Equality California enlists clergy to help fight gay marriage ban

1. I am very upset that people’s votes decide whether or not I lose my California Marriage.

2. It’s a great idea bringing religion & gay rights together positively. It is something all countries should be doing more of.

3. Brian Burton 11 May 2009, 5:44pm

Being Brian Burton and a commited Gay Christian, I am proud Gay Rights is going to involve aspects of religion in California. If successful we can hit the more stubborn clergy over the head with it in the UK.

4. Simon Murphy 11 May 2009, 7:08pm

In an ideal world there should be zero involvement by religions or clergy in whether people should have civil rights. Religions are entitled to their own opinions but they shouldn’t interfere with the civil rights of people who are not members of their organisation. However considering how religious the US is I suppose this may be useful.

5. Brian Burton 11 May 2009, 7:25pm

Of course religious people are far more usful to society than say Atheists. Religion offers food for the soul where as Atheisum offers starveation to the mind as well as the soul. The spirit of humanity is the spirit of love and the spirit of Christ is also the spirit of Love. Atheisum posseses no spirit, so no love either.

6. @Brian – so by your reconning because I don’t believe in your Christ I am incapable of love…? WTF?

7. Simon Murphy 11 May 2009, 10:46pm

Brian – you are free to believe what you like. But of course surely you’re not arrogant enough to suggest that your belief in ‘god’ is any more valid than a non-belief in ‘god’.

8. Brian Burton 11 May 2009, 11:07pm

SIMON, How can any atheist be capable of the Love that I experiance and give in return? If that is arrogance Simon, so be it. It was my Religion which cured my cancer. In 2005 I was dyagnosed with cancer. I was treated with the usual chemo and radio theripy. The Hospital told me frankly that I only had a slight chance of recovery. So, I asked God to give me my life back. Today, I am completley clear and living life to the full. How would you explain that Simon? I know what I think!

9. @Brian Burton

I’m very pleased to hear that God or your faith or both or something else have healed your cancer. That’s great to hear!

If you reconsider your statement, however, you may find that you have made a leap of faith or two that isn’t warranted by the evidence.

You may firmly believe that your faith in an idealized Jesus healed you and empowers you to love. Well, maybe, maybe not.

Maybe your belief healed you, maybe God doesn’t mind being called ‘Jesus’, and healed you anyway, maybe it was something else.

As for your comment that atheists can’t love – that’s a bridge TOO far for me. That’s not for us to judge. And it’s a prize example of the Christian tribal narcissism I remarked upon in an earlier post.

Christians are often VERY confused about what love really is…

10. Brian Burton 12 May 2009, 11:51am

Rob Fox,
    With great respect to you and yours. It’s you who is ‘Very Confused’ Who needs evidence when my faith (And I never leap!) is my streangth and my guide on the path of this life. Great passions are for the great soul and great events, can be seen by those who are on a level with them.

11. @Brian Burton

“Who needs evidence…?”

Not you, apparently!!!

Somewhat inconveniently for you and your ilk, Brian, evidence is what has brought most of the genuinely great gains we take so much for granted in modern, Western society.

Credulous Christian belief brought us:

a)”the demon theory of disease”

b) the destruction of the Library at Alexandria and the horrific murder of probably the greatest woman genius of the age, Hypatia, by a vicious Christian mob.

c) mass conversion by threats of hell or at least, gruesome death.

d)The Dark Ages

e)The Inquisition

f)The Crusades

g) vicious anti-semitism, with its pogroms and ultimately the Holocaust

i)the mass carnage of the European Wars of Religion

…I could go on, but it would be tedious. The body count simply cannot be discounted or counterbalanced by the fact that some credulous people are infatuated with an idealized 1st century Galilean Jew, and FEEL all lovey about that…

If you reflect carefully, you’ll realise that, at least at some points in your life, you have accepted evidence and you have chosen to accept someone’s interpretation of that evidence.

The interpretation you have chosen may not be the most reliable one.

As AdrianT has remarked: “the Road to Damascus runs both ways”. It’s true.

I look back on some of the things I used to believe as an Evangelical, and I can hardly believe the blindness and arrogance of it now…

12. Simon Murphy (4):

You say that: “…considering how religious the US is”.

That sounds a bit shallow to me coming from a guy who is living in a theocratic democracy (what an oxymoron!).

I know the history of England enough to know that the Head of State being the Head of the C of E has had its use, and it is now time to move on and get those bishops out of the House of Lords.

Don’t talk to me about how religious the USA is!

13. Brian Burton 12 May 2009, 3:35pm

Rob Fox,
    Frankly, you sound exactly like Hitler in ‘Mine Kampf’ Blaming everything on the Jews. I cannot accept your Religios bigotry by any manner of means. I am convinced that both you and Simon Murphy write with a Quill pen dipped in Venom!

14. Brian Burton 12 May 2009, 4:03pm

Jean-Paul,
    The Queen of both our Countries has been a great stablizing factor and has been so for centuaries. The silly republicans in this Country of ours want a Presidential system. Let me see, perhaps a corrupt, trough-feeder of a poiitition would surfice for them? The Monach protects us in many ways we cannot imagine. A British Judge cannot be fired unless the monach’s signiture is on the dismissal document. No law comes into being without the Queen’s signiture and whats more, We wold be reduced to a ‘Banana Repulic’ if the lunatic fringe has it’s way. I hope Simon M. is taking note? I do not recall the great word you used ‘Oxymoron’ I must remember it! Great talking to you Jean-Paul. (A little story for you on D. Ogden Stiers)

15. @Brian Burton

“Frankly, you sound exactly like Hitler in ‘Mine Kampf’ Blaming everything on the Jews”

????!!!

I get the picture, though.

Enough said.

16. Reality Check 13 May 2009, 2:26am

QUOTE: Religions are entitled to their own opinions but they shouldn’t interfere with the civil rights of people who are not members of their organisation

If that is the case, you might like to stop your mates firebombing churches and attacking ministers and their families because they didn’t agree with them.

17. Reality Check 13 May 2009, 2:29am

QIOTE: I think religion is a cancer on society. Not for the beliefs themselves but for the horrific way religion tries to suppress people who disagree with their agenda.

Sounds very much like the homosexuals movement that calls everyone who disagrees with them “homophobic” which is rather strange becuse if a person is afraid of homosexuals which is what the wOrd means, I doubt that he is going to go head to head with them. The fact they do means that they are NOT homophobic.

18. Reality Check 13 May 2009, 2:38am

QUOTE: Credulous Christian belief brought us:

a)”the demon theory of disease”

No they didn’t. Disease was around long before christianity.

Adn who were these so called christians?

c) mass conversion by threats of hell or at least, gruesome death.

This had nothing to do with Christian belief. it was the product of an apostate roman church.

d)The Dark Ages

The dark ages was created by the lack of christian belief.

e)The Inquisition

The Inquisition had nothing to do with Christian belief. it was the product of an apostate Roman Church.

f)The Crusades

Ditto.

g) vicious anti-semitism, with its pogroms and ultimately the Holocaust

Ever heard of Hitler? The Jews do not in any shape or form blame Christian belief for the holocaust so why are you?

They were burned because they were witches, not because they were not christians. Adn we won’t talk about the current massive attack on society by homosexuals who want to force everyone to accept their take on social norms.

i)the mass carnage of the European Wars of Religion

What mass carnage was this? Can we have some evidence please?

19. Reality Check 13 May 2009, 2:41am

QUOTE: Don’t talk to me about how religious the USA is!

Why not? It is the truth with the majority believing in the christian God and/or having some religious affilation or belief.

20. Brian Burton 13 May 2009, 7:07am

Reality Check.
    I do not even feel that I have to defend myself from homophobic anti Christians like Rob Fox and his ilk! My reality check is when I bless them that curse me and prey for them who are despicable in God’s sight and towards me. I look forward one day to eternal life. What has an atheist got to look forward to, eternal oblivion. I know what I prefer.

21. Brian Burton 13 May 2009, 1:59pm

Reality Check,
    Im convinced it is you who desparatly needs a reality check!!!

22. h) massive suppression of all dissenting views including 100’s of thousands of feisty women healers branded as witches burned to death by the pious Christians.

“They were burned because they were witches, not because they were not christians.”

Reality Check – they were burned in the name of Christianity because Christians decided that witches were evil and should not live. Do not make light of this atrocity. It is like saying that the Nazi’s murdered Jews not because they were Jewish but because they wern’t Nazi’s. Rediculous! Most of those women died because they decided not to convert to the male dominated Christian faith that was being forced on them – they died because they decided to hold onto their own peaceful and inclusive faith, one that was far, far older then the Christian one.

23. Brian Burton 14 May 2009, 6:43am

Witches were burned because of ignorance and fear. Christians were killed because of ignorance and fear. When the Romans came to Brittain they killed the Druids out of fear of them too. In 2009 there are people who live in fear of a man named Christian. Christian is feared in case his morality will interfere with immorality. Disobedience in historic terms is mans original virtue. While discontent is the first step in the progress of man.

24. Brian Burton 14 May 2009, 12:10pm

That Crud David Skinner is peddling his gunge again on Pink News.
    He’s from (Gay Cure! the crud is.)

25. Coisa Mais 15 May 2009, 4:09pm

In the US
    Marriage is both a state required legal contract and a religious sacrament. The contract is required for legal marriage – the sacrament is not. Considering these truths it make most religious arguments against same sex marriage moot. The US Constitution requires this separation between church and state. The issue is
    civil rights and due process and the Iowa State Supreme court unanimously detailed this fact.

The anti-gay marriage amendments in far too many states allowed the population to vote on the civil rights or others – can this be anything but wrong?

It is mentioned many times in many web places that miscegenation and other laws were supported by popular vote. This thinking has changed in most states and by legal rulings.

It is saddening that many states have allowed their constitutions to deny legal rights and due process to people who are not ‘straight’

26. Vicki Morley 2 Jun 2009, 6:14pm

Even though I am gay, I can sort of understand and respect the church’s attempts to block gay marriage bills if they are viewing marriage that is something of Christian essence, but the fact is that nowadays, marriage is a social and legal binding – the Church doesn’t have full ownership.

If the church are going to play the ‘marriage is a christian thing’ then only allow Christians to marry. Don’t go promoting the need for marriage in society, and offering marriage to atheists, and then deny it to gay people.