Gay humanist group to protest against Pope’s visit at Labour Conference

1. Good! If we don’t allow preachers of hate into the country why allow His Nastyness? Ok, he is a head of state but we don’t let Mugabee in do we! Ok he represents a religion, but its not the state religion of the UK is it!

2. Brian Burton 28 Sep 2009, 4:18pm

Mike,
    Points taken indeed. What good this will do amongst the tatters of Labour’s troubles is anyones guess. My sound advice would be not to agitate the ‘Armed Responce Teams’ in the area of the conrerance!

3. For some reason I cant see the text of this story?

4. Does anyone know how to contact the Home Secretary to ask that Ratzinger be denied entry into Britain.

If it unacceptable to let Mugabe into Britain then equally it is unacceptable to let Ratzinger in seeing as he is promoting genocide in Africa thanks to his policy regarding condoms.

5. Brian Burton 28 Sep 2009, 5:13pm

Vince, The Home Secs. address…House Of Commons, London. UK.

6. Why does the pope look yellow in that picture?
    Is he feelin sick cos he sure makes me sick!

7. You can contact the home Secretary via this link:

8. Also check out the news forum I have set up on this site to discuss the Pope Protest 2010

9. Har Davids 28 Sep 2009, 9:21pm

Nobody in his right mind would invite this relic of the past and, most important, an accomplice if not instigator in a cover-up of sexual abuse that has been going on for decades, with victims in the UK. But I guess Labour has lost it, too.

10. Gays’ religiophobia is a mirror of what we protest about so often. As a gay Catholic I find it upsetting that an organisation promoting humanism (not secularism!) in the LGBT community allows itself such mean views.

11. Jean-Paul Bentham 29 Sep 2009, 4:05am

Ihar:

I am a gay lapsed-Catholic.
    Are you?

Is this your first visit on this website?
    I’ve been visiting here regularly for about six months.

I feel perplexed about the papal visit to England.
    How do you feel about it?

12. I suppose they will wheel out the poor old Queen to do her usual charming PR on the visit; pity she can’t say “no your lot (the Nazi Party) bombed the palace and nearly killed Mummy and Daddy!”

13. Jean-Paul Bentham 29 Sep 2009, 8:26am

G’morning Mike,

You’re up early.

Good to see you have your teeth in this one.

14. No 10: Ihar: “Gays’ religiophobia is a mirror of what we protest about so often.”

I hope you’re not being serious. How can you compare LGBT’s opposition to freely chosen, voluntary, irrational homophobia espoused by a cult leader like Ratzinger to the behaviour of Ratzinger himself?

Ratzinger campaigns against the use of condoms in Aids ravaged Africa and recently campaigned against the UN when the General Assembly wanted a resolution condemning discrimination against homosexuality.

That evil maniac actively campaigns against gay people and actively promotes death by opposing condom use. LGBT people are merely asking that extremist maniacs like Ratzinger and his ilk are not allowed to promote their facist, superstitious beliefs and that religion should not be allowed to pervert our secular democracy.

15. And Ihar – you state that you are a ‘gay catholic’. Part of being a catholic (as opposed to simply believing in ‘god’) is accepting papal authority on religious and moral matters. If you do not accept Ratzinger’s view that acceptance of homosexuality is as damaging to the world as the destruction of the rainforest then how can you describe yourself as a catholic. The catholic hierarchy hates you after all.

16. Brian Burton 29 Sep 2009, 10:23am

Vince,
    You can still be called whatever in life and be even rejected by your own people. Christ was when he weht back to Nazareth and was rejected by people he had grown up with. So Ihar is entitled to be as he wants to be and not told he should not be whatever he wants. I am sure you would not appreciate Ihar or me telling you that you cannot be what you are. I’m a Gay Christian, that dose not stop me being Gay and Christian. in fact, I find bein Gay and Christian, fulfilling.

17. There is a whiff of the hypocrite in Ratzinger’s denunciations, perhaps to deflect suspicion. However I do not thing everyone is fooled by his rather queenly mien…hardly a red-bloodied hetero he. Stories abound about him when he was Archbishop of Munich. On a visit once to Cambridge it was observed now he could not be dragged away from a gorgeous young Don he met in Peterhouse. Then there is his personal chaplain, the extremely toothsome Mgr Georg Gänschwein…..

18. But Brian – if Ihar believes in God and Jesus then of course he is free to call himself a christian. Christianity is the belief in the 3-headed deity – god the father, son and holy spirit. A christian identity is merely the belief that god the father sent his son to earth, who got crucified for humanity’s sins but who rose from the dead and ascended to heaven.

But Ihar defines himself specifically as catholic – an organisation which regards him as “intrinsically disordered”. Oner of the requirements of being a catholic is to accept the pope’s authority. Therefore unless Ihar is celibate he cannot call himself a catholic. Christian – well yes. But his church hates him and he doesn’t seem to accept the rules of membership. If you are a member of certain tennis clubs you are expected to adhere to a certain dress code. Otherwise you are suspended. Likewise if you adhere to a specific belief system you are expected to abide by the rules.

It’s absurd of course but them’s the rules. There are plenty of versions of christianity out there – from the liberal inclusive Metropoitan Community Church to the bigotted Catholic Church to the utterly deranged Church of the Latter Day Saints. The fact that Ihar chooses to identify himself as part of a church that hates him says more about him than it does about his church.

19. Artful Roger™ 29 Sep 2009, 12:52pm

Nazi Nazi Nazi.

20. the f.cking popess can drop dead piece of bldy german scheisse

21. Bent Sauer(Denmark) 29 Sep 2009, 2:43pm

Hi – I’m from Denmark. What the f… is an old nazi doing there??? Regards Bent(Sorry gays, but thats my name loool)

22. I feel so sorry for catholic`s, they have this person who is supposed to be Gods chosen representative here on earth, but still he choses to dicriminate against people. Im sorry but Jesus never discriminated against people so why should this person do it. If he is truly “Gods chosen one” So i say dont let this man in this country.

23. Vo Dong Cung 29 Sep 2009, 7:12pm

Thru the pass, Vatican never refuse the right to control countries’s polytic around the world. Why people like to invite the enemy to their country as a honor guest?

24. Jean-Paul Bentham 29 Sep 2009, 10:57pm

Vince:

Are you busy later on? (Did I say that? I’m engaged to be married, for gawd’s sake!!)

But you know, what with all these powerful canons shooting off (!) in every which way (love it!), Ihar, who perhaps has yet to understand that the basic tenet of Humanism is to speak one’s mind, has not had a chance to answer my simple questions at post 11.

Finally, it’s simply because I am preoccupied with a Head of State’s safety that I am inclined to agree with those who would rather not have Ratzy-Nazi set foot on English soil, like Hitler-Nazi tried to do …65 years ago already.

Tempus fugit, innit.

25. Bishop Ioan 9 Oct 2009, 4:27am

I hope there is a move to deny this person entrance to Britain. No one needs to hear his nonsense up close and personal, so to speak. He is virulently homophobic and he spews hate speech. Case made, I think.

Trying to be a “gay Catholic” seems to me to be a form of masochism. They really don’t want LBTQ people in their church so why not find a Christian faith which will accept them as full Chrisitians with no need to change?

26. if the uk banned fred phelps and his daughter from traveling from here in the us to the uk why are the allowing the pope in?. The phelps and the pope share the same attitude but people say its ok that the pope has that attitude. He’s supposed to be kind not some mean old guy who says gay people need to be protected from themselves.

27. Sign the petition to ban the popes visit to the UK next year