Tory LGBT group calls for ‘official reprimand’ for Tory MEP who said homophobia was propaganda

1. Simon Murphy 12 Aug 2009, 2:45pm

Typical Tory scum pretending his words were taken ‘out of context’.

We can all read – the guy is facist scum. Just like most of the Tory Party when it comes to LGBT people

2. theotherone 12 Aug 2009, 7:28pm

I’d watch what you say now The Dark Lord’s running the country after all he sued Mathew Paris for saying he liked it up the bottom.

And didn’t he sue someone for saying his parents where Jewsih?

Politions: they’re all scum.

I assume this post will be removed?

3. In what way are these words out of context? I’ve read the blog and it sounds perfectly in context. As for gay tories, what will they think of next? Milk in a bag?

4. Now he has disabled the comments on his site. Haha, got fed up with all the criticism no doubt.

5. Simon Murphy: Tory! Rant! Bastards! Whine! Scribble, scribble! email address!

6. Never Kissed a Tory 13 Aug 2009, 7:58am

You got to feel sorry for gay Tories. Apart from their self-esteem and self-loathing issues, how the hell can you wake up every day to try to support a party full of the nastist bigots? And please no-one claim Cameron is any different – he just grabbed the gay issue for PR but continues to vote against our equality.

7. I have just received the following reply from Mr. Helmer:

“Thank you for writing to me again on this issue.  I am grateful to you for sharing your views with me, and I shall bear them in mind.  But I have to tell you that this is not a top priority issue for me.  I have already clarified the blog post which created the interest in the issue, making it clear that I recognise and condemn the fact of discrimination and harassment against some minorities, including homosexuals.  I have spent more time on the question than I intended, and I am not prepared to enter into protracted correspondence about it.
    Best regards.
    Many thanks.  R.”

I think others will agree that there is absolutely NO CONTRITION or REAL APOLOGY in this reply at all.

So, in spite of having had in appalling error pointed out to him, this arrogant Tory continues on with matters which he considers of higher priority.

Take note, anyone inclined to vote Tory, these people’s disregard for us is practically immoveable. They freely talk in public of their disdain for us, but if we object they only cease to air their views so openly in public. In other words, they simply keep their homophobia to themselves.

8. theotherone 13 Aug 2009, 10:30am

and eddie is that diffrent from Labour who wasnte d to force people without children to work unsociable hours? Labour who have said publicaly (not some backbensher but a official spokesperson) that Lesbian’s ‘lifestyles’ are unnatural? Labour that is telling Lesbians that they have to get pregnent or else?

Labour’s our champion is it?

9. theotherone 13 Aug 2009, 10:42am

oh and another reason not to vote Labour: they want to teach Creationism in schools. Evidence? There recently funderd reserch that ‘proved’ Evolution wrong. It would seem that we did not evolve from Monkeys but that we apeared on GODSGREENEARTHALLPRAISEhisNAME(!) with no precedent.

So g(G)od put us here then…

10. Mihangel apYrs 13 Aug 2009, 10:42am

theotherone and others: in LGBTT matters in politics we have to consider the lesser of the two evils in the two main parties and should put this into our voting equation (more or less important than something else).

Otherwise we have to consider voting for the smaller parties. While this may be a good thing, we can still get a bad govt for LGBTT people.

11. I also received the reply:

Thank you for writing to me again on this issue. I am grateful to you for sharing your views with me, and I shall bear them in mind. But I have to tell you that this is not a top priority issue for me. I have already clarified the blog post which created the interest in the issue, making it clear that I recognise and condemn the fact of discrimination and harassment against some minorities, including homosexuals. I have spent more time on the question than I intended, and I am not prepared to enter into protracted correspondence about it.

- He’s making good use of that copy and paste feature, then…

12. Actually, looking at his response, I think it’s from his press office rather than from him.

13. Matt Sephton 13 Aug 2009, 11:17am

The comments of Roger Helmer do NOT represent the views of the Conservatives.

The Conservative Party today is a modern, dynamic, forward-looking Party. We are recruiting and promoting from a diverse range of people, communities and interests. Among the Party and the Shadow Cabinet are Margot James, Vice Chair responsible for women’s issues; Nick Herbert, Shadow Secretary for the Environment and Alan Duncan, Shadow Leader of the House of Commons. Apart from the fact these people are leading Conservatives, they also have one other thing in common. They are gay. The Conservatives are in touch with Britain as it is today.

By ensuring that the Party is run by people, drawn from across society, we can make sure that never again are sections of society marginalised or neglected from what we do.

We supported civil partnership legislation and we backed plans to crack down on homophobic bullying. We also gave strong backing to action on hate crimes in the Criminal Justice Act.

Two years ago, it was a Conservative MEP who launched the written declaration on homophobic bullying in schools to the European Parliament’s Gay and Lesbian Rights Intergroup.

The fact is that there are now more Conservative LGBT councillors and prospective MPs than ever before, David Cameron has been totally supportive of these LGBT candidates and elected officials and this gives great hope for our country and the LGBT community under the new Government that will be formed by June 2010.

14. “The Conservative Party today is a modern, dynamic, forward-looking Party.”

CRAP!

Do you think we gay people suffer from disfunctional memories, or no memories at all? Just a few weeks ago we heard the Tories bleating with pride that for the next election they might just be able to produce one or two more out gay candidates IN THE WHOLE DAMN COUNTRY!

15. Paul Brownsey 13 Aug 2009, 2:02pm

Matt Sephton, How do you explain the fact that the prospective Tory candidate in East Dunbartonshire, Mark Nolan, told me by e-mail this week that he wants to see tax breaks for married couples while denying them to civil partners?

16. “Two years ago, it was a Conservative MEP who launched the written declaration on homophobic bullying in schools to the European Parliament’s Gay and Lesbian Rights Intergroup”

Let’s not be mistaken Matt- John Bowis did indeed ‘launch’ the statement however it was written by IGLYO, ILGA-Europe and the intergroup. John launched it precisely because he was a conservative RARITY in showing support for the issues and the intergroup is chaired by Labour MAP Michael Cashman and vice chaired by liberals (Int’veld/ Stubbs) and socialist (Ruevedo) MEPs from across Europe.

The declaration was launched following a long process from LGBT NGOs inclcuding the launch of the Social Exclusion report (hosted by Cashman). the report highlighted the mental health impacts of scoial exclusion (health being John speciality).

Then there was an attempt at a resolution in the EP.
    It may be educational for you to look at exactly how many tory MEPs signed up to the resolution against homophobic bullying…exactly. Ultimately it didn’t get enough signatories with almost all UK Labour MEPS signing up and despite people like John- minimal conservatives.

Cross party working is important and crucial to advance the rights of LGBT people at home and abroad. John’s confided he did not have much support within the party.

People like John should be applauded, he was invited to go to Latvia for an international LGBT youth conference and he spoke to the media about the importance of acceptance.

But be under no illusion- his views are not the dominant force in the party ESPECIALLY not in Europe. Look at who they sit with, who’s ‘common views’ they share.

I’ve gone into a lot of detail about one small part when in fact there is a lot I could say. I’ve gone into this level of detail because i’ve seem this comment from yourself replicated a lot online, but please understand the context of an event before you bandy it about! If you need any clarification I’m sure you may have guessed who I am ;-)

17. For me- it’s not just about having a few out gay MPs to get the gay vote. It’s about values of equality and breaking down barriers and discrimination facing LGBTQ people. It’s not about the kind of values that voted AGAINST the equality bill in june, the comments that were made in the vote AGAINST allowing lesbians access IVF last year. And thats only in the last year- lets not drag up the past of the conservatives voting against every piece of LGBT friendly legislation!

I wish the tories had changed, it would be a milestone in society- however evidence shows they haven’t Cameron can do the talk but how many MPs wopuld follow his walk?

18. Matt Sephton 13 Aug 2009, 3:26pm

Eddy, there are FAR MORE than ‘one or two’ more out gay candidates in the whole country… Or maybe you meant to include the word ‘dozen’ in your comments?

19. In case any of you have not noticed: All major political parties are not without their own propaganda, problems, and complete nonsense. Perhaps you’d like to criticise your own for a change.

20. Matthew Lincoln 13 Aug 2009, 3:37pm

I think we should be careful before mixing sexuality and politics, and think through the consequences first. Almost all the issues which are specific to sexual preference should be cross-party issues of conscience, just as abortion is thankfully, not a party political issue here as it is in the USA.

I am pro civil partnership, against gay marriage (that’s a religious thing), in favour of measured free speech codoning homosexuality based on relgious convictions, just about persuaded on gay adoption where insufficient heterosexual couples are suitable but against surrogate children for gay couples, and pro tax breaks for married couples with children.

Should those views define how I vote at the next election? I might ask my local candidates what their views are and if I disagree really strongly that might influence my decision. But I don’t plan to ignore the economy, the NHS, schools and their view on Afghanistan. In fact, if they took the opposite view from me on every gay issue above, I will still decide based on the economy – let’s just hope local parties don’t select any old-fashioned bigots so we can vote in the national interest without holding our noses.

21. The Tory LGBT group? Consider this, LGBT Tory Group members, how can you support a party that brought in Section 28, has now aligned itself to the worst of the Far Right in Europe and has NOT repremanded members with such homophobic views? Can you live in your sexuality and still support this Party? Its like the BNP saying they like the Sikhs because they are not Muslims!

22. Jonny Roland 13 Aug 2009, 3:39pm

I think it would benefit everyone here, whatever their political persuasion, if we were all clear about what Roger Helmer said, and not base opinions on one or two out of context phrases:

And while we’re mentioning semantic issues, let me point out that the neologism “homophobia” is not so much a word as a political agenda. In psychiatry, a phobia is defined as an irrational fear. I have yet to meet anyone who has an irrational fear of homosexuals, or of homosexuality. So to the extent that the word has any meaning at all, it describes something which simply does not exist. “Homophobia” is merely a propaganda device designed to denigrate and stigmatise those holding conventional opinions, which have been held by most people through most of recorded history. It is frightening evidence of the way in which political correctness is threatening our freedom. It is creating “thought crimes”, where merely to hold a conventional opinion is seen, in itself, to be unacceptable and reprehensible. I’m sorry, but I don’t buy it.

23. Jonny Roland 13 Aug 2009, 3:47pm

Matt Sephton is absolutely right though. The Conservative Party has changed dramatically, and our record proves this.

The Conservatives did do things such as introduce Section 28. However, David Cameron and the Party has apologised for this and other mistakes.

If you decide you can’t forgive the Conservatives for that, that is your opinion. However, the Party itself has moved on, and is looking at how it can do things better in future. I think many people would be surprised at how accepted being gay is by today’s Conservatives.

24. Matt Sephton 13 Aug 2009, 4:31pm

It’s also interesting that Labour activists seem to think their Party is whiter than white when it comes to LGBT issues. We just have to look to the by-election only last month when Chloe Smith ran to victory for the Conservatives.

As The Times wrote on July 26, “rumours about Smith’s sexuality had been whispered by Labour activists during the campaign. The party’s literature repeatedly pointed out how Chris Ostrowski, its candidate, was married and how he “fell in love” in Norwich.”

25. lithotomist 13 Aug 2009, 5:05pm

If the views of Roger Helmer don’t represent the Conservative Party, how is it that he’s been selected, reselected and prioritised as a Conservative candidate for the Euro Parliament ? Did it all happen in a fit of absence of mind, or did they want a Conservative MEP who didn’t represent Conservative policies ? Don’t give me all this crap and blather, the Tories still have a backbone of bigots who can’t stand us and weak-chinned Cameron won’t do anything to alter that – I know, because I took the trouble to write to his office, and all I got back was soft soap and meaningless, insulting crap claiming that Helmer made his remarks in a personal capacity on a personal website – ignoring the fact that on it, he repeatedly reminds us he’s a Tory MEP, and that once you’re elected to public office, nothing political you say on the internet can be claimed later as private or personal.

26. Justin Hinchcliffe 13 Aug 2009, 5:26pm

Roger Helmer’s views are not shared by Conservative members or supporters. The Conservative Party is a progressive party, but contains hundreds of thousands of members and millions of supporters. Sadly, homophobia, although rare in mainstream politics, does exist in all 3 parties. I expect David Cameron has made his displeasure known and has given him a yellow card.

27. Paul Higginson 13 Aug 2009, 6:00pm

Roger Helmer must be on another planet if he believes homophobia doesn’t exist.He is a disgrace to our Party and David Cameron needs to act at once and reprimand him or suspend him from the Party.If the Labour Party thinks it is free from such opinions,it needs to search it’s soul within the inner city communities and listen to some of the stories surrounding incidents about Lesbians and Gays.

28. Mr Helmer does not speak for the party and the fornt bench have made this clear. The Conservative party has pledged that there will be no reversal on equalities legislation and indeed fears of some archaic right wing revolt on the issue are unfounded and wrong. Even if some MPs (and there are homophobes in all parties, just like there are at grass roots level – go and ask working men’s club members in the NW what they think – bet it isn’t all Labour wish it was) were inclined to complain it would not be accepted or become policy. Of course we made grave, hurtful and offensive mistakes in the past, no excuse and no defence in my view. You cannot tar the current generation with the sins of the past. Most MPs were not privy to the legislation although many have hardly shone in the way they defend it, almost all candidates will have not been part of that process or generation either.

Frankly the Conservative Party has changed, from the top down. You will still find people that use the wrong words and hold views most of us find at best odd, at worse abhorant, but throwinf stones and pretending we are all homophobic pigs is a ridiculous way to play politics.

Gay people are not one of labour’s client groups who should tug their forelock and thank the party for all they do just because they made changes. Of course all credit to them for leading the way and for making sure that the changes in my party were not superficial and were forced at a real pace. But we do not now have to be expected to worship Labour in perpetuity surely? Not when so much else they do hits us like it hits everyone else in sopciety. If gay people are to be truely treated as equal then it is time for anyone to stop asuming we move in a tribe and vote together just because of changes in the law one party enacted. There is much to do in challenging things like homophobic bullying in schools and holding other countries to account on their human rights record. The Tory party has changed, sorry if that is inconvenient and sorry too if some in the shires find it hard to swallow. There is no going back on what has been achieved in this country and no one in any position of real power or influence in the party has ever said differently. We are a broad church and people have differing views – the party’s view is clear – we are supporters of equality and plan no changes to the laws in place as far as i can see from the reports in the press or issued by the press office at the Conservative party.

29. Scott blah dee blah. Deeds, we want deeds my dear. And THAT, the Tory Party lacks a lot. They’re all talk and no deeds. Nothing never zilt. Instead, they are protecting the homophobes in their midst and doing practically nothing to block their advances.

30. Like most Labour policy announcements, this is a rehash of a very old story. Helmer wrote this years ago – long before David Cameron was leader of the party.

He’s a nutter – he’s not represenative of the party or most of its members. In my many years in politics, I have heard many more racist and homophobic comments from Labour supporters than from Tories. Come to our Party Conference and you’ll see just how gay our active membership is. Canal Street is going to be very busy in the first week of October!

And look at the recent polls that show a 12% Tory lead amongst gay voters over Labour and the Lib Dems. Gay voters aren’t going to put up with this Government any more than anyone else wants to, and they know who’s really going to make a difference.

31. Well, the Tories are not going to get my pink vote, that is for sure. A man is judged by his history and the Tory party does not have a good LGBT track record.

32. lithotomist 14 Aug 2009, 9:59am

The Tories on here are being at best cosmetic and at worst telling lies. Gavin F, above, claims Helmer wrote this years ago; a lie. He wrote it on his blog on July 19 2009; you can find it yourself if you Google it.

The Tories here also claim that either Helmer is a nutter or that his views aren’t shared by Tory members or supporters, and that he doesn’t speak for the party. But if that’s the case, let me ask once again a very basic question they have carefully ignored:

Given that only a tiny number of people get to be MEPs, and that they have to go through Party selection processes to even be candidates, how is it that Mr Helmer has been selected, reselected and prioritised as a candidate, if he does not represent Tory Party members and policies ? Did it all happen in a fit of absence of mind, stretching over many years ? Which has to lead to one more question: just how gullible do you Tory apologists think we are ?

33. Dear Abi,

I am writing on behalf of David Cameron to thank you for your recent e-mail, regarding the comments made by Roger Helmer MEP on the issue of homophobia.

First of all, I would like to make it absolutely clear that David Cameron is deeply opposed to homophobia in all its forms. Bigotry and prejudice are completely unacceptable and wrong. There is no place for intolerance in our society, and I am enclosing a copy of the speech David Cameron gave recently at an event celebrating gay pride which explains why we think this is so.

The remarks you refer to in your message were made by Mr. Helmer in an entirely personal capacity, on his personal website, and they are in no way the official position of the Conservative Party. Over the past four years we have worked hard to change the way the Conservative Party thinks about and represents our diverse society. At the next election we shall be fielding many excellent candidates from all backgrounds and from all walks of life. Our focus today is on working to build a stronger, fairer and more responsible society, and making sure that people are treated equally, as part of one nation, is at the heart of that.

I do hope you find this reply reassuring – and thank you, again, for getting in touch.

Yours sincerely,

Anna

Anna Biles
    Correspondence Secretary
    David Cameron’s Office
    House of Commons
    London SW1A 0AA

========================

How is Mr Helmer not representing the conservative party when he is writing about the conservative new grouping in the EU parliament and signs his blog Roger Helmer MEP.

34. theotherone 14 Aug 2009, 11:41am

Mihangel apYrs: do you consider teaching our children Creationism to be the lesser of two evils? Do you consider damning L:esbian lifestyles to be the lesser of two evils? Do you consider the goverment saying that they wish to discriminate against women in teaching to be the lesser of two evils?Do you consider that saying women are happier in the home is the lesser of two evils? What about launching a campaign to encorage women to get pregnent between the ages of 16 anbd 18? Is that the lesser of two evils.

Can you show me ANYWHERE in the oficial pronouncments from the Torys where they have said anything REMOTLY like this? Please show me, please.

35. theotherone 16 Aug 2009, 12:46pm

wow – neither this nor the story about Labour Party Homophobia have receved much comments.

Odd that…

36. Mihangel apYrs 17 Aug 2009, 9:46am

theotherone: what I meant was that that I decide on how to vote by considering a range of issues, and that I don’t actually consider any main party as sound on all of what I consider important. Thus I have to choose the one least distant from my opinions. This may mean that I accept for a time the inequalities that a party may sustain if it is doing something I support more strongly.

At no point in my earlier post did I allude to any party or its politics, merely that one has to choose between imperfect packages.

37. theotherone 17 Aug 2009, 11:31am

so then what is it in Labour that you consider worth suporting? Surely not their recent record on Gay Rights? Surely not that they have now anounced that they want to fine people thousands of pounds if they download one song? Surely not that they wish to allow people to be extrodited to other European countries for crimes that are illegal in those countries but are comited in this country where they are legal? Surely not – as this would land any one of us open to extrodition for what we have said on this board? Surely not as this would allow Clause 28 in through the back door as the promotion of Homosexuality is illegal in Poland? Surely not Labour?

As to not suporting any of the main partys: you’re post was in responce to me posting about the Labour party not about the Lib Dems or the Monster Raving Loonie Party.

38. Voting for Conservatives is simply a vote for a return to the Neo-Nazi like Thatcherite attitudes & practises AGAINST gay people

…nothing has changed

…the homophobic conservative snake is still a snake even if you dress it in a tutu!