US President Barack Obama proclaims June to be LGBT Pride Month

1. Robert, ex-pat Brit 2 Jun 2009, 2:50pm

Obama is disengenous when he states he supports full equality for LGBT people in America. He does NOT. He is opposed to full marriage equality as he sees six states now allowing same-sex couples to marry and three more on the way. He advocates for civil unions (partnerships), legal segregation that was abolished during the 60s by the Warren court when it ruled that “separate is not equal”, when African-Americans were denied full citizenship, couldn’t marry someone of another race, never had the right vote and were restricted in some states where they could live, eat and work. Ironic that an African American is in the White House espousing segregation for LGBT citizens. Absolutely disgusting and nothing more than reversed discrimination.

2. Robert, ex-pat Brit 2 Jun 2009, 2:51pm

Excuse me, I meant to have said….”never had the right to vote” in the sixth sentence, my apologies.

3. What a pity you feel that way, Robert. I’m pleased to have the US President and the Secretary of State on side! Its one up on the Unholiness of Rome who can stick it under his cassock!!

4. Mihangel apYrs 2 Jun 2009, 7:49pm

I’m sorry, it’s very much gesture politics that doean’t actually give a great deal.

DADT is still in place and people are still suffering under it. Same sex marriage is still widely banned and abhorred, even at federal level. I admit there have been some advances, but we should be able to expect better.

5. I must say his “support” for gay rights is talked about so often but not a lot seems to have changed, over 200 military personnel have been discharged under Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell since he took office, even though he could prevent the enforcement of this policy by issuing an executive order (as G W Bush did frequently to prevent enforcement of any bill that he didn’t want to endorse) until Congress could take action.
    It comes to something when Dick Cheney is saying he’s for gay marriage and Obama is still saying he’s not…

6. Stewart Cowan 2 Jun 2009, 11:32pm

Hello. I have written a rather long blog entry about this. Only because I care about you.

7. In the blog “article” self-referenced above by one Stewart Cowan, Cowan comes across as a repressed and unaware homophobe attempting be clever.

I will quote a section of his writing here (and antiscipate eagerly if the same comment will pass his moderation process….)

“Sorry to write about homosexuality again (methinks thou dost protest too much. Yeah, whatever”

says it all really……

8. fulllovegirl 3 Jun 2009, 2:43am

Hello everyone.After getting this special right for us LGBT, I won’t think we are kicked out by family, by world. I’m here as a bisexual, get very happy for this matter. Now I can speak out loudly “hi everyone, I’m a bisexual. I love the world.” without any hesitation. Now, feel we are also common people as equal as others. “No matter we are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, our heart is full of love. And we also hope to have life-long love” said by one of my bisexual friends met at the bisexual club —-Seekbi—–Com—- on heart blog. Most of us like-minded people are deeply moved by her honest words. Thanks for making us accepted by others. We are really proud of us.

9. Archdeacon Brian Hurtin 3 Jun 2009, 3:30am

10. Even if it is political it is a step forward in the right direction. I am very happy that President Obama is for us not against us. More mist be done and is being done slowly but surely. Human nature takes time to change but positive changes are being felt. I pray that this initiative has a rippling effect throughout the world and homophobic countries like Poland and other former Communuist countries will change amd move into the 21st century.

11. Har Davids 3 Jun 2009, 7:00am

It would be better if he worked on Gay Gcceptance Month or Universal Human Rights Year or whatever. Who cares about any kind of ‘Pride’ month if there’s no real follow-up in changes in legislation? He’s still sucking up to the religious groups and we know where most of them stand in this issue.

12. Archdeacon Brian Hurtin (aka “Reality check”):- “I have heard on the grapevine that he is going to proclaim another month as “Christian Faith” month where they will be able to say what the bible says about homosexuality without prosecution.”

Then you heard wrong. Like being wrong, don’t you?

But then again, you and your kind deserve all the persecution you get, given millions people were burned and tortured in the name of your faith.

You, you kind and your faith is a sickness on society and a blight on the history of humanity.

Since you’re so fond of literal interpretation, perhaps you can get around to telling us why you support slavery, as the bible tells us to, eh?

13. Stewart Cowan 3 Jun 2009, 10:48am

You’re hurting Will. Your sins can be washed away. I was quite sarcastic in my own blog entry, but I do passionately care. That’s the truth.

14. Jean-Paul 4 Jun 2009, 3:39am

Will:

Read you loud and clear. Don’t be intimidated; here we go again!

This time, Beacon the Archdeacon mistook the fog in his crystal ball – what he was foreseing was that Harvard University was about to create a professorship of LGBT studies that will have a ripple effect in the UN and around the world.

Curtain! Lights! This is just the Beginning! !

Soon we will be seeing clinics to cure homophobes. I would keep my name out of the papers if I were you, Beaky the Archdeeky. There’s a straight jacket with your name on it coming off the assembly line. That should give the economy a boost.

Cheer up, Har; shoulders back, Rich: your eyes are seeing the coming…

Obama can’t do it all in seven days, let’s give this magnificent human being some breathing space.

15. upandatem 4 Jun 2009, 5:13am

‘Casting aspersions on the character of others undermines one’s own’.

I took this quote from one of your own. Seems as though you like undermining your own character (that is if you have one).

16. upandatem 4 Jun 2009, 5:18am

Soon we will be seeing clinics to cure homophobes.

They will be empty as homophobes don’t say or do anything as they are afraid of homos.

“The term ‘homophobia’ is often used inaccurately to describe any person who objects to homosexual behavior on either moral, psychological or medical grounds. Technically, however, the terms actually denotes a person who has a phobia – or irrational fear – of homosexuality. Principled disagreement, therefore, cannot be labeled ‘homophobia.'”

A bit of truth for you, you know that thing that you try and avoid at all costs because it would uncover all of your lies.

17. interesting timing. almost as thought its a bone thrown to an ever more vocal lgbt community, pissed off by his inability to care about them.