Obama administration delays changes to military gay ban

1. YAY!! i think that is very important for those individuals who want to fight for their country to be allowed to!! Obama rocks my monkey socks!!!

Next: gay marriage!!!

2. I wouldn’t really say yay.. they’ve buckled and said they are delaying doing anything.. that’s bad in my book.. lets hope they don’t back out altogether.
    They have no reason not to remove this stupid, backward policy.
    I’m in the U.K armed forces and things work well with LGBT persons serving openly

3. Simon Murphy 30 Mar 2009, 1:54pm

No surprise here.

Who’s betting that by the time the next presidential election comes round the ban will still be in place?

Obama is of course streets ahead of that murderous monster George W Bush but bizarrely gay people seem to regard him as some sort of hero to the gay cause despite the fact that he is opposed to gay marriage; allowed some homophobic extremist give his inauguration prayer and is now using his defence secretary to tell gay people that there are no plans at present to lift the gay military ban.

4. Obama is proving to be a disappointment to gay people.

5. Gino Meriano 30 Mar 2009, 2:29pm

My problem is simple, its a long list of items that he will not be able to uphold and this is just another one

I wonder what will make us all proud of Obama in 100 days when it comes to the LGBT community

6. What a disappointment Obama will be to gay people!

7. Isa Kocher 30 Mar 2009, 2:59pm

it’s a stupid self serving policy which hurts military readiness and adds millions of dollars of costs and denies security forces and security issues necessary resources. not to speak of the fundamental injustice. this is what happens when narrow dogmatic religious fundamentalist prejudice trumps science and rational decision making. like the pope’s benny dictator’s obsessions with condoms.

8. Isa Kocher 30 Mar 2009, 3:03pm

obama is fundamentally in his gut a heterosexualist and has not a clue how deeply he hurts us, cuz we aren’t really people to him. he’s a well meaning policy wonk, but principles and people come 2nd after policy. welcome to the warren.

9. Mihangel apYrs 30 Mar 2009, 4:12pm

so more gay soldiers will suffer while they risk their lives for their country

10. The usual lip service from a politician homophobic to the end! Shame on you Obama. Another let down.

11. Lip service once again well you’re standing by your homophobic views and it’s a pity you’d make GW proud.

12. Ending the human rights abuse that is Guantanamo bay must have been pretty complicated but the order to get it done was heralded in a few days. It’s a matter of priorities and clearly gay rights are not on the list. When Clinton was elected people thought he would bring change but he just made life worse for gays. Expectations of Obama have been so high he was bound to disappoint. For all his fine words he’s a politician and cares more for popularity than fairness.

13. Neville, I hope you are wrong. But this is not a good start at all.

14. Mihangel apYrs 30 Mar 2009, 9:15pm

if he had any balls he’d suspend any pending cases, and order that no other cases are brought until the issue is settled.

However I’m beginning to get the feeling he’s principally a populist who’d do anything for power (meet the US Blair!)

15. I think that you are correct, Mihangel. He wants to run with the hare, and hunt with the hounds. Another Tony Blair (ie. the war criminal (allegedly)! I hope that Obama does not end up hated by nearly everybody, as Blair has done.

16. You are absolutely right Ron753. Blair deserves to be tried as a war criminal along with George Bush. Obama still has the chance to do things right. He should be strong.

17. Jen Marcus 31 Mar 2009, 5:12pm

I am already disappointed with Obama on several major issues certainly this one,his handling of the financial bail out as it applies to the auto industry,his position on same sex marriage, his failure to appoint an LGBT person to his cabinet, the innaugural invocation debacle with the relegious right preacher, Warren. I think he is turning out to be just another politician who promised the American people the moon and he doesn’t even deliver a green cheese pizza! (sigh)I think Hillary would have been a better and more fair president for LGBT Americans.

18. Bishop Ioan 31 Mar 2009, 6:14pm

I didn’t vote this last election but if I had, it would only have been for Obama as the lesser of two evils. I really had no hopes that this man would step up to the plate and do the right thing for LGBT people. When I heard his views on marriage equality and then when the McClurkin debacle became public, it was glaringly obvious to me that Obama is a heterosexualist and will do nothing for the millions of LGBTQ Americans who voted for him.

19. Terry Floyd Johnson 31 Mar 2009, 6:15pm

this is just another form of social genocide being brought against gays, bis and transgenders. We are sucking hot air to get them to please us by changing this…we need to get political and make them change it…not beg them to.