Police appeal for witnesses to Central London homophobic attack

1. Brian Burton 5 Oct 2009, 7:16am

Central London is the last place I would enter at midnight. There are many ‘One Flew Over The Cookoo’s Nest’ types on the prowl about then I think!

2. A 62 year old subjected to vicious attack for being gay. Many of us reading this article will feel sick, disgusted and angry and that will be the end of the matter.

Had this attack been within any other minority group you can bet your bottom dollar there would be a discussion on local radio this morning – was there any discussion on LBC this morning? Nope.

Will there be a peaceful show on strength on the streets of London by the LGBT community highlighting/protesting that too many homophobic are taking place? Nope.

Will the gay press print a page within their publication asking us to sign a petition to pass onto government expressing our concerns about the number of homophobic attacks? Nope

Why is it many in the community turn their back on homophobia?

From my own experience the Met (police) in London deal with reports of homophobia very seriously and in my case were superb. PLEASE REORT ALL homophobia to the police this can be done via third parties and anonymously.

Lee

3. Further to my comments on everyone tilting at windmills over a gay man verbally insulted by kids on bikes, I think this incident proves my point and demonstrates the perspective and proportion people should apply to things like this. It’s not that I condone verbal abuse, but if this sort of thing is complained about constantly, the authorities will just see it as a “cry wolf” scenario, and when actually serious, such as this happens, it will be treated with the same apathy.

Active pressure needs to be applied on the government to include homophobia in the equality bill, and incidents such as this should be listed and where allowed, graphically displayed.

It’s incredible that this sort of thing can happen in Central London, in a brightly lit and highly populated area riddled with CCTV cameras and the West End police station within spitting distance. Where the hell were the police?

4. sadly my ex partner who was attacked will never recover

5. @Brian Burton

So do you think homophobic assaults do not happen anywhere else? You make is sound like it is the victim’s fault for being in Central London. Central London is usually relatively safe at the time because of the amount of people still on the streets.

Surely the attackers will be on CCTV.

I wish the victims a speedy recovery.

6. Simon Murphy 5 Oct 2009, 5:47pm

No5: TomTom: “Surely the attackers will be on CCTV.”

You’d think. But the effectiveness of CCTV in solving crimes has never been established. Despite being the country with the most surveillance in the western world I don’t think there is any evidence to suggest it’s succeeded.

7. At what point do we say enough is enough and get on the streets and show them we wont take it any more!

We nee to put the protest back into the LGBT

8. Jean-Paul Bentham 5 Oct 2009, 7:46pm

Abi1975:

How true. There’s no time like the present.

I suggest you fight fire with fire and give the world a good example of how to give the justice system a helping hand.

Notably by using pepper spray to give the little b*stards a pretty good idea of what pain feels like.

On the off-chance that the police are even remotely aware of your methods of defending yourselves and insist that pepper spray is illegal in the UK, then it would be time to start naming names of perfessionals of all kinds who regularly contribute to the blackmarket industry by purchasing and using marijuana, hashish and cocaine.

While the police are busy rounding up society’s white collar criminals, you could be doing their job of clearing the streets of the scum that attack and hurt tax-paying citizens of the UK, young and elderly, male or female.

Also, if you need to feel your blood boiling before launching a counter offensive, I dare say you could find all the inspiration you will need by researching the Archives of PinkNews and re-reading comments made by the multi-faced M*nkeychops and his accomplices, notably one Wrobben, another sadistic, fannie-moron who thinks he knows everything about everything at all times and everywhere.

But I ain’t bitter.

9. For anyone that isn’t familiar with central London this must sound bizarre – a man attacked near Trafalgar square an no-one saw it happen? There are loads of small streets dotted around the area, some virtually no more than service roads for the backs of large buildings, hotels and the like. It’s very tempting to use these as shortcuts and avoid the mayhem of drunken (mainly striaght!) people who stagger around between to and from bars, buses and the Tube at around that time on the main streets.

Unfortunately, many of these shortcuts aren’t well lit and have no CCTV. The Police are not likely to be patrolling them as there’s little going on there and they are deployed to be more visible in heavily trafficked areas.

The lesson is, annoying as it might be, don’t take shortcuts, but stick to the main streets. There’s a better chance you will avoid this kind of disgusting attack and even if you don’t you are more likely to encounter a Police response or a good Samaritan.

10. Jean-Paul if we used pepper spray in the UK we would be in court ourself for GBH or even ABH :( such is the law in the UK. In my local paper a little while ago somebody who used an umbrella to beat off an attacker has be charged with assault themselves.

11. Jean-Paul Bentham 5 Oct 2009, 10:05pm

Abi1975:

I know that.

So what?

Roll the dice…and use pepper spray to defend yourselves!

12. Where can I buy pepper spray?

13. Bob: In UK? You can’t. It’s even illegal to possess it. Mind you, given the option, I’d carry a Taser. May as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb.

14. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Oct 2009, 5:28am

Where can I buy pepper spray?

Comment by Bob — October 6, 2009 @ 1:26

15. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Oct 2009, 6:51am

Don’t look at me! I wouldn’t even think of sending you some portable rainbow-colored canisters from Canada, with sparkles, and a glow-in-the-dark feature.

I could send you some of our criminals though, that ain’t illegal, is it?