West Ham striker Morley says gay rumours almost killed his game

1. Morley continued: “The rumours about me being gay killed me for a while. I’ve got nothing against gays – I now have friends who are gay – but it’s not nice to be called a homosexual when you aren’t one.

I understand – I have often been called straight and been equally resentful. Like NOT.

Shame based homophobia like Jason Donovan. Thank god for Becks.

2. Quite. It’s only not nice to be called gay if you accept the homophobic assumptions underlying the jibe. The so-called ‘beautiful game’ is riddled with this poison. Some straight footie-obsessed friends of mine said it’s ‘only a game.’ I wish somebody would tell that to players and fans alike. It too often looks more like a shrine for the worship of being a white anglo-saxon straight male of an especially toxic type.

3. Monkeychops 11 Sep 2009, 5:30pm

If you buy what Becks says, then you are a bit naive. Have you not noticed how much straight stars court the gay press to get extra fans and, therefore, cash? It’s so cheap, yet gay men are obviously falling for it in their droves. Do you honestly think these guys go back to their changing rooms and pep talk their team mates on how to be nice to the gays? That they really care about the cause? They are probably ripping the piss out of us. But that doesn’t bother me because I don’t expect anything less in such a shallow world as the media. Becks isn’t the brightest lad in the world let’s face it, he just does what his publicist says. And any PR guru will know the Pink Pound is a first port of call for a cash-hungry sporting personality (or his girl-group member wife). Equally, gay men must be pretty shallow if their only concern is that these guys get their kecks off and come up with the same formulaic answers about loving their gay friends week after week (if they have any). If we set ourselves such low standards, then we get what we deserve – being used by straight men for entertainment.

I don’t blame Jason Donovan at all. He isn’t gay, why should he have had people saying he was? Especially when, as disappointing as it was, him being thought of as gay at that time could have ruined his career. If I thought being labelled a Muslim would ruin my career and I wasn’t, I’d bloody well file a lawsuit against The Face. I always thought it was quite sad that the gay press branded Jason a homophobe just for denying he is gay, it was pretty childish but not surprising.

Swarmite, being called straight isn’t negative in any part of the world (except maybe on Canal Street), so you being thought of as straight is not comparable AT ALL with Jason/Trevor being labelled gay. It’s a crap example and exhaustingly over-used because these two sexualities are not equally perceived. You really should know better especially when the abuse Morley received, like Graeme Le Saux, was so overwhelmingly intense. Would you wish that on anyone? And do you think that homophobic abuse directed at a straight man can’t do him any damage? Especially when in a profession that remains hostile towards gay men? It can break careers, not to mention people. Graeme did a very good interview about his abuse in Attitude once, which showed just how bad it was. Backbiting so insensitively towards Morley for the comment you cited really shows more about your own bitterness than any he may harbour.

4. Don’t be too hard on him, in the environment he was in I can understand what he means.

And at least he has said “I’ve got nothing against gays – I now have friends who are gay”; whether true or not, statements like this from people in the macho football word help show the fans homosexuality is becoming more accepted and acceptable.

We have much more to worry about than throw-away remarks from people like him.

5. It is quite feasible for two guys who are not “gay identified” to have sex with each other. It is an outlet for their physical expression but that is all. It doesn’t mean they want to swill beer all afternoon outside Comptons on a sunny day. People are becoming so much more fluid about sexuality these days that gay is more synonymous with the scene lifestyle than sex per se.

6. “How many times does Robbie Williams have to come out and tell the world he isn’t gay? The more you say it, the more people start to believe it’s true…”

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

7. “How many times does Robbie Williams have to come out and tell the world he isn’t gay?

Presumably, the same number of times as Michael Barrymore.

8. Monkeychops 12 Sep 2009, 10:34am

I personally think the badgering by gay people of the likes of Robbie Williams (whose sexuality is his own business) is homophobic bullying. It is no different than if it were straight people doing it to him. And it has no place in our society. Why are you lot so obsessed with knowing the sexuality of celebrities? Have you got nothing better to do than speculate on the private lives of others?

9. “Have you got nothing better to do than speculate on the private lives of others?”

Tell that to the Bishop of Rochester, dear.

10. Monkeychops 12 Sep 2009, 1:42pm

Dave – clearly you haven’t then. And don’t call me “dear”, it’s terribly patronising and indicative of your character.

11. Wossup MonkeyChops, mon petit pois? Do you not like being given a term of endearment, ducky? ;o)

12. Monkeychops 12 Sep 2009, 4:31pm

RobN – Not by you, no ;) You of all people should know better!

13. I don’t think that straight people should have to put up with rumours of their gayness any more than gay men enjoy it when the guys at the watercooler at work strike up a conversation about what kind of women they’re into.
    I see nothing wrong with stating your sexuality under such circumstances, that’s simply being assertive.
    The part that bugs me is when these rumours are intended as a damaging whispering campain designed to appeal to a real or imagined audience of homophobes.
    In a perfect world it wouldn’t be an issue, but I think it’s only fair that people should have the right whether or not to out themselves without others spreading unfounded rumours.
    The only exception to the rule are the likes of Ted Haggard, who spread the gospel of homophobia while taking crystal meth with rent boys in private.
    The homophobic hypocrites are fair game.

14. dear monkey chops, Becks has clearly such confidence in his sexuality that he doesn’t care whether people think he is gay or not. This is authenticity. I am not concerned if he courts the gay pound or not. Your continuous sense of attack on all Pink News threads you appear on is getting tiresome. I suggest you get off the net and get out more, but don’t mince, they might think you are gay.

15. Monkeychops 12 Sep 2009, 11:02pm

“dear monkey chops, Becks has clearly such confidence in his sexuality that he doesn’t care whether people think he is gay or not. This is authenticity. I am not concerned if he courts the gay pound or not. Your continuous sense of attack on all Pink News threads you appear on is getting tiresome. I suggest you get off the net and get out more, but don’t mince, they might think you are gay.”

By authenticity, you mean you know him personally then, do you? I pity you that you don’t care about yourself enough to be bothered whether the likes of Becks work the gay media to get a bit of cash for themselves.

Oh, and if you can’t stand hearing people who don’t agree with you, then maybe you ought to get off the site. I’ll leave the mincing to you, eh, I’m sure you’re far better qualified.

16. “I’ll leave the mincing to you, eh, I’m sure you’re far better qualified.”

Seem like being a a complete bitch is something you can do just fine, though.

17. Pumpkin Pie 12 Sep 2009, 11:44pm

Agreed. Chunkymops is by far the bitchiest queen on this site. Random accusations against the entire gay population at the slightest provocation. Anyone else get some serious “Mr. Garrison” vibes from this guy?

18. I wouldn’t call Monkey’s accusations random. In fact I thought he hit marks with pinpoint accuracy. At least a few of us are willing to recognise our own failings and inadequacies. Like many have said before, so many gay men are willing to take swipes at everyone but themselves. I think the words “throwing stones” and “glass houses” spring to mind.

19. There’s something odd aboutr this story – he was stabbed in march 2000, 2 years after Morley had retired and 5 years after leaving west ham. He then talks about hiding on the field….. he was in norway by then.

I guess this actually goes back to 1990? Any gay neo-cons on here might encourage Iain Dale to clear this up….

20. Pumpkin Pie 13 Sep 2009, 6:07pm

No, you’re not. You’re willing to accuse others of various nasty things, based entirely on the fact that they happened to be born a certain way, while excluding only yourselves as the only people these accusations don’t apply to. Everyone else is guilty, though. Even if they’re more innocent than you.

21. The point is this, Pumpkin: are we to let people get away with incoherent babble and unsubstantiated nonsense? No.

When someone makes a wild, extraordinary, or crackpot claim, they will be questioned, and if they cannot back up what they say they must expect derision, if they hold on to their opinions. Some people cannot take the heat, and resort to playground insults – fine, it shows they have lost the argument.

(Monkeychops happens to make some cogent points in this particular thread. Though I think the kep point has been missed by everyone. If you actually read Graeme le Saux’s ‘left field’ autobiography, you find that his relationship with his wife hit rock bottom as the tabloid press and others intruded into their lives, a witch hunt to find any ‘dirt’ on his sexuality. It’s not about sexuality, it’s the implication of infidelity and deceit bubbling under the surface. Anyone in a relationship might understand.)

22. Brian Burton 17 Sep 2009, 7:40am

Adrian T,
    Right on the button as usual. Soccar is regarded just the same as Show-Biz in the eyes of the tabloids. Who is sleeping with who is very jucy material for them. Sex is always top of the list for investigative journalisum. I remember when Christine Keeler (Prostitute) slept with the incumbant Minister of Defence and at the same time sleeping with a Soviet Embassy person. This countries security was put second to the sex that the ‘Screws Of The World’ wanted every reader to wallow in.