Irish gays ‘deserve marriage rights’ claim campaigners

1. Simon Murphy 26 Jun 2009, 2:24pm

The present coalition will be kicked out in the next election. I hope this CP legislation is not enacted before that. There is a better chance of full equality without Fianna Fail lying about some spurious need for a referendum.

I hope the gay voters remember how the Green Party betrayed them at the last election – promising to push for full equality and then rolling over like wimps and settling for 2nd best CP once in coalition

2. Simon Murphy 26 Jun 2009, 2:33pm

And tomorrow is Gay Pride Parade in Dublin and I’m going hooooooooooome for it. Hurrah! I bet there will be quite an angry demonstration as gay people are not happy about the new Inequality legislation

3. I hope the Irish government listens and full marriage rights will follow. CXivil partnerships are outdated- they were just a stepping stone to full equality.

4. Robert, ex-pat Brit 26 Jun 2009, 4:32pm

Tony, you’re absolutely right, they are outdated. How much proof do we need…Holland, Belgium, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Canada and South Africa proved how unequal they were and so far, six states in the U.S. and growing. Proof positive if you ask me. CPs are not progressive but regressive, its another form of legal segregation, yet another regression. There is only ONE universal human relationship legally recognised throughout the world and that is MARRIAGE. Civil Partnerships and any other pseudo union will NEVER attain world recognition or stature. How many straights do you think would opt for a civil partnership if they were available to them?

5. When do we fight the marriage battle over here in the UK? CPs are so 5 years ago!

6. Simon Murphy 27 Jun 2009, 7:26pm

A very amusing situation at Dublin Pride today. The sun was shining. The party in the park after the parade had to be closed as it was at full capacity. Whenever the words ‘civil partnership’ were mentioned there were really loud ‘BOOOOOOOO’s’

7. Brian Burton 28 Jun 2009, 3:18pm

Sorry, but like everybody else, you Irish will have to take what you are given and be thankful even for that. ‘You bunch of ungreatful Bastards’ as RobN comments and I second!

8. Brian, what is your problem?

9. Simon Murphy 29 Jun 2009, 10:43am

#7: Brian: “but like everybody else, you Irish will have to take what you are given and be thankful even for that.”

So Brian, do you think the Black Civil Rights Movement in the US was a mistake and that black folks should have waited until the governor of Mississippi decided to end segregation?

Was the suffragette movement a mistake and should the women have meekly waited until men decided they were worthy of the vote?

If you believe that equality for any minority comes by meekly waiting for it then you truly are naive, misguided and quite possiblly thick.

10. “I hope this CP legislation is not enacted before that.”

Well, I for one do.

Me and my partner need this legislation. Its not complete, or goes far enough. Be that as it may, if it’s stopped, it will be years before anything comes around again like full marriage.

The key difference in the CP legislation, compared to “full” marriage, is the adoption area. I agree this is appalling.

However, all other marriage rights are included, and scrapping this legislation to push for full marriage with will not benefit any of the couples that need it, like me. Its arrogant and self serving to deny existing couples this legislation, regardless of how you feel about it. Not all of us want or need marriage to feel equal, but we do want the full equal legal rights.

So I for one think we take this, and keep the fight going. Its the path most other countries took to full marriage equality. Accepting CP is not saying you don’t want full equality, its pragmatic. All the more so for people like me desperately need some legal protection where none currently exists.

11. Brian Burton 29 Jun 2009, 4:33pm

Simon,
    I saw Martin Luther King give his ‘I Have A Dream’ speach when he first uttered the words all those years ago. My point is, you will see pigs fly before you can equate Black rights to Irish Gay Rights. Irish social politics run pretty close to Westminster’s in the main, so to expect anything to happen over there different to London? I do’nt think so.