Ricky Martin comes out as bisexual

1. maccoinnich 19 Jun 2009, 12:37pm

Shocking!

He’s interested in women too?

2. Ah well. Almost there. He’s told half the story. How long before we get the rest?

3. Simon Murphy 19 Jun 2009, 2:55pm

He’s about as bisexual as I am ie not at all.

He’s as gay as christmas.

Still though. Congratulations on those 1st baby steps out of the closet.

4. I thought he had come out already, but that must just have been because it was so widely known. It must be one of worst kept secrets ever! I am also surprised that he would suggest that he might be bisexual. Ah well. I hope it all gives his career a nice boost. I’m not particularly into his music, but it is great to have another public figure who is a gay dad.

5. It seems he is the last to know this about himself, heh.

6. THAT IS OLD NEWS – I ALREADY KNEW FEW YEARS AGO

KEEP UP FOR GODS SAKE!

7. Simon Murphy 19 Jun 2009, 3:53pm

About 5 years ago there were pictures splashed all over the US tabloids of Ricky and his boyfriend on the beach. I think this may be the 1st time he’s stated the obvious though ie that he’s not averse to a bit of bumlove!

8. I heard a rumour about this before. Actually, while I’m here could someone confirm another one I heard about where bears go to the toilet?

9. Bisexual = gay, but not offending female fans

10. Monkeychops 19 Jun 2009, 5:36pm

It’s his choice, he doesn’t have to come out as anything (bi or gay) if he doesn’t want to. Everyone on here saying “oh I knew before” – did you? I mean, did you sleep with him? Did you have confirmation that way? It’s just hearsay that’s been running around. Like with John Travolta and Tom Cruise. No wonder they don’t want to come out when people are speculating and putting so much pressure on them. Have you all forgotten what’ it’s like to ribbed at school about being gay before you were ready to go public? This is tantamount to bullying. Though I agree it’s better for him if he does and I doubt anyone would stop buying his records (is he still making any?), didn’t hinder George Michael (despite the fact he then went on to crash his car while off his face on ganj). People do look up to celebrities as role models, but is Ricky Martin really a role model? Has he changed the world in a particularly inspirational way? He’s just a singer and his private life isn’t really anyone else’s business. We’re all entitled to a private life.

11. Brian Burton 19 Jun 2009, 6:44pm

Frankly, I’ve never heard of him, So, I do’nt give A Monkeychoppppppppppp!

12. Monkeychops 20 Jun 2009, 1:23am

Bri – I’m starting to get the impression you have an obsession with my name…..

13. stephen powell 20 Jun 2009, 3:14am

as for john travolta, i have seen the fotos of him and a former lover of mine. they were in underwear, and naked and kissing. besides when he was in toronto making hairspray, he was kicked out of a local hotel for coming on to male guests in the hotel sauna there is also a foto of him kisses a guest of his onset at the same time that he was making said film. it is not rumour, it is fact with respect to john, my ex’s ex his a friend i have seen the the fotos, i have seen the letters between them. if it barks, eats its vomit and licks itself chances are dog rather than cat… meow

14. SuzyfromTexas 20 Jun 2009, 4:49am

I’m glad that Ricky is finally able to reveal his sexuality. He will probably be much happier now. I imagine that we will see pictures of him with his male lover any time now. However, when he was photographed on the beach with another male, the other guy is his half brother Eric, not his lover.

15. Brian Burton 20 Jun 2009, 7:49am

MONKEYCHOPS,

Don’t be silly. My point is: How can you expect anyone on these threads to take seriously, views of someone called Monkeychops. The name is so illiterate and crass (nothing personal you understand!) and this is why I can’t take your views seriously.

16. Monkeychops 20 Jun 2009, 8:33am

Bri – Very superficial to judge someone on their name rather than the content of their writings. “Brian” conjures up visions of old northern men with paunches and flatcaps, but it’s just a name. Hence it’s you that shouldn’t be taken seriously.

17. Come on folks… let’s try and get through just one thread without it turning into a personal slanging match ;)
    And I have to agree with all those who said this is the least surprising outing since Liberace. We may not have said it out loud but I’ll wager we were all thinking it.
    @ Simon – From my observations, bears go to the toilet at the Rembrandt Hotel on Canal St (amongst other places):D

18. why is it when a man said he is bisexual some of you always say no he gay but when a women said they are bisexual you guys aint got damn to say about it…. guess thats why women are more comfortable coming on to other women infront of so many men… and dont feel the need to hide that they like women too…. this double stardard is crazy!!!

19. Gay as Christmas Knickers.

20. Comment number 18 was not made by me. Is someone copying my name ot are there two tonys?

21. Tony(20): (Well it’s not the most unusual of names – try something even slightly unique.

Tony(18):I don’t get any of this ‘double standard’ you refer to.
    If someone, (male or female), says they are bisexual, I just snigger under my breathe and wait six months. It’s just fence sitting, often due to other people’s interest. If you are gay and say you are gay, you have burnt your bridges; but if you are gay and say you are bisexual, if you are seen with someone of the same sex, people just think “It’s a phase” and dismiss it.

22. What a lot of B…S…!!! It’s entirely his business what he does in his bedroom and with whom … and if any of us commentators had a life we wouldn’t be here peeping, prying and promulgating the myth. It’s his life we are commenting on because ours are so insipid!!!

23. Hes gay…. hes just trying to keep his female fans happy also….come on rick the closet doors only half opened…..dont leave it half closed.

24. Matthew - London 22 Jun 2009, 9:50am

what a load of tosh. i hate Pink News. If you read the full story in real news site it goes onto say that he has never been sexually attracted to a man!

25. Why do so many of the gays have such a problem with the bis?? I don’t get it – people have been telling us [gays] for years that we are un-natural and wrong and some just refuse to believe we exist. We have come so far since the stonewall Riots, but reading this thread you would never have guessed it! It’s not about in-house fighting!!
    If someone is bisexual they are bisexual. Why can’t you get that?

RobN: “Bisexuality is a myth. I’m not saying there aren’t varying shades of grey, and very few people are totally gay or totally straight, but only the greedy or confused ones dabble, everyone falls one side of the fence or the other sooner or later.”

Like seriously, do you actually agree with what you have said? You sound almost as bigoted as the religious far right! Do you have any idea how offensive it is to attack someones bisexuality as ‘greedy’ or ‘confused’; its small minded biphobic gays like you that are stopping the LGBTIQA [got to include them all! ;) ] community from reaching global equality and access to basic human rights! I mean obviously, you must think your own homosexuality to be an abhorrent perversion of the greatest magnitude to be so full of hate you have to drag the bis down with you! – Besides, sexuality is totally irrelevant anyway! A social construct to further maintain the gender bianary that has served us so well over the centuries – but thats a conversation on a completely different theme…

Stop fighting with your brothers and sisters, we are all on the same side!!

And as for the Ricky Martin ‘news’ – is it? I mean do I care? I don’t care if he is gay, straight, bi, trans, inter, queer or whatever!! It’s not like we have a right to know anyway… give the man some privacy!

26. Why do so many of the gays have such a problem with the bis?? I don’t get it – people have been telling us [gays] for years that we are un-natural and wrong and some just refuse to believe we exist. We have come so far since the stonewall Riots, but reading this thread you would never have guessed it! It’s not about in-house fighting!!
    If someone is bisexual they are bisexual. Why can’t you get that?

Like seriously, do you actually agree with what you have said? You sound almost as bigoted as the religious far right! Do you have any idea how offensive it is to attack someone’s bisexuality as ‘greedy’ or ‘confused’; its small minded biphobic gays like you that are stopping the LGBTIQA [got to include them all! ;) ] community from reaching global equality and access to basic human rights! I mean obviously, you must think your own homosexuality to be an abhorrent perversion of the greatest magnitude to be so full of hate you have to drag the bis down with you! – Besides, sexuality is totally irrelevant anyway! A social construct to further maintain the gender binary that has served us so well over the centuries – but that’s a conversation on a completely different theme…

Stop fighting with your brothers and sisters, we are all on the same side!!

27. everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how stupid it is, for example I think bisexuals are filthy and that doing rude things to girls is against the order of nature, but what the heck its just an opinion, I just want Ricky to be gay because he is cute and stars in some of my phantasies !!!

28. @RobN That is a really offensive thing to say. Of course bisexuals exist. Yes it is true that some gay people use it as a stepping stone in coming out, but there are many people who are genuinely bisexaul. There is scientific research to back this up which shows that true bisexuality is rare among men, but does exist, while it is not at all uncommon among women. I know a few genuine bisexuals who have had hapy long-term relationships with people of both genders. The queer community doesn’t need infighting; we need to show each other support.

29. Brian Burton 23 Jun 2009, 10:08am

Who’s Ricky Martain again….?

30. Nazi bumhole eater 23 Jun 2009, 4:08pm

Ze are no bisexuals,ze are no straight people only ze gays. All people like to eat ze hairy bumhole if they are honest with themselves. Bumlove Vorld domination shall be ours!

31. Robert, ex-pat Brit 24 Jun 2009, 1:48pm

I’m of the opinion that bisexuality is more about sitting on the fence, people struggling to come to terms that they are actually gay. If Ricky is bi, then why did he use a surrogate mother which would imply in most cases using artificial insemination? Why couldn’t he have sex with a woman the natural way? Makes no sense. A lot of “bi” men especially marry a woman and even have kids in some instances just to hide their gay side, many can’t accept it, and most do not confide their other orientation to their “girlfriends” or wives. What an awful way to live but I suppose living a lie and deceiving others is okay. Some even vote against our equality. I’ve even met some so called “bi” men who claim that kissing and romance are reserved only for women.

32. The Rembrant Hotel on Canal St. Got it. Friday at midnight?

33. Monkeychops 25 Jun 2009, 7:36am

Rob-Ex Pat – Are you serious? The comment about bisexuals actually being gay, only they’re too scared to admit it? Every single, last one? Why would there even be a “B” in LGBT if it didn’t exist? Come on, seriously, do some homework first, talk to some bisexuals who are open about it. I just don’t understand your issues – why are you so convinced they are ALL just hiding? How narrow-minded of you! It sounds more like you have issues because bisexual guys may engage in gay practices but they’re straighter than you’ll ever be. Does that make you feel inferior? Because you can’t compete with them? Do something about it if so, rather than attacking people who are fighting for the same rights. Why do you feel the need to belittle them? No wonder there are so many bisexuals pretending to be straight when this is what they face! And yes, there are guys who just want sex with men but kissing and romance they prefer with women..what is so strange about that? Men and women have different qualities, it’s hardly surprising bisexuals might be interested in the parts that make each gender different.

Maybe Ricky had a surrogate because a)he’s currently with a man and therefore cannot reproduce directly, b)he’s not with anyone at all and wanted to have a child or c) women he’s been with didn’t want to have kids yet etc etc. There could be a thousand reasons. Him being gay and not bisexual is just one of many possibilities. But it’s his life. And no wonder, if he is bisexual, with guys like you trying to tell him what he really is and that he just can’t accept it, he’ll just keep it hidden forever.

This is not constructive.

34. offs what’s this with people saying bi’s are just hiding & that they’re really gay grow up will you,some people ARE genuinely bi some are gay some are straight (I myself am straight btw, just found a link to this while looking for stuff on Ricky )

I accept there are gays, bi’s & those who are confused try to accept it’s NOT all black & white!

And as for those stating Ricky has done nothing for humanity I beg to differ if you do your research you will see he does an awful LOT for charities including the sabera foundation, he also helped to drag dead bodies out of the water after the tsunami & he is doing a lot of charity work to help raise awareness of child trafficking so stick that in your pipe & smoke it smartasses.

Learn the facts before you slag someone off & say they’re “just” a popstar & fyi he does still do music, his new album is set for release next year, his last one was in 2005 & he toured for 2 & a half solid years until a few months before the twins were born!

So he’s hardly a hasbeen!!!

also fyi he got a star on the walk of fame last year too!