Exclusive: Man fired from Christian radio station for revealing he was gay

1. I think, sadly, that this guy is kidding only himself if he really thinks his colleagues at his radio station & evangelical church were ever his friends. Someone who professes friendship with strings attached and a list of clauses in the small print of the friendship, is no friend at all.

2. Christians. What lovely people.

3. This is almost the reverse of the Lilian Ladelle case last year. I guess the question you have to ask is does being gay interfere with the job? If he was applying for the post of Pope then almost certainly yes, but this one’s more of a grey area. Should religious dogma be acceptable grounds for discrimination as a religious DJ?
    For me personally I can’t see why he’d want to work there anyway if that’s their attitude, but then I’m not a Christian.
    The point is how did the Lillian Ladelle case pan out in the end, and should we accept that as the template for all future arbitration of religious/ homophobic disputes in the workplace? My feeling is we can’t have it both ways. If Lillian didn’t have what it took to be a Gay marriage registrar, maybe by the same token this guy doesn’t have what it takes to be on a dogmatically religious radio station.

4. I feel sorry for him but what else did he really expect? And what exactly was he ‘presenting’? Presumably the usual oppressive and irrational Evangelical message that they are in exclusive possession of the truth? Still, I hope he makes a lot of trouble for them.

5. Sadly another example of ‘Christians’ forgetting to love one another as Christ loved us. No wonder reactions on pages like this are so bitter.

I am a Christian and these kind of stories sadden me.

6. @ flapjack: I don’t think this case and the other one you mention are comparable in that way to be honest. In the case of the christian woman Lilian, she lost her job because she felt “unable” to treat everyone with the same level of respect, but instead chose to only deal properly with heterosexual people.

In this case, someone was doing their volunteer job properly and was fired because of being gay. They did not let their sexuality, or views on it, interfere with their doing the job as was the situation with Lilian.

7. Vo Dong Cung 29 Sep 2009, 7:49pm

I clearely see that the church just do what they want regardless any goodworks from volunteers. Their doctrine is cover-up their crimes and protect their paedophile priests rather than to volunteers

8. It’s fair to assume that the legal challenge will hinge on whether a person who works for an organisation without a salary and without a contract of employment is nevertheless a worker of that organisation, and whether such a worker is eligible for Sexual Orientation Regulations (2003) protection. It could hardly be argued that an organisation was exempt from providing volunteers Health and Safety protection, or access to a subsidised workplace canteen, because “they are unpaid”. Moral outrage has its place, of course, but the way to fight this kind of bigotry is through the law. I hope Mr Nolan’s point of view prevails.

9. Simon Murphy 29 Sep 2009, 8:22pm

I can understand that voluntary workers need not be protected under Employment Equality legislation as charities and churches are entitled to their own ethos. If this religious station has a problem with homosexuality then they shouldn’t be expected to welcome him with open arms.

However one major point missing from this story. The article states “The radio station is on a Restricted Service Licence, which is usually given to stations which serve a specific community or cover a certain event”

How are these restricted licenses granted? Who grants them and what are the requirements needed? The station is run by the Victoria Park Fellowship, an evangelical church. They are entitled to hold whatever nasty beliefs they like. But if their ethos is to be homophobic and discriminatory then they should have their license to broadcast revoked.

I doubt the BNP would be granted a license to broadcast a racist station. Why should there be a double standard when the bigotry is justified by religion?

10. Simon Murphy 29 Sep 2009, 8:26pm

Revoking their license does not impinge on their freedom of speech as having a broadcasting license is not necessary to express their views.

This is in no way similar to the Ladelle case by the way. She was a public servant who refused to do her paid job ie serve ALL the public, even though her job requires it.

11. Ian Carrington 29 Sep 2009, 8:39pm

Rose – yes, it’s very sad indeed.

Riondo – our show did not espouse an evangelical message. It was too light-hearted for that, to be honest. It was a tight, part-scripted comedy production where we played rock music, destroyed CDs with power tools and waxed hairy men. (!)

I have never been evangelical, but I have always had evangelical friends. I know many evangelical Christians that struggle with their received opinions on homosexuality, and many have changed their opinion simply by knowing a real life gay man like me. It’s a remarkable thing to watch. The evangelical church cannot change, but people within it can.

My MP has just told me he is, as a result of my case, investigating whether the new Equality Bill can be amended to cover volunteer workers. Fingers crossed, but things like this are an uphill battle.

If you want to know more about my side of things, have a look at my blog http://www.fatroland.com. If I have any more developments, I’ll post news there.

12. Ian Carrington 29 Sep 2009, 8:43pm

Simon – Ofcom have washed their hands of this. They are only interested in broadcast content (i.e. saying *specific* things that cause offense), not with employment or contract law.

13. Brian Burton 29 Sep 2009, 8:45pm

Rose,
    I was glad to read you are Christian. I thought I was the only Gay Christian on these threads. This man told his employers he is Gay so they told him to go. It’s upsetting to see this happen to another Gay. I hope things work out for him.

14. Flapjack said: “I guess the question you have to ask is does being gay interfere with the job? If he was applying for the post of Pope then almost certainly yes”

That made me laugh…Didn’t seem to harm the prospects of the current incumbent of the ‘Throne of St Peter’….The only thing that harms the prospects of becoming Pope are honesty and Christ-like behaviour…

15. Hmmm, so let me get this straight… he’s working a voluntary job where the powers that be are homophobes and don’t accept him for who he is. And he’s disappointed by their decision to sack him from his unpaid post?
    IMO they did him a favour. In his shoes I would take that experience and apply for a paid job at another radio station where I was appreciated and I wouldn’t look back. They have nothing to offer him, even by the low standards of volunteer work. Even hospital radio is better than that surely?
    It’s like that Woody Allen joke at the start of Annie Hall about the 2 old women at a restaurant. The first one says “The food here is terrible”, and her friend chimes in with “yeah I know, and in such small portions!” Time for a reality check…

16. This story makes me very sad indeed, especially as someone with much in common with both sides.

I think it is so sad, and virtually indefensible, that the station did not have a formal agreement with all its staff which sets out exactly what basis it engages its volunteers, and the personal integrity (as it defines this) and expects of people presenting in its name. Then the painful meeting Ian describes on his blog need never have happened.

I also think it is sad that the church doesn’t have the guts to stand by what it believes in Mr Carrington’s face, and when they speak to him they claim to be worrying about fundraising or offending Muslims, both of which really aren’t good enough reasons to ask someone to leave. They know they are hurting him so use second-rate excuses rather than face up to the painful truth that his lifestyle choice is not compatible with their policy on whom they have as a mouthpiece. If that is their policy they should stand by it, not beat about the bush. A failure to respond to requests by the press for comment only makes the matter seem worse.

On the other hand, a Conservative party radio station would cause little upset for asking a presenter to leave who admits that actually he is a Leninist. No matter how good their relationship, or his show, if his belief is that really certain Leninist policies are compatible with Conservative, then they, as the owners of the station should ask him to stop broadcasting if by their definition his Leninist policies are _not_ compatible with theirs. Broadcasting in their name is not the way to change their party.

Yes, it’s their word against his. But if they are the ones running the station, then to a certain extent they are entitled to specify what is and is not compatible with that, surely. However, again, it would be a serious failure on their part for leaving it so late and not making it clear from the outset exactly what their policies are, and exactly what is not compatible with that.

Of course, that analogy falls down because in politics, of course, democracy allows the majority to set the tone, whereas Christians aim to understand and follow the Bible’s teaching – sometimes there are disagreements there, but even then, a majority vote is not the way to solve them, and allowing society in general to dictate what Christians should believe, just because of what is palatable, would also be the wrong approach. Mr Carrington is entitled to interpret the Bible as he does, but surely he must respect the church’s earnest efforts to understand the Bible themselves and their efforts to have integrity in putting into practice what they find there.

It also made me sad to see the station’s response written off as “pointless” – this displays a fundamental lack of understanding of why the church took the standpoint that it did (again, in part the church’s fault for failing to communicate). No wonder he comes to the conclusion that it must be personal and has to disbelieve their claims that it is not.

Would Jesus have done this? Of course he criticised people who showed a lack of love, but he also never accepted compromise. Love, for him, didn’t just mean letting people continue doing whatever they decided must be right. In particular he was angry with people who changed and added their own interpretation to God’s rules. So if the church is confident that they have understood God’s direction in one way, they should surely stick to that – anything less would be loveless and negligent of all those in its care.

I write this with a very heavy heart, moved profoundly by the issue and the damage being done by the way this has been handled on all sides. As I hinted at the beginning, in addition to believing the Bible’s teaching to be clear that homosexual practice is as unacceptable as envy, greed, hatred or adultery, I am also, myself, attracted to the same sex.

But my identity is *not* my sexuality; my identity is as a beloved child of God, and the choice to lead a lifestyle that won’t include gay sex is not always comfortable, but on balance definitely worth it, and this struggle is outweighed by grasping more and more God’s immense and indescribable love for me. Yet it still hurts me to read of Ian’s pain and hurt, and I so wish it had not come to this.

17. Apparently if we are really good we get to spend the rest of eternity with people like this!

18. I hope he receives a good compensation payout and/or the radio looses its licence and closed down. Both preferable.

19. “Apparently if we are really good we get to spend the rest of eternity with people like this!”

In which case, thank God for Hell!

20. George – The devil does have all the best tunes!

21. “Also, Jesus was certainly pretty clear about loving one’s enemies, and even though I know it hurts very much, I’m not sure whether going to the papers, still less the courts, is included in the list of loving ways to react when one is hurt by someone who becomes one’s enemy.”

What is so good about loving enemies? How ridiculous. I don’t – I want to destroy them. Glad we didn’t on 7/7 and on 9/11. Stupid teaching.

This goes to show that for crackpot Christans like Lilian Ladele, tolerance is a one-way street. See how they are always asking for room for their opinions. But when they have the upper hand, see how much room there is to be different, then!!

I’m terribly sorry for Mr carrignton, but he is helping spread superstitious nonsense. Rather than getting a lawyer, he should buy himself some books by Richard Dawkins instead.

22. I’m at a loss to understand why a gay man would want to volunteer for an evangelical Christian organisation in the first place.

23. jonnielondon 29 Sep 2009, 10:48pm

How unchristian!

24. Christians being christian? A novel idea!

25. Simon Murphy 29 Sep 2009, 11:43pm

Ian Carrington – you say that Ofcom have washed their hand of this?

How so? Did you complain to them and if so what was their response.

If they receive many complaints then they cannot ignore it.

“The Ofcom Advisory Team is open Monday-Friday between 09:00 and 17:00.

•Our phone number is 020 7981 3040 or 0300 123 3333
    •If you are deaf or speech-impaired, our textphone number is 020 7981 3043 or 0300 123 2024. Please note that these numbers only work with special equipment used by people who are deaf or hard of hearing
    •Our fax number is 020 7981 3334
    •Welsh speakers can call 020 7981 3042 or 0300 123 2023″

26. Brian, yes I am a Christian. But I hate Evangalism and I don’t think I am qualified to tell anyone here who feels bitter, angry or let down by Christianity that they’re wrong. Sadly, they’re not wrong. They have been let down. Christianity needs to change, not them. If that makes me a strange Christian, then so be it.

27. Eagle Ashcroft 30 Sep 2009, 12:22am

“Active sins” made me laugh as all true Christians believe everyone sins and no one is without sin, but then the bible was corrupted by the Catholics and actually the verses in the bible were changed to make it appear that homosexuality is forbidden when actually it is not even mentioned in the “real” bible that was written in 300 AD. As far as I am concerned the bible is fiction anyway and during those times homosexuality was the accepted norm, but became taboo in the Middle Ages in the Catholic church and the word homosexual was coined by a German in 1869 for the first time. But our gay brother is better off not working for a bunch of backward prunes anyway who can not and will not accept the doctrine of their own faith as it seems they are stating they do not actively sin them selves, but are perfect.

28. Hate to say it but on this occasion “getting your old job back” is a phyrric victory.
    If your idea of a life goal is defined by working for a boss who rejects everything you stand for and offers you zero wages, knock yourself out, but you’ll be following the Groucho Marx example of “not joining any club that would have me as a member”. It’s sheer masochism. An abusive relationship at best.
    If you were earning they might have to compensate you for loss of income, but seeing as you weren’t I can’t see any point in dwelling on it.
    Do yourself a favour Ian, move on. They didn’t deserve you. You’re better than that.

29. Steve Denver 30 Sep 2009, 1:12am

Talk about being at a party where you aren’t wanted. I recently was reminded of a passage where Jesus spoke of the shepherd who had a flock and one went missing. The shepherd left the 99 to find the one and rejoiced bringing it home. Maybe that should be rewritten so that the 99 then beat up the one and cast it out.

The overriding western mythology of Jesus is so disappointing.

30. Jean-Paul Bentham 30 Sep 2009, 1:54am

“The committee also told him that the church could face difficulties in raising funds if audiences were offended by his sexuality.”

Where did Jesus say that???

Is this a choirch or a business???

31. When you work in a den of lions, you must always be prepared to get a leg bitten off. Sad, but by no means unexpected.

32. Jean-Paul Bentham 30 Sep 2009, 4:19am

If that were true, which it isn’t, there would be nothing left to you but the rocks in your head.

33. “When you work in a den of lions, you must always be prepared to get a leg bitten off.” Shouldn’t that be another piece of anatomy blown off rather.

34. @Rose ‘Christianity needs to change, not them.’ Christianity does not need to change – Christians need to change and not give only lip service to it.
    Many Christian people have lost touch with Christianity and no longer understand or want to understand the true meaning of Christianity or put it into practice. This story is a case in point. The radio station is using Christianity as a cover up for its misguided self righteous justification and money. It is a business that is, ‘preaching’ to a ready made audience and a guaranteed income, just the same as the Roman Catholic church is a business.
    I feel that Ian Carrington was right in coming out and thus showing up the true colours of that ‘Christian’ radio station.

35. I’m sorry, but how naive is this guy. The fact that he has chosen to associate with and support the christian church is really his own stupid fault. I agree with point 1, these people are not your freinds, they never were and they never will be. They are sad, pathetic bigots and supporting them or their cause is tragically misguided.

36. It seems that his volunteering was to verify/prove his Christianity to himself as… once fired for betraying the trust of the ministry he volunteered to serve, he’s contemplating suing them to punish them for standing up for their beliefs as he did when he ‘came out’ years before taking the position. And Jesus would tell him: 11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.” Matthew 22:11-14

37. There might be protection under the Sex Discrimination Act. Howver, if the Government’s new (in)Equality Bill goes through, it will be legally permitted for businesses/organisations with a religious objective to discriminate against gay and trans people. The Government has specifically written that into the Bill!

The (in)Equality Bill also includes exemptions for schools, single sex services and members clubs, insurance companies, the armed forces and the Government itself. The Govt has deliberately allowed these organisations to discriminate against us – how is that Equal???

Whatever you think of Peter Tatchell, please support his current campaign to get these nasty exemptions removed from the Bill – they actually remove the rights that we already posses under existing British and European legislation. Harriet Harman likes to pretend she is a champion of equality, turning up to Pride, condemning the BNP whenever she can, but she and the Government want to allow these groups to discriminate against us by exempting them from all equality legislation protecting LGBT people.

This goes against everything that Labour used to stand for, against European human rights legislation, against modern notions of equality and democracy, and against common decency.

Please, please, take an interest in the so-called Equality Bill. It does exactly the opposite of what it should – it is a bigot’s charter and deliberately removes our rights to equal rights!

38. The Equality Bill (the comment above me) is the important bit here. Ask your MP to push for an amendment.

flapjack and Rehan and others – It’s a mistake to think all evangelical Christians are the same. There are a wide variety of beliefs under the evangelical banner. Some evangelicals are quite gay friendly and even gay themselves: they are often uncomfortable with the evangelical worldview on gays. Yes, this is a chance to put a period of my life behind me and to move forward with optimism and pride. I am not looking to return to Refresh FM – unless they change their opinion on homosexuality, which I doubt.

Simon Murphy – Organisational structure (i.e. who you hire and fire) is nothing to do with Ofcom. Their remit is quite narrow.

Greg – I’m not planning on suing anyone!

39. Nobody should need to prove or verify they are a Christian. A real Christian, I mean, not a narrow minded hypocrite. It should be reflected in their daily emulation of a loving God.

40. Any one who thinks that Christianity and being gay are in anyway compatible are just kidding themselves. All the Abrahanic faiths want us strung up, no matter how you dress it up or cherry pick from the scriptures.
    You dont need to be part of any religion (tribe)to believe in God. And if God were to exist then surely he would love all his children as any loving father would. If on the other hand he wants to burn you in hell fire and cause you pain for eternity then God is a monster.
    Personaly I think you should just enjoy life because your worm food one day. End of.

41. Brian Burton 30 Sep 2009, 12:17pm

J Carter, What’s it like being an uneducated Twit?
    Speak to this Gay Christian….!

42. “As I hinted at the beginning, in addition to believing the Bible’s teaching to be clear that homosexual practice is as unacceptable as envy, greed, hatred or adultery, I am also, myself, attracted to the same sex.”

Then Anon, you are pandering to those bigots who have warped the teachings of God. The teachings of Jesus are NOT the literal bible. And you will never, ever find happiness while you oppress yourself in this fashion. I’m sure if Jesus exists, he would be very disappointed in your attitude towards yourself and how you were born.

Have more guts man. Have more self respect.

43. “Personaly I think you should just enjoy life because your worm food one day.”

Spot on. More enjoying life, less worrying about what “god” thinks.

“J Carter, What’s it like being an uneducated Twit?”

What’s wrong with you? He makes a very valid point, and there is nothing “twit-like” about it. You call him uneducated? Why? Because its well proven that intelligent people are less likely to be religious, not the other way around.

If you can’t handle a response based on intelligent argument, Brian, then get lost, for its you who is the fool in this discourse.

44. George: “Then Anon, you are pandering to those bigots who have warped the teachings of God. The teachings of Jesus are NOT the literal bible.”

Haha, so, uh, where am I supposed to find the _unwarped_ teachings then? :) It’s the Bible material we have today that has the historical evidence to suggest it is faithful to the original records, not whatever fashionable commentators are putting words into his mouth this season.

“And you will never, ever find happiness while you oppress yourself in this fashion.”

Sorry, but could you be any more patronising?! How dare you tell me that I’m not happy, nor ever have been or will be. I’ll be the judge of that, thank you, and I’m doing just fine, thanks. :) Isn’t it a bit shallow and one-dimensional to decree that only by having the sex we want can we be fulfilled and satisfied human beings?

“I’m sure if Jesus exists, he would be very disappointed in your attitude towards yourself and how you were born.”

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on several points in this sentence, I fear. For starters, the evidence in my own life is clear that it has been overwhelmingly nurture, not nature, that leads me to where I am today. And if you’re still working out whether Jesus exists (or have decided he hasn’t) then it’s obvious we’re going to have quite different bases for understanding what his priorities are for my life and how to judge my self-worth (which, by the way, I see as immense and awesome, as one made to God’s design and likeness).

I hesitate to continue this thread and risk fanning this into a flame war, but your encouragement to have guts and self-respect (for which many thanks) rather prohibit me from letting your remarks stand unchallenged!

45. Yes Ian, God does love you but those people don’t. I’m trans and was an elected member of my church council but the snide, sly slights from some people (not all!) became too much and I gave up on belonging to a church. Now I believe without belonging but, tbh, with little faith in the institutional and community expressions of Christianity which have distorted and destroyed what is in essence a wonderful philosophy.

46. Just had a look around the Ofcom website, and in their Diversity section is states ‘In carrying out our statutory duties, including in respect of the industries we regulate, Ofcom will work to promote diversity in our policy development and encourage equality of opportunity.’ It would seem that they don’t quite work to that one, or in the very least believe, as do so many evangelical christians, that there are levels of diversity and that one trumps another.

Yet another example of hypocrisy, as so often happens with evangelicals.

So much for following the example of Jesus.

47. Brian Burton 30 Sep 2009, 4:21pm

George,
    Please give your Arse a chance, that verbal Diarrhoea you’r constanly spouting gets very tedius old thing.

48. The bible is a joke. What you read today has been retranslated from latin, through greek and hebrew. It has passed through several committees (starting with the council of Nice) and then updated to add whatever bigotry the powerful church wants to condemn at the time of translation.

At the current time there are translations of the bible that advocate slavery, state sanctioned murder, and a host of other nasty little traits that do not deserve the name “human”, but perfectly match my experience of “christian”.

If the bible is the “word” of god, then that word is “joke”.

49. Somebody buy this guy a copy of The God Delusion. That should sort everything out.

50. Yes, he is naive. It has been obvious for ages that God hates poofs. In fact, all of the gods hate poofs! So my advice is: stay out of their clutches. Live a good life and ‘to hell with religion’.

51. Once again, just to point out that I (George number 1) am different to the more recent George (number 2) posts on this thread. *sigh* This could getting confusing.

52. Christians they scream the words L.O.V.E. !!!!

They should be put in jail for such vileness. They’ll burn in HELL

53. Brian Burton 30 Sep 2009, 10:37pm

ryan…where’s Hell?

54. “When you work in a den of lions, you must always be prepared to get a leg bitten off. Sad, but by no means unexpected.”

RobN . . . so echos my sentiments on this one

55. “How dare you tell me that I’m not happy, nor ever have been or will be.”

I dare, because its obvious, that’s why. Blindingly so. Self persecution? Belief you are dammed? Nurture not nature? You think sex is the sum total of being gay, when there is so much in the love/relationship that is fulfilling and natural to gay people. Please, you’re a text book suicide waiting to happen mate.

“It’s the Bible material we have today that has the historical evidence to suggest it is faithful to the original records”

Foolish. Just because the bible has SOME historical accuracy, doesn’t mean its ALL literal. Adam & eve? Literal? I think not.

“overwhelmingly nurture, not nature, that leads me to where I am today”

Internalised homophobia. Your statement is utter rubbish. Every study, and every gay man (except you and a few religious nuts) state we were born gay. You’re in denial because of your religious dogma. Did you go to “gay school” to “lean” to be gay? Magic wand, was it? Do you understand how preposterous that notion is? Did we ALL go to “gay school” to become “sinners”? You think what you will, rather silly of your to believe that.

“one made to God’s design and likeness”

And there we have it, a religious nut. You sir, only uphold the belief that the more deeply religious you are the less you think for yourself or with any reason.

Oh, Brian. Grow up.

(Have altered my name to differentiate myself from the other George here)

56. The whole basis of this complaint is so flawed and I think Ian Carrington both needs to get his head sorted out, stop being so naive and get himself some competent legal advice .. because this Mark Nolan character very clearly isn’t very competent if he genuinely believes what he is quoted here as saying.

57. Brian Burton 1 Oct 2009, 10:27am

LISTEN UP YOU PEOPLE WITH THE SIGN VICTIM PINNED TO YOUR ARSE!

When You Walk Through A Storm Hold Your Head Up High And D’ont Be Afraid Of The Dark….You Know The Rest Boys…Sing It Boys!

58. Ian Carrington 1 Oct 2009, 3:40pm

I should point out the comment made by Fat Roland above is actually me, Ian Carrington (it’s my blogging pseudonym).

Jane – I have been lucky enough to find a church community (not connected to Refresh FM) where I belong and I am loved. I’m sorry for what you have been through. I also struggle with institutionalised religion.

Mark – I think you misunderstand my complaint slightly. My head is perfectly fine! I am not seeking legal action against Refresh FM (Mark Nolan was speaking to Pink News in the article, not to me, although he has been in touch with me since). I am concerned, however, about the wider implications for the legal status of volunteer workers. I wasn’t surprised by Refresh FM’s actions (no, I’m not naive, despite what some commenters think), but I was surprised to find their actions seem to be perfectly legal.

59. George B:
    Oh, never mind. I started to write a long response but you’ve written off my ability to think rationally so it seems doubtful you’ll accept that anything I say might be based on critical thinking without me having to write books worth to back up the conclusions I’ve come to after, frankly, many years of careful consideration. And whilst I probably could do that, it feels to me like you’ve made up your mind already and prefer to project unhappiness (not to mention misrepresentations of my theology and self-analysis – damned? absolutely not) onto me, which is so laughably off-mark that I’d rather not have them dragging me down, thanks. (Oh, and please note I’ve only been talking about my own situation, childhood loneliness, upbringing, family life, etc not generalising about anyone else.)

So rather than pull this comments thread even further from the sorry situation of Ian’s radio programme, I’ll stop here, but leave on record that I still reject your analysis as failing to hear what I’m saying or accept that I might be capable of intelligent thought and reason.

60. I think you misunderstand my complaint slightly

I am sure that it suits your purpose to believe that, but you would be sadly mistaken. And given that I never suggested that you were taking legal action, it is clearly you who is mistaken, Ian .. or perhaps just deliberately misrepresenting facts.

61. Brian Burton 1 Oct 2009, 10:28pm

George B. Anon,
    You pair of bright sparks, what is wrong with you two Gentlemen. You are like two petulant school boys having a play-ground argument! This thread is about a poor sod who got the elbow from his Christian Radio Station. Ah! the power of broadcasting, you can promote something or someone then cut them dead in an instant. There is quite a lot of Christian broadcasters, here and in Ireland, UCB I think it’s called. Do they seek the soul of man? I ask myself. If so, It is pretty evident they are being selective. Other wise, why reject the Gay element? The fired Christian was not about to obey any directives on contraversial subjects. No, disobedience in the eyes of this Guy probably ment it was a virtue to out himself as he did, and he paid the price. George B. and Anon, may I ask you both a question?….What are you both looking for in life, Utopia? Well I must admit, a map of the world that dose not include Utopia is not worth glancing at. I suspect, a lot of us hope we land there some day! Now you two, try and behave yourselves…OK?

62. “failing to hear what I’m saying or accept that I might be capable of intelligent thought and reason.”

I understand you perfectly. You’re a self persecuting fool with religion as your raison d’être. So don’t project your “nurture” over “nature” nonsense, its been proven to be false by science, and every gay man on the planet knows it to be false. That reason is the domain of homophobic fundamentalists and you just seem to have swallowed their garbage. You want piss on yourself for being gay, by all means do, but I have more pride in myself being gay. And as for you being “capable of intelligent thought and reason”, religious is the recourse of people who are incapable of precisely those two things.

63. Ian Carrington 4 Oct 2009, 12:26pm

Mark – my apologies; I read too much into your comment. At the risk of you coming down on me like a ton of internet bricks, I am interested in why you think the basis of the complaint is flawed.

What an entertaining comments thread. Brian Burton, you should have your own blog.

64. Brian Burton 4 Oct 2009, 6:24pm

Ian Carrington thanyou.
    Peace and harmony is the only way forward in any given situation. Men behaving badly is not a pretty site, it’s usually because they are unhappy with their love-life or not having a love-life at all. So, what of love? Love is fed by the imagination, by which we become wiser than we know, better than we feel, better than we are: by which we can see Life as a whole…only what is fine can feed Love…anything can feed hate!

65. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Oct 2009, 8:15am

George B (62 & before):

4 stars for you my man! That ain’t bad.

I’ve been following this thread since 29 Sep., and I am amazed that nobody has recognized the fact that ANON is another avatar of our very own MONKEYCHOPS, an ex-gay, homophobic, undecided-born-again-christian-fundamentalist, alcoholic, schizophrenic, cyberspace shapeshifter, prepared to spout garbage till the cows come home.

MONKEYCHOPS (Anon, whatever) has a delirious need to disrupt the threads at PinkNews, and to feed his addiction for the spotlight for as long as he can.

Mostly, its name is MONKEYCHOPS, but it has so many personalities, e.g. Sugar Plum Fairie, Cixby, Aviad, Anon, etc., that he can only be identified by his writing style which hasn’t changed one iota over the last 6 months, eh MONKEYCHOPS.

That’s when you first parachuted in here with your “three University degrees” and your teaching profession at an exclusive English private school where each student’s tuition added up to 25,000 pounds a year.

And what about your lies about being an International Diplomate for Her Majesty The Queen?

Oh yea, then there was that crap about your backpacking your way all around Europe and being disgusted by the odour of urine in Gilbralter. Remember that, MONKEYCHOPS?

There’s more where that came from, cos I’ve been keeping notes on all the religious nutters at PinkNews, especially the homophobic ones, and that means YOU, you twit.

Why don’t you take your medications with a very dry vodka martini, and go disrupt the stories at the BBC? Hey, imagine the size of the spotlights there, eh MONKEYCHOPS, MONKEYCHOPS, MONKEYCHOPS.

66. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Oct 2009, 8:17am

Ian Carrington:

Every word you have written rings true to me. Thank you for visiting PinkNews.

67. Jean-Paul Bentham 6 Oct 2009, 8:44am

Oh, and while we’re at exposing the truth on this thread, get a load of this verbal diarrhea that came out of MONKEYCHOPS AKA ANON on a thread entitled ” Gay Couple forced to leave home after homophobic abuse”, dated 30 Sep.

Police are the primary homophobic problem.

They refuse to act when other police officers are involved in targeting gay people with intimidation. As a gay man I know not to trust any police officer, they are just the uniform branch of the BNP.

Comment by Anon — October 1, 2009 @ 16:31

Since 2004
    I have been victim of violent homophobic assaulted twice
    There have been thefts from my property
    There have been acts of wanton vandalism upon my vehicles parked on my property
    There have been threats of physical violence made against me
    My pensioner mother abused by (known) police, as have her tenants
    There has been an attempted extortion made against me
    Others have been intimidated & abused by police misconduct
    My home has been raided ‘twice’ by police (No charges or Prosecution)
    I have been arrested on false homophobic allegation ‘twice’
    Cornwall police have destroyed both of my business through their deliberate misconduct & prejudicially based actions
    I have attempted suicide twice as a direct result of Cornwall police homophobic motivated actions & failure of duty of care & police refusal to act on complaints.
    Police have maliciously suppressed witness evidence & statements
    This is only some of the list of abuses which police have failed to act upon or are directly responsible for having carried out since 2004.
    I have been targeted by police relentlessly, with un-logged visits & police stops.
    I now suffer with medically diagnosed ‘Severe Anxiety & Depression’ this as a direct result of Cornwall police misconduct & targeted homophobic motivated abuse
    I now live on incapacity benefit & suffer from agoraphobia, no longer drive & only leave my rural isolated home in company of a witness due to direct genuine & justifiable fear of yet further police homophobic reprisals & victimisation to that I have already witnessed & experienced since 2004.

The Police are vile, lying, hompohobic, prejudicial, Neo-Nazi. The IPCC do nothing but collude with police in covering up police violations. I hate police scum (who I have publicly named) for the abuses they contributed too & have carried out!

Comment by Anon — October 1, 2009 @ 16:44
    _____________________________________________________

Note in particular a complete lack of sympathy for the gay couple who were forced out of their home.

What MONKEYCHOPS AKA ANON really wnats is to disrupt the thread and turn the spotlight on himself, and this time “it” even went so far as to play the ‘sympathy card':

I now suffer with medically diagnosed ‘Severe Anxiety & Depression’.

No, no Monkeychops, what you are suffering from is being an ex-gay, homophobic, undecided-born-again-christian-fundamentalist, alcoholic, schizophrenic, cyberspace shapeshifter, prepared to spout garbage till the cows come home.

68. Again Christians show their tolerance and love of Jesus. PEOPLE SPEAK UP AGAINST RELIGIOUS POISON. We should be as inferential to religious people as they are to us. Fight intolerance with intolerance.

If you believe that we were created from dust and divine breath in a magical garden with a talking snake by the hands of a magical creator, then your opinion should not be taken seriously on anything let alone human rights.

Why on earth was a gay man working at a Christian radio station in the first place. Had he read the Bible and all its stupid nonsense, he would have got out years ago. So much for selflessly volunteering your time to a cause that fired you.

69. It is also ashame that a mediator between the two communities has been sacked it just goes to show that religious people are intent on dragging us all back to the dark ages and we shouldn’t allow any theocracy to gain a foothold. Its not fair on people who don’t believe unjustified lies about the universe and who know about the process of science.

70. I am also born again and gay. There are a few errors in this blog about the Bible that need to be cleared up. First, salvation is a free gift, and does not depend on being “good” or “bad”. Secondly, the Bible is not the property of the Roman Catholic “Church” and was not translated or altered by them. By “the Bible”, I mean the 1611 King James Bible. It did not come through Latin, either: it was originally given in Hebrew and koine Greek and was translated directly into English from them. All the other English translations are from corrupt manuscripts, and are in many ways compatible with Roman Catholic (i.e. false) doctrine. Turning to being gay, the Bible obviously does say that all sex outside marriage is a sin. So str8 people who have sex outside marriage are sinners too. I am a sinner. But I am a saved sinner. We are all sinners. So what else is new. I don’t think I would want to work for any employer who didn’t want me there. Forget the law, you can’t make people like you if they don’t want to.

71. Ian Carrington 17 Dec 2009, 7:45pm

Tommy – some great comments there, thank you.

To some others – please do not see this as a Christianity versus homosexuality thing. There are many people who would comfortably class themselves as both!