David Cameron to appear at London Pride?

1. He needs to be up on the stage in Trafalgar Square as one of the speakers to make this really count. And he needs to have something decent to say. He will win some people over if he starts with an apology for Section 28 and outlines his party’s plans to counteract the damage it did by introducing tougher requirements of schools to stop homophobic bullying, to promote equaolity and tolerance, and to provide effective teaching, for example by encouraging LGBT history month activities and appropriate sexual health teaching to include the assumption that each class may contains some gay students. If he could go as far as to criticise the current government for not going far enough with civil partberships, and promise to provide marriage equality then he would win over even more voters. The tories always lag behind labour on equalities issues and social justice. If Cameron could use this platform to show them being one step ahead it would really have an impact. I won’t hold my breath…

2. Simon Murphy 29 Apr 2009, 12:32pm

If he does not include a serious plan to grant gay relationships full equality in the eyes of the law; a commitment to end the religious exemption from equality laws and an apology for Section 28 then he’s wasting his time. People will know that it’s just a PR stunt.

3. If the Tories could stop paying lip services to the LGBT community and start be actually proactive in supporting our rights, then I might be willing to believe that they have changed.

In the meantime, I remain unconvinced.

4. John (Derbyshire 29 Apr 2009, 1:27pm

Just remember folks- if the Tories DON`T win the next election-they will rapidly turn into the REALLY NASTY party as far as gay rights are concerned – by veering extreme right. Then you could have Julian Brazier,Edward Leigh,Christopher Chope et al becoming far more influential in the party. I`m afraid we just have to “bite the bullet” and wait about 10 years for labour to get back in-and ONLY THEN will our rights move forward. The best thing we can do now is try to maintain a “holding” position for the rights we now hae.

5. Robert, ex-pat Brit 29 Apr 2009, 1:43pm

To show how sincere he is, why doesn’t Cameron prove his support by giving the finger to the C of E and RC cults by telling them that nobody is above the law regardless of religious beliefs and nobody should be exempt, now that would be a first for any prime minister. Its time to end state religion once and for all, nothing more than parasites enabled by tax paying citizens.

6. vulpus_rex 29 Apr 2009, 1:44pm

Good for him if its true.

I personally couldn’t be less interested in a stupid piece of legislation made 25 years ago, the effect of which was grossly exaggerated at the time and has been ever since – if he doesn’t utter one word about clause 28 I couldn’t care less.

I’d much rather he focused on what he is going to do to repair the damage of 12 years of a Labour government, who have now become a synonym for sleaze, incompetence and dishonesty.

You may remain unconvinced by David Cameron, but what realistically is the alternative? New Labour’s litany of failure and embarassment may have been punctuated by some decent equality legislation, but really, to continue to support them is to vote for corruption, nepotism and self-enrichment.

You put yourself in the same category as those in Zimbabwe who think Robert Mugabe is doing a good job.

7. Another cynical PR stunt. He will, also, attend Notting hill carnival. On both occasions he’ll wear a whistle: pink for Pride, Rasta for Carnival. He’ll exploit all roving media at both occasions, extolling the virtues of diversity & the new, inclusive, Tory party.

8. Will he be dragging up as Thatcher? We all know he’d like to!

9. ‘Mr Bandwagon’ has jumped on yet another bandwagon … all show and damn all substance! A ‘private party’ hosted by a prospective Tory candidate hardly equates to making a public statement of support!!!

10. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Apr 2009, 3:17pm

“Another cynical PR stunt”

Oh dear, and you don’t think Labour dragging their heels to introduce equalities legislation forced on us by Europe, and then pretending that they actually had any sort of commitment to equalities, for any reasons other than to wring a few more votes out of the gay community, was a tad cynical?

The whole country has seen the dishonourable and dishonest way that Labour conduct themselves over recent months and yet, despite this there are still those on here naive enough to believe that New Labour did any of it to benefit anyone other than themselves.

The fact that people haven’t even bothered to find out the facts behind the lies is just utter laziness. It takes about 30 seconds to google the relevant Euro legislation and about 10 minutes to read it. Too much trouble no doubt when you can sit on your arse and believe the first thing you’re told.

11. Simon Murphy 29 Apr 2009, 3:22pm

#6: Vulpus_Rex: You say:

“You may remain unconvinced by David Cameron”

I am absolutely unconvinced by him.

His voting record on gay issues is very patchy. His policies all sound very nice but I see little substance in them and I worry that if elected the Tories will revert to the hideous selfish mob they have always been.

He is good at PR but the questions about his integrity and truthfulness are too large to ignore. He seems like a lightweight who talks the talk but cannot walk the walk.

It may be true that Labour are corrupt but the Tory party is STILL the spiritual home of the Daily Mail reader and that should be a huge cause for concern for anyone with a streak of decency in them.

12. vulpus_rex 29 Apr 2009, 3:50pm

Simon Murphy I won’t disagree with you, David Cameron is untested and his record on gay issues is patchy. It is a shame therefore that when he suggests a positive move you remain scornful and derisive – give him a chance.

Daily Mail readers are entitled to vote like anyone else and in your casual dismissal of such you are being grossly unfair to the millions of people who no doubt switched to Labour in 1997 in the hope of something better only to be bitterly deceived and let down, and who are now switching back to the conservatives.

It seems their powers of critial judgement are better the some others who will defend any level of filth and corruption using bogey-man arguments and single issue totems.

13. Sister Mary Clarence 29 Apr 2009, 4:13pm

“ …. but the questions about his integrity and truthfulness are too large to ignore ….”, pardon me Simon, I nearly choked. Isn’t that the issue with the current government that the entire country, bar a few see-no-evil-hear-know-evil Labourites on here, are struggling with?

New Labour this time have trumped the last Labour government booted out in 1979 after destroying the economy, not content with that their failure to regulate the British financial section these days operating on the global market has resulted in financial catastrophe in markets around the whole world.

14. Sister Mary Clarence:
    You’re back, and with a vengence. I’m so happy to see your name again.
    As a Canadian living in Atlantic Canada, I do not know up from down on this issue, but what an education I am getting from all these comments, and I particularly like your facility to clearly express yourself. I do not flatter, I report.

15. Stone me, same old trolls. Not only tory apologists but sorry being Gay as well. Quite sad really.

16. Politicians are parasites at the best of times; the biggest parasites of all, since they restrict the welfare state, but decide themselves what level of pay and perks they enjoy. Boy are we finding out in dribs and drabs the level of theft they practise on us. This is not a party issue; you can scream at labour all you like, Sinister Mary Clarence, but your lot are just as guilty. I think that every MP should be imprisoned. On election. It saves time in the long run.

At risk of being shot by the KKGay, I would say that David Cameron’s brush with Gay Pride is simply cynical electioneering that will be swiftly forgotton once he is ensconced in number 10. I would say the same about Gordon Brown’s gay night too. So we are being courted by both sides, woop de do; bishops still sit in the house of lords, and the attack on our rights is coming from the christian evangelicals they represent.

Anyone genuinely claiming to support equality should make the disestablishment of the church their manifesto priority, and removal of all church privelege. This would really make a difference to our rights. Until then, all of them are just toying with us.

17. Jonny Roland 29 Apr 2009, 5:31pm

Simon Murphy: gay relationships do enjoy full equality in the eyes of the law, just not in the eyes of most religions.

18. Matt:
    Of course I agree that ‘politicians are parasites at the best of times’.
    But in the UK, your politicians have never seen the best of times, and you will never see them either until the ‘removal of all church priviledge’.
    26 bishops in the House of Lords! Give me a break.
    What’s the difference between the UK’s theocracy and Iraq’s?
    And if what’s-his-name wants to march in the Gay Pride Parade, I suggest he consult some of your fabulous drag queens about what color evening gown would go well with his blue eyes.

19. No No No

The lady is not for turning . . .

Love her or hate her . . . one hell of a women and you knew where you were with her. . .

That famous speech

“you do not have unassailable right to be lesbian or gay”

I do not know who Cameron, what he stands for; or whether or not he has

Turned
    Is about to turn
    Or will never turn . . . his party around in favour of gay rights

20. I said something stupid in my last post (17), and I want to apologize.

I should be horsewhipped for saying that there is no difference between the theocracy of Great Britain and that of Iraq.

I knew the minute I clicked on the ‘Say it!’ command that I had written something stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid…idiotic!

I’m so sorry.

21. Jean-Paul

“With rye humour” . . . wicked wicked boy . . . 100 Hail Mary’s and you will be forgiven

John K

22. Jean-Paul 2 May 2009, 6:53am

John K:
    I’m starting to like you, enfant terrible.

23. Now I have told you Children of Pink to remember, the Tory Party is run by face-less men in grey suits and what ever Cameron says today, the face-less ones will reverse it–Becha!

24. Robert, ex-pat Brit 3 May 2009, 4:21pm

What does Cameron say about the controlling Tory group on Brighton and Hove Council that again has voted against inviting the Albert Kennedy Trust (AKT) to work in Brighton and Hove? It is the third time in two months that they have blocked the go-ahead.

At last week’s cabinet meeting of the council, Tories threw out a Green Party proposal for funding for the Trust. The issue had previously won a majority of votes at a full council meeting. The cabinet is composed entirely of Tory councillors.

“We know that of the population who live on the streets or in temporary accommodation and who are young and LGBT are statistically more likely to self-harm,” said LGBT Green spokesperson Phelim Mac Cafferty.

The Tories have effectively signed a charter to continue crushing the needs of this socially fragile group.

What say you, Cameron?

25. Pumpkin Pie 4 May 2009, 12:55am

vulpus and Sister Mary, I beseech you to argue why the Tories are a good party without reference to Labour. Saying one shit party is less shit than another shit party doesn’t make it good, you know. Stop assuming everyone who criticises the Tories is pro-Labour and start telling us why the Tories deserve power over all other parties.

One other thing I’d like to address, which I see popping up in a couple of discussions…

“I actually find it quite disgusting that there are so many gay people on here that can only think about themselves when deciding which party to support. Even if you are stupid enough to believe the spin about Labour having a hand in the European Equalities legislation, the fact that they have committed this country to economic ruin for decades doesn’t factor on your radar.”

I don’t get this, I really don’t. Despite being white, I would never agree with a policy which denied rights to people of colour while benefitting the country as a whole. Despite being male, I would never agree with a policy which denied rights to women while benefitting the country as a whole. I am bisexual and I will never agree to give up my rights, even if it benefits the country as a whole – because I’m bisexual? No, this time it just happens to be something which affects me personally. I don’t object to such treatment because I’ll be the one suffering, but because I am a moral being who believes that ethics should always come first, even above prosperity. I find what you preach to be disgusting – a rather vicious and crude form of utilitarianism, if you will. Either we all go to the ball, or none of us go to the ball, that’s the way I strive to live my life. That’s what I think is decent and just.

26. Brian Burton 4 May 2009, 5:05pm

In the 1960s, people used to say ‘Vote For Ringo’ because they did not like or trust polititions even then. Lo and behold, we still do’nt know any different. Ok, ‘Vote the handsom John Bannerman!’

27. Sister Mary Clarence 6 May 2009, 3:39am

Pumpkin, the issue seems to be (in my narrow view) that people are prepared to overlook so many things that are wrong with Labour because they have enacted a bit of equalities legislation sent down from Europe.

Setting aside for a moment that the Tories would have had to enact that same legislation had they been in power, why can so many gay people not apparently see that if there are 3 million unemployed, some of them will be gay, if the economy is in tatters gay people will be amongst those that suffer. All of the negatives in regard to Labours mismanaged government will affect gay people as much as straight people. We are not living in a bubble.

Going back to the matter we set aside for the moment, New Labour stole the glory for someone else’s work in relation to the equalities legislation we are currently enjoying. It was all forced on us by Europe. You’re dilemma over ethics or prosperity is a dumb argument. If you believe that the Tories will remove the country from the Council of Europe and remove its signatures from all of the relevant treaties agreed in the last 50 years, and then detach itself from the European Union, again removing signatures from the various pan Europe treaties is has signed to and in so doing sever all free trade agreements with EU member states and probably all those offering EFTA preferences as well, plunging any remaining British industries into bankruptcy and ruin and the financial markets into meltdown, then perhaps it’s a relevant concern. It you realise that to actually do all of that, whilst technically would be possible, and yet in reality would not, then you would see that there is not login behind you moral dilemma.

Its all very easy to run screaming that the Tories are going to burn all the chickens and rape the cattle, but looking at them at a local government level, that is simply not the reality. If you look at the Audit Commission league tables of local authorities, 4 out of the top 5 are all Tory run. Look down to the bottom on the tables are they are mostly Labour run authorise. Break down the elements that go to make up the star ratings and you will see that the Tories provide better services (to gay and straight people) across the board.

In London we have Boris Johnson, who most people seem to feel hasn’t put a foot wrong. He’s stuffed city hall full of gay people, and generally behaved like an all round good chap. He hasn’t closed down all the gay bars of started to intern anyone just yet.

28. Bill Perdue 10 May 2009, 7:23pm

Cameron, little brother of George Bush, at a Pride festival?

Will he be wearing his armband, the one with that twisty little cross thingy. Will he have his riding crop handy? (Maybe, they think we’re all weird fetishists).

Will he wear a flaksuit and be surrounded by bodyguards. (He’d better.)

Will he push the Milk Snatchers wheelchair onto the podium so she can address the crowd and admit that she and virtually all Tories are pigheaded bigots? (Unlikely).

Will he track down the victims of section 28 and promise to propose a bill to restore lost wages, with interest, and to pay whatever it takes to restore their health and dignity? (Not very likely).

Will the occasional idiot want to forgive and forget? (Yes).

Does his talk, if it takes place have any meaning at all beyond election hype? Emphatically not.

29. Bill Perdue 10 May 2009, 7:28pm

Cameron, little brother of George Bush, at a Pride festival?

Will he be wearing his armband, the one with that twisty little cross thingy? (Maybe, they think we’re all weird fetishists).

Will he wear a flaksuit and be surrounded by bodyguards. (He’d better.)

Will he push the Milk Snatchers wheelchair so she can address the crowd and admit that she and virtually all Tories are pigheaded anti-LGBT bigots, misogynists, war mongers and hand puppets of the rich? (Unlikely).

Will he track down the victims of section 28 and promise to propose a bill to restore lost wages, with interest, and to pay whatever it takes to restore their health and dignity while admitting full Tory blame for this shameful act? (Not very likely).

Will the occasional idiot want to forgive and forget? (Yes).

Would his talk have any meaning except as a particularly misleading form of election hype? Emphatically not.

30. Robert, ex-pat Brit 11 May 2009, 2:06pm

Bill, right on!

Jean-Paul, the biggest parasites of all are the state Church of England and its sister Roman cult. Get rid of that and you’d have fewer parasites in both parties, many of whom are in lock step with them. Just look at the House of Lords for starters. An unelected, undemocratic bunch of parasites with one or two exceptions who are trampled on by the bigots and cultists. Eliminate that and we’d see better times for LGBT people and the nation in general.

When the tories take number 10, all you will see is lower tax rates for the wealthy and ways to avoid paying them and bigger deficits. They’re notorious for running up huge deficits at the expense of taxpayers and passing along the debt to them. Now I wonder what the tory supporters would say if this had happened under a Cameron administration? Blame labour I suppose.