Florida court throws out case of lesbian banned from seeing dying partner

1. America, as mad the countries it invades.
    Bloody disgusting

2. A sickening case of homophobia. Never mind America proclaiming to tackle homophobia around the world, they seriously need to sort out their own mess first.

3. Another “glorious” day for the “land of the free and the home of the brave”.

4. This seems petty beyond belief. As the two were on a cruise together there can be no doubt that they were partners, so it’s not as though some person just turned up and the hospital were unsure of her identity. It can only be blatant homophobia.

5. Pumpkin Pie 30 Sep 2009, 4:53pm

About as vile and disgusting as it is totally expected of a state like Florida. Don’t they still hang gays there?

If anyone denied me access to my dying partner, they’d be eating their next meal through a straw. …Or maybe I would. I am pretty weak. :p

6. This is getting to be exhausting,,,,Another state and place to write off in my ever-expanding list of unfriendly tourist places. I refuse to put my hard earned money in places that are this horrifying. But i do like to go one step further. It is one thing to gnaw and chew over these things and quite another to write to their senator and governor and minister of tourism and tell them why you are not goign there. one letter might be thrown to the side with a “super!! one less fag or lesbian coming here” to a mass of letters and then they think “oh! we’re losing hundreds of thousands of dollars here!”,,,money always talks and we all have a pen or a keyboard right??? lets stick by this woman,,,she’s certainly stuck by all of us!

7. I will also not be going to Florida. What a nasty bunch.Some Hospital officials are basically twats the world over .must be pretty proud of themselves. When i support mental health patients gain admission its like getting into Fort Knox most of the time.
    I wonder if same sex partnerships enjoyed in some european countries are recognised in America.

8. I wouldn’t go to Florida or indeed anywhere where they kill thier own people. Which, for the USA leaves only Alaska and Hawaii. Poor Janice and Lisa. I hope this isn’t the end of this story.

9. This is just… really sad.

10. Har Davids 30 Sep 2009, 8:06pm

Are the beings working at that hospital human?

11. One (very thin) silver lining. When this story originally broke I raised it with my HR department that none of the options for my ‘marital status’ on the system were applicable (single, married, widowed, etc), and therefore my partner could be subject to similar treatment, especially if the reason for me to be admitted to hospital was an accident at work. It would have taken one of my colleagues to call him to let him know what was going on.

In the last fortnight they have come back to me to say they have added ‘Civil Partner’ and ‘With Partner’ to the status and next-of-kin options so that I can have him as a primary contact and the company will treat him as my significant other.

As I work for a multinational company, this change has taken place across the board and I have been speaking to colleagues (gay, lesbian, bi and straight co-habiting) to let them know; those that wish are changing their status accordingly.

Just wanted to point out that sometimes one sympathetic/sensible person in a position of authority is all it takes. If only some of them were working in hospitals in Miami…

12. I live in a country where same sex relationships aren’t recognized. It’s my home country but my partner is foreign, this kind of thing is my worst nightmare. I’m the only family she has here and I’d die if I was ever refused to see her should anything ever happen to her. My deepest and sincere condolences to Janice and the rest of her family.

I for one will never go to Florida, shame on America

13. To all those idiots who do not understand why same-sex marriage is vitally important this is a perfect example.

14. 21stCenturySpirituality 30 Sep 2009, 10:46pm

I am absolutely disgusted and appalled by this story. How any nurse or doctor or any kind of health or social care professional could consider this kind of treatment of a human being an appropriate response to the next of kin of a dying person is beyond me. It absolutely beggars belief for me. If there are any health care professionals reading this, particularly from America, I’d love to hear what you have to say about this because I am lost on this one. This is not right in a civilised and evolved society. Absolutely appalling! Very sad.

15. This simply appalls me. I am a nurse in a state that is anti-gay but I would never let this happen on my floor. Family is whomever the patient and their family claims. Gay, straight, or otherwise. And that is a basic principle learned in the fundamentals of nursing — support the patient and they’re own beliefs. It was a BLATANT disregard of what those nurses are ethically supposed to do.

I do realize that it’s a social worker that would not allow Janet to see her partner, but the nurse has the most face-time with a patient. A nurse should have been there to advocate for their patient. It’s a shame.

16. God Bless Americ….Snort/ omg sorry, couldnt say it with a straight face.

The world would be better off if it was nuked.

17. Eagle Ashcroft 1 Oct 2009, 3:04am

That’s Florida alright; one of the most backward “Third World Country” states along with Kansas in the USA. Both Florida and Kansas ought to be cut off from the USA as anti-human and anti-civil rights states. We all need to boycott any products made in either state. Gays and lesbians ought to pour in from around the country to picket that snake pit hospital. This is an outrage and totally unacceptable behavior by both the court and the hospital. The poor woman will now become so depressed she could possibly have a nervous break down. My heart goes out to her. For now on when ever I see a Florida license plate in my town I’ll remind them they are not welcomed here!

18. This is my great country, U.S.A; it’s true government at work. They are always the first ones to critizes other nations about human rights issues but when it happens in their nation, no one in government has anything to say. Welcome to the real America!

19. This story sickens me to the core and for the the hospital to treat LGBT people in this inhumane manner is beyond belief, barbaric.

20. Aussie Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 1 Oct 2009, 11:01am

The southern parts of America (run by rednecks and bigots) is a very evil place because it “does not allow freedom of marriage for gays”.

21. All, please let Florida tourist Board know how you feel at http://www.visitflorida.com/feedback. I just did.

22. Ward and George in Hawaii 2 Oct 2009, 3:41am

It is humiliating as an American and a nurse to realize the profundity of the hatred and stupidity that grips so much or our country ostensibly identified as “the land of the free!”

One of us from the “free states” must note that the focus of this blind bigotry is in the evil of the confederacy, and regret their defeat in their war of secession — let them begone!

Ward and George
    54 Years together
    And yet
    Strangers befpre the law.

23. WOW These are the people that are supposed to be serving the PATIENTS needs not their own narrow minded bigotry! A patients rights should come first! Not allowing family in to see a patient is horrific! I will tell you this, and they can celebrate all they want, but i am leaving Florida with all the stupid ignorance I keep seeing here over this subject!