? We are all waiting for the next booring comment round to take place on some comment page or comment thread as we are commenting now on the comments made by Danni m. and all you lot commenting too. Why don’t you all take a long walk along a short pier and then I’ll comment!

27. Brian: If you are going to quote people, at least get it right. Alfred Hitchcock actually said “Actors ARE cattle”.

28. Brian Burton 14 Oct 2009, 10:31pm

RobN,
    So you were there when Alf said it eh?….Get stuffed!

29. Oooh! Seems your never too old to throw a queenie strop when you’re proven wrong. Whatever happened to the ‘restrained dignity’ in our old folk? *snigger*

30. Brian Burton 16 Oct 2009, 7:46am

RobN,
    This is what you remind me of: Rabbit,rabbit, rabit, rabbit rabbit, rabit,rabit, she wont stop talkin’ why don’t yer givvit a rest…..!

31. Brian Burton 16 Oct 2009, 7:54am

RobN,
    You are so good with your Queeny, bitchy remarks, In which Pantos have you playd Dame?

32. Brian Burton 16 Oct 2009, 7:59am

RobN,
    You are a Poof in a million, you were the reject at the end of the last million…Snigger, snigger!

33. Brian Burton 16 Oct 2009, 8:07am

RobN,
    Half a centuary soon if not already…Tell all these young commentors what it’s like being Half a Centuary old? Snigger, snigger! Thats the ‘BIG 50′ my boy. Double snigger again.(Is’nt this fun?)

34. Brian Burton 16 Oct 2009, 7:06pm

Now where’s that old git RobN got to?