US student ‘forced’ into ex-gay therapy

1. Simon Murphy 16 Jul 2009, 11:57am

His parents are hateful, evil monsters for sure but it is inaccurate to say he was ‘forced’ into gay ‘cure’ therapy. He was able to get in touch with his boyfriend so why didn’t he go to his place or ask for help to move away from his evil parents. He is 23 and while I have much sympathy for his situation with regard to his abusive family, a 23 year old is an adult. I think this may be a PR exercise to highlight the lunacy of the ex-gay movement

2. Brian Burton 16 Jul 2009, 12:00pm

What a loopy decision for this young Guy to endure by idiot Parents! And no-matter what they do, he will be Gay to-day, tomorrow, next week, next year. In five years, in ten years. Untill he wakes up one day when he’s old and grey and says: Thank goodness I’m cured of idiot Parents!

3. My God, this reads like a horror book. It is one of those things that makes you zone out of reality for a bit.

I know these things were happening in Europe years back, but does anyone know if this is still going on here?

4. I agree ex-gay lunacy rears its ugly head once again

Even more disturbing is how the BBC gave the UK exgay movement Sunday morning view time a few weeks ago on its “Big questions” programme.

5. I’d love to know what it is about people, human beings, that we generally deplore homosexuality. In my experience, even most gay men have a certain inbuilt self-hatred.

What is the problem? Is it Darwinian? Does it go against some subliminal human purpose of procreation? Why is it that society tries to prove that homosexuals are just ‘wrong’ and need correction? This appears to occur regardless of religion, nationality, race, age etc.

It was only about 30 years ago that homosexuals were removed from the books of mental hospitals as a ‘condition’. Haven’t we moved forward?? Why would they want to put someone through the hell of ex-gay therapy? Just leave us all alone, you evil bastards.

6. Will the Scouser 16 Jul 2009, 12:40pm

Thank you for this article. It’s alarming to know that there are still parents around in 2009 who can do this to their children and imagine that they’re doing the will of God. Out upon it! I say.

7. An absolute disgrace that this still happens in a supposed civilised society. And these cults appear to have a free hand in the US, shame on them!

8. Surely some form of at least technical kidnap has occurred here? It would at least be worth somebody’s while harassing the parents with a legal case even if it came to nothing.

9. “He is 23 and while I have much sympathy for his situation with regard to his abusive family, a 23 year old is an adult”

What we do know is he’s a student with no income who was in the closet.

What we don’t know for sure is his boyfriend out to his family?
    Does he have an extended family i.e grandparents to run to?
    Is his bond with his immediate family strong? -Hence he will bow to pressure.
    What are his characteristics, is he passive, gentle, non-aggressive?
    Did he know what he was in store for/how long he would be gone for?

Since we’re not privy to any of this; before you make judgement, maybe your only feeling should be outrage and sympathy. Rather than taking the typical cynical approach of blaming the victim. Because that’s what he is, a victim.

10. I reiterate Dans sentiments

Evil Evil Evil . . . B******S

The results of Ex-gay so called therapies:
    *Anxiety
    *Depression
    *In some cases suicide

These therapies have been discredited in the UK by the Royal college of Psychiatrists, but unfortunately supported by fringe groups within the church of England

11. It’s a good idea to click on the website link provided at the bottom of the story and seeing the details of the situation Bryce and Travis face before making any judgements.

You can also sign the guestbook and send Bryce a messsage of support (bearing in mind that as the site is run by a gay-friendly church and Bryce is clearly a believer, it might, in this instance and at this stage, be counter-productive to get into arguments about religion in these messages).

12. Is he 23? some reports on blogs elsewhere have said 21. Either way, these boot camps should be regulated – it is a psychological / psychiatric matter, and it’s high time they were prevented from using the excuse of ‘religion’ to ruin people like this.

13. The Menstruator 16 Jul 2009, 1:47pm

But thanks again breeders, enjoy pushing him to peril.

14. “I guess I feel bad, but he’s 23. How can you force an adult to do anything? Or he’s 21? What does it matter, if you’re over 18 you shouldn’t be living w/ your parents anyway.
    But thanks again breeders, enjoy pushing him to peril.”

Why don’t you piss off, get a life and try and lose your virginity eh?

15. If everybody who called themselves a fundamentalist supporter of their religion were put on a spaceship to Mars, how much better the world would be.

At the very least, I think the parents should be committed to a year’s intensive re-education to understand that bigotry is evil.

16. I just hope he can stay sane til he returns to the real world!! My thoughts are definately with him. xx

17. #2
    ….and you could have added…”And the idiot Catholic Church…”
    Keith

18. Stuart Neyton 16 Jul 2009, 2:33pm

Wow, makes me grateful my parents are athiests. Some have commented on his age, but if he’s still dependent on his parents (many of my friends still are), then he must be in a difficult situation. I hope the community puts pressure on his parents, but somehow I doubt that.

“Either way, these boot camps should be regulated”

Nope, they should be banned.

19. Stuart Neyton 16 Jul 2009, 2:34pm

Oops, spelt atheist wrong.

20. Wow, Lezabella, you have issues! Go and indulge your carnal desires with the opposite sex and leave gay men alone.

Ivan – what don’t you get here? Why defend thinly veiled religious hatred? A ‘cure’ in the name of Jesus Christ, for goodness sake. Wake up! This is bullying. Bullying people into thinking they are somehow ‘wrong’ for being gay. It is bad. Very bad.

21. Mihangel apYrs 16 Jul 2009, 2:55pm

@Dan
    I read Lezabella as rebuking the person who claimed that he should have stood up for himself since he was an adult.

Young 20s are often a bit immature, still dependant on their parents for support (emotinal and financial) and still swayed by “parental love”.

Another one of OUR childeen in the hands of devils!

22. Mentruator (13):

Why don’t you piss off, get a life and try to lose your virginity, eh?

23. “Wow, Lezabella, you have issues! Go and indulge your carnal desires with the opposite sex and leave gay men alone.”

Whoops I mis-read what ‘Menstruator’ said, I thought he was a straight having a go at us gays!

lol, sorry :)

But since I’m “LEZabella” I have to say that I only have carnal desires for/with other women!

Also, I don’t agree with what ‘Menstruator’ said, and I also don’t like his name. Sounds a bit anti-women maybe?

Ah well, sorry guys, mis-read his statement and subsequently went off my tree at him: My mistake, sorry!

24. When I saw his picture, I thought this was a kid in trouble. Then, I read he was 23. What? That’s just pathetic. Why won’t he get a job and tell his parents to go beep themselves?

25. Zae – he is in trouble
    I hope he’ll be ok and he’s found safe

26. Zae – he is in trouble
    I hope he’ll be ok and he’s found safe

27. To be fair, speaking for myself at that age I was stuck in the closet, had zero self confidence and was entirely reliant on my reactionary parents. Homophobia in the family can cause a degree of arrested development and a whole bundle of self-esteem issues, so it’s easy to say from the sidelines that he should be more independant, but perhaps he doesn’t have the same emotional resiliance as other more independant guys his age.
    I think there should be more support within the community for guys like this who find their families have turned on them.
    Either way, emotional blackmail is a pretty low way of getting him to tow the line and turn straight.

28. I was thinking like many, he is a grown adult capable of supporting himself and going it alone, but then, tell that to all the beaten wives that get the crap kicked out of them by brutal husbands, but never leave and continue to be abused. Sometimes leaving home is easier said than done.

29. Lezabella, very wise observations/questions!

<b”What we do know is he’s a student with no income who was in the closet.
    What we don’t know for sure is his boyfriend out to his family?
    Does he have an extended family i.e grandparents to run to?
    Is his bond with his immediate family strong? -Hence he will bow to pressure.
    What are his characteristics, is he passive, gentle, non-aggressive?
    Did he know what he was in store for/how long he would be gone for?”</b

He’s 23; look at him, he’s got the face of an angel; and he’s been raised in a very religious family: so, he may very well not have the wherewithal to fight back and object.

And before anybody dares to mock me for the above and to say, “What, 23? And he can’t stick up for himself?” I say, “Don’t dare!” I know SO MANY gay men who are long past the age of 23, 33, and 43, who have never had the extraordinary strength of personality that is required to absolutely say “No!” to those most powerful figures in one’s life, one’s mother and father.

My fantasy is that some very wealthy person reading this thread will throw their all into rescuing this lad and his lover and providing them with a safe place.

30. Lezabella, very wise observations/questions!

“What we do know is he’s a student with no income who was in the closet.
    What we don’t know for sure is his boyfriend out to his family?
    Does he have an extended family i.e grandparents to run to?
    Is his bond with his immediate family strong? -Hence he will bow to pressure.
    What are his characteristics, is he passive, gentle, non-aggressive?
    Did he know what he was in store for/how long he would be gone for?”</b

31. You’re so right, Eddy. My partner was 50 years old and his mother was still leading him by the nose.

It was so clear to me, and she knew it, but his need to be a good son worked against him until the day she died. He never once stood up to her. He’s a university graduate, for gawd’s sake, and he constantly caved in to emotional blackmail.

Family relationships… no two are alike.

I told my family where to get off when I was 13-14, and my parents never bothered me.

As Lezabella says, we need to know more about the situation. I feel sorry for him and also so helpless, not to mention furious with religious stupidity. Simplistic comments like The Menstruator’s don’t help either.

32. Brian Burton 16 Jul 2009, 5:42pm

I was so glad to get away from my family. There was so many of us. infact there was so many kids in the family, the mice used to set traps for us.
    But, I did manage to escape. Went to the big city to make my fortune and find the ‘Man of my Dreams.’ Ofcoure it never happens that way in real life. I lived in a bed-sit and tried a local Pub called the ‘Cock and Trumpit’ for any slap and tickle I could get. So, I soon got fed-up with this life. I tried to joiun the Navy in Portsmouth. They said what do you know about the Navy?. I told them, the nearest I have been to the Navy was in an all male Review called, ‘Come Peep through my Porthole’ but that did not satisfy them. Glancing at me side-ways!, they asked; Are You A Practicing Homosexual? I replyed No I’m really quit good at it now. Well that was It! Rejection–Bastards.
    The whole point of me telling you my sad, sad story is: This youg Chap is stuck between the Devil and the deep blue sea.

33. @ Lezabella

This same abuse happens in the UK with fundamentalist Christian churches like Newfrontiers international based in Brighton or the Vineyard all evangelical and very dangerous.

34. I really hope Bryce has the courage to WALK OUT – he needs to find his self respect, self-worth. That must be immensely difficult, and that’s why we need a wave of support.

He’s probably relying on the thousands of dollars needed to fund his studies. But he will be far better off without being owned by his parents, which is what he is.

It’s for the LGBT community and all like-minded folk, to turn up the heat, be more visible and vocal, demonstrating outside these dreadful boot camps.

35. Either way parents who would do such a thing, are more worried about appearances than they are the health of their son. I mean after all, it just wouldn’t do for a nice middle class family to have a gay son now would it? Hypocrisy at it’s very best. And the truth of the human heart, unveiled for all to see.

36. Although “ex-gay therapy” has been largely debunked and and is about as appropriate as “ex-Negro therapy”, I, like others, question how a 23-year-old can be “forced” into anything by his parents and or wind up “on the street”.

37. Does it matter if he is 16, 23 or 53? The fact is that he is there under coercion. They have used the control they have over him. I suspect he has gone there thinking he can make them think he is co-operating and then get out and find his boyfriend again. But if he is going to be in the hands of these evil torturers for 14 months they will break him and cause life-long psychological damage.

It makes me so angry. This should be illegal!

If he ever sees this webpage I hope he realises the strngth of feeling out here and the support he has. He doesn’t need his parents money. He should get out of there and let his family of friends look after him and rebuild his life without his parents, even if that means getting by without their money. Then he can let them back into his life on his own terms.

38. He’s 23 years old. If he doesn’t like his parents’ views about how he should live, perhaps he should get a job or take out a loan and not live as their dependent. Unless he’s being held against his will at this place, the people running the campaign to “save” him should get a grip. If you live with and off your parents, you live by their rules.

39. @Dan

Do read what I said.

I would never defend religious hatred or so-called cures for homosexuality. Far from it. And what’s more, I actually devote some time to actually doing something about it.

However, if anyone uses the link at the bottom of the story and reads the website supporting Travis and Bryce (and some people really do need to do that to better understand their situation before posting and judging) they’ll see that they’re both quite religious (their choice) and they’re being supported in their cause by a well-meaning gay-friendly ministry who’ve set up the site on their behalf (fair enough).

To post a messsage on that site raving against religion is no better than bursting into a church funeral and telling the believing bereaved there’s no Heaven. It’s not the time, it’s not the place, it’s just rude. And it gives non-believers a bad name.

Try walking in their shoes for a moment and stick to the straightforward, unalloyed support they need and deserve. That’s all I’m saying.

40. Nice ‘christian’ parents who would throw their child out on the street. Typical.

41. FORCED?? LOL, momma and daddy took away his phone and car. Let him go get his own stuff. Earn his own money. NOOOOO he’d rather be a helpless dependent and do whatever his rents want, in order to maintain his status quo. Maybe when this guy is a rich doctor, he’ll grow a spine and tell his parents to fck off.

42. Interesting. I wonder what else Exodus Ministries are up to. We hear an awful lot about the doings of the Westboro lot – who are a bunch of impotent loons – our gaze might be better directed at what the ex-gay movement is up to. I hope Bryce Faulkner has the strength of mind to leave before they really mess him up – not thinking clearly at 23 seems very forgiveable, especially if his community is in the dark ages.

43. I would dearly love to be in this boot camp for a week or two. I would relish the opportunity to lecture these morons on Darwin, Evolution, the non existence of tooth fairies in the sky, and the impossible challenge to explain how such fools know the mind of god….

44. Kari Marshall 16 Jul 2009, 10:12pm

Hi everyone, first let me introduce myself. My name is Kari and I am a very good friend of Travis, Bryce’s partner. Let me just say thank you to all of you who have commented on the article and for your show of support. In reading through your comments I know its hard for anyone to understand how a 23 yr old adult could possibly allow anyone to force them to do anything or not even try to escape or runaway. Well let me just share a few tidbits of information which might help enlighten the issue. Bryce lives in a rural town where the population, is what we Americans call, Unincorporated. In other words….enough to call it a town but its actually just a hole in the wall. Not only is the town small, and far from more heavily populated areas, but it is also very conservative. Had Bryce tried to leave….where would he have gone? His partner lives 6 states away and was preparing to travel to get him…but alas did not make it in time. So having no phone to call anyone outside of the closed knit & closed minded community, no car to drive outside of it or to help, no money at all to eat, for transportation, or help him escape…what was he supposed to do. And underneathe everyone, at one time or another, there is or was an underlying need to please your parents and not disappoint them. So while many people may not understand how Bryce could allow himself to end up where he is, what we need to truly focus on is finding where they have taken him to let him know that support is there for him so he feels empowered to escape and run, run very far away and into the arms of a partner and family that love him here in Wisconsin. As a result of the plight of Bryce we have also formed a non-profit organization called “Friends of Bryce”. Created to help Bryce escape from this nightmare as well as bring to light these camps and institutions and try to bring them down once and for all forever. If you would like further information about this organization or have information that could help with Bryce’s situation please email me at klm057179@yahoo.com or visit this link http://savebryce.ergonomicalministries.org/ and post it there. Again thank you all for your overwhelming support.

45. Commander Thor 16 Jul 2009, 11:17pm

AdrianT, read Nineteen Eighty Four, and read the chapter “Room 101″ carefully. They would break you.

So right Eddy!

My own parents offered such “help” to me. I’m 22, and the only reasons I was able to resist it was because I finally broke through my depression the day I decided I didn’t care that so many people were going to hate me for being gay, and I would just stop hating myself. Also, I was not living on my parents expenses being on a scholarship.

If I was living at home, still depressed and self loathing, I would have chosen ex-gay over running away and starting life new, simply because when I lived at home I didn’t know there were other gay men living happy lives with partners – I was lied to, I was made to believe gays were perverts and that they should be killed.

Such is the 21st century world we live in. And I lived in a f**king democracy, where a man being gay is illegal.

I feel so sorry for this guy, I do beg of anyone here able to do anything to please help him. I don’t live in my home country so I have little to none campaining abilities…

46. You may be right Thor, but I’ve had a lot of mental torture too from my family many years ago. You can’t be broken once reason is on your side. But that indeed, comes from 20 years of exploring science and literature; I doubt young Bryce has had the opportunity to arm himself with such knowledge.

14 months of brainwashing and teaching self hatred will destroy the guy emotionally. His boyfriend will be presented with an android. This guy has simply got to walk out and break free, and realise he is a grown up, not a child.

LGBT people, get out and protest loud and angrily, outside these hate institutions , like never before.

47. these places need to be banned.

48. Brian Burton: He’ll be gay tomorrow and 10 years from now unless he kills himself over this, which is not that far-fetched.

49. sorry, I’m a different John K. than the one posting earlier. 46 was my first comment here.

50. “He is 23 and a pre-med student in the USA. He will be completely dependent on his parents for everything. That’s how it works in the states. If mom and dad cut the money he would of been on the street and all his work and dream of being a doctor would be snatched away.”

— Thanks for the info Abi1975, that was exactly my point. It’s easy to say ‘oh he’s 23′ and just’walk out'; but if you’re unfortunate enough to be in that situation it isn’t as easy as that.

As RobN rightly said, “but then, tell that to all the beaten wives that get the crap kicked out of them by brutal husbands, but never leave and continue to be abused. Sometimes leaving home is easier said than done.”

And I also don’t appreciate the troll reiterating his/her point by posting the same damn opinion under different names.

51. Scrub what I said about kidnap. His parents have stolen his property. They can be arrested for theft.

52. This should be world wide mainstream headlines!!! It’s amazing how people say to me ‘there’s no homohobia anymore it’s 2009′. Well here it is, alive & kicking & damaging this man! LGBT’s everywhere should hold protests outside everyone of these places! How do we find out where they are?

53. “The fruits of these so-called treatments are depression, confusion, isolation, and a damaged sense of self.” that was me trying to escape my homosexuality. I nearly killed myself on a few occasions because I couldn’t cope with the feelings and “letting people down”. I didn’t want to hurt anyone, I just wanted to be me. My older brother had come out before me, which made my parents put pressure on me to be straight. I tried straight relationships, staying with one woman for over 18months. In the end I got to breaking point, if I hadn’t come out, I wouldn’t be here now. YOU CANNOT FIGHT your NATURAL orientation. That’s why these so called “do gooders” think that we are a threat, We might turn straight people gay. WE ARE NOT A THREAT TO THE HUMAN RACE—–WE CAN’T BE CHANGED—–YOU CAN’T BE CHANGED. IT IS PART OF THE NATURAL ORDER. Hatred and bigotry and intolerence from religious fundamentalists will destroy the earth and humankind. whether you believe big bang theory or creation myth….the earth and its inhabitants are a wonderfully diverse mix of life, which can live in harmony, if people just take one thing on board: We are all individuals we all have a right to be who we are as long as whatever we do in bed with or to each other is concenting.

54. It is amazing and terrifying that reparative/ex-gay therapy is on the increase again. The medical profession abandoned it 20 years ago because it was proved not to work. Now you have religious people without any medical, psychological or counselling qualifications setting themselves up in business as ‘therapists’. Reports from people who have undergone such ‘therapies’ suggest that they use aversion and brainwashing techniques to get people to hate the part of them which is gay, as well as repeatedly quoting scriptures and religious theory at them which tells them they will go to hell. All that will do is make people hate themselves, have low self esteem, mistrust their parents, damage their ability to form relationships etc but will not remove the gayness.

I feel really sorry for this young man who feels helpless. I hope he does find the courage to walk out rather than endure the psychological abuse. It is such a shame that his parents are putting hi through this when they are the very people he should be able to trust most in this world.

55. The thing that really irritates me–beyond the fact that this man’s been essentially kidnapped into a cult–is that there’s so much victim-blaming going in the comments.

All of you who are like “He’s 23, why doesn’t he just grow a pair and get out?” don’t seem to realize your comments are essentially the same as saying of a battered wife, “Why doesn’t she just leave?” Please take a moment to try and understand the psychology of abuse (emotional and religious abuse, at the very least)–under which this man has spent his whole life. And please try to have some compassion for his situation.

Whatever the reasons for his dependence on his family (because maybe being a pre-med student and being completely financially dependent on their support for college isn’t enough), the criminal thing is that this man has been forced into a “therapy” program that may well destroy his life.

56. Well said, Jane.

57. They always say George Bush Sr and his wife, Barbara, had their son, the previous US president, George W Bush, de-gayed in his teens.

They must have done an awfully good job on him if his wife, Laura, anything to go by.

58. He’s grown man for God’s sake. No one forced him? If so, ring 911.

59. Again, ‘dave’, tell that to all of the battered wives aswell.

What part of ‘HE IS THE VICTIM’ do you not comprehend? Really?

60. It’s a lousy situation but assuming he wasn’t actually kidnapped by his parents – which does happen sometimes in these cases – he surely had options: drop out of school (which he’s had to do anyway), stay with friends for a few weeks and look for a job, even if it was just flipping burgers. Unless violence was involved, I don’t see what he’s a victim of. Parents don’t owe their adult children financial support. His folks sound like horrible people no matter how good they think their intentions are, but it seems he had choices here.

61. Jen Marcus 17 Jul 2009, 6:18pm

I think Bryce’s situation is indeed difficult and much akin too a battered spouse. Please forgive my over simplification, perhaps he should try contacting the ACLU, Lambda Legal, Local Legal Aide Society or a private attorney to represent him Pro Bono and then the local government and police authorities in Arkansas or wherever he is being” imprisoned”. and file a complaint against the ex- gay therapy group and his parents for False Imprisonment, Assault and Battery, the Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress. etc. He then should file a companion civil suit against these parties for the same and other pertinent causes of action that an attorney may deem appropriate Should he prevail in civil and/or criminal court he may be awarded the financial resources he needs to finish school and be free from the oppressive tyranny of both groups of people. He also may fortuitously “break the bank”‘ of that irreligious Fascist concentration camp where he is imprisoned and get it permanently shut down! As for his filial relationship with his parents, I am not sure anyone would want to be connected with such “loving” parents?

62. @Lucius to answer your question yes there are organisations namely the Roman Catholic ‘church’ and others in Europe that still try the ‘ex-gay therapy’ route. There is one in Poland and there is a website in Polish sponsored by the Roman Catholic ‘church’ to this effect.
    I feel that Amnesty International and other Human Rights group must fully investigate these ‘churches’ and the parents of any gay young people who force any gay to undergo these mental physiological and in some case physical tortures. The torture by these crackpot organisations are a direct violation of all human rights.

63. While I agree that anti-gay brainwashing camps are an absolute travesty, I really can’t pity this kid as much as I could a teenager or an actual child. It’s kind of insulting that they’re saying he was “forced” into anything. I mean, I’m 21 myself, living on my own for the last four years since a falling out with my own parents, we’re not friggin’ children. If he’s willing to give up his freedom and his love and go into a brainwashing camp to avoid having to get a job and actually take care of himself financially, that’s his cowardly decision, and that’s totally not the same as being forced into anything.

These programs are definitely a thing worth fighting, but I think there are many more actual helpless victims than this guy.

64. I have a friend in his mid 60s who tells me often that his partner, who knows him much better than me, thinks that he was “emasculated” by his parents during his upbringing – robbed of his will-power as a result of continually being psychologically abused.

So for those who can’t put themselves into the shoes of people different from themselves, go ponder on the word “empathy”! In this day and age of utter selfishness, me me me, so many people simply cannot imagine that other people’s reality may be quite different from their’s! Tragic.

65. Brian Burton 19 Jul 2009, 7:25am

Eddy,
    a good analysis there. Nobody can walk into a family unit and say, you must stop telling your son that he is not Gay, going through a phase he’ll grow out of….I’ve seen it all before…as you say Eddy…Tragic!

66. Grief, this story shows me how lucky I have been. I came out to my parents just about forty years ago and apart from one tiny spat with my father, which he apologised for just a few minutes later (and I apologised to him, also, for my stupidity in that silly argument), I have never been at odds with my parents about my being gay. They are just wonderful human beings who have accepted me for what I am. They are just two beautiful people who love me.

I can’t say the same for my siblings, however. One hates me so much that he hasn’t talked to me in over fifteen years and he other one ignored me right up until the day he died and his wife has never spoken to me at all – she has, the fat German Hausfrau that she is, never spoken to me at all, not even on the day that she married my brother and I stood up at his wedding as his ‘best man’.

Fortunately, the children of both of my brothers are much more liberated and they all visit me and speak to me quite freely.

However, I can completely understand that a 23 year old in our society may not be free of his parents and may still be dependent upon them. Most of us who post here are free and emancipated but that does not mean that there are not many out there who are not as we are. The need for a second, or even a third, degree from our University can keep us in thrall to our parents, to the people who are paying our bills, and can lead us into hellish situations such as this one.

Oh, and by the way, twenty-three is no great age nor is it a maturity of years. Looking back on myself at twenty-three from over thirty years later I wouldn’t like to say that I could have resisted pressure from my parents had I had his sort of intolerant parents. I was one of the lucky ones, I have wonderful and understanding parents who simply wanted me to find love and to be loved in the same way as they managed to find each other, but had they wished otherwise I’m not sure that I could have, even at twenty-three, stood up against them and asserted my rights as an adult. As I said – I was lucky. My parents were thoroughly modern people with a thoroughly modern take on the, and their, world.

However, I don’t think, even at twenty-three years of age, I could have stood up against their wishes had they been as deeply homophobic as this young man’s parents obviously are.

Maybe twenty-three seems a great age to all of you. It isn’t! One can still be, as I was, deeply beholden to ones parents and deeply under their influence, as I was. I’ll say it again, I was lucky, am lucky to this day! My parents are superbly reasonable and reasoning people.

His parents, obviously, are not reasonable. If his story is true then we must financially help him. If this story is not true then we must seek to expose a lie.

In a sense, however, the truth, or otherwise, of this particular story doesn’t matter. There is a greater truth given as example here: and that truth is how much we allow, or will allow, our sexuality to be sold for money – just to what extent we will go to hide our sexuality in order to gain what we want. A degree, a career, a successful life! How far are you prepared to lie in order to get what you want from life?

There are probably many here who will reckon that he just had to lie for a year or two longer then he would have been free.

Why should he have had to lie at all? Why should his parents (deeply abusive if this story is true) be allowed to get away with this without being challenged? Why aren’t we encamped outside their home and protesting against their abuse of an adult?

Come on PinkNews, who are they? Who are these idiot parents seeking to control the sexual proclivities of a twenty-three year old male and why haven’t you named and shamed these obvious perverts?

67. THE STORY HAS JUST BEEN REPORTED ON SKY NEWS!!!!

I am very satisfied this case is authentic, John MJ. No-one has seen the guy for 36 days now. Go and see the Facebook page ‘Friends of Bryce Faulkner’ for more updates. You can also read about the parents / family of Bryce, who have now found out about the protest, and are threatening to sue for ‘defaming their family’.

His mother Debra Faulkner runs a surgery in El Dorado, AK. It’s a small town and his family is well known. That makes it doubly difficult for him to come out

68. Thanks for the above, Adrian T. I hope Pink News makes another thread for this story now, so that all those who have disbelieved the lad could be in these dire straits will think again.

John M. J., thanks for your sound words. I can well believe the extraordinary situation of your sister-in-law refusing to speak to you on her wedding day in spite of you being her husband’s best man. This is the sort of nonsense that goes on still and that people lucky enough to have had no such experience cannot identify with.

69. Yes, I have spoken with travis – and have to say the final calls and texts up to 2pm on 14 June were heartbreaking.

70. AdrianT, can you tell us more. I see that PinkNews is not following up on this story and you obviously have managed to get through. Good for you. Can Travis not reach Bryce at all?

71. Brian Burton 20 Jul 2009, 9:44pm

John M.J.
    Well poppa-ma-cork and you just renderd the tame version of your epistle to the Children of Pink! Seriousley, in our day and age, we can actually still have this situation? Normally, the good citizens of ‘Bible Belt’ country, will suppress and be suppressed because it’s past custom and practice to keep under wraps anything not conforming to ‘Bible Belt’ Spiritual well-being. Seems that his crime was being ‘found out,’ those loose cannon e-mails. I for one am glad his homosexuality has been outed even by accident. Now there will be the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, along with some debate. Disgraced Children were always sent abroad for a cooling off period, especially where s-e-x has raised It’s ugly head….Homosexual? Why! your nothing of the Kind my Boy. Your parents are pillars of the Chuch and the community. Any claims of this nature are out of the question!……And so It will go one and on untill that final hour when he jumps onto some form of transport and runs into the arms of his Boy-friend in another State. Loves-sweet-song should be sung in this case.

72. Hi Eddy – I think the campaign is just getting off the ground, it may be a bit premature to follow up the story after just a few days. I am verifying some sources before I make lots of statements.

What is really important – and maybe some are even reading this: if you know Bryce, please come forward, tell us if you’ve heard anything.

73. Debra Faulkner, El Dorado, AK, USA.

Now, where did I put my phone book…

74. Hm-m-m. There are 14 Debra Faulkners in El Dorado, AK, USA.

Searching…surgery

75. 86 listings under Physicians and Surgeons in El Dorado, AK.
    no luck…

76. Thanks, AdrianT, will keep an eye on this thread for further news.

77. I’m so sick of religion at this point.

78. Leon K fox . . . you better believe it . . . the Fanatical Fundemantalists are fanning their flames once again.

Fortunately for the rest of us they will be the ones getting their toes burnt, especially as they step up thier hell fire into the half baked frying pan of foolishness.

Sit back and watch then sizzle

79. Help Save Bryce!!! ((i’m from brazil))

80. Just to add my thank you, AdrianT. I’ll be checking back here to see what’s going. Horrible story.

81. You bring Jesus into homosexuality, and it is wrong!!! JESUS NEVER SAID ONE WORD ON HOMOSEXUALITY!!! Get it Straight people, Jesus is not going to deny His love to one group of people, but ANYONE who wants to come to Jesus for forgiveness can!! It is plainly stated in the bible.