Graham Norton’s BBC1 show Totally Saturday has been cancelled due to poor viewing figures, according to reports.

According to the Sun, the show was watched by only 2.5 million viewers on Saturday, down from 4.3 million when it began last month.

A source told the newspaper: “Totally Saturday has been totally disastrous. The BBC hoped it would be their answer to Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway on ITV.

“But viewers just don’t seem to like it and even Graham is unhappy with it. He deserves much better than this turkey. It’s got two more shows and then it’s being consigned to the dustbin.”

Totally Saturday was even attacked by some of Norton’s BBC colleagues.

Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles called it “appalling”, while Jonathan Ross told his listeners: “Poor Graham, I feel for him watching that show. It makes even that series John Barrowman was in look like a work of genius.”

He added that the programme was “not good enough”.

A BBC spokeswoman said: “The last two episodes of Totally Saturday will go out over the next two weeks as planned. It is too early to say whether the series will return but we are proud to have taken a risk and tried out a new format with Totally Saturday.

“Graham is a fantastic host and we will continue to work on new formats and ideas with him.”