Homophobic SNP councillor faces investigation

1. “We’ve got so-called gays, who are really very sad people, and we have non-believers and heathens running the country and running down Christianity” I thought Gordon Brown was a Prespetyrian? OH! He means the Arch Cardinal Gay Lord Mandelson of course!

2. Simon Murphy 7 Aug 2009, 11:42am

Gunn is using the ‘misquoted and taken out of context’lie now.

I got a mail from the SNP’s Corporate Governance and Complianc manager Ian Mc Cann which reads as follows:

from Ian McCann
    Your email regarding the comments of Cllr Gunn has been passed to me.

Cllr Gunn was contacted by our National Secretary as soon as his comments were brought to the Party’s intention. He has since explained that his comments were aimed at the artists behind the exhibition in Glasgow, and were not meant in a general sense. He has issued the following statement:

As a Christian I was upset by the content of the art exhibition being discussed in last weeks phone in and wished to express my views on that as an individual. In doing so I said things which I regret. As a Christian I believe that we should all work together for a better society in which acceptance, mutual respect and understanding are key – regardless of belief or sexuality. I understand the offence my statements have caused and apologise for that.

The SNP has its own disciplinary code, and any complaint received under those terms will be dealt with using due process.”

I hope that is of some help.

Yours sincerely

Ian McCann

Corporate Governance and Compliance Manager

3. I’d hope his excuse won’t work, Simon. “so-called gays” is an offensive and saying that he meant the artists won’t wash because if that was the case he’d used their names or made some allusion to the fact he was talking about only them. In my opinion he got carried away and allowed his anger to get the better of his judgement by spewing forth prejudice and hate which he now realises might get him in trouble.

4. *’offensive term’ (sorry)

5. I’ve just phoned the SNP Headquarters in Edinburgh to complain and was told to contact Ian McCann. I’m originally from Perth, Scotland and there is a sitting SNP MP so am going to write to them expressing my dissatisfaction.

RJB

6. The C*nt of Monte Crisco 7 Aug 2009, 12:19pm

I hope this wanker gets his comeuppance!

7. Dave North 7 Aug 2009, 2:08pm

As a sad homosexual and non-believer, I certainly look like I’m in for a bad time.

Pray tell, how can a NON-BELIEVER, be damned to a hell that they don’t believe in.

Such is the arrogance of these Religio types.

8. Well – don’t forget this Cllr thinks he is en route for “heaven” – imagine spending an eternity with him and his like?

Would be pure “hell”!

9. It is unfortunate that people such as Mr Gunn, a professed Christian, do so much harm for the Christian church by issuint statements such as this. Not only is the man a disgrace to the Scottish National Party, but he is a disgrace to the whole Christian Church, which, in spite of many reports to the contrary, is more accepting of a Gay lifestyle than one would think or is reported nationally.

10. Since the SNP won’t do anything about this homophobe, maybe the complaint to Borders Council by constituents of this bigot will do some good. I really hope all gay Scots who have been following this story think hard before voting for the SNP in future. As a political party, they are not firends of the LGBT community.

11. That comment above should have said “friends”!

12. I contacted SNP headquarters and haven’t received a reply yet, I got an automated reponse saying they are “on holiday”.

The excuse posted above however is outrageous. He was not taken out of context or referring to the artists, I actually listened to the entire show/debate online after reading about it. There was another Christian woman in the debate who you may not agree with but she did not stoop to this man’s level. He is apologising now because he has been forced to. I do not believe for one second he is remorseful. He only regrets having the comments recorded and aired publicly for everyone to see what a mean-spirited, bigoted, stone-age idiot he is.

This man MUST be removed from the SNP if they want to have any credibility left amongst the gay community. They are already on thin ice because of their relationship with arch-homophobe Brian Souter, and their alliance/funding of muslim groups who are opposed to homosexuality. If no action is taken with this bigot then it will be the last straw.

I suggest everyone takes the time to e-mail the SNP about it, it will only take a few minutes but if they get enough they will soon realise we are not going to let this be brushed under the carpet.

13. Its great people are making formal complaints – the sad thing is nothing will happen to this homophobe – had he made the same remarks about black people or asians or the Jewish faith he would be out of office within days – gay people do not have equality and its not right – keep complaining everyone

Lee

14. I’ve looked at his constituency website for key words like gay and out of 100 pages on there website they only have one word relating to something they should be doing on hate crime in 2007 and that’s it!!!
    Here check it out for your self: gay site:brs-snp.org

However if you enter the key words "Black" or "Ethnic"you will also see they are RACIST aswell!!!!!!!!!!

15. I wrote to the Councillor to express my disgust at his comments – no response. So I too have lobbed one into Scottish Borders. If the council is serious about attracting investment, tourism and talent to the region then it needs to get with the economic power of diversity. Mr Gunn is entitled to his personal opinions but when he acts out in his public persona of Councillor then he needs to understand that words have consequences. It’s great that so many folk have stepped up to complain, I hope others join us. These constant attempts by misguided politicians to de-humanise us, as in his assertion that we are incapable of “joy”, are a convenient ploy to portray as second class citizens, something less worthy then others.

16. Not only is he speaking out regarding his own personal views, he’s also speaking on behalf of the SNP as the chair of the local constituency.

RJ

17. If he regrets saying what he said – why did he say it in the first place.
    Sit down Mr Gunn, shut up, and eat your cornflakes then go and do some gardening and keep out of things about which you know nothing.

18. Under whatever context what this idiot said was wrong.

Kick him out.

19. Please everyone complain. This guy can’t be allowed to continue as a councillor.

20. Complain now 7 Aug 2009, 7:19pm

Gay SNP MSPs are angry that Clr Gunn made that outburst and assure me that Clr Gunn IS going to be dealt with by the Party Leadership.

Also, personally spoke with Angus Robertson MP who confirmed Mr Gunn is facing disciplinary action.

21. Complain now (No.20) – It’s good that this councillor will be disciplined. But I’d be interestd to know what the gay SNP MSPs/MEPs/MPs etc. think about the party’s homophobia in general – taking money from a homophobe, Fiona Hyslop helping the catholic adoption agency turn away gay people, Roseanna Cunningham trying to stop gay couples from adopting, Fergus Ewing supporting the fire-fighters who refused to go to Gay Pride. This Selkirk councillor was by no means an isolated incident.

22. Joe Montanez 7 Aug 2009, 7:48pm

Good for you! I aggree with you. I think that this guy has the right to voice his opinion just like the gay community has that right.
    If he has Christian beliefs then why can’t he voice them?
    I don’t think that he is a homo-phobe, because phobias have to due with being afraid of something. He just feels that homosexuality is not right, just as the whole world has thought this for thousands of years.
    Homosexuality, Islam and other things are being shoved down our throats and if we say that we disagree we are then labled Islamophobes and homophobes. We are then persecuted for our God given right to disagree. But the gay community can do/say whatever they want against Christianity and “it’s ok”. The Muslims can kill Christians and burn down their churches and “it’s ok.
    BULL__it!!

23. “just as the whole world has thought this for thousands of years.”

Oh, yes, that stupid argument, Mr. Montanez. Lets have a look at that argument, shall we?

By the same logic, should we start thinking that the earth is flat, simply because it was for thousands of years? Or perhaps we should start keeping slaves again, simply because it was for thousands of years? Maybe you should give up your car for a donkey as a mode of transport, simply because it was for thousands of years? And that computer you’re using, around for thousands of years, was it?

You make an argument that such homophobic intolerance should be acceptable “simply because it was that way for thousands of years”, is essentially saying that no progress should be made. Its a fools argument, and one which often made my homophobes. The definition of “phobia” (as in homophobia), by the way, isn’t “to be afraid of something”, it is an IRRATIONAL fear, or discrimination based on irrational ideas. You, my dumb friend, meet the definition perfectly.

Well done.

24. Har Davids 7 Aug 2009, 9:34pm

Well, better be gay and able to enjoy life, than suffer from foot in mouth disease, which seems to be quite common in religious circles.

25. Excellent post again Will.

I also e-mailed Alex Salmond’s office about this but was told the email would be forwarded to SNP HQ as it wasn’t a constituency matter.

This man is utterly vile. He has not helped the “Christian cause”, simply given it a bad name. I know many churchgoers who are kind and well-meaning people, but this man came across as nasty, mean-spirited and deluded. He is an absolute arse and every day that passes without him being expelled from his party and as a councillor is an outrage. Again, I urge everyone to bombard the SNP with complaints until this is dealt with. DON’T let it be brushed under the carpet – I am disgusted with this man and the SNP’s inaction so far.

26. Simon Murphy 8 Aug 2009, 3:56am

Please, please do not respond to that Montanez freak. Ignore him

27. Simon Murphy 8 Aug 2009, 3:57am

Do not respond to Joe Montanez.

Please

28. Auntie Jack 8 Aug 2009, 7:51am

Will (23) said,

“The definition of “phobia” (as in homophobia), by the way, isn’t “to be afraid of something”, it is an IRRATIONAL fear, or discrimination based on irrational ideas. You, my dumb friend, meet the definition perfectly.
    Well done.
    Now, run back to your mud hut and you can slaughter a chicken to your god to the sun will rise tomorrow…. isn’t that the way it was for thousands of years?”

I would like to correct this statement .

The definition of “phobia” ( as in heterophobia and Christianophobia ), by the way, isn’t “ to be afraid of something” its an IRRATIONAL fear, discrimination against the idea that marriage should only be between a man and woman; it is in fact a HATRED against the truth, reason, the family and all that is pure and holy,.

If I may say, you, Will, all wind and trousers, meet the definition of a perfect heterorphobic RACIST. Condemned by your own words.

29. Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham 8 Aug 2009, 11:45am

Auntie Jack:

Homophobia 101:

An irrational fear or intolerance of homosexuality, or behaviour that is perceived to uphold and support traditional gender role expectations.

The prevalent assumption in Western society is that heterosexuality is the only acceptable sexual orientation.

In sport, homophobia is expressed in ways ranging from telling jokes directed against homosexual activity, through harassment to physical violence against homosexual sportspeople.

30. Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham 8 Aug 2009, 11:50am

Auntie Jack:

Homophobia 101, con’d:

Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
    Behavior based on such a feeling.

31. Oh, Auntie Jack, how silly of you! I don’t have an “irrational” fear of christianity. Christianity is fine, I have no issue with it, it has a good message to those who listen and understand it (not including you, your a hateful small person with delusions of grandeur)…. my disdain if for people like YOU. And its not fear, and I assure you. So my disgust at your bile and appalling stupidity is quite rational indeed.

And how marvellously flattering to use my own post to get your silly point across! Brava! Imitation is the highest form of flattery, and you could do a lot worse that imitate me… doubt your IQ is up to it though, but your god loves a trier apparently.

32. Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham 8 Aug 2009, 12:01pm

Autie Jack:

Homophobia 201:

Homophobia is an irrational fear and hatred for homosexuality and gay and lesbian people in general.

It occasionally disappears when they discover that a close family relative is gay, but not always.

One of the problems is that a ‘phobia’ is a fear, but ‘homophobia’ is generally understood as a hate. So supposing we do define it as a fear, then what do we have?

People who are afraid of gay people (consequential questions: afraid of becoming gay or being gay? afraid of gay people? afraid of associating with gay people or being associated with gay people?…); and

Gay people who are afraid of being gay (or ashamed of it), or afraid of the consequences (real or imagined) of admitting to being gay, or afraid of the real or perceived implications of being gay, fear of disappointing loved ones (this is a really big part — and on one level you could say it’s self-inflicted)

Don’t you think both parts of this ‘fear’ definition are really important?

Then, if we think about the ‘gay hate’ definition, there are some difficult questions here.

There are very obvious parts – being beaten-up because of being gay or being perceived as gay (heterosexuals can also suffer homophobic bullying), or being ostracised (often by people in the name of their religion).

But there are also things that are said, that to one person may be classed as ‘homophobia’ and to another one could be taken as a compliment.

Some illustrations:

“You’re gay!” – My reaction is sincere happiness

“I’m glad you noticed”. Some people’s reaction is that it’s homophobia.

“It’s so gay!” – My honest reaction “hum, is it? Then I’ll try to live up to the stereotype :)

” But it’s certainly stereotyping (which is not unique to any state of being at all). Some people would call it a form of homophobia. It’s certainly often a non-malicious remark said as playground banter: perhaps ill-considered and even wrong, but anyway said with no hate-intent.

“You’re a queer!” – My genuine feeling is pride: “I am queer, queer I am, lucky boy am I.” I would feel so even if it was said with malice.

So we have words which are sent with homophobic intent that may or may not be received as homophobic bullying; and we have words which could be logically statements of fact which may be received as homophobic bullying; and we have ill-considered statements of no homophobic intent whatsoever that may be received as homophobic bullying.

Of course, we can say things like “intention is important” and “how they are received may depend on whether someone is comfortable with their sexuality”, but it’s been seen that people are being disciplined in schools as homophobic bullies for saying “That’s so gay!”. (That is as bad as allowing homophobic bullying.)

OK, do you see? Whatever point of view you personally have about what constitutes homophobia and what doesn’t, you can see that it’s quite difficult to arrive at a consensus. Without understanding (maybe reaching a consensus about) what is homophobia, it’s quite difficult deal with it in the right way.

33. Auntie Jack – where the hell do you get the idea that gay people are anti-family? Does it ever occur to you that all of us are from families, that most of us still have them and that our idea of a good time is not breaking up someone else’s family?
    What you mean is simply because we have the temerity not to procreate our brains out, or because some of us might want to adopt, we’re bringing about the end of the family unit as you know it. That’s frankly bollocks.
    You can have all the family you want, I won’t stop that. I’m not about to sterilise everyone who doesn’t share my lifestyle. I couldn’t make everyone gay if I wanted too, and I don’t.
    This is just the kind of alarmist paranoia I’d expect from a homophobe.
    We still need families, if your family should collapse because there are so many gay people out there, don’t blame us… that’s a pathetic attempt to shift personal responsibility for your own domestic arrangements! Your relationship is your business, my relationship is mine. Stop poking your nose in where it doesn’t belong.
    As for what’s holy and what’s not, that’s as subjective an assertion as it gets. If you think you have the sole right to call yours the “one true religion”, you need to get out more.

34. Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham 8 Aug 2009, 1:27pm

Auntie Jackie dear:

How many fundamentalists does it take to change a light bulb?

Who cares? They’re in the dark if they change the bulb or not,

35. Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham 8 Aug 2009, 1:40pm

raeding the Bible 101: Hilarious.

36. Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham 8 Aug 2009, 1:44pm

Oops. Try this:

www dot youtube dotcom/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

37. Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham 9 Aug 2009, 5:05am

Auntie Jackie:

Don’t say I never told you so but:

“War doesn’t determine who is right. War determines who is left.”

“Wife who put husband in doghouse soon find him in cathouse”

“It take many nails to build crib but one screw to fill it”

“Man who drive like hell bound to get there”

“Man who fishes in other man’s well often catches crabs”

“Man who masturbate into cash register soon come into money”

“Man who drop watch in toilet have shitty time”

“Man trapped in pantry have ass in jam”

“Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night”

“Man who stand on toilet is high on pot”

Ain’t this fun! Not feeling like a sad homosexual, are you?? Ha ha.

38. AdrianT:- “where the hell do you get the idea that gay people are anti-family?”

Yeah, this always astounded me. We all have families. I’m all for mine, in fact, apart from being good people, they’re a right laugh to be around. Stupid comment to make, isn’t it?

As they have nothing solid but a few scraps of mumbo jumbo from the bible as a weapon, its one of those lies they like to perpetuate to make them feel that one bit better about their toxicity towards innocent gay people…. and forget how bloody unchristian they actually are in their rotten cores.

39. To Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham, perhaps you could stop for a moment with the silly posts. While the are somewhat amusing for all in 5 minutes, you’re getting carried away, ruining the thread with long winded streams of consciousness, when you could be spending your time better demeaning these religious fruits like AdrianT does.

Oh, and Will, I do so like your comment re: their lies and how they ‘forget how bloody unchristian they actually are in their rotten cores’. Nicely put.

40. Will – glad we’re on the same page on everything except my moniker.
    I’m the one they call Flapjack, not Adrian T (though I am flattered by your error, he’s usually a lot more lucid than I am!)
    I think Auntie Jack has a private member’s club attitude to the notion of family, i.e. “if people I don’t approve of start having them, my family is tarnished by association”.
    Well sorry to bust his bubble, but he’s reduced the concept of family to two individuals having the right combination of sex organs to start one. That’s hardly a very exclusive club as it stands, even within wedlock.
    What are you going to do about it, start demanding that straight couples who wouldn’t make fit parents not do the horizontal mambo?

41. Bill (Scotland) 10 Aug 2009, 12:59am

Anthony B is unfortunately correct in pointing out that this lowly local councillor is not the sole example of homophobia in the SNP and that many of the other miscreants are considerably more senior in the Party than this dolt. Whilst I am no supporter of the SNP (its central policy is one with which I disagree profoundly) it is also pertinent to remember that it is not only the SNP that harbours homophobes in its midst – obviously the Convervatives (of which I remain a lapsed member so far – i.e. I resigned some years ago over precisely this issue and have yet to rejoin because of continuing doubts that it has really changed), but examples can be found in most of the other reasonably mainstream political parties.

42. Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham 10 Aug 2009, 4:15am

Tony (39):

Touché! And thanks for being such a gentleman about it.

I do get carried away. I don’t have any excuses…except to say that I believe a bit of comic relief helps everyone of us put things in perspective in the heat of the debate.

I will tone down because we are a team with a common enemy, and my intention is not to annoy any of you, trust me. Thanks again, and please feel free to make any comment you like about my ‘Miss Demeanors’. Ha ha.

By the way, it’s simply not in me to be someone else. e.g. Adrian, Will, John K, etc. I’m just me. No offense.

43. Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham 10 Aug 2009, 4:39am

Bill (Scotland):

I also am a big fan of AnthonyB.

But frankly, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to meet an escapee from Romm 101. Ha ha.

There’s no reason why you cannot posting here from time to time from Spain, is there? We need to know more about Scotland.

44. ?? I don’t recall posting on here, yet I am being mentoined all over the place. Don’t bring me into all this! :-)

Waste of time feeding trolls. Time they were banned in fact, especially ones who blindly cut and paste off Conservapedia.

45. Sorry, flapjack! My apologies. That’s what I get for fast scrolling! Both of you normally have such excellent posts, I get confused who is who! :)

But you’re right, of course:- By that same logic, straight couples that marry, who chose not to have kids, are also apparently anti-family.

These religious “people” just don’t make the effort to think these things through, do they?

46. Bill (Scotland) 10 Aug 2009, 9:29am

@ Jean-Paul a.k.a. Bentham

I blog as usual when I am in Spain (have broadband there too), often about Scotland, just as I blog about Spain when I’m in Scotland, usually in my other blog dedicated to Spain, but occasionally in my ‘main’ blog. The tag at the top of both blogs changes to show where I am currently blogging from. The derivation of my ‘escapee from room 101‘ tag is explained in my ‘About me’ page – it’s hard fact, actually. However I rarely post comments here; that’s not likely to change.

Best :)
    Bill

47. Bill:

A nighthawk. I couldn’t post on your blog; don’t know why. I will check in from time to time. Great to meet you.

48. Bill (Scotland) 10 Aug 2009, 12:53pm

Hi Jean-Paul

Nice to hear from you again. Sorry you couldn’t add a comment in my blog. To keep out complete ‘wackos’ I don’t allow anonymous comments – you need either a Google profile or an ‘OpenID’ profile; for myself I use ‘TypeKey’ for this purpose when trying to comment on blogs that have similar comment restrictions to my own.

Neither registration system invloves revealing any real information about yourself, although I know that some people are ‘paranoid’ on the internet. Hope you’re not up all night over there in Canada! ;)

Salut!
    Bill

49. Salut Bill,

Since I’ve retired (last march), I like to stay up all night. In fact, I love it.

I guess I must have my kidneys where my brains should be: never could figure out how to keep wackos at bay.

Love the rainbow from your view window. We have rainbows in eastern Canada too. Check it out : www dot cma2009 dot ca. It’s festival time in Acadia!

Happy trails,

50. Mentalist Christians ultimately want to be able to discriminate against gays on the grounds of their beliefs. Some of them hide it better than others but the intention is there. It concerns me to think that some one who thinks I am very sad, could also have my best interests at heart.

51. Eagle Ashcroft 12 Aug 2009, 1:32am

This old Scottish queen Ian Gunn is of course talking about him (her?)self telling gay people are sad as she is more than likely as not sad she can’t get a man so she tells the world gay people are sad and non-believers are going to hell because the old nanny is in hell herself and any of her supporters speaking out on her behalf on Pink News more than likely as not are in the same boat. My suggestion is for her and them (her has-been closet queens)is to start then own little club and call it the “Lonely Old Closet Queens Club and post it on the net and perhaps some lonely old johns will make contact with them and they won’t be lonely any longer. As for the non-believers going to hell I rather doubt even one lonely atheist will be found there since they don’t believe in the gosh durn place.

52. People who believe in imaginary friends who can see everything, know everything and do everything and will punish you if you don’t do what they say are called “Paranoid Schizophrenics” in the DSL of any edition.