Christian ‘civil liberties’ group wants to burn gay book

1. They want to burn books do they; first and last resort of dictators and tyrants! How would they feel if Gay people burnt bibles!!!

2. Monkeychops 17 Jun 2009, 2:47pm

Let them burn them – as long as they pay for it first. And after they have been reminded that it will contribute to higher carbon dioxide levels. We had a whole collection of bibles given out free at school by the Gideons, which doubled up nicely for wrapping glassware when we moved house. You can make a resource from anything, it seems.

3. Evidently these people have either never heard of Adolf Hitler or have pin-ups of him on their walls.

4. theotherone 17 Jun 2009, 3:12pm

defending civil liberties by undermining them?

Freedom through censorship!

Morons, pond scum…

5. Simon Murphy 17 Jun 2009, 3:19pm

Let them burn them – so long as they’ve paid for them. They have no cause to complain then when people start burning bibles.

6. Monkeychops 17 Jun 2009, 3:21pm

Oi, that’s what I said, copycat ;)

7. They make this book sound so interesting – I just bought a copy! :)

8. @Monkeychops, Re: wrapping glassware
    LOL, you irreverent you. You and your glassware will end up in hell now…

9. And they call themselves land of the free?

But if this book should be banned and burnt then so should the bible and any other religious text of a bigoted nature.

10. Just bought a copy from Amazon for .01p plus pp to see what all the fuss was about. An an old fart of a gay activist this is the reason why I am against Pride these days with the loss of activism as the freedom and rights enjoyed today is under threat from these religious fundamentalists.

11. Brian Burton 17 Jun 2009, 3:38pm

You confounded BLOCKHEADS, NO Book of any Kind should Burn, Not one Page. Set the Soul of Man on Fire, You Cretins. To burn any work of Literature is a sacrifice to Mans utter stupidity.

12. Monkeychops 17 Jun 2009, 3:39pm

@Valerio – It may be hell, but it will contain the finest drinking recepticles that the devil has ever sipped from. Now where’s my bottle of Bollinger gone?

13. Bless you Derick for all your old fart activism over the years. But I still think we should support Pride. One should never underestimate the power of visibility and that visibility is of itself activism in the positive ‘We are here’ message for a lot of struggling young – and not so young – people.

14. Har Davids 17 Jun 2009, 4:09pm

The plaintiff’s mental and emotional well-being was damaged a long time ago, when people started to fill their brains with religious bull-shit. And if burning a book is not a hate-crime: look what happened in Germany some seventy years ago, and what followed afterwards.

15. Christians used to be burnt as they were found offensive. It could be time for a revival…

16. Monkeychops: “We had a whole collection of bibles given out free at school by the Gideons, which doubled up nicely for wrapping glassware when we moved house.”

What were you wrapping? Shot glasses? ;)

17. As soon as someone starts talking about book burning, you KNOW they’ve got a screw lose.

18. “They make this book sound so interesting – I just bought a copy!” Me too :o)
    Give these idiots a copy of Fahrenheit 451 – on the other hand, don’t bother, they’d probably burn it because Vonnegut was a humanist.

19. …and for Goddess sake don’t tell them about ‘Witch Baby’ lol

20. The English student that still resides in me (six years after university) is horrified at the burning of any book, even a horrible one. I mean, I wouldn’t even have Mein Kampf or Ann Coulter’s drivel burned, despite being a member of the Politically Correct Brigade. Plus, it’s a waste of paper.

21. Christian Fundamentalists – A strategic promotional strategy.

1. Promote anything that is slightly anti-Christian or gay
    2. Send then a copy
    3. Wait for them to be offend
    4. Reap the unrelenting publicity and sales
    5, Do not worry about the law suits, the sales will cover this and still leave you with a profit

Market the CFR way – Christian Fundamentalists Rantings

The new good news for marketing gay businesses everywhere

22. Terry Floyd Johnson 17 Jun 2009, 6:32pm

These people are anti-christians for they live, breathe and dish out hate, and to ask for damages against a book, they want to burn is acinine.

It would be better to have them go into a lab for mental adjustment..I’m sure they wouldn’t like that…this is the same of wanting to burn a book, which is symbolic, of the Inquistion right to burn people not books…these people are more than hatemongers, they are potential criminials, by their own actions.

23. “Where they burn books, so too will they in the end burn human beings.” Heinrich Heine

24. Sounds great, let them burn their books. The author is protected by the First Amendment, and the American constitution makes no provision for hurt feelings. So these senile gentlemen are losing their savings as well as their marbles.

The First AMendment also allows them to burn books – all they need to do is buy their own copy, take it home, and put it on the fire. What’s the problem?

It would be nice to have the address of their legal team, to whom we can send burnt Bible pages to, though.

25. This week they burn books they don’t like …. next week they burn people they don’t agree with!!!!
    No doubt they thought the Nazis were nice God-fearing people!!!!!

I wouldn’t insult pond scum by making a comparison!

26. Ahh, now there’s the true colours showing through. Nothing like would-be fascists showing their real identities with a good book-burning session. So they were offended by the book being in their local library were they eh? Does that mean I can take any texts with a remotely anti-gay stance from my library and burn them too? No, I didn’t think so, but nor would I want to.

27. Boi Polloi 17 Jun 2009, 9:25pm

I look forward to seeing this complaint laughed out of court.

28. Those who burn books, will burn people.

29. Burn Burn Burn

Let the books burn

Let every one see how ridulous, paranoid and extreme these people are

30. “Those who burn books, will burn people.”

In the case of christian, Sammy, they want to go back to being able to freely burn people. They did it many times before in the name of god. The Spanish Inquisition was the “Belle Époque” of christianity.

31. I urge everyone who cares about freedom of speech to buy a copy of this book. Go to your library, and ask them to get it. If you have lots of money, buy a hundred copies.

Around the world there is child slavery, child murder, rape and torture, a large portion of the world dies of starvation every day of every week. A large percentage of america lives in abject poverty and has no healthcare, and all these d*ck headed religious extremists can do is squander money going to court because of a work of fiction.

These relicious fascists are d*ckheads of the worst kind. Myabe they need to fully study the rise of fascism in Pre-Nazi Germany.

Burn books, and you burn humanity. Fools.

32. The great library of Alexandria was “Accidentally” burnt down by the Romans during the Roman Civil War 48 BC. Academics have mused that this dreadful event set human civilisation back several centuries because of all the lost knowledge and thoughts contained within. as far as I am concerned Libraries should be treated with as much (if not more) respect than religious buildings; they are in fact temples to knowledge and the human spirit; so LEAVE THE BOOKS ALONE!!!!!!

33. Brian Burton 18 Jun 2009, 10:52am

J Mathews, Mike.

You two are just about the only ones who can see sence and speak it. Only mindless cretins would advocate burning books. We would all be the poorer fof lack of Literature of any kind.

34. Monkeychops 18 Jun 2009, 11:01am

They can burn what they like as long as they buy it. It’s their copy. Just as much as it’s my right to buy a bible or Koran and burn that. However, the ludicrous thing is that burning a book, especially in this day and age, is absolutely pointless when everything is online and easy to procure in one way or another. Burning a copy won’t stop people getting hold of the other thousands or however many copies. I wouldn’t even find it symbolic, just a waste of paper. I feel the same about burning flags – pointless and wasteful. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, if they managed to get a court injunction to censor/prohibit the book, that’s something else – that is curbing freedom of speech and expression. Everyone should get on their feet to oppose it. Until then, let them get on with it and pay little attention to something that is, quite simply, not going to achieve anything.

35. theotherone 18 Jun 2009, 11:29am

Lilith:

as Vonnegut sasid: (I hope I quote this corectly) ‘regardless of what anyone tells you we where put on this earth to dick adound.’

Kind of puts book burning into perspective…

As to the individual who said no books should be burned: you, sir, have my wholesale agrement and respect.

36. Brian Burton 18 Jun 2009, 5:38pm

Monkeychops,
    You are what you say you are, But a brainless Monkey to boot!

37. Remember when all those hate-filled parents tried to ban King&King???? Same thing here. I used to own a gay and lesbian bookstore and still have a few copies of this book and others by this same author. If all those people claim mental stress at having the book in the library, well perhaps, they shouldn’t make their way to the gay section,,,duh.

38. By the way, I would not advocate burning the bible. I would not burn the Koran, Mein Kampf or the Communist manifesto even though I do not agree with any of them; they are human thoughts, albiet ones many people disagree with. People have a right to decide to read these books and draw their own conclusions. Many people have rerad them and thought exactly the opposite of the authors at the end of them (and I wouldn’t even burn a Mills & Boon; we all need our fantasies ;-0)

39. Tiglathpileser 20 Jun 2009, 7:29am

[Now, if they managed to get a court injunction to censor/prohibit the book, that’s something else – that is curbing freedom of speech and expression. Everyone should get on their feet to oppose it. Until then,]

Does that mean you will oppose the homo in Canada who objected to a Christian Minister posting on his blog his thoughts on homosexuality as recorded in the Bilble and after reading it complained to the Human Rights Commision and said that he felt vilified and distraught as a result. The Commission jailed the Minister and told him he was not to say anything ever again about homosexuality.

Of course the Commision did not ask the homo how he was vilified or made distraught. Don’t you think that is the curtailment of freedom of speech and a miscarriage of justice inasmuch as the complainant did not have to prove anything?

40. Mihangel apYrs 21 Jun 2009, 9:04am

I’m assuming, Tiglathpilser, that you know how offensive the term “homo” is?

As I haven’t seen the evidence in the case you quote I can’t comment on it. I can however say that hate speech differs from a story that offends merely because it offers a positive view of homosexuality rather than the spitefulview many Xians have of it (“abomination” isn’t a nice word even if you make your god use it!)

41. “Does that mean you will oppose the homo in Canada who objected to a Christian Minister posting on his blog his thoughts on homosexuality as recorded in the Bible”

42. Jesus of Nazareth 22 Jun 2009, 8:45am

Yup, same old homophobes at it again. Sick in their f**king head. Here in American we need to first fight religious terrorism here at home, and worry about it elsewhere later.

Oh yes, btw, I did actually find a bible in the street a month ago, virtually brand new. I have the perfect use for it. It is kept in the bathroom, not for reading, but for when the mood strikes me to send these christian taliban a messsage.

And as soon as I figure out how to edit videos, I will put this books fate up on youtube.

If Mary had only had a coathanger to undo what a roman soldier did to her against her will. In those days, the Jews were a vicious group (Ps I am actually Jewish) – a woman not a virgin on her wedding day would get taken to the house of her father and stoned to death. BTW, if you Brits have most likely heard of the homophobic Palin bible thumper and her whore daughter, I am waiting ms palin, for you to stone your daughter to death. It’s in the bible dearie

But this crazy biz by the christian freakouts (yes there are lots of really good christians btw) shows that they realize they are losing the battle. To hell with them. Give them to the Afghan Taliban for the Taliban pleasure. It would be a fitting end.

And lets make sure that whenever we run into youth who think they are or may be gay, – I often talk to such kids at pride events, be sure to tell them that they are all part of God’s creation and there is nothing wrong with being gay, except in the minds of the religious nazis, many of whom belong to the church headed by a guy named NAZInger (oops Ratzinger). Seig Hiel, Mein Churchfuhrer. I suggest you buy yourself a fire resistant suit for when you meet your maker.

43. Tiglathpileser 23 Jun 2009, 6:26am

[1.I’m assuming, Tiglathpilser, that you know how offensive the term “homo” is?]

And I assume that you know how offensive everything is to homos if you don’t agree with them which only reinforces the fact that central to their problems is rejection.

[As I haven’t seen the evidence in the case you quote I can’t comment on it.]

Surprise, surprise!! I thought homos knew everything.

[I can however say that hate speech differs from a story that offends merely because it offers a positive view of homosexuality rather than the spitefulview many Xians have of it (“abomination” isn’t a nice word even if you make your god use it!)]

I didn’t make my God use it. He chose it himself.

[It means we will oppose, as any rational thinking and evolved person would, the use of the bible as a means to oppose scientific knowledge, human rights, or the freedoms of another.]

But not if they don’t agree with your demands obviously. Or in other words, we believe in freedom of speech for everyone who agrees with us and gives in to all our demands.

44. “The plaintiffs, all of whom are elderly, claim their mental and emotional well-being was damaged by this book at the library.”

My goodness they’re laying it on fairly thick. How exactly were they damaged by this book??