Opponents file challenge to gay marriage in Maine

1. The stench of Christianity shines through once again. Find out who these peope are! Put a ban and a protest on their Christian businesses, they covet money bigtime and go for the jugular of their discriminating throats!

2. Robert, ex-pat Brit 8 May 2009, 1:37pm

Under the U.S. constitution it clearly states that the tyranny of the majority over the minority (mob rule) shall not prevail if the minority’s rights are not protected. Maine has legislated for marriage equality and as such is subject to such protection. I do not understand why same-sex marriage haters are allowed to overturn laws giving full equality to same-sex couples.

3. Why can’t the fanatics just leave us alone and let us live our lives in peace? Shouldn’t they be battling homelessness, poverty and worrying about their own rate of divorce?!?!

4. Har Davids 8 May 2009, 2:07pm

It’s time to ban all those fundies and their opinions, stamped into their pea-sized brains. Let them get a life or just die!

5. For God’s sake, haven’t these people got anything better to do with their lives?

6. Vo Dong Cung 8 May 2009, 11:43pm

I hope in my country, there is only Vietnamese Catholic not Vatican Catholic.

7. The people you condemn as fanatics and simpletons, remember, are your own kith and kin. It´s mostly a generational divide in play as you should well know and most people haven´t even gotten used to the concept of civil unions—let alone full-blown marriage. I predict that the voters in Maine will ultimately resoundingly reject gay marriage once they realize how groups like yours demonize decent working-class and other citizens.

8. Philly, I think that you meant to say “Groups like Christians who Demonize decent people who want to be able to live their lives in peace and with the SAME rights as other citizens” I am sure that is what you mean?????

9. Mihangel apYrs 9 May 2009, 9:32am

The next popular vote from Maine: reintroduce slavery as ordained by the bible and supported by the founding fathers.

No? Why not? If the majoritty votes it, why should the courts strike it down?

That, Philly, is the root of it: the tyranny of the majority should trump fundamental rights (pursuit of happiness being right up there with freedom)

10. Even the so-called chosen one President Obama does not support gay marriage nor does Hillary Clinton or Biden, etc. Are they are bigoted troglodytes too…grow up, you all sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. Get a life and stop vilifying Catholics, etc. when even the left leaning Democratic party and its top leadership do not support gay marriage!

11. Mihangel apYrs 9 May 2009, 3:37pm

my, my, philly, your GOP credentials are showing! What is a red-blooded straight doing on a queer website? Getting the thrills are we?

Just because the top Democrats oppose gay marriage (and bear in mind that in the eyes of Europe the US Dems are just left of our right wing parties, with the Reps veering off into swivel-eyed land) doesn’t make it right. Denying a liberty by majority vote is still tyranny

and then I think “why bother arguing with the closed-minded?”

12. Actually, Mihangel, I’m a Democrat who supported Hillary Clinton. I confess I am a fence sitter on this issue. I’m not enamored of the nauseating love fest going on over Obama in the US and European sycophantic media. I found this site when I googled “Maine Marriage Coalition” and this was the first link which appeared. I am straight and it was simply eye-opening to me how actually small-minded and nasty gay people can be when commenting, or rather name-calling, on other segments of a huge population. I also wasn’t aware, other than Spain and Belgium, that gay marriage existed in ostensibly progressive and enlightened Europe. Given the vast demographic shifts occurring daily in Europe and your rapidly aging native populations, I would imagine that those latter countries will probably revert back to “one man, one woman” within a generation or two to avoid social and religious upheaval or , at least, allow a bifurcated system concurrent with sharia law. Call me crazy, but it has already been suggested in Canada and in the UK. In the US, on the other hand, I think gay marriage will be the law of the land in a generation and, I confess, the sky won’t fall.

13. Mihangel apYrs 10 May 2009, 12:09pm

Philly
    please accept my apologies for the rant, had you viewed more of the threads you’d have seen how venomomous the opponents of gay people have been and we react back. However, that doesn’t excuse the unpleasantness.

The nordic countries are making changes to allow gay marriage as has the Netherlands – very slowly I admit. However, the case for ensuring and entrenching gay marriage is to avoid the reversion that you think may happen; if it’s seen as unremarkable by the younger generation then it will be better protected. Whether you think that’s a good thing is your opinion.

I agree that opposition is coming from “ordinary” people, but they are being encouraged by those exerting religious power. Our kith and kin frequently do a volte face once they realise that their own want this right. My generation (50+s) were raised in a liberal and liberated era, so sexualiity isn’t such a tabu: people I work with who have gay children are immensely proud of them.

The USA is out of step with its European counterparts in many ways, which view is better is a matter of opinion.

14. Vo Dong Cung 11 May 2009, 2:58am

How poor for person who been brain washed from the day of birth and want to govern the whole world, the whole universe!!!..