Survey: Should the BBC have punished Chris Moyles over “anti-gay” broadcast?

1. Simon Murphy 25 Mar 2009, 10:23am

2 points:

1. The word in the headline should surely read ‘Survey’ and not ‘Surey’

2. There is no link to click on in the story.

Watch the editing folks – this article is very amateurish.

2. I’m still waiting to hear about this alleged ‘punishment’. Being told not to do it again was the same punishment he got last time.

3. They should do a ‘Wossy & Brand’ on him, then let his come back.

4. Ian Laughlin 25 Mar 2009, 10:37am

Yes, the BBC is institutionally homophobic, as it has been since the early days of broadcasting. Stonewall’s 2007 survey of broadcasting stations found that all the BBC radio and teleision services were considerably behind independent broadcasters when it comes to fair treatment of LGBT communities. I doubt that the corporation will remove Mr Moyles from the airwaves – at least until his general popularity wanes and he is replaced by the latest yoof dimwit.

Historically, the BBC has not changed unless pressure has been exerted from outside. BBC Radio 1 itself was only created at the insistence of the government in 1967 after they lost control of sound broadcasting to a dozen and more offshore stations operating from ships and wartime gunning towers around the coastline, and which trounced the BBC with a combined 35 million a week audience. (The late great gay broadcaster Kenny Everett designed and built the Radio 1 studios with Tony Blackburn – something that Chris Moyles may wish to reflect on when he’s in the hallowed Breakfast programme chair).

Unfortunately, the presence of a compulsory license fee makes pressuring the BBC to reform difficult. The only successful non payment campaign was in North and West Wales during the later 1970’s and early 1980’s, when large scale witholding of the TV license fee was used as part of the campaign for Welsh language television network Sianel 4 Cymru to be introduced alongside Channel Four in 1982.

BBC Radio 1 might still be airing homophobia, but at least we do have a small radio voice these days. Gaydar Radio (DAB and online), Pinke Radio and FYI are all on the air; and Manchester’s Gaydio project has been awarded a 5 year FM license to broadcast round the urban areas of the city and Brighton’s Juice FM has reasonable amounts of gay and lesbian output. If you have a community radio station near you (most urban areas now have legal community stations) then get involved – part of these stations’ remit is to air programmes for the LGBT communities.

5. Simon Murphy 25 Mar 2009, 10:51am

It will do no harm at all to contact the BBC to ask how they are going to punish Moyles and to ask if they are institutionally homophobic.

Contact them at https://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbcfaqs/emailstatic/emailPage?entryID=complaint&moduleID=contact
    I asked the following:

“The BBC has said it will deal with Chris Moyles ‘swiftly and firmly over his homophobic outburst on January 20th this year. Considering his previous homophobia and a growing awareness of institutional homophobia within the BBC please advise HOW he will be punished’

6. Simon Murphy 25 Mar 2009, 10:53am

Contact them at :https://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbcfaqs/emailstatic/emailPage?entryID=complaint&moduleID=contact
    I asked the following:

7. The fact remains, the producer (Aled Hayden Jones) on the Chris Moyles Show is gay, and seems to have deemed this fit to air, along with the fact Scott Mills, the drive time host is also openly gay, i do not think the bbc are homophobic and this is a witchhunt

8. Simon Murphy 25 Mar 2009, 11:18am

Aled Hayden Jones and Scott Mills roles as openly gay people within Radio 1 are tokenistic. If Moyles had engaged in sneering racial stereotypes to mock Seal or Leona Lewis he would be so fired as we all know. It may well be a witch-hunt but it’s a witch-hunt inspired by blatantly homophobic double standards. The BBC deems casual racism to be utterly unacceptable but casual homophobia is acceptable (by inclusion of the token gay team member by which they seem to think that casual homophobia is allowed)

9. There’s a yobbish culture at the heart of the BBC and that is largely responsible for the casual homophobia. See, for example, my blog on 26th October 2008.

Regrettably even after spending half a million pounds on its Safeguarding Trust initiative, the Corporation is institutionally dishonest. It doesn’t keep to its diversity promises and the public is regularly treated with contempt.

Last Friday, as part of his introduction to his house band, Jonathan Ross said that his programme had resulted in a charity being raided – it turns out the truth is that a police officer went round to the charity (Secret World) to ask a few questions after a complaint from the public.

10. It seems to me that the BBC is only comfortable portraying “fluffy” gays, those who straight audiences don’t perceive as being a “threat” to them. As such, stereotypes of gays being camp, effeminate & overly-sensitive are re-inforced.

11. It should also be added that both Aled Jones and Scott Mills hardly ever refer to their sexual orientation. I know a number of people who were surprised to hear that Scott Mills is gay. He may not wish to become a gay martyr and I guess that’s his right, but his employment does not automatically mean that the BBC is not fostering institutional homophobia.

As has already been said, the BBC’s output is severely lacking in LGBT representation – take the soaps for instance. Hollyoaks, Emmerdale and Coronation Street have been far more inclusive of gay, lesbian and transgender people in recent years than Eastenders has, which is sad considering Eastenders was the very first soap to introduce gay characters to their cast.

The fact that independent broadcasters, who really don’t have any obligation to provide inclusive programming, are ahead of the BBC in their representation of LGBT people says a huge amount.

12. sensibly common 25 Mar 2009, 12:36pm

Regardless of my opinion on the matter, I must point out that this isn’t exactly the most neutrally-worded survey I’ve ever seen.

It may as well have read:
    “Big fat ignorant homophobic bully Chris Moyles was being a nasty horrible man. We even called him a nasty man a couple of years ago. Do you agree?”

13. As much as I hate his act, I don’t really need to see Chris Moyles sacked. I think he deserves the same treatment Ross and Brand got over Sachsgate… a 3 month suspension without pay, a formal warning and an apology. Let’s keep things in proportion.
    It just bugs me that Ross and Brand got suspended and questions asked in the house of commons for playing a juvenile prank on just one individual, whereas Moyles appears to be Mr. Teflon.
    If Jonathon Ross is a big radio personality and is made to publicly grovel for his job, why does Moyles get away with a pathetic slap on the wrist for indulging in homophobic banter for his young audience to emulate in the schoolyard again and again?

14. I think Moyles is just looking for publicity. He knows how sensitive gay issuses are at the moment and he simply uses this to promote himself – the Roman Catholic Pope does so why not Moyles. The BBC employes hundreds of gay people. I am gay and a broadcaster although I don’t work for the BBC.
    I don’t think there will be any disciplinary action asgainst Moyles, I maybe wrong of course, because he is a popular presenter and they don’t want to lose him. Don’t get me wrong, I am not making light of the situation, I think it stinks, but at the end of the day, Moyles, is good for the broadcasting business or so the BBC seem to think.

15. Simon Murphy 25 Mar 2009, 3:55pm

The director General of the BBC is a man named Mark Thompson. Why not drop him a line at his email address which is:

mark.thompson@bbc.co.uk.

16. Simon Murphy 25 Mar 2009, 3:55pm

Dear Mark Thompson,

I am writing to inform you that I will not be paying my BBC license fee in the future.

As a gay person I do not see any reason to pay this fee to an organisation (like the BBC) which tolerates and accepts casual homophobia and refuses to reprimand staff for their casual bigotry against the gay community.

My decision to stop paying my license fee stems from the decision by the BBC not to reprimand or punish Chris Moyles after an Ofcom judgement found Moyles to be in breach of broadcasting guidelines after his homophobic comments about Will Young on his Breakfast Show on 20 January 2009.

This follows an earlier occasion where the BBC refused to reprimand Moyles for his use of the word ‘gay’ to describe something useless.

Also no action was taken against Jeremy Clarkson or DJ Spoony for homophobic comments in recent times.

This acceptance of casual homophobia by presenters across the BBC and the refusal of BBC management to take the matter seriously indicates an institutional homophobia across the BBC.

Had Moyles used sneering racial or sexist stereotypes against black or Asian or female singers I have absolutely no doubt that serious action would have been taken to ensure that the culprit apologised and that the incident was not repeated.

Why the homophobic double standard.

As all the evidence points to an institutional homophobia in the BBC I will be with-holding my license fee until the issue has been addressed seriously

Yours sincerely

17. Aled Hayden Jones and Scott Mills should be given a slap around the face for not speaking up about this issue. As it is, they come over as a couple of self-loathing, scroteless idiots. “Oh yes, don’t worry, it’s quite OK to routinely use homophobic ‘banter’ in our broadcasts.”

They seem to have conveniently forgotten that opinions and language used on air makes its way into our playgrounds, workplaces, and the British subconscious of what is acceptable.

18. Well said Simon Murphy. I agree wholeheartedly.

If Moyles, as a heterosexual(?), white male was to imitate a woman performer in a histrionic, implausibly squeaky voice, a black man in a lousy, Jamaican Patois, or an East Asian person in a ridiculous pidgin English, there would be no question as to the sexism, racism and unacceptability of this behaviour. The fact that the BBC don’t really seem to ‘get’ what the problem is, does suggest a kind of systemic blindness in this area, though actually demonstrationg ‘institutional’ homophobia, racism, whatever, is problematic.

Chris Moyles is really just a big, fat, bloated, stupid, ugly coward who aims (like all gutless bullies) for what he sees as a ‘soft’ target.

If you’re the big, witty man, Moyles, let’s see you imitate some ranting wingnut of a Muslim Imam in a crazed Arabic voice!…

19. I notice that some of the other commentators have referred to Moyles as “big” “fat” or “bloated”. I do hope that in our eagerness to join in the jolly witchhunt for homophobes we do not engage in “fatism”… that really would be a case of the “kettle calling the pot (belly) black”. Please also note that my use of the word “black” should not be construed as racist…

20. I notice that some of the other commentators have referred to Moyles as “big” “fat” or “bloated”. I do hope that in our eagerness to join in the jolly witchhunt for homophobes we do not engage in “fatism”… that really would be a case of the “kettle calling the pot (belly) black”. Please also note that my use of the word “black” should not be construed as racist…..

21. I love Will Young to bits, but…. what a load of poop this story is. Chris Moyles is always doing this sort of thing, but note that Will Young has been lampooned before (and rightly so!) by Bo Selecta. He was portrayed as a pervy freak with a parodied voice in Bo Selecta….. so what’s the difference here?

I think gay people just have it in for Moyles, as he’s so openly critical. But then, who doesn’t he lampoon/criticise/send up?? Adn why no outcry over Bo Selecta?

Remember, his audience are all halfwit chavs :) lol … play to your audience!! He’s a clever man for doing this, and maybe we’re all just a little envious of his rise to fame, no matter how shallow.

Do gay people really want to be labelled as whiners, especially when there are much bigger issues to be dealt with? Prop 8, anyone?

22. I think this is all a bit overblown. Moyles’ attitude is one that pokes fun at a variety of people and Aled is often at the receiving end of his ribbing – as do other people who appear on the show; Rachel’s black country accent is an example that comes to mind. I’m gay and I’m a fan of Will Young (hmm, maybe I should keep that to myself) but I don’t think this story warrants the emphasis placed upon it. I’ll continue to enjoy Moyles in the morning and his humour. Yes, he may have been foolish but I don’t think we need to be calling for him to be sacked.

23. Hi, Dan. I’m sure a significant minority of his ‘half-wit’ listeners are racist too. I note that he doesn’t play to them…
    Prop 8 is important – as are many other gay issues – and Moyles remarks may seem trivial in comparison, but they’re not. His casual and repeated homophobic comments (and those of others) maintain the current climate in the UK that says it’s perfectly acceptable to sneer and laugh at LGBT people, and subject them to abuse.
    When being LGBT is seen as as ‘normal’ as being black or asian, then I think things will move forward. But while it’s seen as some stupid thing or some bizarre lifestyle choice (and many non-religious people believe that too), then trying to push for full equality will be much harder.
    I don’t think Moyles should have been sacked, but he definitely should have been suspended because this is far from the first time he’s used insulting language about LGBT people. It should also be made clear to him, that such bigotry is not acceptable.

24. Ian’s got it right. It doesn’t matter what people say about us as long as we are in the headlines. Like the lyrics of one of Dolly Parton’s greatest tits, I mean greatest hits,: It’s all wrong, but it’s all right.