Student creates new gay gaming survey

1. The Halcyon 9 Oct 2009, 5:27pm

having been a gamer for the past 26 years, I couldn’t resist filling in the survey. I have commented that I’m not sure how many video games would benefit from explicit gay or bisexual characters. Certainly those which have romantic options for progression would be a little more meaningful to play but it’s not necessary. I’d rather have a proper romantic option fleshed out rather than some gushing, Mills & Boon-eqsue piece of crap.

2. For f_ck’s sake, grow up.

3. I can’t believe people still play video games. I’m guessing they are the same people that still list to Urban music.

4. Pumpkin Pie 9 Oct 2009, 8:47pm

Oh, I saw this one over at GayGamer.net. I just started filling it in but already the sexuality question is confusing. I’ve gone for “usually heterosexual, but more than a little homosexual”, because I’m attracted to noticeably more women than men. Funny, I would have just called that bisexual, but according to them, bisexuality means “equally heterosexual and bisexual”. Huh.

Vidyagaems are great, but they do tend to attract freaks and knuckle-draggers, so I’m not holding out any great hope for the gaming community to get better any time soon.

For f_ck’s sake, grow up.

Uttered by RobN? That’s the funniest juxtaposition I’ve seen since Arnold Schwarzenegger and the position of Governor of California.

5. Pumpkin Pie 9 Oct 2009, 8:51pm

Wait, although I like women more than men quantitatively, I like them both equally in a qualitative sense. Is that what this question is asking me? Are we supposed to be interpreting it in our own way? Oh, screw this. I’ll fill it in when I can be bothered.

6. The Halcyon 10 Oct 2009, 5:03pm

Move over Voltaire, watch out Oscar Wilde – RobN has arrived and is looking to steal your crown.

7. Vincent Poffley 10 Oct 2009, 5:55pm

Sadly I fear that it will be a very long time, if at all, before we see major AAA videogame titles, like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, or Metal Gear featuring gay main protagonists. The main problem is the extremely conservative decision-makers in the industry, who will almost never touch controversial areas like this when there is a fear of alienating their mainstream audiences. It does not help that almost all major games manufacturers are Japanese, and Japan has a terminally risk-averse culture where homosexuality is generally ignored. This is a creative industry where it is very difficult to push the envelope and try something that might be perceived to lose a company money.

Though quite why it is perceived to be a risk to bringing in the money I cannot fathom. It is a palpably silly idea that straight gamers cannot identify with or appreciate plots involving gay characters, or that male players cannot appreciate plots involving female characters. As a gay gamer I am constantly expected to, and do, identify with straight male and female characters in my games, so why is it such a big deal when it’s the other way around?

8. I take it when RobN and Andy Q think of a video game they remeber there 30s and the ZX Spectrum, gaming is just as an instrest as anything else in the world just cos you don’t understand it don’t dismiss it. and on the internet too are you crazy!

9. Yes old men, go back to your wireless radios.

10. I’m an avid gamer so I’ll take a look at the survey. Some games do allow same sex people to form relationships eg. Sims 3, Fable 2. My fav is the resident evil series as the women are hot and the gameplay excellent! Ps. I’m not a freak or a knuckle dragger.

11. “Ideally, I want to learn what exactly it is that gaymers want from their games and how that differs from their heterosexual counterparts.”

I’m confused by this statement… are we from another planet or something to that different? How much “different” do we need the games to be, and why?

I think this sort of research only adds to the belief that gay people are markedly different form “our straight counterparts”.

12. Matt/Nuriboy: I was using “The Internet” when it didn’t even have a name. I was using chatrooms on a Commodore 64 when you were still in short trousers sunshine; Don’t f_cking patronise me.

13. Given that video games now account for about 60% of home entertainment sales (overtaking DVDs I believe), its kind of hard to dismiss them as things only for kids. Although many so-called grown-ups could make use of being a bit of a kid and pull their heads out of their behinds.

14. Just tried to complete this survey.

Next time, the author should compile the questions whilst not hungover, or enlist the proof-reading services of some friends in an attempt to eliminate some rather bewildering questions and possible answers.

15. “I certainly understand technology, but games, like comics, toys and cuddly animals should be put aside for more useful adult pastimes.”

And this coming from the man who has a life of self imposed celibacy becaszue of anger issues? Are you serious? You are not the man to be making judgment calls on others for what they call fun. No games, no toys, no fun, and no sex…. no life.

16. Will: My self-imposed celibacy has f_ck all to do with anger. I just don’t suffering twats like you. People that go through life constantly wanting ‘fun’ are the ones that usually come to a sticky end. I have a great life thanks, I just don’t need to stick my head in a bucket-shaped fantasy world, or shag some virus-riddled sex-obsessed mincer to get my kicks.

17. Vincent Poffley 14 Oct 2009, 3:44pm

“more useful adult passtimes”? Where do you get off trying to prescribe to people what they should find enjoyable?