Video: Gay Boyzone star Stephen Gately found dead while on holiday

1. Very sad. Too young. Not a fan of the band at all, but sorry to hear this news.

2. John (Derbyshire) 11 Oct 2009, 11:38am

It said on breakfast today that one of the tabloids was just about to publish a story by an ex road manager of the band

3. How very sad…my thoughts are with his husband, family, friends and fans at this time.

4. Far too young to die . . . very sad news.

5. theotherone 11 Oct 2009, 11:58am

yesterday was the first anniversary of my own brother’s sudden death at an equally young age.

My heart goes out to his partner, family and friends

6. So sudden and so young. Sad, sad news…

7. Brian Burton 11 Oct 2009, 12:26pm

Boyzone all bright stars….Sad News!

8. Mihangel apYrs 11 Oct 2009, 12:34pm

why “openly gay”? Anyine who isn’t out is an unknown in the sexuality stakes…

That said: too, too young to die. If it had anything to do with an upcoming scandal then the muck merchants shoud be shamed.

9. A sweet young man and good role model for young lesbian and gay people. It’s terribly sad.

10. Mihangel, I thought the same thing about the way this article was phrased, but that’s something to take up with the staff writers another time.

My thoughts are with his partner. The way the story is being told here and elsewhere, it seems like he must have been the one to find him dead. I can’t begin to imagine what a shock that was. I hope he has the comfort of friends in coming days.

11. How very sad. My sincere condlences to Andrew Cowles, members of Stephen’s family and all those who loved him.

12. We now have all this legislation in place in this country discouraging or criminalising public expressions of homophobia, yet look at the following – just the first two horrifying threads that Google presented me with. I’m not looking any further. Too frightening.

Click here for homophobia at Punterslounge

Click here for homophobia in London’s
    West Ham

13. Uggh. I gave up on the second set of comments after page two. I have never seen anything so nasty and small-minded. So many of them are assuming that, BECAUSE Steven is gay, he died of drugs, as if one ‘deviation’ infers the other. Please note my inverted commas there. Others, clearly believe that it is possible to die from simply BEING homosexual, or that AIDS kills instantly in some way! Is there REALLY that much ignorance in the world?

I hope Steven’s partner and his family are not exposed to that nastiness.

14. Back in the 90s, when I was learning to accept my sexuality, in a very hostile environment, it helped me a lot that he came out. He was a beautiful singer, but by being brave enough to be openly gay he did so much more.

15. I remember him on the scene in Dublin before he joined Boyzone. We were about the same age. It wasn’t a surprise to anyone in the Irish gay community when he came out. We were all like ‘Finally!’

It’s so sad that he has died. His poor husband and family.

16. Pete & Michael 11 Oct 2009, 6:34pm

He was an inspiration to us all and was well loved. We will miss him, our condolences to his husband Andrew and Family.

17. Mihangel apYrs 11 Oct 2009, 9:05pm

@Rose
    I wasn’t trying to diminish the sadness of it: his death is a tragedy to his husband, family, and friends, and indeed to his fans. But it diminishes his courage to use the “openly” qualifier: he was a gay man, who came out before the slime in the Press could out him in the sleaziest terms. He was a good role model for many youngsters, and it grieves me that a a guy young enough to be my son has gone

18. Thanks to Eddy for highlighting the neo-nazi homophobia on the West Ham fans’ ‘discussion’ forum. I fired off a message to the people who run the site as follows:

“After reading this thread

I hope not all your forum members are this backward and bigoted. After reading through the comments on here, my only thoughts were, all that is missing on your website is a Swastika (I don’t think your sponsors like PaddyPower would be amused though – they sponsor the gay rugby tournament every year, by the way).

They say light comes from heat: I could encourage as many gay football fans as possible to join in the ‘discission’ with the morons celebrating Steven Gately’s death. Or you could encourage people to reconsider their posts.

It’s a shame – I recently, foolishly argued in a piece for WSC that Max Clifford was wrong about football fans, and they aren’t all in the Dark Ages. Your site makes me wonder whether Max is right after all.”

I haven’t time to engage with these idiots but simon murphy or some other radical motormouth might want to join up and tell them that being gay is natural, we evolved to enjoy sex, and answers to all the other bullsh** on there.

19. Well done, AdrianT. Those comments are disgusting and anyone who thinks they’re ‘funny’ needs help.

20. Very sad, I am not a fan of boy bands and hence not a fan of his music but it still sad to hear someone die, especially at his age.

I also find it disgusting the comments posted on the links on Eddy’s comment, a yound man is dead and people feel the need to make stereotypical homophobic jokes just because of the way he was born.

21. Sorry, don’t go on at me, will you. But I am finding it difficult to handle, “his husband and family”. Shouldn’t it be “his partner and family”?

Please help me here?

All the best.

22. chantell bennett 11 Oct 2009, 10:32pm

it was to soon and the other guys in the bank i am sosorry u lost a good singer and a good friend i am a big big fan of the band and cant belive it happend r.i.p

23. Pumpkin Pie 11 Oct 2009, 10:33pm

Please help me here?
    All the best.

Husband = male spouse. Even if gay marriage doesn’t exist, even if civil partnerships didn’t exist, that’s what we’d still call him. No politicians or religious zealots can diminish the beauty of these relationships, nor deprive us of our dignity.

Don’t worry about getting all “technical” with these fiddly terms: we’re bigger than that.

24. Pumpkin, thanks for clearing that up. I tend to use ‘partner’ to be on the safe side, simply because I am not sure whether terms like ‘husband’ or ‘wife’ are appropriate.

Mihangel, I know you weren’t diminishing anything. Pink News is one of the worst offenders for prefacing names with the phrase ‘openly gay’ when it isn’t needed. The way I see it, the ideal would be for gay and lesbian to be thought of as just as ‘normal’ as hetero, taken for granted in every day life. So there should be no more need to call Steven an ‘openly gay singer’ as there would be to call him an ‘openly Irish singer’. We need to lose these prefixes for everyone.

But I think its something to take up with the staff writers on Pink seperately. Right now, the focus is on this 33 year old man with his life before him who is suddenly dead, and his family and friends who love him. This must have been the longest day of their lives and I can’t imagine tomorrow will be any easier for them.

25. auto insurance quotes 12 Oct 2009, 7:31am

So tragic for his husband and family.

To those saying it is impossible to die of natural causes at 33, that is nonsense. One of my friends dropped dead from a heart condition he didn’t know he had, he was only 20 and seemed very fit and healthy. At this stage, nobody knows what happened, just seems like he died in his sleep.

26. I cannot believe the comments on that westham site… to all of you who think homophobia is dead – read the comments here and you will find you are completely deluded.

exactly why i will never go to a football match

27. Sister Mary Clarence 12 Oct 2009, 2:31pm

Can I suggest that anyone who has read the comments on the westhamonline.net website complaints to Kick It Out – 0800 169 9414 – info@kickitout.org.

It is an organisation set up to stamp out racism and homophobia in football.

I’m sure the more complaints they get the better.

28. I am happy to do that, Sister Mary. But its almost 24 hours since Eddy drew our attention to it. Why haven’t West Ham acted to remove these offensive posts? How much do they care about this going on under their banner?

29. Rose: If West Ham were to remove every offensive post, they wouldn’t have a forum. It’s only scumbags that read what each other writes anyway.

Definitely sad for someone to go so young.
    The latest I hear is he went to bed drunk and may have choked on his own vomit. I won’t paraphrase ‘”Spinal Tap.”. Can’t say I liked Boyzone, but a shame, all the same.

30. Pumpkin Pie 12 Oct 2009, 3:35pm

Rose: Pumpkin, thanks for clearing that up. I tend to use ‘partner’ to be on the safe side, simply because I am not sure whether terms like ‘husband’ or ‘wife’ are appropriate.

That’s cool, I use “partner” sometimes, too. Use whichever you like (some gay people don’t even like to use “husband/wife” because they feel it’s too hetero), just don’t ever let anyone make you feel that you can’t use those terms if you want to use them.

31. I sent an email to the info@kickitout.org address asking them to look at the site and use whatever influence they had to get the comments removed. I then had a look at the site’s ‘FAQ’ section and found this honourable promise:

Sexism, racism, homophobia od disability

The subjects of sexism, racism and sexuality come up fairly often. In many cases lively, informative and unabusive debate ensues. We have no problem with this, however, abuse of posters, players or people in general based on their race, religion, gender, politics or sexuality is not acceptable; neither is abuse based upon disability. On the issue of politics, please remember that this is not a publicly owned site and electioneering will not be tolerated.

For the purposes of using the site, we accept that there will be a degree of banter that will cross the line for some of posters earlier than others and a modicum of discretion on behalf of those moderating will have to be exercised. Posters should be aware however; that not all moderators will have the same views as to what has passed beyond banter into offence.

This then relies on you, the user, to exercise a little common sense. If you think you�re getting a bit close to the wire, then ease of a little. If you think that someone might take offence at your posting, don�t post it. If you do, and it gets deleted, you will have to live with it. We do not expect our moderators to have to justify every deletion.

Based on the four or so pages of comments I scanned through their moderators must be either asleep, absent or so incedibly ineffective they don’t warrant their title…

32. Sister Mary Clarence 12 Oct 2009, 5:48pm

Rose – although not being a football buff I didn’t realise, its actually an unofficial fan site not under the control of West Ham

33. No, the West Ham online discussion forum is nothing to do with West Ham United. It may be worthwhile writing to WHU and alerting them to the fact that this forum is an unmonitored gay-hate echo-chamber, and that if it takes its Equality Standard seriously, it will have nothing to do with the website.

34. I am a football fan, but don’t frequent football forums so wouldn’t know. West Ham certainly ought to be made aware of what is being said in their name, though.

RobN, no forum is better than an offensive one in this case! If that’s really the best they can do!

35. A shame they locked the thread. there was nothing I would enjoy more than to take these scumbags on.

36. AdrianT: Having spent many an hour on live chat with trolls, bible-bashers, queer-bashers, anti-fags or whatever you want to call them, it becomes apparent that most of these people are total f_ckwits and only want to stir up trouble. Do you seriously think you can have a logical and straightforward argument with that bunch of cretins? I assure you, you will not win. They are too pigsh!t stupid to even understand. People like that are best blanked, and then they will shuffle off to find some other fools willing to argue with them.

37. vulpus_rex 12 Oct 2009, 9:41pm

I’ve obviously been in a news blackhole for the last 48 hours as this is the first I heard of SG’s demise!

Poor lamb – I met him once in the news agents in North London near where he and my boyf used to live. He was extremely charming and knew exactly how to deal with a star struck fan who tried to chat him up as he bought his pint of milk.

38. Sure thing RobN – but the opportunity to tell them what I think of them, and earn their hatred is always appealing. Look, see it from my point of view: I spent most of the day writing on how to laser engrave dry-offset plates for a Polish printer’s magazine, I just need a distraction.

39. Sam Kaufman 13 Oct 2009, 12:34am

R.I.P. Stephen Gately, he was a talented singer

40. Sister Mary Clarence 13 Oct 2009, 4:06am

Well I take my hat off to Kick It Out – every comment on the entire westhamonline thread has been deleted

41. Rose, I did email Kick it out and had a reply from them –

Hello Graham

Many thanks for your recent email in relation to the offensive messages posted on to the westhamonline.net fans site.

I have contacted the moderators of the site and have asked them to remove all comments. I have also asked them to monitor the posts going forward and to remove any offensive messages as and when they appear.

So – at least some one takes notice!

42. glad to hear that.

43. Graham –

Good work, Comrade!

44. So sad that Jan Moir has decided to write nonsense in today’s Daily Mail about this – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1220756/Why-natural-Stephen-Gatelys-death.html

I have commented and I suspect others may wish to do likewise:

Vile, vile, vile!

To use the premature death of one gay man to condemn the lifestyle of the rest is in particularly poor taste. Stephen was “out” but he never claimed to be any kind of role model; just himself.

To use your own disbelief at the widely-reported circumstances of his death to create some kind of general malaise around Civil Partnership beggars belief. If any kind of message is to be sent to young gay men then is it certainly not that the foaming-mouthed Jan Moir sadly dissaproves!