Scottish MPs condemn clergy for attacks on gay minister

1. Brian Burton 6 May 2009, 12:04pm

Well, there is hope for MPs yet! Support for Gay Minister Scott Rennie By 80% of the congregation and many MPs is just what Scott needs in order to ‘thumb his nose’ at his dissenters. Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or Nation.

2. “Christians”, they never cease to amaze me by doing the exact opposite of what being a christian is supposed to be… they should re-brand themselves as “Hypocrites” as a more descriptive and accurate title.

3. AnthonyfromAyshire 6 May 2009, 1:06pm

I know I’m being really pedantic, but Members of the Scottish Parliament are MSPs, not MPs. The term “Scottish MPs” is usually used in the main stream media to describe Members at Westminster who represent Scottish constituencies, although technically this is also incorrect. A Scottish MP is any MP who happens to be Scottish including those who represent English constituencies such as Ian McCartney, Malcolm Rifkind or Liam Fox.

4. Brian Burton 6 May 2009, 1:35pm

Anthony From Ayshire.
    Of course you are right about MSP/MP ecetera, MPs is MPs is MPs to me Anthony (hope that dos’nt sound pedantic either?) MPs reputations in Westminster had already gone down the pan years before their Expences Scam was exposed. But still, there are more important matters like Scott Rennie, we are still a United Kingdom. I have met (and made love to) many Scottish Lads in my former traveles and in the Military too! ‘Slange’ my friend.

5. Simon Murphy 6 May 2009, 2:06pm

Scott Rennie is a member of a church which believes in ‘god’. How on earth can he expect rational behaviour from a group of people who believe some nonsensical superstition.

6. AnthonyfromAyrshire 6 May 2009, 2:42pm

Brian,
    I was not trying to calim that MSPs are more trustworthy or reputable than MPS, I think that all politicians are as bad as one another. I was just pointing out the difference between MPs and MSPs, just as there is a difference between an MP and a local Councillor, yet they would never be mixed up in news reports. You seem to imply that I’m an English-hating, Scottish Nationalist. I’m not, I’m in favour of the UK and I’m quite happy being British and Scottish.

7. Bent Sauer(Denmark) 6 May 2009, 4:03pm

Hmm – we are not going to Scotland this year(deerhunting)

8. Ian Laughlin 6 May 2009, 5:31pm

If the right-wing are organising a petition to have Mr Rennie fired, then perhaps it is time to have an online petition in support of him. Worded correctly, it could permit both religious and non-religious people to sign and maximise signatures. Perhaps something along the lines of ‘We deplore the attack by homophobes on the position and character of Rev Rennie and urge all authorities, religious and secular, to stand up against their camoaign of smear and intimidation. We urge the Kirk to allow a congregation to elect the candidate of its choosing”.

9. Brian Burton 6 May 2009, 5:56pm

Anthony,
    You certainly misunderstood my posting, I thought I was being polite and curtious to you. Still genius is always misunderstood!

10. Dave North 7 May 2009, 7:13am

It amazes me how the press have painted it with the following headlines.

“1 fifth of whatever oppose gay bishop, etc. etc.”

What about the 4 fifth’s who didnt oppose.

11. None of the churches, because of the beliefs of many of their flocks, can fully observe the law of the land and so no man can serve two masters.
    Clergy should make up their minds and not go bleating to the law crying ‘foul’ when their elders or bishops, or whoever else religious authorities, lay down church law, canon law, the Q’ran and all the rest regarding the sexual mores of the individual citizen.
    The monarchy needs to come into the 21st century and dis-establish or simply ‘go’, and church and wider religious belief put firmly in its place, behind the nation’s front doors, quiet and in private, like the bedroom.

France has the right idea.

No crucifixes.
    No prayer shawls and yomulkas.
    And no n’qabs nor j’llabas either.

And no faith schools; very divisive, them!

Keith.
    SALFORD.

12. ….So get out of the church and leave them to their own prejudices and mumblings and go and get a secular job; teach French or drive a bus or whatever else turns you on, as I said earlier.

Or … wholly embrace your Kirk and their dictats.

You cannot serve two masters, Mr Rennie.
    Live YOUR life or you will find that a football, kicked around a pitch, has an easy time of it than you ever will.

Keith
    SALFORD.

13. Strange how Calvinists with a tradition of congregational democracy try to ditch it when their irrational prejudices are affronted!

14. Brian Burton 7 May 2009, 4:13pm

Stay on the inside and fight them from the inside! Ya-Booing on the sidelines is less than usless Scott Rennie.

15. AnthonyfromAyrshire 7 May 2009, 5:40pm

It seems that not all MSPs are decent enough people after all. I read in The (Glasgow) Herald today that MSPs are “split” over this matter.

SNP MSP Dave Thompson, said: “I have no problem with people who have different beliefs or a different lifestyle.

“I do believe, however, that once someone declares himself as a Christian that they should comply with the teaching of the Bible and that active homosexuality is incompatible with that teaching.”

16. AnthonyfromAyrshire 7 May 2009, 5:45pm

Remember,the SNP are the party of Government in Scotland and who are funded by a major homophobe, so I’m not surprised at this latest development. It still really annoys me, though, that people with this attitude can serve in any Parliament.

17. AnthonyfromAyrshire 7 May 2009, 5:50pm

I’m not surprised by this latest development considering who funds the SNP, but it is worrying as they are the party in Government in Scotland.

18. SNP MSP Dave Thompson’s education appears to be the 1st year of a degree in Gaelic – so he’s hardly a theological authority in the Kirk!

However, if we prefer that Kirk ministers keep their noses out of politics, then perhaps our politicians should also keep their noses out of the business of the Kirk – at least until the General Assembly has come to a decision on the issue.

19. BRIAN BURTON.

I agree wholeheartedly with you that ‘ya-booing on the sidelines is less than useless..”, Brian, but why do you advise Mr. Rennie to “…stay and fight them from the inside..”……..?

He wouldn’t win; you will never win with a bigot especially with those who ‘have heard God..God told me’

Leave them to it.
    Let them drown in the selfsame shite that they spout from their daft gobs; life’s too short and do we really need any more martyrs..?

Keith.
    SALFORD

20. Brian Burton 8 May 2009, 5:48pm

Keith,
    Because You either fight or lay down and die as you have!