Gay politicians pitch for your votes

1. Brian Burton 3 Jul 2009, 2:37pm

Gay Politicians ducking and diving at the National Portrait Gallery–what fun!
    Christian Fundamentalists picketed and screamed “You Nasty Gay People, How dare you?”…..Who Dares Wins, haven’t they heard?
    One Christian Fundamentalist stamped his foot and said through clenched teeth, “Those damn Gay people are so….so gay!” So what saucy? When we’re good we are very good, but when we’re Bad we’re Better!
    Personally, I do think Labour have done (not enough yet) but streets ahead of any other Political Party in the UK to date. I do hope Leabella agrees with my choice?

2. Lezabella 3 Jul 2009, 2:56pm

Hi Brian!

I’ve never had someone actually mention me and ‘call me out’ so to speak; you’ve amde me feel very special! :)

Yes I do agree with you 100%. Labour have done much, much more than any other party to help us gain equal rights and I’m thankful for it. They still have a long way to go, but they’ve done a lot aswell.

Labour MPs like Angela Eagle (only ‘out’ lesbo in Parliament apparently), David Milliband, Louise Ellman, Alan Johnson and indeed Harriet Harman have raised the bar when it comes gay rights (re: their voting records), and many Tories are lacking-

David Cameron =
    Voted AGAINST unmarrid hetero or homo couples adopting.

George Osborne=

Voted AGAINST unmarried hetero or homo couples adopting.
    Voted FOR the ‘need for a father clause’ in the IVF Bill which would of prevnted lesbian couples gaining treatment.

Liam Fox=

Was absent for ALL gay rights votes, but the ones he was there for he ..

Voted AGAINST prohibition of homphobic bullying in schools
    Voted AGAINST adoption for unmarried hetero and homo couples
    Voted AGAINST the equal age of consent.

List goes on and on and on Brian. They’re still bigots at their core.

3. Supporting Labour just because they’ve done some nice things for gays is utterly naive. I could never vote for a party that supports spending billions on renewing nuclear weapons, has mortgaged off much of the public sector to the private sector, holds civil liberties with such contempt and has used political power with such arrogance and incompetence.

The Green Party are the only truly radical and progressive party in British politics. We desperately needs some intelligence and boldness in politics again.

4. Lezabella 3 Jul 2009, 3:33pm

5. Thank you, L, for picking out those facts from the voting records. The fact that David Cameron thinks gay people can’t be trusted with children makes my blood run cold.

6. vulpus_rex 3 Jul 2009, 4:44pm

It makes my blood run cold to hear that anyone could still contemplate voting Labour after the financail havoc they have wreaked up on the country.

7. Lezabella 3 Jul 2009, 6:13pm

“Lezabella what exactly are your values – corruption, incompetence, dishonesty, war mongering? This is what we have from the current Labour government so I fail to see what you find so attractive.

Without wanting to sound sycophantic you do seem like a sensible person, so I cannot understand how anyone with a brain can vote for more new labour cr*p.”

The core Labour values (supposedly anyway, although it seems only backbenchers and some others subscribe to them recently) of fighting for worker’s rights, education for all, equality amongst women and men (in pay/jobs), non-privitisation of the NHS, adequate funding for the NHS and gay rights appeal to me.

“corruption, incompetence, dishonesty, war mongering” can be levelled at the Tories over the past few years aswell, they fiddled their expenses with the rest of them, they’re dishonest too, they’re also dishonest by spouting about ‘gay rights’ when many of their Shadow Cabinet votes against (especially Liam Fox, his record is appauling), but especially the war-mongering part, they voted for the Iraq War too remember?

Being from Liverpool how could I bring myself to vote for Thatcher’s party and followers after what her policies did to my city? I rmember as a child, Liverpool was minging. Rotting building’s everywhere and no jobs. It only began to recover after Blair got in. Now it’s a stylish city that I’m proud of. Especially the City Centre it’s beautiful. I had 1 computer in my whole primary school. Now kids have one each!

If you can tell me WHY to vote Tory, what their policies are and how they’ll benefit me then go ahead.

8. Brian Burton 3 Jul 2009, 7:46pm

Well spoken Lezabella, Vulpus rex is a pest, with his constant whining about Labour and is magnificently oblivious to Tory follies, past and present.

9. Lezabella and Tony I agree with you both

10. Brian Burton 4 Jul 2009, 12:20pm

As for Gonzo, you also want Utopia. I do submit though, a Map without Utopia marked on it, is not worth looking at!

11. Beresford 4 Jul 2009, 1:42pm

It is a great pity to me, that most of you are more concerned with slagging each other off, rather than trying to put things right by sensible comment – or have I not yet got the hang of these comment sites

12. “I don’t vote Labour solely for ‘gay issues’, I vote for them, because at their heart; I believe they represent my values more.”

That’s fair enough if your values call for redistributing wealth slightly more than than the Tories would and slightly less than Lib Dems probably would, massively increasing the national debt and paying constant lip service to the “poorest in society”.