4 Poofs and a Piano lend support to A Day in Hand campaign

1. Brian Burton 23 Sep 2009, 7:23pm

How many POOFS dose it take to change a light bulb….?

2. Only one. But it then takes another 100 to tell them why they did it wrong, and then ALL want to screw it in.

3. Is it just me, or does that keyboard look very dodgily Photoshopped in on the image in the article?

Either that, or he has been doing ‘something’ to really build up strength in his right wrist … *ahem*

4. The keyboard is not photoshopped in. He was holding it like that at the shoot. It was a light keyboard.

David
    Founder
    A Day In Hand

5. @ David

Why use four people who allow Jonathan Ross to humiliate them because of their sexuality ever week!

They are not exactly inspiring role models are they?

6. BrazilGayScene 24 Sep 2009, 4:08am

OMG, not this old chestnut again? You are only humiliated if you FEEL humiliated. They probably have a sense of humour and can laugh at themselves.. The person that Jonathan Ross takes the piss out of the most…is HIMSELF. It’s one of the most basic parts of humour. Wasn’t it a few years ago that Julian Clary’s (aka The Joan Collins Fanclub) stock in trade was to regularly ‘humiliate’ heterosexuals on his shows? Bloody funny that was… How different when the boot is on the other foot? Get a sense of humour and lighten-up.. or of course, just use that little channel selector on your TV and don’t watch.. But maybe then, you wouldn’t have anything to whinge about?

7. I would be very happy to hold hands with my partner in public – if I had a partner to hold hands with. (sad little sigh) It sure would raise a lot of eyebrows in homophobic Poland.

8. BrazilGayScene 24 Sep 2009, 9:46am

Ahhhh, thanks Rich, back on topic. This story is not about an organization deciding to ‘use’ anyone. It’s about 4 higher profile gay celebrities (thanks in part to the Jonathan Ross show), lending their support to this campaign, trying to do something positive instead of bitching and whinging. I saw them a few years ago appearing at Manchester Pride, (again, performing for FREE) and very entertaining they were too! So, I will simply say what ‘Abi1975′ should have…. Thanks 4 Poofs and a piano for supporting this campaign!

9. Never liked Mr Ross’s style personally but I understand the concept of promoting the “poofs” (even if I don’t agree with the word) to a wider audience. However, as role models go, you can’t have better than Mr Barrowman! BTW is Bruno on Strictly gay or just an OTT Italian?

10. It would be nice to see Jonathan Ross join in with the campaign. Maybe he would like to be pictured holding hands with them, as that would have a REAL impact, giving the campaign a lot more coverage.

11. I think the poofs are damaging the gay community. Enforcing the stereotypical view that we are all poofs to be ridiculed and bullied. When Ross was taken off of the air thousands of gay kids in schools suffered a PC backlash.

Lets face it boys your days are numbered!

12. Surely at some point the Sshh! folks pointed out that maybe, just maybe, holding hands on the major freakin’ tv show they are on every single week would be a more powerful show of support than a photo circulated among LGBT sites?

Or is it too ‘edgey’ to have four comedy gays seen holding hands after the watershed, assuming they’re able to draw some camera time away from the incessant sexual innuendo?

13. will someone hold my hand please?!

14. theotherone 24 Sep 2009, 3:02pm

BB:

1 don’t be silly! POOFS don’t screw in light bulbs, they screw in parks.

(a variation of a classic Goth joke.)

15. Brian Burton 24 Sep 2009, 6:20pm

theotherone,
    I would’nt know, I am the essence of purity!

Toilet wall: “My Mother made me a Homosexual”: Written underneath that: “If I buy the wool, will she make me one?”

16. Brian Burton 24 Sep 2009, 6:27pm

Whats all this talk of Poof, Poof Poof? Steam train…Poof, Poof Poof, Chuff-Chuff as well!

17. David Watkins 24 Sep 2009, 9:10pm

to respond:
    The band were very happy to do it and wanted to support us. They were also the first major link into the media and entertainment world so I jumped at the chance. Jonothan Ross holding hands is a possibility. Watch this space. I am aware of the contentious issue of the word ‘poof’ in this instance, but as a teacher I can tell you about 95% of homophobia language in schools is by kids using ‘gay’ as a derogatory word.
    The coverage the campaign has gotten by the boys in the band endorsement has been phenomenal and has helped the greater cause of equality of respect for LGBT people.
    If you’re concerned about homophobia go to our site and find a way to support the campaign too.
    peace

David
    Founder
    A Day In Hand

18. The word ‘poof’ may not be popular in schools these days but brings back painful memories for many older men.

I think in the context of the Jonathan Ross programme, because he has a history of picking on the more vulnerable in society, this band is the gay equivalent of a minstrel show.