EastEnders actor: ‘Gay storyline is sensitive and beautiful’

1. Brian Burton 29 Sep 2009, 8:09pm

I saw the Eastnders Gay couple talking together and agree. I t is sensitive and Beautiful.

2. Simon Murphy 29 Sep 2009, 8:54pm

I am gutted.

How could Syed be in love with Christian? Syed should be with James instead (James being the plot device gay that Christian dumped this evening). James is far nicer and cuter than bitchy old Christina.

3. I absolutely love the story line, it is pretty much the only reason why I watch Eastenders, I was actually half tempted not to go out tonight to watch it, I ended up watching it at this time to just to know what happens, ok that’s a little (or more alot) sad but I found it, as the title says, just so beautiful, but it’s like, annoying cause I so want them together, I just so love gay romances.

4. A good friend of mine, who is a playwright and scriptwriter once told me “All good drama is based on conflict”. I wouldn’t hold your breath on this one. It’s all going to end in tears.*

5. Jean-Paul Bentham 30 Sep 2009, 3:55am

Isn’t it great to have gay characters on T.V.? Think about it for a few minutes.

My grandparents, who lived comfortably in the country, distrusted the telephone until the day they died; they thought paving roads with aslphalt was a dreadful waste of the tax-payers’ money, and so forth, and my father – a smart man by any standards – refused to believe that men had landed on the moon in ’69.

He said it was just a Hollywood set.

Then I met Douglas Shanahan, M.A., M.Sc and PhD in Literature, a native New Brunswicker who had attended Oxford on a Lord Beaverbrook scholarship.

Shanahan, a good Irishman, taught me World Literature for 10 years at University Extension Courses within a 20 minute walk from my home.

It doesn’t really matter anymore that I was always an A+ student and that Doug occasionally called me a day or two in advance to tell me to prepare a 2-hour presentation on the Roman Empire, or some author like Flaubert or Virginia Woolf, or even Chaucer and Shakespeare. When the time came Doug would take a place in the last row, stetch out his legs and give me his full attention.

After a couple of years, Engineer that I am, I realized that my favourite subject was Literary Construction: traditional, modern and contemporary; and that I particularly enjoyed the transition from traditional to modern literary construction, which of course occurred in drama as well.

At the risk of become unbearably pedantic, this historical period corresponds with the appearance of modern art, e.g. Cézanne, Renoir, Picasso, etc.

My point being that while it is true that it is one of the parts of traditional drama, conflict could not exist without:

an “idea”, a “plot” or “story line”, a “viewpoint”, a “theme”, “exposition”, “description”, “action”, “characterization”, “craftsmanship”, “symbolism”, “style”, a “protagonist”, a “chief motivating force”, a “tangible objective”, an “environment composed of one or more physical settings; a generalized significance that grows out of the social, moral, and cultural human intercourse within each setting; and an atmosphere that is the emotional mood of each setting”, not to mention the thousand and one techniques employed by authors to hold the interest of the reader.

Finally, although it cannot be denied that all traditional dramas contain conflict, modern and contemporary award-winning works of art contain no conflict at all. In fact, a modern masterpiece of writing compares to a traditional one like a Picasso compares to a Rembrandt.

While English-speaking geniuses (genii) like Virginia Woolf and James Joyce do and will forever represent the watershed of this tremendous paradigm shift in creative writing, the pinacle of a drama which contains no structure whatsoever, and that includes a complete lack of conflict, is Samuel Beckett’s “Waiting for Godot”.

Finally, when the previous commenter presumes to tell us that the EastEnders will end in tears, he displays the same kind of detestable, party-pooping arrogance as the guy who stood at the entrance of the movie theatre which I was entering to see the movie “Titanic”, and who looked me straight in the face and said: “The ships sinks at the end”.

Who would have thought that the day would come when gay characters would be seen on T.V.?

6. Brian Burton 30 Sep 2009, 1:51pm

I do not want this ‘Gay Love’ to end at all, never mind tears!
    You Love the Beauty that you can see and touch and handle, the Beauty that you can destroy, leave intact…Love is, after all, etrnal.

7. RobN, of course it can go wrong, I would disagree about some of the ways you said and I would disagree in your certainty because that in one way makes it so great, it’s that sort of raised heart beat everytime there seems to be a chance that it will work and then you are like saddened when it appears they might not but it’s like it must happen because it’s true love but then it seems they have everything against them so you are stuck on this rollercoaster just hoping they get together.

8. Dont watch Eastenders; can’t stand all that shouting and misery! If real life was like Eastenders most of us would be drugged up to the eyeballs or shooting ourselves! However, if they must have a gay stroy line (again) make it a good one. Perhaps the homos will be the only ones to sustain a decent long term relationship amidst the strongly mixed up cast!

9. I’m surprised there was no complants from viewers, it shows just how mature towards homosexuality they are becoming in the UK over time
    Would this ever happen on a popular programme in the USA without bad feedback or boycotts?

10. Simon Murphy 30 Sep 2009, 11:54pm

“*(Shot / run over / AIDS / buried in the cellar / glass ashtray over the head / pushed into the canal / all of the above)”

Isn’t that how everyone leaves Eastender?

11. Jean-Paul Bentham 1 Oct 2009, 1:01am

Those who are being entertained should be allowed to enjoy themselves.

What is this? G.C.A.G. (Gay Censorship Against Gays)???

Everybody’s a critic! You try putting some footage together!!

12. Simon: “Isn’t that how everyone leaves Eastenders?” – Precisely my point.

Jean-Paul Bentham: “Everybody’s a critic! You try putting some footage together!!” – I do, dear heart. That’s one way I earn a living.

Brian:”Love is, after all, etrnal.” – Thats what I thought. Love is internal. A great big gooey glob of lurve insida-me.

I think I’m going to be sick…

13. Jean-Paul Bentham 1 Oct 2009, 5:38am

“It’s so easy to focus on this ‘gay Muslim’ storyline, but that’s not what it is.

It’s a love story about two people who fall in love in impossible circumstances… now that the story’s playing out, people are realising that there’s a lot more to it… and it’s actually quite sensitive and beautiful in a way.”

14. Brian Burton 1 Oct 2009, 7:36am

RobN,
    You have Love in you and this I know, and do’nt give me all that (spitting Blood) crap you dish out so freely. I can read you like a Book RobN. There is far more good in you than you like to pretend. I have not lived with my Life Partner for the last 39 years and learned nothing about his Dibetic condition. I will say no more as I suspect you know why? Life just ‘aint fair, but we all still have to get on with it! Cheer-up RobN..I Love you!

15. my father – a smart man by any standards – refused to believe that men had landed on the moon in ’69. He said it was just a Hollywood set.

Smart? By any standard? You think? Really?

Well that certainly explains where you are coming from with the rest the banal drivel you posted.

16. Jean-Paul Bentham 1 Oct 2009, 8:42pm

pinhead

17. Jean-Paul Bentham 1 Oct 2009, 8:59pm

Aviad:

The American moon-landing in ’69 is more controversial than ever right now because more and more people have been asking themselves why in the ‘Stars and Stripes being planted on the moon’ scene, is the flag swaying in the wind.

There is no wind on the moon, in fact, there is no atmosphere at all.

Can you say the word ‘atmosphere’?

As for my drivel, sorry you are too thick to learn something about literary construction. At least I didn’t start by lying about the source of my knowledge by saying some vague like:

“A good friend of mine, who is a playwright and scriptwriter once told me “All good drama is based on conflict”(4).

Not to mention that this particular well-known commenter, as opposed to the complete stranger you are, Avide-y’are, has never benn able to make or to hold onto such a thing as a “good friend” in his life.

But I ain’t bitter.

18. Jean-Paul Bentham 3 Oct 2009, 12:45am

A-a-a-via-a-a-a-d:

Cat got your tongue, dah-link?

19. Jean-Paul Bentham 3 Oct 2009, 5:03am

Oh Avia-a-a-a-ad:

My father is smarter than your father, ‘cos the best part of you ran down down your father’s leg, pinhead.

20. Ah so sweet awwww ‘such beautiful love’ – such beautiful deceit & disrespect to the fiancee! How strange that no one ever comments on how this may affect her if she ‘found out’ – lucky escape if you ask me. I wonder will this be part of the storyline? I very much doubt it.

21. what made him want to play a gay charactor in the soap in the first place