Royal College of Psychiatrists asked to come out against gay “cure” therapies

1. “”Much of the pressure for the continuation of these therapies comes from evangelical religious sources, which have a theological objection to homosexuality.

“The American Psychological Association recommends that its members either encourage devout individuals who put their religion before their sexual needs to embrace celibacy, or to change their religious allegiance to another church that is more accepting.The idea that they should be “converted” to heterosexuality is more of a theological demand than a scientific reality.”

What a sensible thing to say, APA. I do wonder if your top fan, Tiggy is reading that….

2. We need to do something about church run counselling centres that fail to tell clients of there religious affiliations. They need to do the same with abortion advice services set up by religious groups.

The dishonest nature of the fake counselling and advice services set up by churches needs addressing.

3. Rev. Debra Haffner 7 Aug 2009, 2:29pm

I do hope that the report advises psychologists to refer such clients to religious leaders who affirm sexual and gender diversity as part of God’s blessings, who can help them explore alternative understandings of seemingly homophobic sacred texts, and to understand that there are religious communities where they would be fully welcome and included. I work with people struggling with these issues all the time, and it often takes only a few sessions with a clergy person for people to feel affirmed and welcome. There have been many times where simply telling someone that I know that God loves them just the way they are…and that there are many denominations and religious leaders who feel that way…helps them reach self-acceptance.

No one should ever have to choose between their sexuality and their religion — or vice versa. I hope the final APA report says that as well.

4. Keep up the pressure APA, another step in the right direction. We are on the road to getting this disgusting ‘ex-gay therapy’ banned once and for all from every corner of the world.
    There is a light at the end of the tunnel of stupidity at last.

5. Brian Burton 7 Aug 2009, 3:15pm

I’m sure John K. will have a good and valid say on this report. I think this is his bag!

6. Then why “Rev” Debra Haffner, do you like your name to a bible site which maintains that “god clearly and unmistakably shows in Romans that those who practice homosexuality and lesbianism are worthy of death.”

This your idea of acceptance by religious types?

7. Rev. Debra Haffner – Will’s totally correct. We’re getting some very mixed messages between your message of inclusion, harmony and tolerance and the site you hotlinked us to.
    The opening paragraph on “what the Bible says about homosexuality” is:
    “To practice homosexuality or lesbianism is an abomination to God. It is detestable to Him. In the Old Testament, the judgment for such behavior was death. Their blood was on their own heads. God clearly and unmistakably warns us in His Word not to do this. It is written:
    Lev 18:22-THOU SHALT NOT LIE WITH MANKIND, AS WITH WOMANKIND: IT IS ABOMINATION.”
    It might help if you read your own links before using them to back up your well intentioned principles… if harmony and dialogue between Christians and the LGBT community was what you were hoping for, that link of yours seriously backfired.

8. @Rev. Debra Haffner.

Nice try . . . appear gay friendly . . . then attach your name to a Fundamentalist site which refers to “Homosexuality as a Sin”

Explain your self or . . . P**s Off

9. Don’t worry, Will and flapjack. I note that quote is backed up with quotes from Leviticus, and dear old Tighlathpileser assured us we can ignore that ;)

Seriously, that site is frightening – the obsession with Armageddon and ‘the end days’ and ‘rapture’. How about living a good life in this one?

10. A.P.A. …..?

Are you there, my luvs…?

A certain:-

Jozef Ratzinger,
    St.Peter’s,
    Citta del Vaticano,
    Italy.

……………………..would like to hear from you.

Where exactly were you when I needed you, in June 1959…?

And at #3, Debra Haffner, your comment is lovely and I wish to demean it in no way; you are probably a very caring person and supportive of very vulnerable people.

But I know that God loves me and I love Him, in my own cock-a-mamie way, and I don’t need any religion, any minister, any book, any ceremony, any weird incantations; any defunct languages.

I need no clap-trappery, knick-knackery; no beads, icons, times of day, numbers of times of day; I don’t need to face east or west to pray or north or south…none of it.

Nor do I need a ‘place’ to pray….don’t need to ‘go’ anywhere.

I don’t need lace or silk; I don’t need special clothes for this day or that day; I don’t need a different colour if it’s a Tuesday and another for a Friday to pray; nor a third for a Saturday.

I don’t need to abstain from this meat or that meat or wear a silken, embroidered, pointy hat and all the colours of the rainbow and then some; I don’t need to wear a BIG black hat, – which so definitely does not go with my teenaged boy’s face – and, were I straight and were I to have a woman in tow, I’d not need to demand that she cover her face so totally – with only a slit so that she can see where she is going.
    To praise my God, I would not need to so demean my woman. Nor would I need my woman to wear flat ‘sensible’ shoes, dark nylons and at only 23, look like a spinster frump of 50….yet pushing 6 kids in 2 triple buggies, worn out before her time because her hubby has a huge black hat on his head, curly ringlets and a prayer shawl but refuses to wear a “hat” in bed….for God..

Religion is for morons.

I am 70 and without religion at the end of my life, AND in direct contra-distinction to the mustard-tie-wearing, KENNETH GUNN, I have never been happier in my life, never mind “sad”; much happier than when I was a kid and stuffed to the roots of my hair with ree-lidge-eeonnn, rubrics and RUBBISH….and the bletherings of nuns and priests.

I am happier now than I have ever been because I have survived; I survived my religion.

I have survived the Roman Catholic Church.

I have come through that dark tunnel, that ‘konzentrationslager’ of a religion – and come out smiling; smiling because I know who I am, what I am, and ACCEPT it all from the One who made me.

I am able to pull my pants down to that religion’s lace-bedecked gestapo and say ‘KISS IT!’….and that has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the current incumbent of the papal throne is German; it would be the same guff if he were from darkest Afica and spoke Swahili.

I took on that religion and ckuffing well won by simply walking away!

Being enslaved to religion is all in the mind; you can simply WALK AWAY; difficult; but it can be done; it might take 50 years – but it CAN BE DONE.
    And Ratzinger and all his cardinals, bishops and priests can go and suck juckles coreys….ask a Romany gypsy what that means.

Religion?
    Phooey…!

DON’T NEEEEEEEED IT…!!!!!

Don’t want it!

Won’t have ANY of it…!

Keith.
    SALFORD

11. mmmm…..?

I didn’t look at Rev. Debra’s hot-link didn’t realise what the other commentators realised.

That’s because I only speed-read DEBRA’s comment.

If it has the title ‘Rev…’ in front of it, I automatically do not go any further.

I want to hear nothing from ANY ‘Rev..’

If it has ‘Rev…’ in front of it, it might as well be a red light at a crossroads.

Keith.
    SALFORD

12. I don’t hummmm Schubert’s “Ave Maria..” any more, either.

I prefer GLORIA GAYNOR’s…”I WILL SURVIVE..”

‘Once I was afraid, I was petrified….!”

Sing it all day ckuffin’ longgggg…!
    K

13. Brian Burton 7 Aug 2009, 9:24pm

Rev. debra Heffna,
    I’ve checked out your Fundy Site. We don’t want you here so get lost.

14. Brian Burton 8 Aug 2009, 7:48am

Dear Keith is back…..Alive and Kicking lovley Boy!

15. Rick George 8 Aug 2009, 3:03pm

Why not have a register for phychiatrists, counsellors ect like we do for doctors and nurses. Anyone involved in counselling or psychological therapy of any kind cannot practice without being on this register and can be struck off for malpractice. Legislate that malpractice includes the stuff of ex gay therapy and that such carries a total ban from practice or licence to practice for life. What about something along those lines?

16. #15

Do you remember Max Bygraves, Rich..with Archie Andrews…?

Max’s catchphrase was, in thick Cockney, “A good oideea san..!”
    (A good idea, son!”

Well so is yours; a very good idea…

And while we are at it the closure of all Catholic Churches.

It’s no good making the professions, as you describe, having to jump through hoops when you have that organisation, the RCC, able to spout its ridiculous nonsense without fear of prosecution…as we speak…
    Keith.

17. @Debra
    Whats with the link?
    Scofield Reference Bible stuff indeed! Grow up…:(

18. I’m a bit surprised the UK psych.body hasn’t advised their members in this articles accordingly already.

19. PEOPLE WHO USE RELIGIOUS TERRORISM, WHICH IS REALLY BASED ON HATRED IN THE NAME OF GOD, SHOULD BE CATEGORIZED AS SUFFERING A SEVERE MENTAL DISORDER.

THIS INCLUDES THE REAL CONSERVATIVES EG THE CURRENT POPE WHO IS DESTROYING THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, THE ORTHODOX JEWS WHO SAID “GAYS WERE LIKE BIRD FLU” LAST JANUARY, LICENSING THE MADMAN WHO KILLED 2 OR 3 AND WOUNDED ABOUT 10 AT A GAY ORGANIZATION FOR GAY YOUTH IN ISRAEL. AND THE RIGHT WING ULTRA-CHRISTIANS WHO TALK ABOUT THEIR LOVE FOR GAYS – IF YOU SUBMIT TO THEIR BS. IN AMERICA THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO GAVE US SLAVERY AND SEGREGATION IN THE NAME OF GOD.

THESE PEOPLE HAVE ONLY TWO THINGS IN COMMON – ALWAYS HAVING TO HATE AND DEGRADE SOMEONE IN THE “NAME OF GOD”. AND THE ABILITY, HONED OVER 1500 YEARS, OF TERRORIZING ON ONE SIDE, AND OFFERING THEIR LIFE AFTER DEATH STORY TO CAPTURE TERRIFIED MINDS.

AND THEY HAVE BEEN PART AND PARCEL OF NEARLY EVERY WESTERN WAR / ATTROCITY, INCLUDING CREATING THE HATRED OF JESUS OWN PEOPLE, THE JEWS. A HATRED WHICH ANOTHER MADMAN – HITLER – LEVERAGED TO GAIN CONTROL OF GERMANY AND MURDER 50 MILLION PEOPLE.

(ps – just in case you are wondering my whole family is Jewish, and our Rabbi thinks the Ultra orthodox Jews are out of their head, and says so in the temple.

20. Bishop Ioan 10 Aug 2009, 8:08am

It would do a world of good if the Royal College of Psychiatrista would come out against gay “cure” therapies. However I hope that they don’t throw a bone to the homophobes as the American Psychological Association has done in accepting celibacy as an acceptable way of dealing with unwanted same-sex attraction. “Gay cure” therapy does not work and celibacy is not natural for most human beings. Hopefully the RCP has more sense than the APA.

21. Alex, Brisbane, Australia 11 Aug 2009, 9:21am

Really, Deb, it’s like saying that my left-handedness is curable.