Perez demands apology over ‘faggot’ incident, then gives his own

1. While I disagree whith what he said it must have been horrible that the “rapper” (ie thug) was vile to him (although not a shock that sort of culture is hardly pro gay).
    It is also not a shock that the media jumped in. It is true if he were a woman it would be different.

2. If he were a woman Andrew it would be different, I agree.

People should be focusing on what happened i.e a physical assault. Not a word Perez used.

Whatever anyone thinks of Perez, physical attacks are cowardly.

3. Simon Murphy 24 Jun 2009, 2:11pm

When Rihanna was assaulted by Chris Brown earlier this year no-one was saying ‘Oh she had it coming’.

Perez Hilton is an annoying, bitchy @sshole but there is no way a physical assault against someone can be justified even if they are provoking it. When you use that logic it’s quite close to the pathetic defence used by some guys ‘Oh that queer made a move on me so he deserved to have his head kicked in@

4. I cannot believe that some people are actually coming to his defence on this website!
    This man publicly outs people who are not ready to come out yet or simply don’t want to come out. He calls people’s children ‘fat’ and ‘ugly’. He puts pictures of people’s parents naked on the internet. When you dish out this much rubbish into the universe, he should expect this to happen.
    Also, to Simon Murphy, it is not at all the same as the defence you mentioned, as nobody is harmed if someone mistakes someone for being gay and makes a move on them. That kind of reaction to that behaviour is irrational. The pain and hurt Perez Hilton causes is intentional and disgusting, and therefore, quite different.
    He often offends me as a gay person, yet claims to stand for gay rights and our movement. I cannot tell you how many times straight people with a negative view of gay people have said “Well just look at Perez Hilton if you want to know what gay people are like!”. He does nothing but harm our community and whilst usually I do not agree with violence at all, perhaps this incident will open his eyes to the fact that although him getting punched hurt, his words hurt people a lot more.

5. Mihangel apYrs 24 Jun 2009, 2:36pm

oh Sammy
    no Sammy

It doesn’t matter how much of a shit he is (and he’s about par for the course in his genre): violence is never excusable.

6. Monkeychops 24 Jun 2009, 3:46pm

Violence is never the answer and Will.i.am could have shown a little more decorum. However, some people obviously don’t understand diplomatic channels and it is no surprise that Perez was smacked around the head. Also, the word “faggot” is incrediby derogatory – why is it people belonging to a group affected by such a word insist on using it? Either as an insult to others or just between themselves. Black guys call each other n****ers, gays call each other queers and poofs…..but then complain when someone outside the “group” calls them that. If words are powerful, then respect that power. See what happens when it falls into the wrong hands?

I doubt Perez will learn a lesson from this, he obviously thinks he’s some kind of victim. But, you reap what you sow and he has no-one to blame except himself. I’d like to think I wouldn’t thwack him if he outed me, showed pcitures of my sex life or insulted my family, but I can’t guarantee that. I’m only human and we all react to feelings of hurt in different ways. Would it be so bad of me if I hit him in a rage after he had done something so dispicable towards me? And, as the recipient of his abuse, why should I show any moral high-ground?

7. Brian Burton 24 Jun 2009, 5:13pm

This Hilton Bloke should apologise to anyone forced to look at his Photograph on Pink New!….A wild Hog looks more handsom!

8. Maybe I am going a little off-topic.

Monkeychops, do you believe what you have said? Are faggot and nigger equally as offensive? In which case, why have you censored one and not the other?

This is not to attack your argument – this is to illustrate a point which is more subtle; that it is ingrained for you to write ‘n***ers’ but not to write f***ot….I wonder if this says something about cultural acceptability?

I am very unsure, in general, about censorship – are words in their own right offensive? Or is it how they are used? or both or more? Personally, there are some situations in which I enjoy being called ‘fag’ – it turns me on, it’s about roleplay and power….experimenting with fantasies.

Should something offensive be outlawed? I am not so sure…..I would rather know where I stand with someone. In this country (UK) there are people that believe racism has been mostly irradicated. Yet the more subtle forms, implicit types, are still prevalent. Some people have learned that there are things you say and things you don’t – but that doesn’t change what they think – and others don’t get the opportunity to challenge what they think – because their situation is disguised by silence.

Very complex – but very interesting.

9. Considering some of the things that Perez has done in the past I’m suprised this hasn’t come sooner. If another queer had hit perez would we be having this argument?

10. tHE Menstruator 24 Jun 2009, 6:55pm

A gay man or woman can say “fag.” the issue here is will whatever his name is didn’t want to get outted. Dykes and fags say these words and it’s ok. The same goes for most unkind names as such.

11. In one word, karma.

12. This is tough. Violence is never justified, but sounds like Perez instigated most of it by calling someone a Faggot. It may be a casual term to him but to a straight man it is extremely insulting. I am Gay and I hate that most folks think Perez represents most Gay people. Kind of ironic, I would say, that he chose to use a term against someone else that he himself would have been very offended by. He is a hypocrite in the greatest sense. Perez, in this case it is difficult to feel sorry for you. You popped-off and then you got popped. Cause and effect.

13. Codex is right – karma.

He makes a living on the humiliation and derision he dispenses to others and frankly, if someone treats people (and don’t forget “celebrities” ARE still people) the way he does, eventually it will provoke a reaction. Lily Allen has called him a chauvinist, this is her way of dealing with his wretched attacks on her. Just so happens another person thought he needed a smack.

I wouldn’t call myself a violent person, having only ever been violent in self-defence, but even I can’t promise I wouldn’t if he did to me what he does to his victims.

14. Monkeychops 25 Jun 2009, 11:32am

Richard – I censored n****er just because I was under the impression that this site would not accept that word through a sweeper (some don’t and I’m sure I heard it being discussed on here). Perhaps I am wrong to have thought that. As faggot has been used tonnes of times, I didn’t. That’s all, purely practical. Sorry, it kind of defeats your point, but that’s it.

However, on the subject of censorship, I am also in two minds at times. If you want to be called a fag during a sexual encounter that’s at your discretion, like many other things in your private life, so it’s not relevant. Like Max Mosley’s Nazi sex, it’s up to him if he gets German-accented prostitutes to whip his arse. Derogatory terms used in public and towards me, I am not so keen on. And the word may have different meanings for both the user and the recipient. To someone, fag may be meaningless and benign but when they use it to refer to someone, such as me, they get an earful. Unintended, probably, but hurtful all the same. I just find it grossly hypocritical that minorities use words between them that are so widely condemned when used by others in reference to the minority. If your gay friend can call you a queen, why can’t the guy/girl in the office next to you do that? If you are happy being called a queen, you should be happy with anyone using it. Terms I don’t like I don’t accept from anyone. References to gays as being feminine are also looked down upon, which is interesting. Women are female, but they don’t find these terms offensive – so why should we be offended if it’s ok to be a woman? Is it because we see women as lesser beings or just because someone is calling us something we are not? In France, gay men often refer to each other as “elle” (she) and I get rather mad with them. They see nothing wrong with this and think I am being OTT. But if you’re outside that circle and you call them girly, cover your face to avoid being hit by the venom spat at you. It’s all hypocrisy.

Legislating on these things though I don’t think is helpful. Facing disciplinary hearings at work or school because of abusive language is fine, but outlawing or censoring is a stain on free speech. It’s as bad as outlawing holocaust denial. Those who are stupid will do it, but they will reap only criticism and derision – and you don’t need legislation to do that.

15. I find it interesting that Hilton sees “intellectualising a situation” and “thinking rationally” as calling someone a “f**king faggot”. I’d hate to see what his irrational, dumbed-down response would be…