Peter Tatchell calls for a Cornwall parliament

1. Peter Tatchell provides food for thought:

The benefits: England would do much better in the Eurovision song contest, with likely high scores from Cornwall, Wales, Scotland.

The negative: We would never get the Tories out of office, ever.

2. Gordon Patten 7 Aug 2009, 2:29pm

Having lived in Cornwall (St Ives) and then living in an Urban area (Nottingham) then moving up to Cumbria (which is much like Cornwall) – I can safely say that this is not new. To those people who are in the know and true cornish people they have been campaigning for years. I wish Peter and all campaigners the best of luck and offer my support.

3. Brian Burton 7 Aug 2009, 2:34pm

This ‘SELF RULE’ for Cornwall is a very, very old, very worn, and very boring Chesnut. A house devided of itself cannot stand. Next would be my county Hampshire and then all the Shires Then fragment, fragment……What a bore, Piss off Pete!

4. Agreed, Brian! Divide, divide, fragment, fragment. It’s all divisive. Take it to the extreme and there’ll be suburb-nations next! “Vauxhall declares itself gay state!”

5. While I wish every luck to the Cornish campaign, I can’t help but feel it a) has never really been thought through and b)comparing it to the struggle for LGBT (The LBTs exist too Peter!) right is rediculous! The two are nothing alike, save that Peter Tachell is involved in both.

6. Not sure what more they would need for local decision making above Cornwall County Council.

7. Re-establish the Kingdom of Mercia! Put that dyke(!?) back in place! Throw out everyone except the Anglo Saxons(!) (sorry friday afternoon faked facism; I’ll be alright afrer a drink!)

8. Brian :( Cornwall is not just another county of England. Have a look at the history. Cornwall has just as much right to recognition as Wales. Indeed, at one point in history Cornwall was actually referred to as ‘West Wales’. The Cornish and Welsh languages share a common ancestor and have many words in common. (I studied a bit of Celtic history out of interest after I left school.)

hXXp://www.celticleague.net/branches/kernow2.html

Maybe you’re not a Peter fan? I don’t agree with everything he says, and I think he only mentioned this to show recognition that he was in Cornwall, but I think he’s a brave man.

9. Brian said: “This ‘SELF RULE’ for Cornwall is a very, very old, very worn, and very boring Chesnut”

hXXp://www.celticleague.net/branches/kernow2.html

10. Brian Burton 7 Aug 2009, 5:52pm

Iris, Very Valid points, but, I agree to disagree. I too admire Peter Tatchell.

11. Fair enough, Brian :) Glad you admire PT too. He might not always be right, but he’s got courage.

12. Maybe not the Scottish Parliament, but it should certainly have at least the degree of self rule that Wales does (not a lot, but more than, for example, Cornwall).
    I’m a child of the Roses and all in favour of the reunification and independance of my home county of Yorkshire. The other half of me just wants to get rid of Yorkshire.
    And even I don’t know which are the ironic parts of those sentences; it may be none at all.

13. Tatchell is henceforth a laughing stock.

I hear a drove of pig farmers in Surrey demand independence.

Just like gay rights, DON’T YOU SEE IT?!

14. Brian Burton 8 Aug 2009, 7:45am

Iris,
    I remember Peter Tatchell from the days when he Edited a publication called ‘Gay News.’ I was in the days of a certain Mary whitehouse. She was a very prominent ‘Clean Up’ campagner and a very dangerous opponent to tangle with. Peter Tatchell ended up facing the High Court on charges of ‘Blastphemy’ (Now Repealed) He was found Guilty and stayed out of Jail by the skin of his teeth. Mary Whitehoue who brought the Prosicution was Cock-A-Hoop as they say! Peter Tatchell was ruined by the case, lost Gay News and as you see today, he became the Gay-Rights campagner he is now. You can’t keep a good man down!

15. Cornwall is a boring old chestnut to some, but for others it is quite different. Cornwall has just become a unitary authority, but is it a duchy? If it is a duchy council, then it is the “stannary parliament” that many want. However, Charles and Westminster want both the cake and to eat it, since many of the monetery benefits taken from Cornwall by the duchy remain in place (despite Cornwall having 51 out of the 56 deprived areas of Devon and Cornwall, and having “objective 1″ status due to the relative poverty due to over exploitation by this same duchy) yet governance is centralised in Westminster. All constitutional questions on Cornwall are “in abeyance” due precisely to this paradox. Since Cornwall is a duchy, but isn’t.

No, boring old chestnut it certainly is not!

16. theotherone 8 Aug 2009, 12:12pm

bugger (pardon the pun) a Cornish Parlament (and why not?) we need a fvck1ng election!

17. Brian Burton 8 Aug 2009, 2:17pm

Matt B,
    I was only refering to the Independence Chetnut that has been roasting on the fires of Time since I was a Boy, many moons ago. Nothing personal to do with Cornwall (the boring bit) it’s just that this ‘Kindom Of Cornwall’ people talk of, and what I have read. All I am saying is, if any change is due then it should have already happened!

18. Brian Burton 8 Aug 2009, 5:51pm

There must have been some kind of vision on Gay Rights dawning on Peter Tatchell as he faced the juditary on the deadful day of his trial for Blasyphemy. He’s taken life by the scruff of the neck and forged his mark on it in a two fingerd gesture of defiance. His cup can hold so much and no more though. A Martyr in his shirt of flame, could aptley describe Peter. He is seeing great events and wants to be on the same level as they are. What will happen to Peter eventually? The gift of prophecy is given to all those who do not know what is going to happen to themselves. Peter Tatchell is Loved and hated I do not think he runs to his ruin yet, but who knows anyway?

19. It’s a perfectly sensible idea. There’s no reason why distinct areas of the UK shouldn’t form autonomous or independent regions. The Union is outdated and pointless, while Westminster has consistently shown itself to be corrupt and distant. Creating new centres of power would bring politics closer to the people and encourage greater participation in the democratic process.

20. What a c*nt. Hasn’t this man got anything better to do?
    How about he fuck off back to Oz and stop telling us how to run our fucking country.

21. @ RobN we’ve come to expect the S*%^ that comes from your head – OUR country what exactly do you mean OUR country?