Irish cardinal renews attack on civil partnerships

1. the other one 24 Aug 2009, 11:46am

I spy a religious catapiler.

2. “The Roman Catholic Church in Ireland has said it may support a legal challenge to new legislation.”

They “may” ‘support’ a legal challenge. Why don’t they ‘mount’ one themselves if they are so bothered about it.

Bring it on Cardinal Brady.

3. Edward in Los Angeles 24 Aug 2009, 11:54am

Another bigot heard from.

4. You’d think that that old fool would keep his mouth shut. I mean he’s the leader of an organisation which for generations protected its clergy while they engaged in the systematic sexual, physical and psychological abuse of children. An organisation as morally bankrupt as the catholic church is in no position to be sitting in judgement on anyone or anything.

5. Shocker: man who hates gays hates gay-friendly legislation.

They can only support legal challenges and not launch them because doing so would threaten their tax-exempt status, and like all primary branches of the Roman Catholic church they value their vestments & property over their ‘principles’.

(Which is rather handy I suppose, since they’d have truckloads of money at their disposal if they chose to sacrifice their priviliged status.)

6. “I understand the fears of people who are afraid that civil partnership will undermine marriages.”

Enlighten us, please.

7. Jean-Paul Bentham 24 Aug 2009, 12:41pm

“Babies are not born hating or fearing gay people; they grow up learning from the people around them to hate or fear.”
    -Bruce Hilton

Nice outfit; Custom taylored with parish funds? How’s your wine cellar these days?

The price of heating that barn behind you could pay for a year’s supply of maize for starving Africans, but that ain’t your problem, is it? Burp.

Did you get a new Mercedes thing year or are you stll driving that old BMW?

8. Brian Burton 24 Aug 2009, 1:11pm

Jean-Paul Bentham,

9. Brian Burton 24 Aug 2009, 1:16pm

Roman Catholic Clergy undermines vunerable children since they have paid out Millions in compensation for their years of sexual abuse.

10. “The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of marriage, on which the family is founded, and to protect it against attack.”

The constitution doesn’t need changing. It isn’t relevant in any way to this issue. Whenever anything needs to be done in Ireland somebody reaches for a copy of the Constitution, originally written in the 1940s, and finds a paragraph that apparently prevents people in the 21st century from changing anything. No wonder it took until 1993 to decriminalise homosexuality, which is a disgrace!

11. John(Derbyshire) 24 Aug 2009, 1:47pm

Civil Partnerships are fundamentally different from marriage! They are CIVIL partnerships with NO religious connotations. Furthermore-they are NOT available to heterosexuals.

If the bishop were to express opposition to civil CEREMONIES for heterosexuals-then that would make more sense. Homos can`t get married as things stand now!

12. Another cleric in a frock decides to criticise gays – note he was very silent over the years and years of child abuse by catholic clerics.
    I say bring on a case – let’s have this bigotry out in open court.

13. Fascinating that this old twat thinks the Catholic Church is in the best position to dictate what is best for the child….? What’s clearly best for the child is keeping then away form the priests, according to the Ryan Report. What an utter hypocrite.

14. “In a sermon yesterday Cardinal Brady claimed Catholics, who make up 87% of the Republic’s 4.4m population, would have to choose to “stand clearly on the side of Christ or depart from him.”

All the more reason for gay people to sign out of the church and reduce his “flock size”!

See: www dot countmeout dot ie

15. In a sermon yesterday Cardinal Brady claimed Catholics, who make up 87% of the Republic’s 4.4m population, would have to choose to “stand clearly on the side of Christ or depart from him.”

Interesting stats above, does he actually think that all the Catholics in Ireland stand for what he believes, or that 87% agree with the abuse and the silence that surrounds it. So many are turning away from the church in Ireland, and that kn@b in the frock is one of the main reasons. Only one person can judge us and it isn’t the twit in the picture. Bring on the challenge, but at the same time lets talk about the abuse, and how it has been covered up…… Am sure silence will remain. Let the church rant and rave all they want, its a dying traditon and when masses are empty and the vatican vaults have to be raided to pay for new frocks perhaps then their eyes will be opened to fact that are like many of the things they worhsip…..Relics

16. What the Church stands to lose is its control over the poorest members of its congregations pouring money into its already-full coffers! The Catholic Church has controlled its members by FEAR for centuries. Now the Church members have woken up at last and smelled the coffee! They now see the institution for what it is.

Respect is not earned by control & bigotry but by compassion!

17. Jean-Paul Bentham 24 Aug 2009, 2:45pm

On the off chance that you want an interesting perspective on religion’s role in society and in civilization, visit 21stCenturySpirituality personal profile on my.pinknews.co.uk, bring a good cup of coffee (or tea), and settle down for 20 minutes of the fascinating and highly likely way the ancients invented religions. About 20 minutes; you will not regret it: guaranteed!!

The Cardinal himself knows all about the origins of religion, that’s for sure, and these videos will tear the red frock right off his back, not to menion the lace and all those prety things.

18. civil partnerships DO undermine marriage but not in the way he thinks. Civil Partnerships undermine same-sex marriage and equality for gay people generally.

someone should ask him if he’d prefernthey got rid of the civil partnerships and just had proper gay marriage instead.

19. “In a sermon yesterday Cardinal Brady claimed Catholics . . . would have to choose to ‘stand clearly on the side of Christ or depart from him.'”

“Er, Dear People of Ireland, sure your choice is as follows: stand on the side of this Christ guy wot chanted a few piffly platitudes back in the dark ages, or, er, have life of freedom, progress, openness, and lack of suppression NOW!”

20. People opposed to gay marriage or CP always claim that these undermine traditional marriage but they always fail to explain how this is actually happening. As far as I can see, straight couples are doing a very nice job of undermining marriage themselves but in any case, how can giving more people the opportunity to join in something undermine it?

Oh, and Mr Bishop, can you tell us which version of the Traditional Biblical Marriage (TM) you support exactly?

21. Har Davids 24 Aug 2009, 3:20pm

No ‘spiritual’ organisation anywhere should have the final say in the way society is being run, especially not when those organisations have murky pasts. Sean Brady is way out of line and he’d better shut up on any subject until he has cleaned out the sty he calls the Irish Churc.

22. Anybody got an email address for this self-appointed little hot-liner to god aka Sean Brady? I reckon we need to start telling him a thing or two.

23. “If you’re a Catholic in Ireland, then click here to show Brady what choice YOU are making!”

Eddy, I signed out of the church 9 years ago…. best thing I ever done. I won’t be one of that 87% he’s talking about.

I encourage others to do the same, it might not mean much to you, but it lets them know why you will not support their poisonous church and be counted as one, even a “lapsed” one.

24. Then let’s get rid of CPs and just have marriage for everyone, Cardinal Brady. I presume he’s also against civil marriages because they’re not ‘marriages under God’ so must be undermining society too according to his logic.

25. theotherone 24 Aug 2009, 5:56pm

‘That ‘theotherone’ is a Fundy, he/she keeps on slithering out of their Fundy slime-pit!’

–can you explain yourself Brian? I’m a ‘fundy’ – what do you mean. Please enlighten me.

26. And who asked the opinion of this ridiculous man wearing a frock?

What makes the Catholic Church – which presided over (and hushed up) the chronic sexual and physical abuse of thousands upon thousands of vulnerable children – think it has any right or moral authority to speak out on what’s wrong for society? They’ve caused more misery and suffering and damage than most other organisations I can think of.

But even putting that aside, how can a “celibate” unmarried man wearing a frock know anything about marriage or what’s normal?

Perhaps he is jealous as we all know that back in the old days some gay people repressed themselves and joined the priesthood as a cover. Well, it’s not our fault you don’t have the balls to come out the closet and instead wasted your life worshipping a fictional being that doesn’t exist.

What this stupid old fool needs to realise is that people are leaving his churches in droves because they’re fed up of the hypocrisy, the corruption and the witch-hunts against people (burning “witches” at the stake a few hundred years ago, then repressing women, now trying to stop gay people gaining equality).

Idiot.

27. Simon Murphy 24 Aug 2009, 7:01pm

No 22: Eddy: You ask: “Anybody got an email address for this self-appointed little hot-liner to god aka Sean Brady? I reckon we need to start telling him a thing or two. ”

His email address is admin@aracoeli.com

28. John (Derbyshire) 24 Aug 2009, 7:26pm

Spot on Xania!!!

29. Eagle Ashcroft 24 Aug 2009, 10:21pm

Just how in the h-ll dose it undermine marriage? Marriage is about two people loving each other and wanting to be bound by law (not religion)as one. Marriage has nothing to do with religion nor sex or (Jesus who by the buy-bull preached love and equality)giving special rights to religious nuts. This wacko religious leader of the Cat Licker church probably likes little boys and now he pretends his kind did nothing wrong in abusing little boys, so he hates the idea that his brothers in the wool want to have civil unions and is more than likely just jealous. I hope the Cat Licker church goes broke and goes under and get’s out of our hair.

30. Jean-Paul Bentham 25 Aug 2009, 1:53am

Judging by the caliber of this debate, I truly believe PinkNews is the most intelligent and civilized gay newspaper in the entire world. I just don’t see this kind of relevant debate happening elsewhere. and that, to me, means we are getting closer to our goal.

31. the other one 25 Aug 2009, 11:21am

wow: insulted by Brian who then refused to answer my question.

You’d think he worked for Labour with such behaviour.

32. the other one 25 Aug 2009, 11:43am

I’d also love to point out (re the story) that the catholic church dosen’t have the power it once did in Ireland.

You see people got a bit pissed off with the Child Abuse stuff and the colusion of the State in covering it up.

33. Jean-Paul Bentham 25 Aug 2009, 5:00pm

The RCC is less and less attractive to anybody who thinks.

34. theotherone 25 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

as are the priests.

35. “Slime-Ball, you like to think you are having the last word don’t you madame slither?”

WTF?

36. the other one 26 Aug 2009, 10:38am

I wonderd that too tara.

BB acuses me of all sorts of things and never replies when I ask him to clarify his comments.

He acuses me of being a Fundamentalist but when I asked him what he ment he mearly threw this bizare post back in my face. I think he’s angry because I pointed out that his language on another story was mysoginistic but, to be honest, I’ve no idea what his problem is.

37. Fundamentalist??!?!? What ARE you talking about?

Can someone clarify, is Brian Burton suffering from something dysfunctional in the mind, or is he taking the piss?

38. the other one 26 Aug 2009, 12:55pm

I wonderd that myself.

I’ve asked him to elaberate on his alagations but he just throws insults at me.

Fundamentalist? I’ve got into fights on here because I don’t think that some posters are radical enough!

39. the other one 26 Aug 2009, 1:02pm

this is another post by the same person:

‘other one,
    What is Queer Rights as you so Queerly put it? Can’t Slime-Ball idiots like you find employment to keep you from cruising GAY sites looking to get your JOLLIES. MONKEY CHOPS!!!’

They atacked me when I critisised the idea of ‘don’t vote’ Anarchism and said that this was counterproductive and would result in our Rights getting ignored.

He started screaming at me and hasn’t stoped.

40. Jean-Paul Bentham 26 Aug 2009, 3:35pm

Give it a break, willya.

If you guys had been through what we, and that includes my friend Brian Burton, endure at the hands of those ex-gay fundies who bulldoze their way in here and disrupt us for days an end, you’d be a tad trigger-happy too.

Brian is a good man and he means no harm. So cool it, OK.

Love ya.

41. “my friend Brian Burton”

You know this person personally, in the flesh? And you support his lunatic attacks on people here?

I’d suggest he get some help then. Perhaps an intervention?

What have I stumbled into here?!?!?!? Anyway, this is not you private site for you and your “friends”, it’s for all people. Who the hell do you think you are telling people to “cool” it with offensive people like Brian? And Brian is offensive without provocation, and has clearly something wrong with him “good guy” or not. You need to reconsider your choices in “friend”, as they reflect on you as a person.

42. Brian Burton 26 Aug 2009, 5:41pm

the other one,
    You Slime-Ball ( you love this name by now you masochist!) You keep on plugging ‘Mysoginistic.’ I fully expect you hate woman Slimy one. This is the very reason you probably play with your cock while posting on this Gay Site!

43. Brian Burton 26 Aug 2009, 5:53pm

Tara,
    You sound young and easily goaded into showing your temper by a pro-agitator like he who cannot speak his/her name, instead it’s ‘THEOTHERONE.’ would you trust someone calling themselves..’THEOTHERONE?’ Just think about it a monent!

44. “You sound young and easily goaded into showing your temper”

Oh, I am sorry. I forgot its perfectly sane to say “I fully expect you hate woman Slimy one” or “You are finished Slime-Bal” to someone? Please, you’re embarrassing yourself. These are empty base insults and have no bearing in a civilised discussion.

YOU strike me as someone who has a temper yourself, VERY easily goaded. I suspect you are a bouncer, perhaps, or an army person? (Your spelling and grammar are quite simply appalling) They tend to have similar low brow reactions to non-provocation, and limited intellect to respond accordingly, with either civility or restraint.

45. the other one 26 Aug 2009, 7:03pm

‘You are finnished Slime-Ball’

A threat now! How things have steped up.

Change my name? I only did that once about three years ago for my own reasons. I’ve been posting here for quite some time under the same name if you care to read my posts and if you have read my posts you would know I’m a ‘Transwoman’ so you can fvuck off with your ‘you probably play with your cock.’

I don’t know who the hell you think I am but if you’ll note I have atacked religion on this thread, spoke about the creeping menace of ‘ex-gay’ retorich on another and spoke of my delight in a Polish court rulling in favour of a Gay Man.

Or perhaps you fear me? Perhaps I’m to smart for you? Perhaps it’s that I’m not a Gay Man. Hell knows to be honest but I have reported your posts to the moderator.

46. the other one 26 Aug 2009, 7:40pm

Jean-Paul: perhaps I should ‘cool it’ when I’m being called names, when I am the victim of Transpobic bullyinmg on this site? When I’m being threatend with violance?

47. Brian Burton 26 Aug 2009, 7:54pm

the other one,
    You would use any underhand ploy to gain sympathy…Skuzz off!

48. Eagle Ashcroft 26 Aug 2009, 8:55pm

Wow a cat fight! I came back to read more comments on the Cat-Licker Cardinal and read a cat fight in full swing. I don’t want to be in the middle of it but I am on the side of all my gay brothers and sisters and oppose religious trolls who hate gays and post on this site their ridiculous claims of “ex-gays” and quotes from their fairy-tale book the “Holely Buy-Bull” in order to back up their agendas because in reality they are nothing but flaming closet queens and kings and they do not want anyone to suspect they are, so they attack their own brothers and sister to make them appear less gay. But only an idiot with the brains of a duck would think otherwise.

49. In curious as to why you think ‘theotherone’ is a fundie?

50. theotherone 27 Aug 2009, 9:18am

I wonderd that myself will but anyway let’s get this thread back on topic…

As I said earlied the Catholic Church in Ireland no longer holds the power it did even a year ago so this idiot priest is just lashing out in anger.

Why can’t he acept that the Church in Ireland is in it’s twilight and it only has itself to blame?

51. Brian Burton 27 Aug 2009, 12:15pm

Will,
    theotherone is a gold plated, experianced CON-MAN. He will get your confidanc then pounce! I should imagine he picked up his Con-artistry in prison. Tell me Will, would you trust somebody calling themselves ‘theotherone?’ One of his side-kicks is ‘HANK.’

52. Brian Burton 27 Aug 2009, 12:42pm

Theotherone,
    I am letting things ride for now. But, I will carefully monitor your comments.

53. theotherone 27 Aug 2009, 7:41pm

you’ve backed down then?

‘the other one’ is a play on ‘the other half.’ I refer to my pasrtner as ‘the other half’ and I am, therefore, ‘the other one.’

As I pointed out: I am a Transwoman so I would ask you not to refer to me useing Male Pronouns.

Thankyou.

54. Jean-Paul Bentham 27 Aug 2009, 7:53pm

Instead of starting a flame-war, I suggest you register as members as my.PinNews.co.uk and give us an idea of who you are. Ain’t that fair?

In the meantime, I do stand with my very good friend, Brian Burton.

But you all are really disrupting the debate about the good Cardinal, and you may be reported if you carry on like this, innit.

55. Brian Burton 28 Aug 2009, 6:16am

theotherone,
    If what you say is true, why not come out with it in the first place instead of leading this ‘Brush-war’ we’ve been having?

56. theotherone 28 Aug 2009, 11:00am

come out with what? I don’t think I need to explain anything to you BB.

Now an apology from you and this will all be over.

57. Brian Burton 28 Aug 2009, 12:48pm

theotherone….GET STUFFED! along with that superior attitued you obviously possess!

58. theotherone 28 Aug 2009, 1:48pm

I’m not superior, I just don’t hurl abuse at people for no reason.

I’ll tell you want BB:I’ll ignore you if you ignore me OK?

59. In a sermon yesterday Cardinal Brady claimed Catholics would have to choose to “stand clearly on the side of Christ or depart from him.”

What a load of totally UNCHRISTIAN piffle! If the Almighty saw fit that I was born gay, who’s this idiot in a frock to come out with such untruth!
    When the powerful see their powerbase threatened [the report on child abuse in the Dublin archdiocese is ready for publication (current court cases are holding it up)] they desperately need a scapegoat to portray as ‘the enemy’. It’s the classic behaviour of the tyrant, the dictator and the bully to divert attention away from themselves on to a vulnerable group … Hitler did it with the Jews and the Catholic Church [and other churches] do it to the gays!

60. Brian Burton 28 Aug 2009, 4:21pm

theotherone,
    Fair enough, you sound consolatry, I do apologise since I acknowledge I did get it wrong in thinking you were a Religious Fundamentalist. A Fundamentalist named Hank called us Sodomites on these threads and that made all of us jumpy. Once again theotherone, I’m sorry and I hope you will forgive me one day?

61. Jean-Paul Bentham 28 Aug 2009, 6:39pm

I am very proud of all of you. You know who you are.

Love ya.

62. Eagle Ashcroft 28 Aug 2009, 6:52pm

What the h-ll is a Sodomite? I have heard the name before but never knew what it meant. I thought it has something to do with the inhabitants of the mythical town from a fairy tale where trolls and fairies live some where in the woods in Middle Earth from Lord of the Rings, but am not sure why anyone would call some one a Sodomite from the story unless they thought that person had supernatural magical powers. I once was told by a cousin he was “afraid Sodomites would attack a young man he knew.” I assumed he believed that some sort of monster was going to come in the night and carry him a way to this mythical place and figured my cousin had lost his mind as he was a Mormon and I know all Mormons or morons are crazy any way.

63. Brian Burton 28 Aug 2009, 7:47pm

Eagle Ashcroft,
    When the Tower of Able fell, It caused a lot of unnecessary hell, personal raport became a complicated bore and a lot more difficult than it had been before, when the tower of Able fell. The Chincs and the Japs and the Finns and Laps were reduced to a helpless stammer. The anciant Greeks took at least six weeks to learn their Latin grammer. The gutteral wheeze of the Portugees filled the brains of the Danes with horror; and verbs not lost, were the final bust, in Sodom and Gomorrah…..Now do yo know what SODOM is Eagle my Boy?

64. theotherome 28 Aug 2009, 8:58pm

you are forgiven.

What’s a sodomite? What Religionists call Gay Men because they (the religionists) are idiots.

65. theotherome 28 Aug 2009, 9:00pm

‘ I assumed he believed that some sort of monster was going to come in the night and carry him a way to this mythical place’ the mythic al place being (ofcorse) his nice flat in a fashonable part of London.

66. Brian Burton 28 Aug 2009, 10:32pm

theotherone,
    Good Girl!…..That naughty Eagle Ashcroft is taking the mick!

67. Brian Burton 28 Aug 2009, 10:36pm

theotherone,
    Catch me on Bishop Gene thread?

68. Jean-Paul Bentham 29 Aug 2009, 2:43am

OMG! Now theotherone and Brian are getting friendly. Youse guys are so queer!

69. The Irish government plans have the backing of the opposition, so I don’t think the RC church has much room for manoeuvre. I am not sure if the Irish upper house, the Senate, can block or just delay matters.

However, from what I have read, Irish civil and public services are both heavily infiltrated by Knights of Columbanus and/or members of Opus Dei, who apparently routinely thwarted and obstruct the business of government in the Republic. Therefore, I think it will be very difficult to get registrars to officiate civil partnerships.

Also, the RC hierarchy will probably threaten to excommunicate any Catholic registrar who performs a civil partnership ceremony. Unlike UK were a few registrars have refused and found themselves ostracised, the opposite might probably be the case in the Republic.

Can anyone living in ROI confirm or clarify?

70. “However, from what I have read, Irish civil and public services are both heavily infiltrated by Knights of Columbanus and/or members of Opus Dei”

I’d like to see where you read that, I doubt its anything but an exaggeration and scaremongering.

“Therefore, I think it will be very difficult to get registrars to officiate civil partnerships.”

I doubt it, as Ireland already has for some time now, equality legislation protecting people on nine grounds, including sexual orientation, in the provision of goods and services. If a registrar refuses, its discrimination, so the Registrar’s office can be taken to court by the Equality Authority. I doubt very many will want to lose their job over it, and Irish people are generally un-homophobic as a society, its the government and “the church” that are behind the times, not the culture. Besides, I doubt they will take it to court, the Irish Supreme Court might rule in favour of the definition of marriage in our constitution does not solely mean “man & woman”, or that the Supreme Court will decide the constitution protects the freedoms of all its citizens, not just the ones the church doesn’t like. Either way, let them try.

“RC hierarchy will probably threaten to excommunicate any Catholic registrar who performs a civil partnership ceremony.”

Nothing new. They do the same with anyone who has, aided, or agrees with abortion. Let them, it only reinforced the downward spiral that the church is in in Ireland.

71. Jean-Paul Bentham 29 Aug 2009, 6:01pm

I was more involved with the RCC than I care to admit…before I turned my back on Ben16.

The Knights of Columbus specialize in keeping themselves out of the News while doing everything in their power to lobby governments all over the world in favour of right-wing, fossilized catholic theology.

What power does the K of C have? For starters, I can prove to you that they have two or three times as much money as the entire Vatican.

They make their money running a catholic life insurance company.

They are just as much a social club as the Lions or Rotary International. In terms of fund-raising, if every Knight of Columbus gave one dollar, the K of C could raise millions of dollars any day of the week.

The chink in their armour: they are full of cr*p, and most members have no way out once they’ve been “secretly initiated”, and oh yes, catholic women hate the K of C because they are bacically the definition of patriarchy (secretly, of course).

Even parish priests don’t like them, and bishops have no choice but to put up with their swords, coloured ostrich feathers and capes, remnants of medieaval symbolism that means twat today.

Contary to popular belief, it takes more than money…

But I’m not bitter!

72. Brian Burton 29 Aug 2009, 9:09pm

Jean-Paul Bentham,
    You are the least bitter person I know. Like a Professor escaping from ivy-covered halls (not so simple maybe?) you also escaped a life that would patently have been a mistake. To have surended yourself to ‘H.O.’ then you would have had to surender your imagination as well….You, wheather you know it or not JP are the luckiest Guy in Bath, New Brunswick.

73. Jean-Paul Bentham 29 Aug 2009, 11:14pm

Gros merci, Brian. I agree, except that I’m just an ordinary guy.

74. @18.01

Thank you for the information about the nefarious Knights of Columbanus. The tyranny of the RC church in ROI is everywhere.

I also read recently that many people, particularly amongst the older generation or those with “religious” in the family, are very angry with the victims of RC abuse.

75. Was this Brady bloke, anybody know, as vociferous while his underlings were busy ‘busying’ themselves with children..?

That was/is a scandal within the Church; why is he bothering himself with what he perceives as a scandal outside the Church?

I repeat, this bloke has my tenner on him at Joe Coral’s bookies the day after Ratzi snuffs it, to be the next occupant of Holy Pete’s.
    Is that ‘un-waffly’ enough….GEORGE…?

K

76. Although he is a cardinal, I believe he is the Archbishop of Armagh and primate of all Ireland, including Northern Ireland (I think).

There are many bishops in the Republic, but it is currently the diocese of Dublin which is under investigation and a report was recently delivered to the Minister of Justice.

The government is very nervous about publication of Dublin report coming so soon after the Ryan Report.

Archbishop Martin of Dublin has already warned people of the horrendous content of the Dublin report. Rumour suggests literally thousands of children must have been molested. For example, 500 priests have been identified over a certain period.

Yes, as bad as that.

77. “With those sorts of attitudes and secret societies like KC and Opus I don’t hope out too much hope for civil partnerships in the Republic.”

Dave, no offence, but I think you’re reading the Lonely Planet Guide for Ireland from the 1930’s! You’re information is wrong, out of date, and from a highly questionable source. CP’s will be introduced in this country, and the “Opus Dei and KC conspiracy” you keep bringing up is not going on in Ireland.

Where on earth are you getting this bogus information?!? Please, show me your sources, or stop with the religious paranoid crap about a country you clearly don’t know.

78. Tony Lambert 31 Aug 2009, 6:43am

Well, folk,s I HAVE contributed before. And regardless of which, George has a good point guys, why are you so affront to listening to him? Just becuase he didn’ty post before, according to your “records” (which you must keep for some reason)? Does that detract from the fact he has made a valid point? Do you three own this forum? You act like you do.

You three are destroy these threads for other people with your private nattering, as surely as the religious nuts do using the EXACT same tactic. Why do you do that?

79. Brian Burton 31 Aug 2009, 8:43am

Tony Lambert,

80. @Will:

Over the last six months the Irish Independent online newspaper – Independent.ie – has more or less portrayed a country in crisis verging on collapse, economically and morally. Also, I think people in UK would be surprised just how much ROI is tuned into British culture. This is not the case in reverse; very little is reported on ROI.

81. “Over the last six months the Irish Independent online newspaper – Independent.ie – has more or less portrayed a country in crisis verging on collapse, economically and morally.”

Moral collapse? Since when? Show me the article. You refer to the Ryan Report? This is not a collapse of the “morality” of the country, but a collapse of the morality of the catholic church.

Again, I ask, show me the articles/sources that refer to Opus Dei and KoC running the country.

“Also, I think people in UK would be surprised just how much ROI is tuned into British culture”

You are joking, aren’t you? The reason Ireland has so much British culture as you put it, is that the British occupied Ireland for nearly 900 years.

Again, nothing you have said gives any weight to your unsubstantiated references to a “country in crisis verging on collapse, economically and morally”. I live in Ireland. I am Irish. So , there is no “moral crisis”, just a population tired of these child abusing hypocrites.

You don’t get an understanding of a country by just reading one newspaper, Dave. And I suspect you know not what you are talking about.

82. “We belive GEORGE to be a religious fundamentalist nutter, formally called Monkey Chops….OK Sonny?”

And pray tell, exactly WHY do you believe that?

83. Brian Burton 31 Aug 2009, 11:37am

Will,
    This George hase been having a go at Jean-Paul, Keith and Me Brian. Keith suffered the first tirade from him then all three of us come under fire. We could not find any George comments on that thread other than his derogitry comments.

84. True, but he could just be a strangler, someone who reads but doesn’t post. His comments are not reminiscent of Monkeychops, though.

85. Brian Burton 31 Aug 2009, 2:36pm

Will I agree, I’ve just encounterd Monkeychops on the ‘Gay TV’ thread. Some time ago Jean-Paul and Pumpkin Pie exposed Munkychops for pretending he was one of us, but is a Fundy in disguise! Monkeychops disapeared for a time and now he/she is back and at it again. I noticed his first comment on the Gay TV thread said: “There is no need for Gay TV Programmes.”…Of course he’s against Gay TV!

86. Jean-Paul Bentham 31 Aug 2009, 6:27pm

What’s the definition of a will?

It’s a dead giveaway!

87. You, (JP-B, and BB) can stop it NOW with your jokes and your George Formby (great, btw!)salacious lyrics..!

Yer’ll gerrus all kep’ in on detention..

I am making a new ‘autumn’ revolution, (comes earlier than them for New Year)…and that is not to spoke until speaken to..

So good-bye and well…
    Goodbye..
    K

88. Brian Burton 1 Sep 2009, 10:26am

How dare the RCC attack any Civil Partnership. How can they complain about anything with mountains of Child abuse hanging over their hypocritical heads…Give me streangth!!

89. Brian Burton 1 Sep 2009, 11:49am

It is easy for anyone to call the Pope Ratzi the Nazi. (And believe me I’m not defending this Pope.) But, Born into a country on it’s knees politically and financially in 1927. People could literally paper their walls with the German Mark because it was worthless. So, when Hitler came to power in 1933 and introduced his hate manifestoes to the German people. Ratzinger would only have been six years old. By the time he was a teenager, the Nazi-youth programme would have put claim to him. By 1945 and the end of the war, Ratzi would still have been a 16/17 year old youth. Certainly not allowed to shape his own destiny by the state. But after 1945 he would have been allowed to think for himself. Oh, please don’t anyone say, he still had a choice under the Nazi regime, The Nazis killed thousands of Children and Babies in the concentration camps. I read about a German Boy who went to the authorities and asked if he could emigrate. They arrested him and beat him to death in custody then put his death down to natural causes.

90. Brian, please do not come in here and defend that piece of yak dung Ratzinger to us.

And does it really surprise you that he spent his childhood in the Hitler-Jugend? Yes, he has a choice afterwards, but what he chose to do is rise to the top ranks of the catholic church to launch a tirade against gay people…. and his ideals now are more in line with the Nazi Party ideals than even his predecessor. The Nazi Party still lives on his his narrow dogma, and he’s obsessed with endorsing the persecution of gay people.

Just because you need to follow a religion and call yourself a “christian gay”, doesn’t mean we all have to accept your pandering to one of the most oppressive popes (and anti-gay people) in living memory. Wake up and smell the coffee, and don’t expect me to agree with that nonsense you wrote. In my view, religion is the recourse of the weak and fearful, and the tool of those who seek to hold power with oppression.

91. Brian Burton 1 Sep 2009, 4:11pm

Will,
    I said in my first paragraph that I was not defending Ratzi.
    All I did was point out what would have occured between 1933 to 1945. I would not defend Ratzi at any price.

92. You said “Certainly not allowed to shape his own destiny by the state”

Yes, and when the state passed into history, he kept on their nazi ideals, didn’t he?

93. Brian Burton 1 Sep 2009, 5:33pm

Will, I know all what you are saying but I do not understand why your harassing me over it? Am I not allowed to speak or pass comment on this thread? I thought we had become friends.

94. Brian Burton 2 Sep 2009, 6:57am

Will,
    Bigotry seams to be the main weapon of the ignorant Church leadership nomatter what the denomination. In my time I have lived with one foot in jail for being Homosexual. Because of so much Bigotry and having to keep a very low profile and the threat of prosicution if found out. Gays of my generation’s developement was painfully slow. Now, things are moving so fast, it makes my head spin sometimes I get a feeling of uforia constantly and it’s hard to contain my feelings sometimes. I tend to clime onto a roof-top and shout ‘Woopee’ This feeling I have, is not very understandable to others around me and therefore I am (quite rightly) rebuked for it.

95. Brian, I am not harassing, I’m a shocked by what I deem your defence of that heinous man. I don’t have an issue with you being Christian, Christianity has a great message, I have an issue with that reptile pope and dogma he spouts… not just on gays, but on science and a lot of other things.

96. “Gays of my generation’s developement was painfully slow. Now, things are moving so fast, it makes my head spin sometimes I get a feeling of uforia constantly and it’s hard to contain my feelings sometimes”

Brian, I do have one or two friends over the age of 60, and yes, they share this feeling you have. I have a lot of respect for what they did by coming out before it was “cool to have a gay friend”. So do understand this, (if not from a personal perspective), and sometime we “younger ones” (is 37 considered young any more?) forget it was a lot harder years ago. So no need to make apologies for that.

97. Brian Burton 2 Sep 2009, 9:34am

Will,
    I thank you my friend, One thing, 37 is young to me. My Life partner (also civil Partner) we were living together two years before you were Born!…I can’t belive I’ve reached 70, Boys I sat next to in school have already Kicked the bucket…Still, thats Life!

98. Wow, that’s a long time, and a testament to you and your partner… I’m with my partner 7 years, and I consider that an achievement… suppose I should wait until I get to your stage before I give myself the blue ribbon and pat my self on the back, eh? :)

99. Now then, Will..!
    Now, then Brian..!!

I have already gone thro’ 2 boxes of KLEENEX and you know what’ll be next…

You be gerrin’ tellt to gerra private 4um goin’ from that prefect wossisface….
    Ey-oop…he’s on t’ way…

And there wer me, promisin’ to be a good boy. I med what Hilda Baker would call ‘a New Autumn’s revolution’ back on Aug 31 at midnight..
    Sorrow, boys…couldn’t resist….so touchinggg…!

But that George’ll be at you or is it RealityCheck or Tits-and-splather, in de skies..?

K
    Shh..
    I’m gone….

100. Brian Burton 2 Sep 2009, 11:09pm

Cardinal Sean Brady…You Roman Catholic ‘CHILD ABUSERS’ think you have the right to say that my Civil Partnership is undermining this and that. I wish it would undermine you RC CHILD ABUSERS who continue to live a lie and pretend you are not resposible for your Prists actions over many years of hidden and secret SEX ABUSE OF CHILDREN? There will be a lot of mill-stones around the necks of the ABUSERS before they are cast into the sea!

101. Brian Burton 3 Sep 2009, 1:04pm

There are moments when I tend to look very hard a so-called moral people. Where the moral sense is dominant in someone, they seem cruel, vindictive,rather stupid and lacking in the smallest sense of humanity. I’d sooner be surronded by dozens of imoral people. After all, Jesus dined with publicans and sinners and was challenged about it. His answer was simple, I have not come to minister to the rightious Matey…!

102. The religious commentator for The Irish Times said on RTE news (online) he was very surprised by the Cardinal’s strident tone (he’s not like that) and suspected he was put up to it by Rome.

Tell us news, dear, not history.