British consul killed in ‘homophobic’ attack in Jamaica – note on his bed called him a ‘batty man’

1. Contact 10 Downing Street – ask them what they’re going to do about this

2. T
    his shocking death highlights yet again the relentless homophobic crime and murder taking place on this dammed island! Stay away! is what i say. Yet we fly and ship out tourists who are either unaware or blinkerd in their holiday destinations darker side! About time the likes of Virgin and BA and its customers were told in bold terms,the sort of island their getting involved with…..and hopefully change their destination! Why should the Jamaicain tourist industry/government benefit from tourism on the one hand and yet blatently fail to address basic human rights issues on the other? NO DEAL!

3. Several months ago I was rung up and named-called “Hey, how are you Batty Boy!” by a Jamaican woman who is related to a relative of mine. She’s now settled in this country. She had gathered that I am gay. And so she picked up the phone, squealed this taunt at me, and then hung up! Extraordinary. It’s obviously a hatred that runs deep in a lot of them. The woman doesn’t even know me. At that time she had never even clapped eyes on me!

4. why is ‘homophobic’ in inverted commas?
    it was a homophobic motivated murder.

Note GB’s recent apology re Turing where he comments on legal status, my comment in that news story is never more poignant… there may be removal of illegality but all other persecution remains.
    It’s time he realised.. tolerance of us is NOT enough. Full unadulterated acceptance, protection, safety, and total equality are needed right now.

5. Is Jamaica in the Commonwealth. I presume they will be expelled immediately and all British funding stopped.

I also expect the Department of Foreign Affairs to advise people against travelling to that homophobic dump because of their stupidity and bigotry.

6. Mihangel apYrs 11 Sep 2009, 10:53am

The aid should stop as should the promotion of holidays there until at least the law and political outlook changes. While it takes time to change the prejudices of the general population, a little recognition for the need would at least show a recognition that they should. Until then, treat them as the pariahs they are!

7. Time the government did something to stop importation of homophobia from such places.

8. As I said yesterday on the story about homophobic lyrics and jamaican hate rap songs; its about time the EU imposed sanctions on Jamaica until it sorts this evil homophobia out!

9. What I find curious is that the report on the BBC news site, when I eventually found it, said he was killed outside his home, and there was no mention of the note, or a suggestion he might be gay. Media bias is amazing! The fact that it took 5 minutes searching for the story on the BBC is a bias in itself. Positioning of stories in order of importance is a huge part of the published media. And the homophobic motive is whitewashed!

10. Disgusting. I really hope that the UK government will actually do something to show Jamaica that this kind of thinking isn’t acceptable. Obviously, not every person in Jamaica is homophobic, but I’ve seen some truly horrible videos online showing homophobic attacks.

I hope the UK makes an official complaint and asks Jamaica to show what it’s doing to combat such evil, pointless hatred. I also hope that this murder opens people’s eyes in the UK. I know a number of families who keep telling me what a lovely holiday destination it is, and seem completely unaware of any problems there.

11. Time for the British government to take some action against this member of the Commonwealth. Stop giving aid and stop advertising that portrays it as a holiday paradise.

12. I think that is a good idea. Maybe we need another petition on Number 10 petition site?

13. Expel the Jamaican ambassador its a clear message Jamaican homophobia will not be tolerated. The fact being gay is a crime should be enough for this action.

14. No 10: Iris: “Obviously, not every person in Jamaica is homophobic”

15. Truly I am shocked at this and my condolences to his family and to the British people my sorrow at this tragic event, however the note thing is puzzling as reports elsewere suggest it was signed “Gay Man”

According to the TimesOnline: “a handwritten note on his body described him as a “batty man”, local slang for a homosexual. The note also said: “This is what will happen to ALL gays.” It was signed: “Gay-Man”.

I am almost sure that if the suspect(s) is found the defense is gonna be “Gay Panic” they always use that as an excuse or justification for self defense so as to make the deceased look like a pevert or imposing their sexual mores on the innocent.
    We saw it in the Brian Williamson, Peter King and other trials. Interestingly there was no sign of a breakin so the suspect(s) may have been known to Mr. Terry. I know that we suffer here in Jamaica from internalised homophobia more so than outward hate for gays as many who proport to hate homos are on the DL themselves. This could be such a case I feel as many of these killings are as a result of guilt over a previous sexual encounter or a favour not granted satisfactorily. (not saying this is the case here)

I hope there is a speedy end to this matter and on behalf of the sick mofos here I apolgise for this awful outcome.

Luv and respect

16. Vince: “There was a news report a few years ago that stated that in Jamaica 70% of people believe gay people deserve no human rights.

So you are right – not EVERYONE in Jamaica is an ignorant savage – just 3 out of 4 people. ”

Shocking figures. The level of homophobia in Jamaica demands action from the UK government in my opinion because of the very common-ness of it.

17. “we each pay about £10 in EU aid to this benighted country that lives off tourists.”

I want mine back!

18. We can take action to show our disgust:
    Boycott Jamaica and ask your friends and family to do the same. The contact for the Jamaican Tourist Board in the UK is Elizabeth Fox and can be contacted at mail@visitjamaica.uk.com
    If a demonstration is organised outside the Jamaican Embassy, join it.
    Write to the High Commissioner, The Honourable Burchell Whiteman at hc@jhcuk.com or 1-2 Prince Consort Road,
    London SW7 2BZ.

19. Michael Anthony 11 Sep 2009, 2:52pm

Jamaica needs to “feel the pain” by not doing more to combat these hateful crimes. May I suggest that people start contacting their newspapers and travel magazines, demanding that they stop writing stories about this “paradise in the Caribbean,” or at the very least, they begin to report on the countries in-action. Most people are not even aware that Jamaica is anything but a sun drenched holiday destination. The Government of Jamaica will only take action, when it begins to hurt them in the wallet.

20. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Sep 2009, 2:55pm

Shocking. Sickening.

I agree with Jo (4):

‘…there may be removal of illegality but all other persecution remains.

It’s time we realised.. tolerance of us is NOT enough. Full unadulterated acceptance, protection, safety, and total equality are needed right now.’

The same thing applies here in Canada; same-sex marriages are now legal, but homophobia is not automatically uprooted. That’s why I’ve been talking about the need for government-funded clinics to cure homophobia. A child is not born with homophobia…and you know the rest.

We haven’t heard the last of this momentous event. It is a turning point which will be most unfavourable to Jamaica.

My sympathy goes out to Mr. Terry’s family. Such a hideous crime will not go unpunished, but nothing will bring Mr. Terry back to his loved ones. My heart truly does go out to you.

21. We should kick this evil country out of the commonwealth. They only export murder and drugs anyway.

22. Robert, ex-pat Brit 11 Sep 2009, 3:37pm

I enjoin others, boot Jamaica from the British Commonwealth and cut off aid immediately. Time to teach these bigots a lesson and ban any of them entering the U.K., period. If 3 in 4 believe gays should have no rights,then it proves that 70% of them approve of violence towards and the killing of gay people. Unacceptable!

23. As a British-born gay man of Jamaican parents who spent many years in the Caribbean I say: “This is an ignorant hell-hole!” Stay away from Jamaica – visit an intelligent Caribbean Island like Barbados. In Bim everyone is treated with respect.

24. Joe in California 11 Sep 2009, 4:45pm

Boycott all products from there to start. Tell your travel bureau/agencies to take down their posters & advertising of Jamaica. Not just from the UK, but from Canada also, and all other Commonwealth countries… Tell your governments to STOP subsidising the homophobia…

25. Monkeychops 11 Sep 2009, 5:44pm

Simple answer – ban Jamaica from commonwealth privileges and stop allowing immigration from all countries associated with such attitudes towards homosexuals. That way Jamaica is forced to reform and we don’t have to import hatred that is effectively replacing what we have managed to weed out from our native population.

As sad as the murder is, he was a highly-educated man who was only too aware of the risks he was taking. He didn’t deserve such a macabre ending, but no-one can be surprised that it happened to him. If I ever went to Jamaica, the last thing I would do is even suggest that I might be gay, let alone act upon it. He should have been more careful. In fact, gay people working for the FCO have the right not to be posted to a country where the level of homophobia poses a direct threat to them,so he wouldn’t have been obliged to go there – even if he was married to a woman at the time.

26. Vo Dong Cung 11 Sep 2009, 5:58pm

The murder caused by preaching “There are only Adam and Eva”.

27. The levels of homophobia in Jamaica are frightening.

I’m absolutely sickened that this barbaric country – where 70% of the population thinking gay people do not deserve any human rights (according to the poll mentioned earlier) and where gays are routinely attacked and killed – is receiving EU Aid funded by MY taxes and taxes paid by other LGBT Europeans!!!!

A country that actually IMPRISONS people for being gay. And I’m betting ten years as an “exposed” homosexual in a Jamaican prison is hell on earth.

What we should be campaigning for:

*All EU aid money to Jamaica stopped until radical measures to tackle homophobia made
    *Give grants to pro-gay rights groups already operating in Jamaica, to help empower gay Jamaicians
    *SUMMON THE JAMAICAN AMBASSADOR IN LONDON AND ASK HIM WHAT WILL BE DONE ABOUT THIS CRIME *AND* THEIR INGRAINED HOMOPHOBIA
    *International pressure for them to legalise consensual gay sex

28. Monkeychops 11 Sep 2009, 7:09pm

“I got the best solution of all: lets just drop bombs on the bloody country and wipe out all of the black bastards. I am going to send a letter to the Jamaican embassy in DC and tell them to get to hell out of the US or expect attacks as they are terrorist.Next time I see a Jamaican I am going to confront the black bastard and tell him to get his black ass out of my country. This really pisses me off that these assh-les killed that man merely because he was gay. Maybe if we kill off the Jamaicans because they are black the dirty bastards will get the message”

Erm, perhaps your own African-American citizens will have something to say about that. Not to mention Africa and other nations with predominantly black populations. As much asyour comment was tongue in cheek, do you honestly think espousing hate in return is going to win us any admirers?

29. Jean-Paul Bentham 11 Sep 2009, 7:45pm

I’m with Bentley (27) on this one:

‘What we should be campaigning for:

*International pressure for them to legalise consensual gay sex.’

And I do feel the same as Eagle; this is an outrageous crime against the British Governemnt as well as against the gay population of the world. There is no way to overestimate the gravity of this crime.

30. Is there any sign of anyone being summoned or any action being taken? This murder is going to be swept under the carpet and forgotten.

31. Yes. Let’s fight homophobia with racism. What a great idea. Seriously Eagle Ashcroft why should black and mixed-race bisexual, trans, lesbian and gay people have to endure your vile comments?

What evidence is there that John Terry was bisexual other than this note found at the murder scene? Clearly he was not homosexual – not that makes any difference to a queer-basher.

32. “Is there any sign of anyone being summoned or any action being taken? This murder is going to be swept under the carpet and forgotten.”

Mmm. So is that how it works in Jamaica then? If you want to get away with murder just leave a note with the body indicating your victim was queer?

33. Let’s take a deep breath here before we go overboard on the lazy racist rhetoric. Jamaica is an exceptionally violent society – it has the highest per-capita murder rate in the Western hemisphere. Yes, gay people are singled out for particular discrimination and violence, but it is hardly as though they are the only ones. It is very easy for us to get outraged from the comfort of our leafy middle-class suburbs, but Jamaica is virtually a failed state. Murder is endemic, and the law-enforcement authorities institutionally corrupt. Homophobia is a problem in Jamaica, but Jamaicans might well feel it is not the only, or even the most important, problem they have to face.

That said, I am curious to see whether this case (admitting that it is unwise to speculate on its outcome) will provoke the UK government and the Commonwealth Secretariat to take a stronger stance on human rights on the island. I hope so.

34. john sharp 12 Sep 2009, 4:09am

stop all aid
    till they make homosexuality legal
    and start teaching in schools that gays lesbians and bi trans are normal poeple.

35. Jean-Paul Bentham 12 Sep 2009, 4:17am

Howie (15):

Thank you for your tremendous insight into Jamaican society, especially the Down-Low spin. Also, I appreciate the websites you’ve provided.

As I said somewhere above, we haven’t heard the last of this; it is even possible that Mr. Terry wasn’t gay at all, isn’t it?

The fact remains that a British consul has been brutally murdered, and my heart goes out to his family.

36. ok Jean-Paul Bentham (35) I am not so sure that I will call this one a homophobic crime though as as it is turning out the killer was known to him, the police have put out what u guys call an ABP – all points bulletin with a description of the suspect in the last set of clothing he was seen wearing when he left the home. Apparently he asked some persons nearby for directions and looked agitated according to the witness.

Well let’s see how this pans out gentle people, in the meantime check out my blogs

of note see my audio post on Spectre of Gay Murders in Jamaica where I examine the controversial issue in layman’s terms of the classification of gay killings whether we can truly call them homophobic when many times the killers are known to their victims.

Peace

37. Ok I’ll be blunt. This is about money and power. Well heeled older gay guys go to poor countries to weild their power over poor probally straight guys. Sorry but this guy asked for it maybe he thought he was untouchable as previously only black guys were murdered I never heard him compalin in public about homophobia or speak out for jflag. Or condem the murder of brian or Steven. He comes across as a selfish colonist with no interest in Jamaica just black cocks and money. Obviously those days are over.

38. Jean-Paul Bentham 12 Sep 2009, 7:53am

Howie (36):

OK, I checked them out and saw the news clip. At one point I came across a profile without a name, an OX, is that you?

To get back to the story, is it likely that the people who spoke to the murderer, when he was asking for directions in an agitated manner, will identify him?

The killer was definitely a man then? And you say this murder may not have been homophobic. A robbery, maybe. I wonder why the body was found outside the house with a trail of blood all over the place.

I haven’t been able to find your blog ‘Specter of Gay Murders in Jamaica’, but I will try again soon. I may be interested in copying and pasting some of your work. Is that OK?

Please keep us informed.

39. Wow, according to “Howie” it’s alright to murder him because he is white, gay and living in Jamaica – his very presence is exploitative and he deserves it because of his skin colour.

How DARE he be gay and live in Jamaica. He’s obviously “exploiting”. That’s alright then.

40. Earlier this month Jamaica was granted around 3.6 billion Jamaican dollars under the European Commission cooperation programme. In total that’s around 740 million euros to Jamaica in financial assistance, but there is also bi-lateral assistance, which i’m not sure about.

This EU assistance needs to stop until that homophobic dump gets its act together.

41. Mihangel apYrs 12 Sep 2009, 11:39am

thank you Tilis for defaming a dead man. Your whining post-colonial whining sickens me. No doubt it is all the whiteman’s fault that Jamaica is a corrupt, sexist, homophobic, homicidal hell-hole, where the good exploited black man is forced to kill because disgusting whiteys go there and spend money.

Your victimhood is worn as a badge of pride, but are you in fact commenting safely from Europe or the US where we work our arses off to try and eradicate prejudice and institutionalise equality.

Even if this man was an exploiter, does that allow homicide? And if he was buying “black cock” what does that make the sellers?

Sustaining the idea of the exploited black man doesn’t do justice to those people of colour who have risen to the very top, nurtured by the societies you affect to despise: making this a white-black issue also diminishes the persecution of black lesbians and gays in Jamaica, and insults those in the EU who try to effect change

42. Well said, Mihangel.

Tilis – we do not know the circumstances of the murder of the victim’s lifestyle; he may not even have been gay. Please refrain from your offensive speculations, at least until we know the facts.

43. Meant to say “the murder OR the victim’s lifestyle”

44. Yeah ok. You’re doing your best to eradicate homophobia in your own way without consultation. Remember in 2004 tatchel said that if a few black people die with his stop murder music campaign that a price with paying. He was deciding whether I live or die. I had input into his actions and I suffed the consequences. Tatchell got one death threat, quit the campaign and joined green party. That is the”I know better ” colonial attitude. So forgive me if I think that dead guy did not use his power to challenge the homophobia in Jamaica and died a coward.

45. Jean-Paul Bentham 12 Sep 2009, 6:09pm

Mihangel ap Yrs (41):

I like your ‘no nonsense’ attitude.

Also, I appeal to you again to join our group. Go to my.pinknews.co.uk , sign up with a skimpy profile (you can use a nickname if you want to), and send me a message saying ‘hello’. I’ll be in touch with you. We need you common sense. I will be asking you to confirm your ID. Do you remember what you taught me about your name and when? C’mon…please. It’s like an adventure, that’s all.

As for your comment, well yea, what kind of person defames a dead man instead of expressing sympathy to his family. We are surrounded by monsters who don’t care a toothpick about common civility. And yet we do protect their freedom of speech. Go figure.

46. From The Guardian website:

“Reports that murder of John Terry was a gay hate crime are ‘miselading’, police say. Police investigating the murder of a British honorary consul in Jamaica have released an image of a man they want to question. The Jamaica constabulary force also denied reports that John Terry was the victim of a homophobic attack.”

So the note left by the killer ADMITTING it was a homophobic attack is just incidental, is it? Whether the man was gay or not is completely irrelevant. The murder was obviously motivated by homophobia. To claim otherwise just insults our intelligence. Well done, Jamaica constabulary. Excellent powers of deduction. CSI’s got NOTHING on you. What’s actually ‘misleading’ is that you actually value the life of a “gay” citizen enough to warrant an unbiased investigation. After all, homosexuality is illegal in Jamaica. I wouldn’t be at all suprised if the police were affiliated with a vigilante killer – like those “gay death squads” allegedly sanctioned by the Iraqui government.

47. Brian Burton 12 Sep 2009, 9:22pm

Monkeyfacechops,
    You are pro-terrorist agitator, you should be in jail!

48. Now seems likely to have been a guilt killing committed another nutter who can’t reconcile his homosexuality with Jamaica’s evil homophobic ideology. Further news rom the Independant website:

Jamaica: A grim place to be gay

The manner of Mr Terry’s death provides harrowing evidence that prejudice continues to thrive. Copyright AP
    When neighbours of John Terry, the British honorary consul in Jamaica’s Montego Bay, were approached by a young man outside his home on Tuesday evening asking for a taxi, they assumed he was just the latest recipient of assistance from the voluntary diplomat who in his three decades on the island had become a pillar of his community.

As well as coming to the aid of hundreds of holidaying Britons, the genteel 65-year-old had served as a magistrate in St James, his well-heeled rural neighbourhood on the outskirts of the country’s tourism capital, and worked for a succession of charities, including a support group for the mentally ill.

But a team of detectives were yesterday investigating whether Mr Terry’s visitor that night, far from being a beneficiary of the honorary consul’s help, was in fact his murderer and a killer driven by the homophobia that plagues the country which the father-of-two had grown to love so much that he made his life there.

From the “murder music” lyrics of reggae stars exhorting the murder of gay men to a member of Jamaica’s governing political party who has described homosexuals as “abusive and violent” and called for gay sex to be made punishable by life imprisonment – the Caribbean island has long been beset by what campaigners describe as “institutional homophobia”.

And the manner of Mr Terry’s death provides harrowing evidence that such prejudice continues to thrive. At lunchtime on Wednesday, the gardener who tended the shrubs outside the New Zealand-born Mr Terry’s modest bungalow found his partially clothed body lying on his bloodstained bedroom floor. He had been badly beaten about the head and body, possibly with the base of his bedside lamp, and then strangled with a cord ligature and a piece of clothing left around his neck.

On the bed was a hand-written note which described Mr Terry as a “batty man”, derogatory slang for a homosexual. Signed “Gay-Man”, it added: “This is what will happen to ALL gays.”

Police sources said the note provided other details which could lead to the identification of Mr Terry’s killer, adding that the theft of personal items such as his wallet and mobile phone looked like an inept attempt to persuade investigators that robbery was the motive for the attack. More likely, says Deputy Superintendent Michael Garrick, is that “the person who murdered Mr Terry was close to him”.

The killing was brutal even by the standards of an island where gang warfare over drugs has earned it the title of one of the world’s most murderous nations. If it is proven to have been motivated by hatred of homosexuals, it will be one of the most high-profile and horrific examples yet of what campaigners say is a growing trend for extreme violence against gay people in Jamaica.

Official statistics are hard to come by, but evidence gathered by Amnesty International shows that at least 35 gay men have been murdered in the Caribbean country since 1997. They include Brian Williamson, the co-founder of the country’s main gay rights groups, the Jamaica Forum for Lesbians, All-Sexuals and Gays (J-FLAG), who was hacked to death with a machete in 2004. A crowd was seen celebrating around Mr Williamson’s mutilated body.

In the last 18 months, at least 33 incidents of mob violence against homosexuals have been recorded, including an attack in Montego Bay where three supposedly gay men attending a carnival were chased in the street, and one of them was beaten about the head with a manhole cover. Elsewhere, mobs have gathered outside a gay man’s funeral and chased another man to his death off a pier.

Homosexual activity remains a criminal offence in Jamaica, punishable by up to 10 years’ imprisonment. Since 2007 Britain, the former colonial power which introduced the island’s sodomy laws, has granted asylum to at least five Jamaicans on the grounds that their lives had been threatened because of their sexual orientation.

Michael, a gay man in the Jamaican capital, Kingston, said the prevalence and virulence of anti-gay sentiment in the country had made his coming out as a homosexual an impossibility.

The 24-year-old, who is a member of J-FLAG but has kept his sexuality hidden from even his closest friends and family, told The Independent: “I know people who are called ‘batty boy’ or other taunts every time they leave home. They live in fear of being attacked. They don’t know if today is the day they are going to be set upon and hacked up.

“I could not take that step. My cousins are leading members of a local church where the pastor regularly condemns gays as the devil, as subversives. If anything, we are going backwards as a nation on this issue. You cannot even feel safe reporting things to the police. I have heard too many stories of police standing aside while a gay man gets a beating, or worse. I’ve heard of gang members shooting a gay man in the street as some sort of rite of passage.”

The literal mood music to such violence, according to campaigners, is the mushrooming of lyrics of reggae singers which glorify and lend legitimacy to homophobic sentiments. Among the performers most frequently pointed to as leading the trend is Buju Banton, a singer from one of Kingston’s toughest slums, whose 1992 hit, “Boom Bye Bye”, boasts of shooting gays with sub-machine guns and burning them with acid.

Another popular performer, Elephant Man, uses one song to say: “When you hear a lesbian getting raped/It’s not our fault … Two women in bed/That’s two sodomites who should be dead.”

The Stop Murder Music campaign in Britain and North America has brought the issue to international prominence, attempting to apply pressure on Banton and artists including Beenie Man, Sizzla and Bounty Killer, by calling for boycotts of concerts and the withdrawal of sponsorship.

A number of singers, including Beenie Man and Sizzla, have agreed to sign an undertaking not to repeat songs containing lyrics that advocate homophobia, but the effectiveness of the agreement has been brought into question after performers, including Banton, agreed to its sentiments only to then deny ever having made any such a commitment.

The Black Music Council, a UK-based group set up to defend the singers, has accused campaigners of censorship and racism by targeting musicians who are reflecting hardline views on homosexuality held across all ranks Jamaican society, from Christian churches and Rastafarian preachers to the country’s parliament.

Certainly, homophobia is openly expressed in the highest echelons. Ernest Smith, an MP for the ruling Jamaica Labour Party, earlier this year used a parliamentary debate to claim that “homosexual activities seem to have taken over this country” and gay men are “abusive, violent”. He added that “acts of gross indecency” between consenting gay men should be punishable by sentences of up to life imprisonment and J-FLAG, which does not disclose the location of its offices for fear of attack, should be “outlawed”.

Rebecca Schleifer, of Human Rights Watch, said: “Discrimination against people based on their actual or perceived sexual orientation is widespread and entrenched. It is expressed from the pulpit to the schoolroom to the parliament. It is very important that the voices of Jamaicans who suffer this discrimination and are trying to overcome it should be heard. This is not a case of powerful white countries seeking to impose their will and values on Jamaica.”

Those who knew Mr Terry, whose wife had separated from him and was living in Kingston with the couple’s grown-up son and daughter, confirmed that the hotel industry worker often socialised with other men, but said he had never come out as gay.

Instead, his friends focused on the unstinting decency of a lifelong volunteer in dealing with the problems of others, from Britons with lost passports to impoverished Jamaicans, whom he attempted to assist. Joy Crooks, administrator for the Committee for the Upliftment of the Mentally Ill, said: “It is very sad for us to know that John has passed in such a horrifying way. It is frightening. He was a kind and caring individual and did anything he could to help the less fortunate.”

49. Mihangel apYrs 12 Sep 2009, 11:52pm

@Tilis (deep breath)

We do whar we can, and OK we do sometimes give upo when it proves too much. But why blame this guy for not doing enough when there are so many with real power who do nothing? Must we spend our lives as individuals trying to make changes or are we allowed time out? Those whp can make a real difference in Jamaica don’t give stauff unless it affects their income.

50. Richard Grabman 13 Sep 2009, 2:18am

At the risk of sounding like I am trying to profit from this tragedy (and I’m not, living on the Pacific side of my country), might I suggest British travelers visit Mexico instead? We, too, have Caribbean beaches, “all inclusive” resorts and what not. And, despite what the foreign press suggests, our gangsters only kill each other, leaving the tourists (and the rest of us) alone.

AND… never having been under the thumb of British puritanism, we have never had any legal restrictions on sexual acts between adults. As it is, Mexicans are quite accepting, in general, of same-sex relations (even commercial ones). The last attempt to harass a gay couple in Cancún ended badly — for the police officers, who were fired.

Our constitution, by the way, specifically says that persons (which includes all people in the country, not just citizens) have the same legal rights, regardless of sexual orientation.

51. .           Tatchell started a whole load of trouble with the stop murder music campaign then backed down as soon as he felt afraid the coward.  This has emboldened the homophobes hence all these murders.              He didn’t ask gay jamaicans for advice he just put their live in his hands.     The25% of non homophobic jamaicans should be commended for their bravey.    Anyway remeber a guy was murdered Bromley.  one guy disabled in shorditch tis year  and there are 2 unsolved murders.

Oh and Richard fuvk off

52. Jean-Paul Bentham 13 Sep 2009, 7:15am

If I suceed in posting this clip, i believe it is relevant:

53. Jean-Paul Bentham 13 Sep 2009, 7:32am

Tilis:

I agree with Mihangel ap Yrs:

‘Those who can make a real difference in Jamaica don’t give stauff unless it affects their income.’

I also agree with Richard Grabman:

‘… might I suggest British travelers visit Mexico instead?’

I also agree with Jackie (40):

‘This EU assistance needs to stop until that homophobic dump (Jamaica) gets its act together.’

I also and especially agree with Paul(23):

‘As a British-born gay man of Jamaican parents who spent many years in the Caribbean I say:

“This is an ignorant hell-hole!”

Stay away from Jamaica – visit an intelligent Caribbean Island like Barbados. In Bim everyone is treated with respect.’

Tourists from the UK are welcomed here in Canada as well.

Oh, and Tillis, unless you want to express your sympathy to Mr. Terry’s family, put a sock in it, will ya.

54. Jean-Paul Bentham 13 Sep 2009, 7:50am

Regarding boycotting Jamaican products, check out a previous PinkNews story entitled: ‘Gay activists clash over tackling Jamaican homophobia’ by Mathew Hywel, April 14, 2009.

Among other things, Mr. Hywel says:

‘A campaign website, http://www.boycottjamaica.org was set up by former Human Rights Council Spokesman Wayne Besen, along with prominent LGB rights activists Jim Burroway and Michael Petrelis, and campaigns for Jamaica to become a pariah state until social attitudes on the island towards homosexuality change.’

At the time the story stimulated six (6) comments. Of the six, I recognize only two (2): Har Davids and Christina Engela who disagree on the boycott.

Personally, I thought Har had a good point, but that doesn’t mean that the EU should continue to throw money at Jamaica, innit.

55. Oh people, people, people.

There is so much written here that saddens me deeply.

The horrible murder – my condolences to the victim’s wife and children.

The Homophobia.

The Racism.

The Bisexual Erasure / The Biphobia

The internalized oppression and so much more.

Jessica Geen’s insensitivity in reporting the death of a person who was probably bisexual exposed in her failure to mention bisexual women when she should – i.e. “Sex between two women is currently legal but many lesbians face persecution.” – what??? bisexual women (the majority of queer women) don’t face persecution also?

Yes, it is the divisive language. The simplistic “thinking”. E.G. gay vs. straight, black vs. white, us vs. them, right vs. wrong. The very language and nonsensical thinking that engenders and nurtures homophobia and racism and murderous hatred.

56. There is a direct link between the Ill thought out and finished stop murder music campaign and the increase of gay murders. Tatchell walked away and this is the end result there will be more murders and boycotting Jamaica will make it worse. You don’t seem to care about the safety of gay jamaicans. Just weild your power as usual and make life or death descisions on a whim and ignore the safety of gay jamaicans. Or maybe this is what you want. If you knew any jamaicans oud know that they would die before backing down trust me sanctions will not work. we should be conversing with the 25% of non homophobic people. And jp Canada is the land of seal clubbing why in earth would anyone one there and your immigrants are robbed and lied to by tour govt. Www. Canadianimmigtants.comt

57. Tilis-

The music you refer to is degrading to women, homophobic, violent and sometimes racist.

It’s the type of music that people listen to to make themselves look and/or feel ‘tough’.

To summarise, it’s macho crap.

58. Jean-Paul Bentham 13 Sep 2009, 7:59pm

Tilis,

Sounds to me like you have been smoking Jamaica for too long.

As I said, unless you want to express your sympathy to Mr. Terry’s family, put a sock in it!

59. “And jp Canada is the land of seal clubbing”

Its also one of the only countries where we can get married and have full equality, so I sincerely doubt you can insist that Canada has anything to learn from Jamaica or take any moral high point over it.

60. The bottom line is Jamaica is corrupt and homophobic and we are still sending it millions of euros in aid. Stop the aid in order to stop the hatred. Its an insult to all europeans that we continue to financially feed a country that is still not prepared to change its ways. Petition your euro MP now!

61. Jean-Paul Bentham 15 Sep 2009, 6:02am

Tilis(56):

You’ve got a computer. Use it to get some information about Canada’s fishing industry, and then we’ll talk about seal-clubbing.

For example, if sharks ate every one of your tourists, would you object to clubbing sharks?

If rodents ate all your marijuana off the stem, would you object to clubbing rodents?

The issue here is that a British consul has been clubbed to death in Jamaica, and you don’t have the common decency to offer a word of sympathy to his family.

What does that have to do with the Canadian fishing industry? Dah.

62. I am always amazed that people still visit islands like Jamaica and Mexico. Mexico has so many unsolved foreigner murders that it gives one pause to think why anyone would risk death to get a tan. The same holds true for Jamaica for both gay and straight tourists. One of the officers I work with said he was actualyl afraid several times in jamaica on a recent vacation (he is str8 and white) and vowed to never return. dollars always talk when it comes to tourism in backwards nations. Make yours count. When you plan a vacation write to the tourism heads of these places and tell them why you are NOT going to their country and tell them exactly how many dollars you plan to spend in an inclusive and vibrant nation that welcomes everyone. And then mention that place. It does make a difference. When Wisconsin was considering adopting discrimination into their Constitution I wrote to Jim Holperin who was head of tourism at the time. We began an email exchange that showed they really do care about tourism and dollars. He was a lovely decent man and prayed the people of that state would see what was the right thing to do and not discriminate against s/s marriage in their state. Unfortunately the worst happened for gays in that state and I let Mr Holperin know that I would not ever be putting my lesbian dollars into his tourism. He was very gracious and allowed that once freedom prevailed for all he would personally take me to lunch…. In Wisconsin. Writing letters makes a difference. There are many of us that do but we need help. I am Canadian so have all sorts of rights. I still fight for equality for all my LGBT brethren no matter where they are. That is only the right thing to do.

63. Jean-Paul Bentham 17 Sep 2009, 1:35am

jaxxy:

Thanks for your input. I too am a Canadian. I have never heard anything positive from my friends returning from a vacation in Jamaica, but the opposite holds true for those returning from Mexico. This past winter, a young married straight couple met me at a local bank and they tried and tried to exprees how wonderful their week in Mexico had been, but words failed them.

In fact, more and more Canadians prefer Mexico to Florida. Have you ever visited this website:

64. Jean-Paul Bentham 17 Sep 2009, 1:39am

jaxxy:

Sorry, I clicked too soon…!

As I was saying, this website: http://mexfiles dot net/

Also, you may want to re-read Richard Grabman’s comment @ 50.