Lady Gaga reveals she is bisexual but her boyfriends never want a threesome

1. Simon Murphy 4 Jun 2009, 11:37am

Another irrelevant, boring story of a heterosexual woman trying to titillate straight men by pretending to be bisexual. Tourism does not make you bisexual.

Here’s a plea to sexy, young female stars (and I’m thinking here of Megan Fox, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Pink etc etc etc). Unless you are in a same sex relationship (or at least have experienced a same-sex relationship longer than the duration of a same-sex kiss in front of a a straight male audience) then please shut the f*ck up about your ‘bisexuality’. It is boring, irrelevant and inspiration to no-one (except perhaps for particularly needy, boring people). Are these women really so insecure about their appeal as singers or actresses that they have to invent an imaginary bisexual side.

2. ‘ “They’re like ‘I don’t need to have a threesome. I’m happy with just you’.” ‘

I’m tempted to say something very rude about her and her name, but I’ll stick to STFU.
    Absolutely right, Simon Murphy. And your adjective ‘insecure’ is perfect. It’s another pathetic attempt to appeal to a male audience.

3. I agree with the first 2 comments, and I’ll also add: She’s lying on all points.

4. Pumpkin Pie 4 Jun 2009, 4:56pm

What the hell, guys? Awesome, stylish, inspirational, sexy people can’t be bisexual? I’m not the only one, you know! STFU back to you, my friends: STFU.

Normally, I would be defensive if faced with somebody trying to use sexuality in a cynical way, but Lady Gaga blatantly is bisexual. Should she be demure about it? She’s not our bloody PR lady. Some of us bisexuals ARE “sexually liberated”, you know – why should we have to reign in our behaviour just to avoid giving other bisexuals a bad name?

There’s a little saying I like to use on occasions like this:-
    “Bisexuals are not sluts. I am, but not because I’m bisexual.”

P.S.: Fair point about Katy Perry and Pink, but Megan Fox definitely sounded genuine to me.

5. Brian Burton 5 Jun 2009, 9:38am

AAAAHHH! I agree with Simon Murphy (Do I??) yea! yea! Indeed I do! I have never heard of or want to hear again these idiots jumping on the I’M BI band-waggon. Although Simon, I think RobN is a king-size pratt. But, ‘Are you voting BNP?’ is below the belt and, I would have thought, beneath Simon Murphy.

6. I’m surprised with all the biphobic comments on here. What a load of terrible, hate filed diatribes. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I expect it from The Sun not Pink News

7. I think they mean she is USING bisexuality to appeal to the male audience.

I don’t think they’re bashing bisexuality as such.

8. Pumpkin Pie 5 Jun 2009, 3:37pm

I totally understand what they mean, Lezabella, and I was trying to be humourous in my post, but there is a nasty unintended flip-side to such comments.

From what I know of Lady Gaga, she clearly is bisexual for real. Gaga is a very liberated person, from her sexuality to her delightful fashion sense – her “coming out” was not a cynical exploitation of sexuality, it just so happens to be sexy because that’s the way she does things. And let’s not forget that she was talking to Rolling Stone and not some seedy lads mag.

I do appreciate it when people stand up for us bismexual peeps, but the danger of over-zealous protection is that it creates an atmosphere where we feel like we’re expected to be respectable role models all the time and speak of our sexuality in dry language. That’s boring! Some of us just like to flirt and be silly. And someone so willing to challenge people’s perceptions as Lady Gaga is a fantastic role model. I, for one, am glad that she’s “part of the club”.

9. Lezabella 5 Jun 2009, 4:30pm

Thankyou for your reply….Pupmkin Pie! Oooh what a rhyme! :)

I adore Gaga, I had her album on repeat driving around Australia-love it.

But in all seriousness I agree she IS bisexual, and is herself no matter what.

But bring back Kate Bush that’s what I say lol

10. I do hope Simon’s as dismissive of people who come out as gay but say they’ve not had a same-sex encounter yet?

11. Simon Murphy 8 Jun 2009, 12:42pm

I’m not bashing bisexual people. I’m bashing people who claim to be bisexual but are NEVER seen with a same sex partner and who never seem to be in a same sex relationship and who only seem to be ‘bisexual’ when promoting their careers. Pumpkin Pie – you claim that Gaga is ‘clearly bisexual’. Why? She claims to be bisexual but then says that ‘none of her boyfriends ever want a 3-some.’

Interesting that ‘bisexual’ Gaga associates bisexuality mainly with 3-somes. None of this ‘I love the person, not their gender’ for Gaga. For her bisexuality is about 3-somes. For sure some bisexuals have 3-somes but it is interesting that in Gaga’s so-called ‘coming out’ interview she merely panders to the old cliche about bisexuals being sluts.

As for other notable ‘bisexuals’ – namely Megan Fox; Katy Perry, Pink, Lily Allen etc etc – just how many of them have EVER been in a same sex relationship? Considering that their heterosexual relationships are splashed all over the papers you’d think their same sex relationships would enjoy the same treatment as Lindsay Lohan’s relationship.

12. Simon Murphy 8 Jun 2009, 12:45pm

And Jen no – I am not as dismissive of people who come out as gay but say they’ve not had a same sex relationship yet. Usually because those people don’t come out in lads mags; wearing no clothes while promoting their new album. In other words it’s not a blatantly cynical career move.

13. Pumpkin Pie 10 Jun 2009, 1:17pm

Simon:-

The only way she could possibly out herself without “promoting her career” would be via something like Twitter. I don’t know about you, but if I was a pop-star with an ambiguous sexuality, I’d certainly rather address the issue in one of the most famous pop culture magazines in the entire world, rather than meekly whispering it on a micro-blogging site.

As for her being “clearly bisexual”, I just always got that vibe from her songs and acts. She’s also a very open person who isn’t bothered by taboos, and is always herself no matter what others think and no matter how mainstream culture thinks she should act or dress. So, if she says she is, I have no reason not to believe her.

Then, we’ve got the fact that bisexuals come in a range of flavours. Not everyone’s attracted to men and women equally. Some don’t see gender as a factor and others do, in that they specifically like different things about either sex. Heteronormativity is a huge deal. One of my best pals is a bisexual woman in her mid-twenties. Since I’ve known her, she’s only ever had occasional sexual flings with women, but has always sought serious relationships only with men (and is now married to one). Apparently, it’s because her same-sex relationships always ended up being really competitive and bitchy – she needed that gender barrier for a relationship to work, some of that good ol’ yin and yang. Not being a competitive businesswoman like my friend, I doubt Gaga has exactly this problem. Thing is, there’s plenty of other things that could not be to her liking. Being sexually attracted to a certain type of person, but not liking the dynamics such a relationship would present is perfectly understandable.

Another issue is age. I don’t know about those other women, but I have read that Megan Fox apparently has tried dating another woman before. She’s about the same age as me – that’s more than I’ve done! My record as a similarly aged bisexual male is – girls: not a whole lot; boys: zero. Alright, the problem with me is that I’ve only fully accepted my bisexuality for about 2 years now, and these last two years have been a rough time in which I haven’t had the time to date anyone. I’m not the only one, though – it’s very difficult to get used to the concept of liking both men AND women. I’ve always been very accepting of sexuality, so I had no problem with being bisexual, it’s just that I was genuinely confused as to whether I was or not. I definitely want to pursue relationships with other guys, but for some people it’s so much easier to stick to what they know, especially if the alternative doesn’t work exactly the way they like it. Hey, and let’s not forget the fact that it will always be FAR easier (and, for people who don’t even recognise sex, more likely) for a bisexual person to hook up with someone of the opposite gender just based on the sheer likelihood of bumping into a straight person rather than a gay/bi person.

As for threesomes, if Lady Gaga is only romantically interested in women in a sexual sense, then that sounds like a sensible idea. I don’t think she’s saying that that’s the only way she’d sleep with women. I think she is in fact commenting on exactly the cliche you’re talking about: “guys love girl-on-girl action, I like girls, so why the hell aren’t they happy for me to bring along a playmate?”. She makes an interesting point: that when such fantasies become reality, the men whose fantasies they were no longer have control. Just because she admits she likes threesomes doesn’t mean she’s pandering for attention.

Likewise, name one thing she does that ISN’T sexy. This girl’s had a career in burlesque and go-go dancing. She LOVES sex and sexuality, and is very open and proud about it. I very much admire her for that, in fact. The only reason her coming out looks so sexual is because SHE is sexual. Frankly, I’d be very, very suspicious that something was going on if she came out in a magazine that didn’t feature her wearing kinky outfits or showing some flesh.