Peter Tatchell among protesters arrested at Slavic Pride in Moscow by ‘violent’ anti-riot police

1. Why are the news channels not giving this more attention?? Eurovision is on tonight, surely now is the time to report before the world wide press leaves Moscow. It’s a total disgrace. If there were people being blown up in Iraq or or a celebrity contracted cancer, the new crews would swamp the story. I for one hope there is a spontanoeus outburst of people chanting for equal rights during tonight’s show. A prime-time TV slot to give the plight of Russia’s gay people a higher profile is ideal.

2. Complain now 16 May 2009, 12:08pm

Graham Norton should pull out in protest

3. I wonder what will happen this evening in Eurovision but maybe with just little gestures would be enough to show to the homophobes that gay people in Russia enjoy sympathy from the rest of Europe. Maybe it would be enough to dress with rainbow flags or wear flourescent rainbow collars, etc. JUST SOME DETAIL. If this does not happen then the rest of Europe will be justifying homophobia by just remaining silent! Greetings to the UK. Let homophobia not win EUROVISON!

4. I’m curious if the Dutch entry will boycott as they promised if this kind of thing happened?

5. the Dutch entry didn’t get through Will…but i did read somewhere about the Dutch broadcaster threatening to cancel broadcast i think

6. Brave . . . is not the word

7. Michael wrote
    “Why are the news channels not giving this more attention?? Eurovision is on tonight, surely now is the time to report before the world wide press leaves Moscow. It’s a total disgrace. If there were people being blown up in Iraq or or a celebrity contracted cancer, the new crews would swamp the story. I for one hope there is a spontanoeus outburst of people chanting for equal rights during tonight’s show. A prime-time TV slot to give the plight of Russia’s gay people a higher profile is ideal.”

I have noticed this lack of coverage . . . very interesting.

8. yeah this lack of coverage…i have to wonder if this is more the case perhaps among those countries which are more the favourites than other countries for fear of “rocking the boat”? nothin at all on the main BBC news channel so far

9. The story has just been given a brief mention on Sky News, but the story very quickly moved on to other things. I doubt if Graham Norton will mention it tonight, he’s a nodding dog for the BBC. You’d think he would though as he’s known for the occasional controversial comment. I hope poor Tatchell is ok though, he’s been through some crap hasn’t he.

10. Commander Thor 16 May 2009, 12:33pm

These people are heroes. I wish I had the guts to support them publicly…

11. I have tried to send a link – but it hasn’t got through. If you go to the BBC news website there is a report with a video of police breaking up the protesters. (It’s linked from the main page – to my surprise)

12. Thanks JP. That’s a pity, a boycott by the Dutch would certainly have brought attention to this travesty.

Still, it has made the BBC website today, Skynews, and the on-line version of the Irish Times here in Ireland. I think its slowly getting the coverage.

And these people are brave for that they did, with the almost certainty that they will be arrested or even worse.

13. I urge everyone to do what I have done. Get your friends, Gay and Str8 to contact the russian embassy, the PM, your MEPs and the BBC. BBC SHOULD MUTE OUT THE RUSSIAN ENTRY AS A FORM OF PROTEST AND EXPLAIN TO THE WIDER AUDIENCE HOW HOMPBIA IS NOT TO BE TOLERATED! We must act now to show up the Russian Authorities!!

14. The BBC story is here: (insert the usual before the following):
    news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8053181.stm

or just click here

BBC Reporter Rupert Wingfield Hayes’s report on the matter has been given prominence in Radio 4 news on the hour so far today, and a good report it is too.

For anyone unsure of how to post links in these Comments using HTML, just leave off the prefix (as I’ve done above) and post the rest.

15. jonnielondon 16 May 2009, 2:16pm

In response to Michael, the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) carried comprehensive coverage of this on the 9:00 a.m. news with comments by Alekseev. Could it be that the BBC’s poor little cousin faaaar across the pond is a greater voice of freedom and equity?

16. Friends,

Please go to the following page immediately and urge the BBC to take some suitable action tonight during the broadcast of the Eurovision Song Contest. There’s a form to fill in at the bottom of the page.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/your_news/7593687.stm
    or just click here

What else can we do from our computers right now?

Ideas?

17. “Hmm. Sadly not all countries respond to active demonstration the same way as us. If he is not careful he is liable to get a good kicking in a cell at best, and an awful lot worse if the Russians want to make an example. Sometimes it’s better to just stand back.”
    Comment by RobN — May 11, 2009 @ 21:31

18. Either think of positive constructive action to take, RobN, or go and impale yourself on a fence-post. What a worm you are. Your reaction to the news of the Russian suppression of the Moscow march today is to run off to another thread, and copy and paste your pathetic childish “I told you so”. You are one very sad Turd.

19. From the Guardian – “Yesterday Norton professed ignorance about the tough line taken by the Moscow authorities against the gay rally. “I feel really bad, but I don’t know very much about this,” he said. Andrew Lloyd Webber, who composed the UK entry It’s My Time, in what appears to be the most serious UK assault on Eurovision in years, also said he knew little about the issue.”

Yeah right. Claiming ignorance as their defence. How on earth could they NOT know about it!! Well, with gay people like Graham Norton taking this line, who needs homophobes!

20. News Broadcasters want an exemption to the new Equality Bill so they can continue to discriminate.

If they reported a full story on the matter, it would convince MP’s that we need to stand firm in the face of the BNP. This under reporting is giving those homophobic MP’s a war cry not to be seen to support the gay community in the face of growing support for the BNP.

That’s why last time it was a huge story and now it’s a very small story if a story at all in the mainstream press.

Peter and his friends have put there lives on the line to try and defeat fascism!

Therefore I have a simple question for our MP’s: In the light of recent events what sort of a country would you rather support?

A Fascist country or a Liberal country?

21. Anti-gay groups had threatened to take matters into their own hands if the police failed to stop the protest. So, ironically, maybe the Russian police were protecting the gay protestors in a roundabout way.

Anyway, all the best and good luck to the UK Eurovision entry.

22. Simon Murphy 16 May 2009, 3:18pm

It’s now on the frontpage of the BBC news website.

23. RobN wrote

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

If it is wiser to fight on another day . . .

Which day did you have in mind?

24. some f_cking bastards here on pinknews (guests) have even dared to write in their squallid comments that peter tatchell was an idiot. Well the idiot is in moscow fighting for HUMAN rights. He is now arrested my russian nazi-mob-police. you retards!

25. Peter has been released, see his twitter page

26. What a disgraceful response from Graham Norton and Lord Lloyd Weber regarding the arrests today (telegraph.co.uk)

“Advance questions about the march drew embarrassed silence from Graham Norton, the BBC’s commentator for the competition, and Andrew Lloyd Weber, who co-wrote the song for Britain’s contestant, Jade Ewen.

Both men claimed not to have heard of the protest, while Lord Lloyd Weber suggested that it might have been banned to avoid TRAFFIC CONGESTION”

How dare Weber insult and patronise the gay community!!

27. George, thanks for that quote from the Guardian – “Yesterday Norton professed ignorance about the tough line taken by the Moscow authorities against the gay rally. “I feel really bad, but I don’t know very much about this,” he said. Andrew Lloyd Webber, who composed the UK entry It’s My Time, in what appears to be the most serious UK assault on Eurovision in years, also said he knew little about the issue.”

As you suggest, George, UNBELIEVABLE!

I was in a bar in Earl’s Court only a little while ago and when I got up to cross the room I saw that this big gaggle of guys standing at the bar were actually standing around Graham Norton who was sitting on a bar-stool in the middle of them . . . holding court. He’s as in touch and up on things like this as everybody else is and probably more so . . . since he doesn’t have to spend his life fretting about getting to and fro a 9 to 5 job but has the comfort of time as well as lots of connections and assistants.

As for Lloyd Webber, well we’ve all seen him carrying on in camp manner. He has endless gay connections in the theatre. If he doesn’t know anything about the Moscow problem, it’s because he chooses not to take the responsibility to know.

If Norton and Webber don’t at least impart a message to the UK viewing public tonight, then SHAME on them.

I didn’t watch Ross last night and won’t again. Similarly, I will consider avoiding anything with Graham Norton in it if he doesn’t do SOMETHING gutsy later today.

28. Nothing more sad than observing gays collude with homophobia

29. I hope they pull the plug on Eurovision tonight

30. I hav a suggestion to get more attention to the story keep watching the video and clicking on the article and send it to people, especially on the bbc news site. This would hopefully make the article go up on the most popular stories list and more people would therefore read it.

31. Eddy: You must be wringing your hands in glee that for one a bit of real homophobia has broken out, albeit on the other side of the world. Now all your pompous, over-inflated whinging about us all being victims is justified. Like I said at the time, there are ways and means to make protest, and it’s pretty bloody obvious this one was going to turn nasty weeks before.

John K: Any day where I’m not going to get wheeled off by government backed thugs.

32. For anyone who thinks this is nothing to do with Eurovision, think again please. The Russian authorities behaviour over Gay Pride is an international disgrace. Does this mean that the many gay Eurovision fans attending the event can expect to be beaten up afterwards by Muscovite thugs whose actions appear to be endorsed by the Russian authorities & media? The Eurovision organisers & the BBC should follow the enlightened Netherlands stance on this and come out and say this is unacceptable from a host nation. Should Russia win (unlikely!), they should not be permitted to host until they can provide evidence of measures being introduced to improve empathy and greater understanding of different cultures and other ways of life….surely this was part of the original ethos of eurovision anyway?

33. Thanks all for the sensible suggestions about how to act – I’ve e’d the Beeb. But I wish there was some more concrete way to raise it on the news agenda – or at least suggest to Graham Norton and the UK entrant that ‘not knowing much about’ the march isn’t a respectable response. Pink news journos – any bright ideas?

34. What makes me laugh is that during Apartheid, South Africa were banned from international cricket and rugby tournaments, and hit with trade sanctions. What is the world doing to anti-gay opressive governments?? Sweet FA!!!

35. Let’s hope Norway win it next year then, as they are a very tolerant, inclusive and nice country. Also think the song is good too!

36. I’m very impressed that the banning of gay-hate preacher Fred Phelps (as a news story) is now on the BBC’s site under ‘most popular stories now’.

37. christophersays 16 May 2009, 6:02pm

@RobN

“Don’t want to say I told you so.” This is a comment I see all too often in the blogosphere and different media outlets. The fact is minorities, throughout history, have always known what we are up against. Black, White, Gay, Female – of course we are well aware of what the outcome will be with regard to such demonstrations. However, without such actions on the part of minorities nothing will ever be gained. The advancements concerning Human Rights in the West, never could have occurred had it not been for minorities taking a stand regardless of the very real threat of being arrested, beaten or worse.

Please do not marginalize the efforts of those individuals that stood for equality this morning in Moscow, or those throughout history that have and continue to stand for what is just. Many declare “Don’t want to say ‘I told you so’ but this outcome was totally predictable. Some people might consider it brave, I think it wiser to live to fight another day.” Stay on the side lines for your safety. There is nothing wrong with that, but do not discourage others from peaceably working toward a greater good. Do not discredit others for standing up for what is right.

The world is watching. Although coverage is still limited, ten or twenty years ago, this dialogue would not exist within the international community had it not been for the brave individuals who spoke out and continue to speak out against tyranny.

There is an unfortunate reason German generations to come still bear the mark of Cain. Because their predecessors were wise and stood for nothing.

38. RobN is a pretender and imposter or a weirdo.

The only proper reason for visiting PinkNews is to ensure one is fully aware of progress or infringements on the road to full rights for LGBTs across the world.

However RobN visits to shoot down both praise for each advance made and criticism of each step backwards.

Therefore RobN is clearly NOT a genuine supporter of LGBT rights.

Don’t, anyone, be fooled by this troll or weirdo any longer.

39. @Christophersays. Well done for responding as you have to the comment made above by RobN, and also well done you for quoting and commenting upon his pathetic response in your excellent article on your website at:
    christophersays.jaysays.com
    (Click here to go to the ChristopherSays website.)

40. christophersays 16 May 2009, 9:50pm

@Eddy

Thank you Eddy! Every step in the right direction is worth mentioning! We are in this together!

41. If you want more evidence about RobN . . . come and look at his ranting at me on the site below

Jonathan Ross ‘mortified’ over accusations of homophobia

Some help would be appreciated

Kind regards
    JohnK

42. RobN wrote
    “Don’t want to say “I told you so” but this outcome was totally predictable from the outset. Some people might consider it brave, I think it wiser to live to fight another day.”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

RobN, so in what way are these people not brave . . . in your view

43. John K. I notice your links aren’t appearing, unfortunately. I don’t know how this software works but a quick way of fooling it is to delete the prefix of a page, so, for example, to link to pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-12472.html#

If, however, you include the usual prefix, the link simply won’t show.

To post a link in html using the following:

a href=”PUT THE FULL URL IN HERE”>IN HERE PLACE THE TEXT YOU WISH THE READER TO SEE, SUCH AS ‘CLICK HERE BLAH, BLAH, BLAH'</a

Note well. The above formula is without the required chevrons at each end, so add them yourself. (If I had put them in then the entire formula would not appear! Not sure even now that it will appear as I want it to!)

44. RobN wrote
    “”Hmm. Sadly not all countries respond to active demonstration the same way as us. If he is not careful he is liable to get a good kicking in a cell at best, and an awful lot worse if the Russians want to make an example. Sometimes it’s better to just stand back.”

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You say it is sometimes better just to stand back ?

Rob . . . how do you justify not challanging the oppression of gay people in Russia?

45. Eddy with regards links. . . thanks, I will try that.

46. Good question, John K. I echo:

47. The reason I said “Better to fight another day” is simply there are many ways to skin a cat, and Tatchell’s methods of direct confrontation may work in democratic countries such as the UK, but in places like that you are liable to get your head kicked in. I never at any point said “Give up” – I just think there are other ways to make your opinions known. It was a forgone conclusion the whole event was going to turn violent, so why do it? Some people may see this as brave, but brave people temper their actions with a calculated risk. I see this act as frankly, naive and potentially dangerous. Far better would be to pressure from afar, picket, protest, email, blog or whatever to get your message across, rather than stand in a Moscow street waving placards in an antagonistic way. You are just leaving yourself wide open to abuse. I was not trying to be smug about the “I told you so” – I don’t want to see people beaten up any more than anyone else, but this was a seriously stupid act that resulted in , as I said, a totally predictable outcome that achieved very little but get the authorities backs up, and make a lot of LGBT people look like troublemakers.

48. . . . and when

“picket, protest, email, blog or whatever to get your message across,”

has failed . . . in the case of Russia?

Then what?

49. RobN, thank you for your justification of your belief that it is “Better to fight another day”.

Actually, the question John K (and I) would like answered was:

“Rob . . . how do you justify not challenging the oppression of gay people in Russia?”

However, in view of your fairly wordy “justification” given above, could you now explain your attitude to:

those students who stood before the tanks in Tianenmen Square?

those gay activists who breached the walls of Lambeth Palace and confronted all the assembled anti-gay bishops of the Commonwealth?

– the list of similar actions in history is endless . . . but let’s just hear you on the above two (from the considered viewpoint granted you by the comfort of your armchair).

Of course, it would also be interesting to hear just WHEN exactly RobN believes that firm insistent face-to-face action SHOULD be taken against an oppressor.

50. i hope ChristopherSays doesn’t mind but i think his take on yesterday is brill! ………..

Today PinkNews reported 20 to 40 activists have been arrested during a peaceful Gay Pride demonstration in Moscow. All requests to legally assemble were denied by Mayor Yuri Luzhkov due to his belief that Gays and Lesbians are “Satanic.”

A comment left by one of the readers stated:

Though the title of this post asks if we should give up, I suppose the real question is more about whether or not community members actually believe the efforts of those who have come before us, and those who continue to challenge injustice, are making a difference.

I responded to the reader by advising that I’ve unfortunately seen such comments all too often in the blogosphere and different media outlets. Minorities throughout history have always known what we are up against. We are well aware of what the outcome will be with regard to such demonstrations. However, without action nothing will ever be gained.

Though we still have an uphill battle, the West has seen much advancement concerning Human rights. None of which could ever have been accomplished had it not been for minority members taking a stand regardless of the very real threat of being arrested, beaten or worse.

Do not marginalize the efforts of those individuals that stood for equality this morning in Moscow, or those throughout history that have and continue to stand for what is just. Staying on the sidelines, in the closet, or silent because one fears for safety is not wrong. But know…that safety is an illusion and relative only when you do not slip up and mistakenly out yourself with a gesture, a glance or a slip of the tongue. Stay where you are out of fear but do not discourage others from peaceably working toward a greater good. Do not discredit others for standing up for what is right.

The world is watching. Although coverage is still limited, ten or twenty years ago, this dialogue would not have existed within the international community. It is because of the brave individuals who spoke out this morning, and those that have come before them, that the demand for equality is growing.

There is a reason German generations to come will continue to bear the mark of Cain. Their predecessors, the majority, were “wise” and stood for nothing.

51. And what is RobNs view of Greenpeace and their activities – putting themselves in danger to protect the whale or to stop the French testing their nuclear bombs amongst the South Pacific islands? or the long struggle of Solidarity back in Gdansk?

52. ISISFORDGAY 17 May 2009, 10:46pm

There are other ways to skin a cat. Hit their hip pockets. OUCH! Worldwide and collectavely, choose a shakey bank and deposit your money in it. The rest is simple. Worldwide, we are worth billions, and please send an Electrician to Moscow to switch the lights on. Boycott Vatican and Yankee goods. Just a suggestion.

53. ISISFORDGAY 17 May 2009, 10:49pm

Would someone send an Electrician to Moscow to switch the lights on.

54. All Russians, and Muskovites in particualr, should hang their heads in shame at the heavy-handed treatment dished out to a few dozen people staging a peaceful protest to bring attention to the lack of human rights in Russia. The treatment and persecution of gay citizens, who work hard and pay taxes, just like any other Russian citizen, is shocking. It sends a loud message to the world that Russian pursues a policy of regilious bigotry and neo-Stalinism which has no respect for the human rights of its citizens. Has Russia not learnt from its history of the 20th century? The twin evil gulags of neo-fascism and religious intolerance are a blight on the whole of Russia. This kind of behaviour only intensifies the world’s perceptions that Russia is a backward country and not worthy of being counted among the civilised countries of the world.

55. Perfectly put Ken. Let’s hope some Russian diplomats get wind of this view in the coming days. Hmmm. Now do we have an email address for the Russian embassy …