Southwark votes in first openly gay mayor

1. Brian Burton 5 Jun 2009, 6:57pm

Why do we need a fanfair from Pink News or anyone else for that matter, to announce the elected ‘Gay Mayor’ or any Gay person in any position? Natural evolution is and has been taking place for generations. Anyway, well done Mr. Mayor. I hope all the very best of luck, for you and your Civil Partner consort.

2. dax ashworth 5 Jun 2009, 7:10pm

This is incredibly exciting news and am glad that this is being announced, it is important for all members of the LGBT community and their friends to see that we can all make great achievements and be popular. We are still in the early days of rights, protection and legislation and may this be the first of many occasions we can celebrate members of our community being open, out and succeeding.

There is no shame in announcing! We should be proud of this and am glad to hear that the mayor will be joining the Southwark Pride bus.

3. Mihangel apYrs 5 Jun 2009, 7:49pm

Brian:
    positive role models.

Unfortunately as it is, we need to show the world that we are not freaks

4. Clementine 5 Jun 2009, 8:30pm

I know this guy – he’s been bugger all use to our community – poorly informed, unsympathetic and unpersonable. I hope the job doesn’t involve much more than dressing up in silly clothes or – from what I’ve seen – he’ll not be much good.

5. Brian Burton, so why do you bother reading Pink News then? Why do you want to have Pink News in existence?

6. So there’ll be an even bigger explosion of gay clubs and the like in Southwark now, I guess! Southwark is gonna be the place to be!

7. Sister Mary Clarence 5 Jun 2009, 10:20pm

I’m with you Clemintine, I know Captain Hook all too well. It certainly isn’t ‘incredibly exciting news’ I’m afraid. There are anyone of a number of other gay councillors in Southwark that would be more positive role models.

As for your comments Jeano, re above, prepare yourself to be sorely disappointed.

8. Jeano, I guess you may well be right ‘cos unless this new mayor is a Bible-thumping right-wing fascist I expect he’ll be turning even more of a Southwark-blind-eye to all the sex-on-site clubs there already are in that particular part of London. I think we can look forward to even more hot Spaniards and Frenchies coming over here for hot weekends! :-)

9. We’ve had an openly trans Mayor in Cambridge and openly lesbian Mayor in, ah, Aberystwyth wasn’t it? But I can’t think of any openly bisexual politicians who’ve had the mayoral gong round their necks — anyone?

10. Jeff Hook 6 Jun 2009, 8:33pm

Wow I appear to have upset a few people in the past! Clementine and Sister Mary Clarence whoever you are hiding behind your pseudonym I apologise but lets move forward. If you can think of ways that I can use my year as Mayor of Southwark to help the LBGT Community contact me by email at my office at jeffrey.hook@southwark.gov.uk
    I am the civic lead for 280,000 Southwark residents, men and women of all ages, faiths and sexuality and happen to be gay. I used the opportunity to celebrate civil partnerships by making Alvin my consort (I was not allowed to name him Mayoress) . For our community I would have thought that was a positive but hey it takes all kinds to make a world.
    See you all at London Pride 2009.
    Regards
    Jeff

11. Clementine 6 Jun 2009, 10:18pm

To clarify: by ‘our community’ I meant that I’m from a Southwark neighbourhood and I’d be just as disgruntled if I was the butchest heterosexual in the borough. We want to be thoughtfully represented by local politicians. If we’re not, then the sexuality thing’s irrelevant.

12. I think I would rather live in Southwark than Doncaster. It appears that Doncaster have voted in a good old fashioned homophobe who is ‘threatening’ to cancel council funding for Doncaster Pride because he doesn’t like our sexuality being ‘advertised’. Is the phrase ‘english democrat’ becoming an oxymoron?

13. Clementine 6 Jun 2009, 10:27pm

Well, OK that does sound a bit worse.

14. Sister Mary Clarence 7 Jun 2009, 3:17am

Nothing personal councillor, just absolutely no faith whatsoever in you or your fellow LibDems to run the borough.

Nice of you to come on here and post though to be fair

15. Ah I see its a party political thing. During my year as Mayor I’m meant to be apolitical so I won’t engage in the rough and tumble of Southwark politics. I’m sure some of my colleagues would love to debate the issues I will point them to the site. The new Chair of Licensing is gay and would be responsible for looking at applications for more gay venues, notwithstanding I would be happy to cut the ribbon or the leather strap at an official opening.

16. Dear Jeff Hook, I really applaud you posting messages in this thread (if it is really you, of course) BUT (if it is really you) please be aware that there are some total nutters visiting this site and making absurd comments.

There are also a good number of gays posting here who clearly hate themselves and hate the progression of gay rights. There are also a lot of rabid Christian fundamentalists posting too, sometimes posing as gay men. There are also a number of mentally ill people too – people with various delusions.

So, Jeff, do treat the Comments sections here very lightly and don’t get at all upset by the fickle Comments fired off by shallow sad losers sitting at home behind the safety of their little machines.

That said, good for you for posting here (if it really is YOU!)

17. Jeff Hook 7 Jun 2009, 2:35pm

Hi Eddy
    Thanks for the heads up, it is I :). I’ve posted my official email address above so my comments can be ratified.
    Best Regards
    Jeff Hook

18. Bravo, Jeff! I wish I were a-living in Southwark! Congratulations to you.

19. Seek sexy lovers??
    I found a hot place where you can find your rich and sexy partners.
    Try your best to enjoy life ***** Se ek bi Com *****
    HOPE YOU CAN FIND YOUR LOVE

20. Sister Mary Clarence 8 Jun 2009, 3:06am

Mercifully you don’t Eddy, as the bile you exressed against everyone of the Muslim faith recently would probably jar somewhat with the relatively cohesive community we enjoy here. I’m guessing not something that the councillor (now mayor) would like to embroil himself in either I would have thought

21. To those reading the above comment posted by the self-styled “Sister Mary Clarence”, please note that it can be seen that various other users (who post messages which are sound, rounded, balanced and genuinely pro-gay-rights) have referred to this poster as “The Twisted Sister” and “Sinister Mary Clarence”.

“Sister Mary Clarence” has shown himself to be quite without integrity. He mouths off exceedingly rash statements for which he cannot then produce evidence.

22. Well done, and this is good and all that. But – I live in Southwark and I don’t remember a mayoral election. So I’m not sure when Mr Hook was elected, and the article does not really explain this.

Some clarification would be useful, please.

23. Jeffrey Hook 9 Jun 2009, 10:40am

Hi Adrian
    The Mayor is elected by members of teh council to serve for twelve months by a special council assembly held each May.

The Mayor upholds and promotes the purposes of the constitution.

The Mayor chairs the meetings of the council assembly so its business can be carried out efficiently with regard to the rights of all councillors and the interests of the community.

As first citizen of the borough the Mayor will represent Southwark at hundreds of civic, ceremonial and social engagements throughout the year including Southwark Civic Awards.

The Mayor also promotes public involvement in the council’s activities and attends civic and ceremonial functions.

It can thus be seen above I do not hold a executive role as such unlike the Mayor of Lewisham or the new Mayor of Doncaster but have all the fun jobs.

Trust that helps.
    Regards
    Jeff

24. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDY GARLAND (1922-1969) !

25. Hi Jeff, yes it does, thanks.

How refreshing to get the information from the horse’s mouth (as it were) rather than through a conduit which didn’t make such things clear. Good luck to you, and your fabulous robes.