Bristol radio station censured by Ofcom over ‘hostile’ homophobic comments

1. What a black thing to say.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 8 Jun 2009, 6:14pm

And that means what exactly?

3. “Goodness knows what I would do if my sons turned round and told me they [are gay], I know what I would do but I won’t tell you on-air.”

That sounds frightening.

4. Vicki Morley 8 Jun 2009, 8:33pm

It’s one thing making such offensive comments on air, but at least LGBT listeners have the strength and resolve to know that the man is an idiot and ignore him.
    Who I really feel sorry for is any children/future children to that presenter. What a thing to say to your own flesh and blood.

5. Ian M Laughlin 8 Jun 2009, 9:19pm

I am pleased to note that Ujima Radio have dismissed the presenter in question. In fairness to them, they have also aired some programmes that have challenged homophobia within BME communities.

6. Pumpkin Pie 8 Jun 2009, 10:08pm

What a black thing to say.
    And that means what exactly?

I’m hoping Andrew Q was attempting a humourous take on the phrase “what a gay thing to say”, otherwise that ain’t a nice thing to say.

7. Sister Mary Clarence 8 Jun 2009, 11:11pm

Still not laughing Pumpkin whatever the reason, I’m afraid

8. yeah, i can only applaud Ujima Radio for their swift action in this case. it’s more than the BBC have ever done.

9. Sister Mary Clarence:

I presume Andrew is being satiricle, and pointing out that a group who have so offten been victimes of discrimination and predudis are hipocritical to then extend similar treatment to another group. The mechanism being imitating the common use of calling something gay as a derogatory turm, but replaicing ‘gay’ with the turm used to describe the group now doing the discrimination.

Your responce nicely illestrates that as an insult, ‘black’ is a totaly unacceptable turm, as it is racist languate, and so by satiricle extention that homophobic launguage is also unacceptable.

10. J Mathews 9 Jun 2009, 9:36am

The word ‘black’ is not racist. Context makes all the difference.

11. Pumpkin Pie 9 Jun 2009, 10:00am

Still not laughing Pumpkin whatever the reason, I’m afraid

Fair enough. T’was a bit crass, wasn’t it?

12. At least we now have a possible indication as to which radio station the 60,000 people who voted for the Fascist BNP in the South West are listening too!

…as we as gay people move one step nearer the gas chambers!

13. Anon – As Ian rightly pointed out, at least Ujima Radio have sacked the guy responsible, which is a far more robust response than we usually get from the BBC under similar circumstances.
    You can’t stop DJs from blurting bigoted things out on live radio, but you can make them think twice about ever doing it again.

14. “The Ofcom ruling found the programme in breach of the broadcasting code.”

It is refreshing to hear that Ofcom are abiding by its standards, and enforcing this when breached.

15. The black community hates gay people. Deal with it!

16. Sister Mary Clarence 9 Jun 2009, 5:56pm

I’m afraid ‘satire’ doesn’t always come across well in a room full of people that you don’t know. Poor old Pumpkin with his jokes is a good example, seldom funny, by never seems to stop him trying (he-he just kidding Pumpkin).

Could have been someone trying to be funny, or it could have been someone trotting out the stereotype of black people being homophobic. Hard to tell on an internet comments page, although Dan clearly feels perfectly justified in saying on the back of it that, “black community hates gay people”.

I’m a member of the black community and I don’t hate gay people. The black community is actually quite large, Dan, with all sorts of people, with all sorts of views. In the same way the white community is large with different views, but when Jonathon Ross starts making inappropriate humour, we don’t all start banging on about whites hating gays.

As has been pointed out the radio station ditched the presented, something not done by the BBC.

There is usually a bit more to someone than the colour of there skin

17. Sister Mary Clarence 9 Jun 2009, 5:56pm

oops – ‘their’ skin

18. I understand that the radio station ditched the presenter, and rightly so! The presenter clearly spoke with utter hate. Those comments were way beyond the usual and embarrassing. Only Iris Robinson, BNP or religious leaders come close!

What is it about the programming of that station that made the presenter even consider that it was ok to be that vicious towards gay people?

I’m justified in saying that the larger black community hates gay people because it’s true. Black culture is fabulously eclectic and has given us so much but it is, by and large, anti-gay: music, religious focus, black masculinity and street culture. Did you ever see ‘Batty Man’ with Stephen K. Amos, for example?

I absolutely agree with you that there is more to someone than the colour of their skin. Everybody is an individual and is judged so. However, strong cultural ties, particularly religious ones, run very deep ….

19. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDY GARLAND (1922-1969) !

20. Pumpkin Pie 10 Jun 2009, 11:25am

Ahaha, you card, you! ;)

It’s true, satire needs to be used carefully. If people are wondering whether it even was satire, as we are now, probably wasn’t a good idea.

21. Pumpkin Pie 11 Jun 2009, 5:25pm

Ya, I was wrong. Just saw a transphobic comment by Andrew Q in another comments thread. Turns out he is not a comedy mastermind, but is in fact a nasty piece of work.