First official gay Tory party hailed a success despite Stonewall boycott

1. What success the NuTories invited the homophobes and fascists into the hart of its conference. LGBTory where relegated to outside the conference in Canal Street.

Why do I get the feeling the NuTories wanted LGBTory out the way while the homophobic and fascist European friens of the NuTories speek at conference.

2. I wait for the barrage of anti-Tory hatred to appear here. Simon Murphy, Eddy, Abi, et al.

You complain when these people step out of line, but when they try to do something about it, you denigrate them. I am no Tory, however, every political party has to move with the times and keep in line with the current opinions. I don’t deny they have got themselves a pretty rotten reputation within the gay populace, but let’s be fair, they couldn’t do any worse than Labour if they tried. Once they’ve won the next election, (not ‘if’, but ‘when’.), we shall see if they live up to their promises. Oh, and all those NuLabourites that claim Tories just lie, what about Labour’s election manifesto pledge for a European referendum? 15 years on and we are still waiting as they try to slide us in through the back door.

3. Simon Murphy 7 Oct 2009, 4:44pm

No 2: RobN: “I wait for the barrage of anti-Tory hatred to appear here. Simon Murphy, Eddy, Abi, et al.”

Ta-dah. And here I am.

RobN – I don’t hate the Tories, but I will judge their professed commitment to equality by the company they keep. The Tory alliance in Europe with the facist Law and Justice Party from Poland cannot simply be swept under the carpet by the Tories denying the Polish Party is facist because we all have eyes and ears and can see that the Law and Justice Party is lying.

Facism is either acceptable to the Tories or it is not.

If facism is unacceptable to the Tories then I want to see evidence that the Polish Law and Justice Party has changed both inside Poland and in their dealings internationally.

It is of course entirely unacceptable for the Law and Justice Party to be denying the gay population freedom of association within Poland (by banning gay pride parades for example) and to be inciting hatred (by calling them ‘fags’ and ‘perverts’ and claiming that acceptance of homosexuality will lead to the destruction of civilisation) and then to be pretending they are not supporting facism when they are speaking internationally.

Great that the Gay Tories are having a little get together. But the alliance with the Polish party is a hugely worrying, unresolved issue for them.

And I am sure even you can agree with that.

4. I remember Tory clause 28, I rememeber the fight against Tories for an equal age of consent, I remember most clearly that the Conservatives are NOT supportive of LGBT people.

As a gay person I can no more vote conservative than a Jew could vote for the National Socialist Party of Nazi Germany…but even they had their Jewish Kapo.

I do not trust the Conservatives, I do not believe Conservatives when it comes to LGBT equality in law, especially with their alliance with a Polish fascist party.

5. I wish Simon would learn how to spell fascism. I am quite partial to faces.

6. Notice how the Queen-lovin’ Bishop-lovin’ toffee-nosed Tories have decided to shove their Eric Pickles with his ornery workin’-class type of voice and mannerisms (know wot I mean) in our faces? They trying DESPERATELY to hide who they REALLY are!

RobN, re. your opinions above, your posts on these threads have proven you’re nothing but a misanthrope.

7. @RobN (2): “Once they’ve won the next election, (not ‘if’, but ‘when’), we shall see if they live up to their promises.”

Sorry, but we can’t afford to take that chance. With that sentence you’ve admitted that even you think voting Tory might mean five years of homophobic policies.

8. Sister Mary Clarence 7 Oct 2009, 7:01pm

” …but I will judge their professed commitment to equality by the company they keep”

Okay, Simon, so lets extrapolate that theory out slightly then shall we ….

Let’s focus on NuLabours attachment to the US government, a country that doesn’t accept gay people in the military (unless that keep quiet about it), doesn’t allow same sex marriage, and of course doesn’t comply with the Geneva Convention – okay so could you profer some pearls of wisdom on Labour’s ‘special’ relationship with the US, and also talk us through how and why they do nothing to criticise US conduct in relation to equalities – after all it was you who said, “I judge their professed commitment to equality by the company they keep”.

9. Charlie: There is an old joke – “How do you know when a politician is lying? A: When his lips move.”

“Sorry, but we can’t afford to take that chance.” – Ah right, so you would rather vote for the same incompetent, corrupt, lying, cheating bunch of scumbags that we’ve had for the last fifteen years, because ‘at least you know they will be consistent’.
    Labour has fallen down on virtually every single promise they have made in their election manifestos.

I trust no politician or party, and one always has to take a gamble. Personally, I’ll be voting UKIP, but even they may not do the right thing, even if they win, (which is highly unlikely).

10. Simon Murphy 7 Oct 2009, 10:32pm

No8: Mary Clarence: “Let’s focus on NuLabours attachment to the US government, a country that doesn’t accept gay people in the military (unless that keep quiet about it), doesn’t allow same sex marriage, and of course doesn’t comply with the Geneva Convention – okay so could you profer some pearls of wisdom on Labour’s ‘special’ relationship with the US”

Indeed. And the Tories would have done the EXACT same thing. Both want to maintain the ‘special relationship’ with the US. The US is far more powerful than Britain. Whether Britain is strong allies with the US or not, is far more important to Britain than it is to the US. Britain is utterly ineffective in shaping policy in the US as it is not required to do so.

Poland on the other hand is far less rich and powerful than Britain is. For the probable next government to be allying themselves with the far right fringes in Poland has a far more negative effect. Britain is more powerful than Poland. And for the potential next government to grant Europe wide legitimacy to a bunch of Polish bigots is plain wrong.

11. I just want to say… I really like some of the discussions on Pink-News. I wish I lived on a street with RobN, Sister Mary, Simon M… it just feels like it would be endless fun. \(^_^)/

12. Eagle Ashcroft 8 Oct 2009, 2:48am

Since the word Tory means outlaw in the Irish language and there were lots of outlaws protesting about the gay person elected to office saying they were there to save souls, that does not make any sense.Why would an outlaw care about anyone’s soul? It seems these outlaws are like your Mafia that go to church so they can earn a place in heaven, but they are still outlaws. Are these conservative outlaws hoping their god will forgive for being outlaws by saving souls? Why don’t they just give up being outlaws and then try saving souls? But whose soul do they want to save and save from what? All of this protesting stuff don’t make no sense as the dictionary says a Tory is from an Irish word meaning robber or outlaw, yet robbers and outlaws were protesting that a gay outlaw and one of their own outlaws had just gotten elected to a high position in the government. You would think they would be happy that one of their own had gotten in power. What do they want, him to have become the King of England? It seems crooks are never happy. The cops ought to round up them outlaws and stuck them all away in the pokey where they belong.

13. Michael Mason 8 Oct 2009, 11:35am

I want to throw up when I hear Herbert boast that he is in the shadow cabinet and ” I have never experienced any prejudice or obstacle along the way.”
    Why did he not experience any prejudice? Because a lot of people underwent harassment, abuse and even violence fighting for his freedom against the very party that he chooses to “serve”.
    History is littered with people selling out to the enemy for their own self-advancement.

14. OMG! The Tories pretend to be gay friendly and hold an event that the Christian Right picket!!!! What is happening to the world? Its all gone mad! AND the Christians said they had a good time!!!!!

15. tsuchan: I doubt we would all live on the same street. There are way too many differences, and not only of opinion.

Mind you, a little soiree in the West End might be fun. Either a good laugh or descend into a punch-up, I’m not sure which.

16. vulpus_rex 8 Oct 2009, 2:17pm

“And for the potential next government to grant Europe wide legitimacy to a bunch of Polish bigots is plain wrong.”

However it is an unfortunate facet of realpolitik that one occasionally has to hold ones nose and get on with it.

I suspect strongly that Polish politicians are simply a red herring for most of the Tory detractors in here. If it wasn’t that then there would be some other pettyfogging, trivial reason to sustain their tribal hatred of a party they are probably too young to remember last in power.

It would be nice if they could just come clean and say so instead of wallowing in rubbish like this.

Anyway I’m glad that the even was very well attended and a success – I might go if they hold it somewhere civilised next time.

17. Sister Mary Clarence 8 Oct 2009, 11:26pm

“For 53 years the Tories fought like cats against any and every move to secure human rights for lesbians and gays – first against legalization, then against lowering the age of consent from 21, against an equal age of consent, for Section 28, against gay teachers being allowed to teach, against gay service personnel, against, against, against.”

Yeah, right, and the world’s flat!!!

Where do people get their facts from?

It was a Tory that first proposed a bill to legalise homosexuality – which I have to say in my mind does really count as “fighting like cats against any and every move to secure human rights for lesbians and gays”

Jesus, there appear to be some people on here working on the asumption the world is flat

18. RobN: Sure, lots of differences. It would be a colourful street. I just think it would be a very fun street too.

Yes, the alternative of a soiree in the West End also sounds fun. But for the next few months, I’m currently at my closest to the West End (at about 206 miles North). For most of the rest I’ll be around 5900 miles to the East. (^_-)

19. The Tories under the direction of a women in the obvious early stages of dementis implemented section 28 yet all those gays in the Tory party who were closeted were behind the bitch and feared speaking out.
    Anyboby within the gay community with an ounce of inteligence will be aware that the Tories cannot be trusted in regard to LGBT issues unles it is to there advantage, case in point Manchester or Brighton.
    David Cameron needs to publicly condem the worst prime minsiter of all time apart form Robert Peel and properly apologise for voting to retain section 28.

20. Conference Pride was a hugely successful event and enjoyed by all! There were at least six Conservative MPs present, including the Party Chairman and four shadow Ministers.

There were more than a dozen Prospective MPs in attendance too and we all had a lot of fun! As Ben Summerskill said this week, it’s more likely that there’ll be more out LGBT MPs on the Conservative benches than either the Labour or Lib Dem ones! I personally think that will be something for the LGBT community to celebrate!

21. Cllr Stephen Ellis 10 Oct 2009, 1:51pm

What a great night it was! A great time was had by all – and it was pleasing to see that we had the support and attendance of so many MPs, parliamentary candidates and members of the Shadow Cabinet.

I spoke with Ben Summerskill from Stonewall after their conference fringe meeting on Wednesday. He told the Conservatives that Stonewall couldn’t attend the event as it was a fundraiser and this was contrary to the charitable aims of Stonewall. Ben also highlighted that there had been some confusion about who was attending and issues about the guaranteed impartiality of Stonewall’s presence. Therfore, Stonewall didn’t “pull out at the last minute” or “boycott” the event as many media bodies have tried to report. You should never believe what you see in the media – and you’ll notice that Ben made no comment about the event on the Tuesday itself – which shows where the comments came from.

Speaking at the Stonewall Fringe Meeting, Ben Summerskill paid tribute to the changes within the Conservative Party and noted that we had more openly LGBT candidates standing that both Labour and the Lib Dems combined. He noted how much the Party had changed in his time as being CEO of Stonewall.

The Conservative Party has changed, is much more inclusive and stands up for LGBT issues. All we need now is to work together – across ALL political views – to champion equality and LGBT issues.

Stephen Ellis