Mark Oaten: ‘Journalists knew about my secret gay sex life three years before exposé’

1. What the paper mean with ‘public interest’ is that its quite devious to rent boys while married. What a shocker for his poor wife as one can imagine it had often had to go hand in hand with lies about where he is/was and THAT is what is in public interest. Can such a person be trusted? It is quite diffrent when two partners have an ‘open’ relationship or where both partners are bisexual or where they have a prior agreement to invite other people into their bedroom, but god knows it can NEVER be nice for any woman to find that her ‘st8′ husband is not paying boys for sex and then offer the quite lame excuse of a receding hairline. Can you imagine how she must’ve recalled every time he lied through his teeth when he told her he’d be working late! Common, queer or not – there someting very much man of the night about it and awefully untrustworthy if that is the value he’d attached to his marriage. I am of the opinion that people make mistakes and everyone deserve a second chance. Wish him all the luck to make better choices in the future.

2. So the NotW is a “family newspaper” now is it? Well, if only my father had brought that paper home for me to read on Friday afternoons when I was 10 years old instead of my favourite comic book then maybe I’d have turned out straight. ;)

3. Brian Burton 6 Apr 2009, 4:44pm

I am desperatley sorry for Mark Oaten who lives not too far from me in Hampshire. Irrespective of his Marital status and sexual preferences, he was an excellent M.P.

4. Mark Oaten is quite correct. Some years ago, I dated a reporter who was writing for both the Sun and NoW. He was bisexual (I’m gay), but the newspapers didn’t know. He told me the NoW would regularly hold stories until they would have the most impact. Or, they would kill a story if it would embarass one of their “friends”. Let’s just say that the NoW is very selective about what they think is “newsworthy”.

5. Anything owned by Rupert Murdoch is suspect. No sympathy for Oaten though. We have come a long way since Stonewall. He could have done so much better by being honest to his wife and family and reached is full potential as a respected representative of his electorate.

6. Personal issues like this are only of interest when there are signs of hypocrisy.

The tory party of the 90’s (Major screwing Currie for instance) – talking about back to basics and not living up to their own standards; gay C of E bishops – outed, rightly, by Tatchell & Co.;

However – Oaten to my knowledge, never moralised to anyone. So, why is the fact he ordered a rent boy any more interesting than ordering a pizza? His private life should stay that, unless it affects the taxpayer or those who voted for him.

7. I have slightly more sympathy for the closeted married man who deceives his wife than I do for the heterosexual man who does it. But not much sympathy. Deceiving your partner is an awful thing to do and any kind of dishonesty by an MP is relevant whether it involves hypocrisy or not.

8. vulpus_rex 7 Apr 2009, 9:14am

Did the grubby, deceitful Oaten claim his rent boy as part of his parliamentary expenses?

Well done to the NOTW for telling Oaten where to stick his completely faux, contrived sense of martyrdom.

He really isn’t the vitim here – he should discuss being “upfront and honest” with his wife and kids!

9. Brian Burton 7 Apr 2009, 12:02pm

You nasty little ‘Sex Bully’ Vulpus Rex. You must live a very nasty Grubby little life! Individualism is a form of art but can be brutalizing as you so delicately enthuse!

10. vulpus_rex 7 Apr 2009, 12:16pm

Brian – it is hard to discern from your hap-hazardly scattered non-sequitors what point you are actually trying to make.

11. Colm Howard-Lloyd 7 Apr 2009, 1:50pm

Oh dear, that rather ruins his claim that it was a recent and infrequent daliance.

The newspapers were aware of it for three years.

I have no particular critiscm of him for his exploits – it’s none of my business if he chooses to be unfaithful – however I would expect honesty from those in public office. Especially *after* they’ve been exposed.

12. Simon Murphy 7 Apr 2009, 1:59pm

I have zero sympathy for Oaten. If the NotW knew about his sexual orientation for 3 years then surely he should have come out as bisexual during that time. Then there would have been no story. He chose to remain in the closet and deceive his wife. If he had been honest with her and the electorate before the NoTW ran their story then everyone would have been spared the hurt and embarrassment. He needs to take responsibility for his own actions.

13. Brian Burton 7 Apr 2009, 3:43pm

What closed minds you potificators possess and how do you know he decived his wife. Do’nt you realise wives know their Husbands and their failings. Like you lot, Mark Owten is less than perfect but that’s not a capitol offence. Mark may be tragic but he’s still exquisite. As for you Edipus Rex–get stuffed!

14. Brian Burton 8 Apr 2009, 9:04am

Now for your edification you pontificators: I met a guy in a Gay Pub and I took him back to my place for sex. Afterward he told me he was married and was the Father of a 15 years old son. They were all staying in a nere-by Hotel for a short break at that time. I asked if his wife knew about his liaisons and he said yes but I do’nt get off the leash often. The next day when I saw him again, he looked as though someone had punched him in the face. When I asked what happened to him, he replied that his wife was waiting for him behind the Hotel room door and when he entered she socked him. She said you are not going on a manhunt on this break: He told me; I hav’nt really forgiven her yet! Now my Dear Kind Friends, should he be condemed or complimented?

15. “Least said soonest mended” may be the appropriate adage in this case. This (allegedly scatological & masochistic) can-of-worms would have been better left closed, I think.

Unfortunately for the not-very-politically-astute Mr Oaten he’s handed the high ground over to the NoW on this one.

Their spokesman is right when he says ” …perhaps it is the married MP who paid rent boys for kinky sex who should consider a more ‘upfront and honest’ approach.”

When Mark Oaten married his wife he made a covenant or contract of marriage with her. When he became a father he took on responsibility for the care & upbringing of his kids. Presumably no-one held a gun to his head and forced him to do so. He then repeatedly broke his covenant by illegally hiring the services of male prostitutes for a number of years when he could have gone out & just picked up guys for sex.

The fact that a wife & kids and apparently ‘stable family life’ confer enormous political & social advantage over others in less ‘privileged’ situations shouldn’t be overlooked either.

He has shown that he is neither a ‘Man of his Word’ nor really politically astute.

If we are willing to keep voting dishonest, incompetent individuals like this (whether ‘straight’ or openly LGBT, and regardless of party affiliation) into positions of power, is it any wonder we don’t like the results?

16. Brian Burton 10 Apr 2009, 2:51pm

Rob Fox, clearly you do not know Mark Owten and to condem him in such a cavalier manner is plain stupid. He has aquitted himself for us as a M.P. very well and only a lesser person will replace him. Mark’s crime was been found out. Now, Rob Fox What sins and crimes are you guilty of? and not been found out? The only senceable thing you said was; least said, soonest mended!

17. Simon Murphy 11 Apr 2009, 12:22am

Oaten’s crime was being ‘found out’ as you say Brian Burton.

However the real offence in my view was that he was dishonest. He was married sure but was his wife aware that he is bi? If not then why not. If so then were his constituents aware that he is bi? If not then why not. In this day and age I think it is incredibly boring and cowardly for people who put themselves forward for public office to deceive people about their sexuality.

Like I said already if he had been openly bi (and in terms of being an elected public official I see no reason why he shouldn’t be) there would have been no story.

Closet cases (who have no excuse to be) need to get a grip.

18. Brian Burton 11 Apr 2009, 8:26am

I wondered If you would add your 2p worth Simon Murphy! Indeed, you are very vocal on just about every subject artticle on this site. Jack of all trades but Master of non (that is what you remind me of) some one quite lost in his own self-importance and morality. Standards have droped cociderably since we became a Banana Republic type Country in recent years. People like you have been intromental in achiving Banana status because of your anti establishment, boring (and constant)ravings. As I mentioned before, do’nt you think an intelligent wife would not know her Husband and his failings? You have a lot to learn about life Simon Murphy, Indeed You Have!

19. Essentially he shoudl be judged in the same light as any other MP who is habitually adulterous or consorts with prostitutes.

I wouldn’t tolerate this in my partner, but then I don’t have a marriage or a civil partnership with my MP (thank goodness), so unless they are being hypocritcal on political issues, I believe this should remain a private matter.

Should Kennedy, or |Clinton or Lloyd George have been drummed out of office? I’m not convinced.