Miss California defends gay marriage comments

1. She may be stupid or a bigot, but she’s honest about it, how refreshing.

2. Jennifer K. 21 Apr 2009, 12:42pm

I agree with Perez, she is a dumb bitch. Everyone is equal, and that doesn’t only apply to the racist section of the world. God created us in His image, so anyone whose gay, bisexual, or transgender is in His image. Geeze, get over yourself.

3. I don’t think she’s refreshingly open – I suspect she’s just too stupid to dissemble with any measure of success.

4. Prejan: “You can never compromise your beliefs and your opinions for anything.”

Einstein: “When the facts change, so do my opinions”.

You’re no Einstein are you, love?

5. stephen kay 21 Apr 2009, 1:44pm

I must admit I am now a Perez hilton fan and have added his site to daily viewing list. She just didn`t deserve the crown as she would not have been able to preform her duties as Miss USA with a million gays baying for her blood at every event.

6. Yes Har how refreshing she felt confident especially after the nasty Californian vote on Gay marriage rights to spout her ill thought out, logically ridiculous and bigotted comments to a gay judge.Saying she didn’t mean to cause offence suggests she recognised that offence would be caused yet she refreshingly blustered on anyway her opinion the more important. She is completely obnoxious. I also find refreshing the hate filled teabaggers who are blatant about their hatred of Obama due to his race.

7. Hmmm? All of you on here must be gay. Who cares,when it is so sick that you should have to be forced to like gays or gay marriage to win a Miss America crown,this damn sorry country has gotten way out of hand. Just because your hay or in a gay marriage,DOES NOT! mean everyone has to like or accept it. I have got friends that are gay but i dont hate them,we hang out and play ball.But that doesn’t mean i have to change my beliefs to be their friend. And if we are all supposed to be so damn equal then gays wouldn’t throw a pissing fit when someone voices their opinion. We were created in gods image BUT!, i don’t think god created us all while laying with another of the same sex.

8. Gene Touchet 21 Apr 2009, 2:39pm

Ah, she’s positioning herself to be the next Repuglican wet dream commentator, a la the Coltergeist.

9. Where does it say that we don’t have freedom of speech. This country is sorry as hell when you can’t voice your opinion anymore. Where does it say that if your gay or in a gay marriage,everyone must like it. I have friends that are,but we hang out and everything,but that dont mean i hate them,but it doesn’t mean i have to like what they are into. And if we are all so damn equal,then why are you assholes bitching just cause she stated her beliefs? We all were created in Gods image but, i don’t think he did it while laying with another of the same sex!

10. She should have just have said “World Peace” like all the other airheads in that vapid meat-market. It just goes to show, it’s better to look good and keep your pretty little gob shut…

11. Edward in Los Angeles 21 Apr 2009, 5:28pm

Like Gertrude Stein once said, “A bigot is a bigot is a bigot”. Or did she say a rose-colored bigot? I forget – Lol

12. Andy & Steve 21 Apr 2009, 6:02pm

Isn’t vanity a mortal sin? Oh well, another 50lbs of silicone to go pop in her hell……

Echoing Perez…. silly bitch.

13. David of WF on the Sheyenne 21 Apr 2009, 6:33pm

God Bless Miss California Carrie Prejan for her ability to stand up and speak up for what she believes. I commend her for not molly-coding to the liberal gay community and the quears from hollywood..*(actors & actresses). Good for you Carrie, I for one am proud of your ability to stand up for what you believe.

14. Pumpkin Pie 21 Apr 2009, 8:07pm

“The audience would have wanted me to be more politically correct.”
    “The audience would have wanted me to be less of a hateful bigot.”

For all that the bigots accuse us of hiding behind this insidious “political correctness”, they do seem to be getting a heck of a lot more use out of the term than we do.

15. Gay community strives at being educated and eloquent when defending its position, however, they fail to maintain posture, and they fail to show the respect that they so much demand when someone expresses to be in disagreement with their preference/choice. Gay community vigorously defend their rights and freedom, but when an opponent makes use of that freedom to disagree, they savagely attack and offend. Since gays quote the Bible so often, here’s one for you: “by their fruit you shall know them”. Perez Hilton is a great example of this. Miss California expressed her convictions truthfully without attacking anyone. Instead, Mr. Hilton called her “dumb b…” What a class, Mr. Hilton!

16. @Noelia

Would you be of the same view if Miss California had made the same comments about mixed-race marriage?

17. Ivan, my view is my own, and it’s not conditioned to Miss California’s answer. I don’t mean to debate on gay marriage, my point here is to analyze the after-reaction of Mr. Perez Hilton. Having a gay brother myself, I know that gays emphasize that “we are all equal and should have same rights, and we should all be respected”. But the truth is that gays don’t respect people who disagree with them. So it’s very difficult to have a civilized debate when the tendency is to attack upon disagreement.

18. Jamie O'Neill 21 Apr 2009, 9:17pm

Bravery is beautiful to see. This young lady made these remarks in a contest she no doubt wished to win. She might have hidden her true convictions: she did not. She might have avoided a direct response in the vein of “states rights” or somesuch: she did not. She had much to lose, yet she stood by her convictions. I disagree wholeheartedly with her opinions, but I applaud her bravery in expressing them.

19. “Perez Hilton” is a gross human being in so many ways, and his celebrity gossip blog is really the bottom of the barrel.

Miss California is equally gross in so many ways.

They’re both entitled to their opinions, but I don’t think they’re representative of anyone but medium-low-functioning drones.

20. Both Perez Hilton and Miss California are gross humans, and representative only of medium-low-functioning dolts everywhere.

21. Well said, Jamie O’Neill. Because of people like you and because of people like my gay brother and his husband is that I can have a healthy view towards homosexualism. Like I told my brother, whom I love so much, “I may not agree with you, but I love you”. My brother and his husband are great men, wonderful human beings, educated, and responsible citizens. I just didn’t see the need to make a war out of it. Everyone has a battle of their own.

22. jonnielondon 21 Apr 2009, 10:51pm

Noelia, not agreeing with homosexuality is like not agreeing with the moon: it’s still there, it’s natural, and no one is going to change that fact! It’s normal for 10% to be gay; it’s normal for 2-3% to be transgender; it’s normal for 37-46% to be bi, and it’s normal for some minority to be straight too.

23. @Noelia

Nice try. But the answer to my question is?

24. maybe you lost because you’re not as attractive as you think you are?

Anyways theres always going to be people like Prejan. I dont exactly find her ‘refreshing’ because i hear that kind of stuff everyday how gay people shouldnt be able to get married.

25. Edward in Los Angeles 22 Apr 2009, 7:00am

I love some of the generalizations I’m seeing on this page. “Gays don’t respect people who disagree with them”…or “they savagely attack and offend”. Noella, first off, it’s time to drop the stereotyping. And #2, it’s time gay people get angry. With NO OTHER MINORITY could this woman have gotten away saying such a bigoted comment on live television. She wasn’t brave, SHE’S A BIGOT! She didn’t even think about what she was saying, she is just conditioned by her religion and upbringing to spew off at the mouth. (Listen to what her grandmother said the next day in defending her!) Perez Hilton isn’t Dear Abby, he’s PISSED OFF and he has a right to be! We all have a right to be. Because it’s OUR RIGHTS at stake, Noella. It’s obviously not YOUR RIGHTS that are at stake here, or you wouldn’t be talking like you are.

26. Pumpkin Pie 22 Apr 2009, 9:34am

Any persecuted minority should NEVER respect the views of those who hate them because they’re different. This always has been the case, it always should be the case.

27. Edward in Los Angeles 22 Apr 2009, 12:18pm

Well put, Pumpkin Pie. You said it better than I could.

28. Funny how liberals are supposed to be so tolerant and they believe in free speech, but as soon as someone expresses an opinion that isn’t in line with their own, they’re called horrible names and belittled. I am really proud of Carrie. That took alot of courage for her to stand up for her convictions, even though she knew it would cost her the crown. No one should be afraid to stand up for what they believe in. This doesn’t make her a bigot. It’s her personal conviction. Aren’t people still allowed to have those? What’s the country coming to? God help us.

29. stephen kay 22 Apr 2009, 2:32pm

@noella…u have a gay brother yet you still don`t agree with homosexuallity. I have no idea what u are talking about. Do u still want him to be straight is that what you mean? Your eyes are open yet you still don`t see!!!Gay people are born gay and deserve the equal protection afforded staright people.There is nothing that your disagreeing xcan do to change that. You could however join a group like “Focus on the family” who is trying to bring in legislation that protects Christians who bully gay kids.That group doesn`t agree with homosexuallity..that is what not agreeing with homosexuallity is about…I nthink it`s best u go and educate yourself before u comment on issues dealing with our liberation you daft cow!!!

30. Miss California didn’t attack anyone; she was in the spot light and had to answer truthfully. If you, gay, were put in the middle of an Evangelical congregation (not that you want to), and were asked the same question, you would’ve answered truthfully, no matter what.

31. Why is carrie so hated just because she kindly and lovingly expressed that she does not believe in same sex marrige? You can’t hate everyone you come across that has a different opinion than you do. There are millions of people out there who are against gay marriage (myself being one of them) so why is she any different? You know, it would be different if she did it in a hateful way, but she didn’t. Perez asked her an honest question and she gave an honest answer. She wasn’t rude, she wasn’t hateful; she simply stated her beliefs. Is there anything wrong with that? I get so tired of people saying that Bible believing Christians are so hateful when they speak out against a subject such as this one and that they need to be more loving. Miss California was in no way hateful. She spoke honestly and with love and she is still being hated because of it.

32. Ivan & co.
    One thing is for sure, everyone who disagrees with homosexuality DOESN’T hate homosexuals. I sense as if some of you feel that it is the case. Believe it or not, it’s possible to disagree and still keep a cordial relationship. I know there a lot of people out there who HATE gays, just like muslims HATE Christians, etc. etc. My view is God’s view (in the Bible). But I don’t stand by those who claim to be christians and yet crucify everyone who chooses to live by other standards than those of God. Crucifying someone whom we believe is living contrary to God’s intended purpose, that itself, would be contradicting God; but know that His Word remains, and it doesn’t change depending on our choices (including me 1st). God created us all, and He loves us all. And just because I’m not part of your battle doesn’t mean I don’t have my own. And FYI, we may have all the statistics we can find, which by the way, are not found in the Bible, but biblically God made penis and vagina, therefore there are 2 genders. Homosexuality is a preference/choice people make (not a nature thing), just as there are many other things in life that we, people, choose for ourselves that are not according to God’s intended purpose for mankind. If you have ears, hear what God is telling you, my friend.

33. Alan Parker 22 Apr 2009, 3:53pm

@Felicia

If she had said that it was her belief that a black man shouldn’t marry a white woman which, let’s face it is something that the religious right believed not that very long ago, would you still defend her?

If she had said that she believed that enslaving black people was right, as was justified by the religious right not that long ago, would you still defend her?

I classify myself as liberal, and believe that free speech is one of cornerstones of a civilised society. However, I also believe that the kind of hatred generated by the kind of ill informed comments made by Ms Prejan have no place in this day and age. It’s a pity that he outdated and prejudiced viewpoint cost her the competition but, c’est la vie.

Equality means equality for all, not equality for some but we religious folk want to be able to call the LGBT community whatever we want. If you boil it down, people choose their religion, they don’t choose their sexuality.

34. I am not sure if Carrie Prejan could be regarded as dumb. Although she did look somewhat dumbstruck by the question Perez asked her.
    But as for being a bitch,Perez gets the tiara here for his abusive video blog.

35. Edward in Los Angeles 23 Apr 2009, 12:19am

Noella, your logic becomes more and more skewed each time you post. If I, gay, (as you phrased it) was put in the middle of an Evangelical congregation and I stood up for gay marriage….I WOULD BE STANDING UP FOR EQUAL RIGHTS!! She was standing up for taking away our rights! For crissake, either think things out before you post here or take a beginning college course in logic.

36. Edward in Los Angeles 23 Apr 2009, 12:22am

You’re right Rachel, she isn’t hateful…she’s just a bigot. When someone disagrees with another human being having the same rights as you, that’s the exact definition of a bigot.

37. Edward in Los Angeles 23 Apr 2009, 12:26am

I have ears, Noella and my God is telling me that you spend far too much time telling other people how to live their lives. Spend more time asking yourself how to improve yourself, rather than how to improve others. God, that sounds like it could be the 11th commandment.

38. Pumpkin Pie 24 Apr 2009, 11:31am

Nice going, Edward and Alan.

You guys covered pretty much everything I wanted to. I’d just like to make it known to Noelia that there are homosexual animals in nature. Animals don’t “choose”. One theory is that homosexuality is a safety guard against over-population, resulting in mates who won’t increase the numbers of the group, but can contribute to the existing group and look after the young that other mates can’t care for (yes, several species of animals do practice adoption).

Also, I’d just like to reiterate that if you’re trying to deny me equal rights and advocating that I should be mentally conditioned to act in a way that you find acceptable, it is hateful. I don’t care if you do it with a smile on your face, with the hope that I can be “cured” and see the “light” and be bestest buddies with your weirdo cult forever and ever. I don’t care if you give me a hug or a motherfucking cookie, it’s still hateful. Screw you.

39. Leon K Fox 1 May 2009, 9:22am

What a bigot, but at least she didn’t try to beat around the bush and use religion as an excuse