Tax advice for gays criticised as ‘unnecessary’

1. David North 19 Jun 2009, 12:52pm

Excuse me.

I’m Gay.

I’m a bloody tax payer.

I would like to bloody know what I’m entitled to.

How dare these people fuss about this.

2. I’ve just saved it to read later. I think it’s a great idea!

3. I’m a tax payer too. I’d like to know why my taxes are being used to fund politically-correct pointless crap like this?

There is no difference whatsoever between straight and gay when it comes to taxation. This is part of the Inland Revenue’s initiative to put on a friendly face while they rob you blind.

4. The Taxpayers Alliance can f*ck off. Theyre nothing but a rent-a-quote group used by the right-wing newspapers whenever they want to rail against the government spending so much as a single penny on one of the various things said newspapers hate (like immigrants or ethnic minorities or non-christian religions or teenagers or political correctness GONE MAD or wheelie bins or anti-crime strategies that actually work or human rights or, yes, gays), and need something to back it up. If Pink News is going to start quoting them then I might as well read the bloody Daily Mail.

5. This Matthew Elliot fool says there should be clear tax advice for everyone- so don’t gay people count as being part of ‘everyone’? Or does he mean ‘everyone apart from gay people’? There is specific targetted advice needed about the situations gay people are in, so this is a great idea.

I find it deeply worrying that he obviously has no understanding of why you might apply an equal opportunities policy to recruitment and aim to attract people from minority groups into an industry where they are under-represented. I doubt he understands that advantages that come with doing this either.

As for Steve Bee thinking that people at Pride won’t be interested in the booklets. What a fool! Has he ever been to Pride? There are large numbers of information and community stalls and most people come away with a stack of leaflets and flyers to read later on.

6. Do gay men and lesbians need such advice? You bet they do. And quick.

I have just been immersed for two weeks in business following the death of a dear gay friend. For those who don’t know me in these Comments sections, I AM gay too. (There are negative and subversive posters here who are not, though they claim to be.) For two weeks I have been FIGHTING the deceased’s family. Upon his death it became immediately apparent that they wished to hide the fact that he was gay, although the deceased made it clear to them long before he died that he was gay. At his funeral they wished for there to be no references to anything gay in his life, and they fought, tooth and nail, to try and ensure that practically none of his hundreds of gay friends would turn up at the funeral. Furthermore, they claimed his address-books were not to be found – so almost no one could be contacted.

Do we gay men and lesbian people need alerting to dangers like this? You bet we do. The world is geared to heterosexuals, they outnumber us massively, and many of them are homophobic.

It is utterly tragic that my friend’s hundreds of gay friends still do not know of his death, though it is two weeks since he died. His family did not even bother putting a Death Notice in a major newspaper. I put one in myself without telling them.

At his funeral there were just 10 gay men, sitting towards the back, and apart from a couple of us the rest were all there uninvited. They had to “gate-crash”.

Please pass the word around: when you write your will, brothers and sisters, include with it a list of the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of everybody whom you want to be informed immediately upon your death and state whether or not you then wish these people to at least be invited to your funeral. Don’t leave these things at the discretion of your family or whoever you make responsible for arranging your funeral. Once you are dead they they may exercise their discretion as THEY wish.

Also, if you want a secular funeral, then don’t just write in your will “I would like a secular funeral”! Write something like, “I would like a secular funeral and under no circumstances are there to be any crosses or other religious symbols to be on display in the crematorium, nor are there to be any prayers or references to any form of deity or religion”. If you don’t make things explicit, then people such weeping parents may well twist the celebrant’s arm and convince him/her that you found your belief just towards the end, after you had written your will, and so you won’t get the funeral you specified. Leave nothing to chance. If you want a funeral, organise it specifically.

So, we gays and lesbians most DEFINITELY need the kind of help being offered by the HMRC, and more besides.

7. Matthew Elliott, chief executive of the group, HMRC, has obviously missed the point of WHY this is necessary. LGBT people who are in relationships have been struggling to get a fair deal when it comes to tax allowances, rights of inheritance and other such issues. He forgets that WE too are tax payers and have a right to proper information along with everyone else. How would he feel if the boot was on the other foot (or whatever other kind of analogy you care to use)? He would be one of the first to be shrieking for his rights!

8. Tony: “There is specific targetted advice needed about the situations gay people are in.”

Please enlighten me. I would love to know what is so specific about gay peoples finances that it needs a separate set of guides to everyone elses.

9. Robert, ex-pat Brit 19 Jun 2009, 3:53pm

Assuming this indirectly applies to those in a civil partnership, I’m also assuming that the tax laws vary slightly for married straight couples and partnered gay couples. Then I thought, wait a minute, aren’t civil partnerships supposed to be “equal” to marriage and if so, why should there be any variation? Does anyone have an explanation why we are singled out for tax advice as opposed to straights?

10. Someone should FOI every single Local Authority and Government department to find out how much each Taxpayers’ Alliance FOI has cost – lets see whether they have wasted money!

11. You just know these people are all claiming every tax allowance and tax credit they can get their hands on. Then they have the fount to complain about a booklet for the LGBT. As a community we pay more tax than the hetros do as we get non of the tax credits and other government bribes aimed squarely at heterosexual families.

A booklet is the very least HMRC should do its single people who fund the whole tax system in the first place.

12. Brian Burton 19 Jun 2009, 4:33pm

RobN,
    Rich complainers like you should have to pay more because you are the ‘Me Thinks You Protest Too Loud Sydrome.!’…Savvy?

13. Taxpayers Alliance (TA) and The Daily Mail probably are in the same bed, so it comes as no surprise TA is moaning about this. I don’t remember TA complaing about Government Department producing information booklets/posters for straight people?

As a gay taxpayer, I would be most interested to know what I’m entitled to, or what my tax rights are.

14. funny how its ALWAYS the straights saying what we do and don’t need.

15. RobN wrote
    “I’m a tax payer too. I’d like to know why my taxes are being used to fund politically-correct pointless crap like this?”

– – – – – – – – – – –

When ever has tax advice been political correctness?

16. Stuart Neyton 19 Jun 2009, 7:36pm

“However, the Taxpayers’ Alliance has called it a waste of money.”

yawn. Most of this group’s supporters are tax exiles. Why else would they refuse to endorse efforts to close down international tax havens? Thank you HMRC. Some more booklets like this would be nice.

17. John K: “When ever has tax advice been political correctness?”

A: When it is targeted at a minority that will demonstrate maximum exposure major brownie points with the “right-on” crowd.

First in a series of booklets. Coming soon:

* Creative accountancy for fox-hunt saboteurs

* How Asylum seekers can utilise tax breaks

* How to offset the cost of tents and sleeping bags during demonstrations

* Avoid death duties by donating to Greenpeace

* Capital Gains tax and the single parent black lesbian whale

You get my drift…

18. First of all, you, homosexuals, have to address your habits! It is so unfair that today no one can freely say what homosexuality is. It is a sickness, that is, gender identity disorder, which does serious harm to a person’s life and society. Well, of course, homosexual activists portray it in a different light, but, oh man, what harm they do to those poor sick people and to our society! So, leave the tax alone and think better about what madness you are in!!!

19. Stonewall – praise.
    Royal London Group – faint praise.
    Tax Alliance – criticised.
    Daily Telegraph – criticised.
    PinkNews headline – criticised.

Why do you ALWAYS lead with the criticism?

20. RobN . . . Get your drift – very rye. . . Love it.

Look forward to the booklets

21. Brian Burton 20 Jun 2009, 12:24pm

RobN,

You are Too political-Correct yourself and you expect everyone to follow your ultra-supid examples, Go crawl back under that rock you ninny!

22. do these people that think we don’t have the right to this info also critise leaflets being available in foreign languages? I think its good that services and info are tailored to minority groups, and what a good idea this to make the info available at the pride

23. Stuart Neyton 20 Jun 2009, 7:42pm

“It is a sickness”. So it’s not a choice then?

Tell me, Zotova, how has your life been directly affected by greater public acceptance of homosexuality? And what is the “cure” to this serious and contageous “illness”. I’m just curious. I’m sure you’ll read this because homophobes, like yourself, seem to love spending time on gay websites.

24. Brian Burton: Either make a sentient point, or put a fucking sock in it.

25. @RobN Of course there is a lot of specific advice needed by LGBT people. I just started writing some examples from my own life and suddenly realised there was quite a lot, but that I was going into much more intimate personal detail than I wanted. There are issues about different forms of partnership legislation, tax credits, parenting arrangements, wills, tax returns etc etc.

26. Tony: Can you please elaborate how a gay man differs from a single man’s tax, or civil partnerships differ from a common law marriage?
    I am sure everything you need to know is already out there in some form or another, and to wrap it in this PC nonsense is extravagant and unnecessary.

27. Mihangel apYrs 21 Jun 2009, 3:29pm

RobN
    A Civil Partnership definitely differs from a “common-law” marraige in the fact that the former is a legal relationship, while the latter doesn’t actually exist as a legal entity.

However a gay man with a partner (not a CP) will still be treated as mutually dependant for benefit purposes (as unmarried couples are). And because CPs are a new invention I imagine there’s a lot of law to test

28. JulianinLondon 21 Jun 2009, 3:50pm

I am gay. I have just enetered into a civil partnership. I have no idea of the tax implications. So, yes, this is helpful. Why would anyone object to something so eminently sensible?

29. Eddy, near the top. I could not agree with you more. There are too, too many young gay people who quite wrongly think they are completely protected, and yet they are not. My thoughts go to those who knew your friend who passed away.

Please don’t respond to RobN, he is a nasty wee homophobe, hiding in the closet. It is impossible to reason with him, whilst he fights his sexual identity. He gets a kick from those who reply to him.

As regards the tax advice, I cannot see what the problem is, I just wish I could get a copy, without having to travel to London pride in order to do so.

Those complaining are simply using this as a flimsy cover for their rampant homophobia. Why is giving tax advice politically correct??? I cannot fathom it at all.

30. @RobN
    Civil partnership differs greatly from common-law-marriage. With civil partnership your partner can inherit from you without paying tax, but in a common-law-marriage the inheritance is zapped by death tax. Also as a civil partner if you are unemployed you cannot claim dole if your partner is working. These are just two examples, but the list is long.

Civil partnership is nothing like common-law-mariage- which has no real legal standing. It is far more like civil marriage.

There are lots of ways in which gay people might need different tax advice. I can claim over £1000 a year against tax for childcare- how does this work as a gay co-parent? I have no idea. I will have to find out if my babymother and her wife can both claim the same or if the amount is limited per child. All three of us are legally entitled to certain parental benefits so how does this translate into tax. That is just one example of many.

31. Tony: Thank you for that explanation. However, social benefits, dole, support etc are not the remit of the Inland Revenue. I realise there are differences, and it’s appreciated you can explain that, but going on the original thread, are there spcific differences in tax law between gay and straight people?

J Mathews: You wish you could get a copy, yet you state “Tax advice for gay people is different, for many reasons, and so it makes sense to do this.” – Either you do understand it, or you don’t.

As for me being a closeted wee homophobe fighting his sexual identity, you really do talk utter shite. I have been quite out and open for many years, had numerous partners, and have absolutely no problem with my sexuality. However, I have serious problems with arsewipes like you. You have “victim” tattooed on your forehead, a chip on your shoulder, and your brains in your bollocks. Anyone that criticises you is automatically homophobic. Maybe I just can’t stand twats. Is there such a thing as “twatophobic”? Or is that equally socially unacceptable?

32. Now Now Boys – J Mathews and RobN – it doesn’t help the greater good of our world or equality of opportunity exchanging insults. You may not agree with each of other’s point of view but that is fine, it would be a very dull world if there were just one opinion. For goodness sake accept that others will think differently and celebrate the fact that in this country we can express these differences – it is a luxury those in many countries like Iran cannot do openly right now. RobN is clearly not a homophobe and has every right to express his views and likewise so does J Mathews – some will agree with one and some the other but torrents of abuse help none of us, so lets raise the level of discussion out of the gutter and be civil to one another.

33. Comment 18 to this post, from the poster ‘Zotova’, reads as follows
    Let me say, Zotova, that homosexuality is not a habit – it is what we are and what we are made, we did not choose to be gay. We are gay, and were born this way. Secondly, our sexuality is not a sickness nor is it a disease, nor is it, as you state, a ‘gender identity disorder’. Our homosexuality is, simply, part of the vast panoply of difference within our species: some of us humans have dark skins, some of us have light skins, some of us are female, some of us are male, some of us have dark hair, some of us have light hair, some of us have green eyes and some of us have brown eyes. Some of us are inclined to be conservative (note the lower case ‘c’) and some of us are inclined to be leftist (note the small ‘l’). Some of us humans like the ocean and some don’t. Some like and appreciate modern art and some don’t. Some of us are gay and some aren’t. Being gay, or being straight, is just a natural part of being human.

Being gay, or straight, does no harm to a person’s life nor does it do any harm to society unless people like you let it do harm by twisting your loving relationships into hatred and falsehood by deliberately denying that people can be different, are allowed to be different, in every respect. I suggest that you examine the harm that you do by your petty and ill-considered calumnies against gay people.

Your desperate attempt to divide gay people into two groups – ‘homosexual activists’ and, presumably, the ‘habit’ ridden others who merely follow our lead – is silly and illogical. There is absolutely no evidence that we who are the ‘homosexual activists’ of your wild and silly imaginings, that you decry, do any harm whatsoever, but there is ample evidence that you, and people like you, destroy lives and relationships and cause great harm and great hurts – but, of course, you would deny that, for you, and others like you, deny that you can cause pain. What is much worse is that you, and your cohorts, deny that we gay people can feel pain – you, and people like you, don’t just see us as other, as different but the same, you see us in some sense as non-human. That is what I find most worrying about your reply on this thread – the sense that you view gay people as being somehow not human.

Finally, we do not inflict harm upon our societies – upon your societies. You, and others like you, merely assume that we do because you have a completely irrational hatred of difference. Our caring societies move on and improve themselves and accept, despite your denial, that partnerships, that sexual relationships of all sorts, have to be included in the body legal and the body politic – that all of us, no matter how we love, have to pay our taxes and serve our countries and get some form of recognition in return.

Homosexuality is not a sickness – it is a natural part of being human. It is part of what we, us humans, are. The sickness, the real sickness, the sickness which you so copiously demonstrate, is the denial of our infinite diversity as a species. The sickness, the real sickness, is the silly assertion which you make that everything is allowed to have many different meanings and expressions and ways of being and doing, but human sexuality must not, is not, allowed to have that right.

I’m reminded, irresistibly, of the old joke:

A researcher bursts into his supervisor’s office. “I’ve just ascertained, by experiment, that there are one hundred different ways of having sex,” he loudly asserts.

“Nonsense,” replies the supervisor, “There is only one way of having sex – the man on top of the woman,!”

“One hundred and one!” the researcher immediately exclaims.

You’re stuck at the one hundred and incapable of moving to the one hundred and one, ‘Zotova’. You start from the false premise that homosexuality equals sin and then you go on from there. You don’t have any real understanding of human sexuality and you deny any sense of the science which underpins our understanding of sex and sexuality. Your ignorance is profound, staggeringly so, and your willingness to insult, to denigrate and belittle the life experience of others, is quite unbelievable.

You hate – simply because you hate. May I ask who taught you to hate as you do? May I ask, further, can you free yourself from such hate? Can you do it? Can you learn to love? Can you learn to see our society as a society of differences that co-operate? But, most importantly of all, can you learn to love?

Can you learn, ‘Zotova’, to love?

34. Yes, I agree with Thomas at comment 32. Let us be civil, for Heaven’s sake!

35. Thomas: “It doesn’t help the greater good of our world or equality of opportunity exchanging insults.”

That is, assuming I give a flying toss about either.
    If the man gives me abuse, I give him stick in return. If he said that to me face to face, I would have decked him. Simple technique that works every time.

36. Brian Burton 22 Jun 2009, 9:39am

RobN,

Don’t SCUMBAGS like you talk Big? That’s because you have a very small mind!

37. Quote from the ever caring RobN;

” I have serious problems with arsewipes like you. You have “victim” tattooed on your forehead, a chip on your shoulder, and your brains in your bollocks. Anyone that criticises you is automatically homophobic. Maybe I just can’t stand twats. Is there such a thing as “twatophobic”? Or is that equally socially unacceptable?”

Oh, dear RobN, it strikes me you just have problems. period.

Keep shouting, and we all see you for the complete fraud you are. You post homophobic bilge on this site all the time, thinking you are so clever, that nobody can see through what you do, pretending it is just political correctness you don’t like.

If you are gay, then I am his holiness the pope.

38. “I would have decked him. Simple technique that works every time” wrote RobN.

We’ve quite a picture of this individual now after months and months of bilge. Now we know he’s a thug. “Decking” people is thug-talk.

39. J Mathews: “You post homophobic bilge on this site all the time”
    Your Holiness, please let me elaborate.
    Like I said, you see anyone that criticises the “party line” of left-wing, PC poofs as homophobic. I have no problem with gay sex or sexuality. I just don’t like the attitude of most of the people that practice it.

Eddy: I see you’ve decided to stick your head above the parapet after many weeks absence just to do your usual wave of mudslinging and insults; Are you finished yet? Please f–k off again for a few more months. Your input is pointless anyway.

40. No, RobN, it is not that I have dared to stick my head above the parapet, as you put it, it is, instead, that I, unlike you, have a wonderful and integrated life and do not always have time to visit this site.

Unlike you I am not a homophobic nerd or self-hating gay, whichever one of those you are, sitting forever at his monitor spitting hatred at the progress of gay liberation as documented in Pink News.