Gay bishop Gene Robinson to appear at Christian festival

1. Brian Burton 28 Aug 2009, 4:33pm

Welcome Bishop Gene….My Hero, a man of courage and principle whose ‘Love thy neighbour’ outlook is not appreciated by his Fundy opposition colleagues in the Anglican Church. I should think hate a Gay Bishop is more their calling….Go ahead Gene and knock ‘em dead at ‘The Greenbelt Festival!

2. Brian Burton 28 Aug 2009, 4:38pm

Bishop Gene Robinson….My Hero, a man of courage and principle.
    Knock ‘em dead at ‘The Greenbelt Fesival.’

3. Brian Burton 28 Aug 2009, 8:57pm

20,000 visitors to here Bishop Gene make a speach at ‘The Greenebelt Festival.’ A Gay voice of reason will be heard by the many. Including old biddies saying: “Er’e Ada, I’m told that nice looking Bishop is.. er’e… Guy.. I think its called nowadays? ” No Cissie dear It’s called Gay as in Gayity Theatre or something like that dear…whats he saying Ada?” “Telling us all to love each other…Well, I love you dear, don’t I?”

4. Jean-Paul Bentham 29 Aug 2009, 2:46am

Gene Robinson has earned a place in history.

5. His Grace Gene Robinson + is living history. He makes history every day that he lives and exercises his pastoral rights and fulfills his pastoral duties.

6. Brian Burton 29 Aug 2009, 7:33am

Jean-Paul,& John M.J.
    My two of the Brightest Boys on the block!

He shall flourish, and like a mountain cedar reach his branches to all the plains about him….King Henrey V111 act 5.

It is very curious the connection between faith and Gene Robinson’s opposition! Gene’s light tends to reveal itself to shine on all of us. whereas his opposition seem bankrupt of any new ideas, they, as a body appear to wither on the vine, if I may put it that way?

7. Rev Steve Smith 29 Aug 2009, 11:24am

Really glad to see Gene Robinson coming to Greenbelt. Some elements of the Christian Church would do well to follow his example of genuine humility and love. Well done the organisers of Greenbelt for taking the courageous step of inviting Gene to speak

8. Brian Burton 29 Aug 2009, 1:45pm

Rev. Steve Smith,
    Welcome to this Pink News Comment thread. Being a Gay Christian, It gladdens my heart to see a Ordained Minister with Gene Robinson’s courage!

9. Michael Mason 29 Aug 2009, 2:01pm

No doubting his courage and honesty – just a shame he supports a religion that explicitly condemns homosexuality in its “holy” book and for centuries put people to death for same-sex relations as Muslims do today.

10. Brian Burton 29 Aug 2009, 2:27pm

Michael Mason,
    Only people do the things you mentioned,
    myself and i’m sure the Rev. Steve would never condone it in any Religion or name……I’ve just clicked on Steve’s site by clicking his name….Very interesting.

11. Jean-Paul Bentham 29 Aug 2009, 5:38pm

“All we are saying…is give LOVE a chance”
    -John Lennon

12. Brian Burton 29 Aug 2009, 6:05pm

Jean-paul Bentham,
    You are so right to say give LOVE a chance. I think criticism can sound prejuditial from a Christian point of view…. But, to love you need passion. Al Bowley, the singer. He sang ‘Love is the greatest thing…’ and that still stands.

13. Great to see a Christian event making Gene welcome. Clearly these organisers show a lot more moral leadership than those at Lambeth, whose idea of includiveness is more in common with the Pharisees.

Anglican Mainstream might consider inviting someone with a different viewpoint to their ridiculous events; that said, last year, Joel Edwards was a guest speaker. He, along with Ann Atkins, is a director of the ex-gay group, True Freedom Trust, and is president of the Evangelical Alliance, which kicked out Jeremy Marks’ ministry, Courage, for becoming gay-affirming. It seems A.M. gets in a rage whenever anyone gives a podium for a different viewpoint. Hypocritical crackpots.

That said, I wish the organisers and the party goers a dry and uplifting weekend. ;-)

14. Brian Burton 29 Aug 2009, 8:48pm

Adrian T.
    Your excellent comment shows how imperfect people are on the question of modern morality in a given situation like a Christian Festival. Everyone has a point of view and are entitled to be heard as in any democratic forum. Sowing the seeds of discontent is always on the Fundamentalists’ agenda when facing something they fear…A Gay Bishop for instance?

15. Indeed Bury – though, Greenbelt must be feeling relieved right now, that they didn’t book Oasis to headline the event :-)

16. Brian Burton 31 Aug 2009, 7:59am

Adrian T.
    My pro-Gay Minister of my Church has a wife and four children. The two oldest went to the Christian Festival on the weekend. I mentioned Bishop Gene was to appear there and speak. And my Minister said he wished he could be there also to hear Gene Robinson speak. I did ask my Minister how he came to be pro-Gay? he replied: Well, I worked at the BBC before doing this job.

17. Cheers. How many people remember that Bishop robinson was threatened with murder, and had to wear a bullet proof vest at his ordination.

And what is the root of all the crap about gays – the Ultra orthodox Jews, who seem to forget that their very close relatives shared hitlers ovens with the gays of Germany. And the Catholic church hierarchy (there are a lot of very progressive Catholic people eg Ted Kennedy) whose church has engaged in virtually every kind of debauchery in Jesus name over the course of history.

And who terrorize their own priests with threats of being excommunicated if they don’t kiss the diarhearing asshole of the pope. Located just beneath his nose.

Every self respecting Catholic should tell the church they won’t see a penny until they get rid of Razi the Nazi, and get modern.

And tell the old man of the Anglican church to go retire, so it can join the American Episcopal church (the American Branch of the Anglican communion) in recognizing gay people as part of God’s creation.

18. I should note that I am jewish , though I have made a decision to join the UU church, which actively supports, not just passively supports, gay people. With word and deed, compared to our gutless rabbi.

19. Brian Burton 31 Aug 2009, 12:01pm

SteveMD2,
    I’m with you all the way and glad you joined UU Church. I’ve always said that Life is simple, It’s people who are complex. An injection of Bishop Gene Robinson is what is needed to counter the feable and lac-lustre speaches, of those in the Churches of Cantabury and Ratzi the Nazi.

20. Your Grace Gene you are a super star

21. Brian Burton 31 Aug 2009, 2:23pm

Rich,
    Thank you for saying that…Your not just a pretty face. Your super yourself.

22. Jean-Paul Bentham 31 Aug 2009, 11:17pm

SteveMD2:

What The World Needs Now…Is People Like You!!!

Great progressive thinking there. Yea.

Personally, I am a ‘lapsed catholic’, and I ain’t giving a penny to the RCC.

23. Bishop Ioan 17 Sep 2009, 2:43pm

I think it is wonderful. Anglican Mainstream is just a religious cover for homophobes. They need to get over themselves. Bp. Robinson will be a wonderful addition to the festival.

24. Miriam, the tranz Schmiriam 10 Nov 2009, 11:20pm

“Welcome Bishop Gene….My Hero” When all along we were thinking that was Adolf Hitler, Brian!

25. And now the Episcopal church has appoinbted a lesbian as a new Bishop. Wonderful. This is how things change. of course there will be the haters and biblical fundamentalists who want to keep living in the dark ages. But ultimately those churches will preach only to the dust in the pews and the dust of the departed.

And Jesus true kingdom will rule. Where religious bigots will be despised here, and where God will send them in the next life.