Gay couple sue Christian hotel for banning them

1. Blatant discrimination. If their policy said that they only let rooms to “married WHITE couples” there’d be an outrage.
    All thsi crap about ‘religious beliefs’ pisses me off – it’s just an excuse for bigotry. If they feel unable to provide a service to all members of the general public, they should have chosen a different career.
    I particularly love the way they’d obviously very carefully added ‘heterosexual’, which I can only presume they’d done in response to CPs. Nasty.
    I’d be interested in what they would think if another hotel HAD put that it only accepted white people – would they think that was acceptable? I’d hope not. Yet this constant obsession with other people’s relationships seems to occupy Christians far too much.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 23 Mar 2009, 2:27pm

I can’t help but feel that Mr Ellis is taking money off this couple God-bothing idiots under false pretenses. They’ve got about f*ck all chance of winning with that tired old argument, it has in only a short space of time been lost again and again

3. I just checked out their website and their policy says that you have to be married – and then goes on to define what marriage is according to their beliefs – between one man and one woman for life. So they check every heterosexual couple’s marriage certificates, do they? (after all no straight couple ever book in as ‘Mr and Mrs Smith’, right?) And I presume they don’t accept re-married divorcees either? And what about transexuals? Do you have to prove your gender is acceptable to them before you check-in.
    Ridiculous!

4. Brian Burton 23 Mar 2009, 2:36pm

If the Gay couple have a valid Civil Partnership document issued by the Registrar, then they should win any action they take in the Courts.

5. This stupid out-of-touch pair are dead in the water and their hotel business could be damaged.
    Ho hum, welcome to the 21st century folks :-)

6. Its a load of rubbish for the hotel owners to claim this is their policy based on Christian beliefs. There are plenty of gay christian couples around including one of my best friends and her partner. As for saying the equality act infringes on their religious freedoms, grrr.

7. Ian Laughlin 23 Mar 2009, 3:25pm

Doubtless assorted anti-gay organisations will be working with the proprietors to finance their case. In addition, we can expect a publicity drive on the part of the Bulls to recast themselves as victims of the “international powerful gay lobby”. One is to hope that if need be, Mssrs Hall and Paddy get the financial support of LGBT groups in progressing their litigation.

In the meantime, we can ourselves exercise our own free speech to play the Bulls at their own game. Know anyone – gay or straight – heading to Kernow/Cornwall this Summer? Suggest a gay run B&B instead. Ask local Tourist Information Offices to make it clear that this business is operated by a particular group of religionist. Advise atheist groups, pagans and liberal Christian denominations that the business is hostile to their beliefs and way of life and that they may wish to consider elsewhere for their holidays.

8. Matt Pepprell 23 Mar 2009, 3:45pm

“We have few rules but please note that out of a deep regard for marriage we prefer to let double accommodation to heterosexual married couples only” – quote from the hotel’s website

Isn’t that like, discrimination? I read in the Daily Bitch that they (the hotel owners) think such a policy is not discriminating in any way! I hope Martin Hall and Stephen Paddy succeed in their court claim

9. Well it was only a matter of time before this old chestnut reared it’s ugly head. I just hope the couple have enough money to fund the lawsuit and set a legal precedent, whilst hopefully putting these idiots using religion as a reason for their homophobic attitudes.

If you can’t run a business according to the law of the land, don’t run one at all.

10. Bravo, Martin Hall and Steven Paddy! You MUST win. It’s important.

What we all ought to be doing, of course, is seeking out all other such homophobic businesses and putting them all to the test. Let’s whip the lot of them into line and into the 21st century!

Here’s a tricky one for you. My partner and I went to a Thai Restaurant several years ago and detected that we were not approved of, though the food was served in reasonably cordial fashion. Once we got home the farting started. Fast, furious, stinking, and never-ending, right through the entire night. We did not sleep a wink. The room was like a gas-chamber. It did not occur to us until about six months ago that was almost certainly deliberate. The folk in the kitchen put a vast amount of something horrendous in our food. Needless to say we never went back. But we never went back because we did not want to go through the same experience again. But how would you report a hate-crime like that, eh? Some heterosexuals are as crafty as hell.

11. Turn it the other way around and refuse to serve Christians. See what kind of discrimination and protests we are subjected to then. Same pie, different filling. They need to understand they are not inviting people into their HOME (where they can chose and dictate what they like), but their BUSINESS, where they need to follow the laws of the land. If they want to selectively interpret the bible, then they need to do it in their own time.

Oh, and another thing – can anyone explain how letting gays get married actually harms heterosexuals? They can still get married, have sex, raise kids etc, etc, so I fail to understand what they are worried about?

12. They have recenetly changed their website comment:

Here at Chymorvah we have few rules, but please note that as Christians we have a deep regard for marriage(being the union of one man to one woman for life to the exclusion of all others).

Therefore, although we extend to all a warm welcome to our home, our double bedded accommodation is not available to unmarried couples – Thank you.

They have removed any reference to the word heterosexual. NMot realy a shocking amendment, but I guess they think they are being less discrinatory – probably on advice the legal representation they are paying for…

13. Where would we be without the waybackwhenmachine to help fill in some of those memory holes people think exist on the internet…

14. I really hope this couple win.

About 5 years ago my partner and I booked a double room in a Mallaig hotel for our holidays in the West of Scotland. Two days before we were due to arrive, we were contacted by the hotel and told us it was suddenly full, despite us booking the room several months in advance. I can only presume that this was because of our sexual orientation. We were offered an alternative hotel accommodation nearby in Morar – a room with 2 single beds! Funnily enough, when we walked in the hotel, we saw a big framed photo of the Pope (John Paul II) in the hallway. It was at this point we realised we’d stumbled into a bible-bashing and bigot terrority. Needless to say we haven’t gone back to Mallaig since.

I was raging that the original hotel could treat me and my partner in this way but there was nothing we could do because there wasn’t any equality laws in place that could protect us.

So good luck to Martin and Steven

15. Sister Mary Clarence 24 Mar 2009, 10:28am

I notice that the hotel has three stars from the English Tourist Council. It begs the questions how, and should they continue to have (maybe a job for someone!).

Weirdly the link given takes you to http://www.wisegrowth.org.uk rather than the English tourist Council

16. While there is a principle at stake, and the gay couple involved should persue it, I’m also getting what I call a ‘Groucho Marx’ vibe from this… that ‘wanting to join a club that wouldn’t have me as a member’.
    Remember, you’re paying hard cash for this hotel, so your money would be funding a bigoted enterprise that hates you and resents your very presence. They’d be staring daggers at you for the duration whether you got your way or not. Is that what you really want? Doesn’t sound like a romantic weekend break to me.
    By all means point out to potential customers that they are homophobic bigots, but fighting for the right to stay there seems like a phyrric victory to me. Better to vote with your feet.

17. Blantant infraction of the Equalities Act (sexual orientation) 2007.

Hope they get sued to high heaven – because God is currently going, “don’t look at me. I didn’t tell these people to be haters.”

18. PCG, Germany 24 Mar 2009, 4:38pm

The owners are in big trouble, since they exclude far more than gays, they exclude everyone who is not married as well as everyone (married or not) other than from the white race. The hotel should be shut down and demolished, that’s my suggestion.

19. Worth having a look at the reports on tripadvisor. This is typical:-

“Awful hotel, old, tired and dirty: our bed was lumpy and the cover was filthy, the shower leaked and the breakfast was inedible – we didn’t risk dinner. The place is crammed with bibles, religious texts and statements saying that they only let rooms to married couples – so take your wedding certificate with you! Mind you, more than one night here would test most marriages severely.”

I don’t think they’ll be in business much longer!

20. Thanks for that link, BSE. How shocking to actually see that on the website. Disgusting.
    And their stupid amending of it cuts no ice as they define marriage as being between a ‘man and a woman’ – so heterosexual, then, in all but name.

21. I think Buddha said it the best, these Christians sure aren’t like their Jesus.

22. Byrne Fone et Alain Pioton 1 Apr 2010, 10:00am

Our letter to the anti gay BNB

Dear Ms Wilkinson

My subject heading may have suggested that I was seeking reservations at your B and B. But of course I learn from the Telegraph that you would not accept us– my partner and I —gay men in a partnership of more than 30 years. And so it must be obvious that I write to say that I have strong reservations about your refusal to accept as guests in your “warm and friendly” B and B two gay men.

I could of course write a vicious and denunciatory note. No doubt many will do so and no doubt you will receive many such. But not only is that illegal to do, more importantly it is impolite and ultimately pointless.. Doing that won’t convince you to look at gay people differently.

I could perhaps have written that the “convictions” that you use to justify your refusal of those two men—or presumably any gay men oe women are not convictions but bigotry, prejudice, discrimination and intolerance. And of course, as I understand it, what you have done is against the law, not only the law of the England, but of the greater moral laws of tolerance and acceptance that ought to govern human conduct, a moral code of acceptance that is in fact the bedrock of all great religions.

I might have noted that your B and B will no doubt suffer some business losses now that the story is “out.” If course no self- respecting gay person will now go to your B and B and many less charitable gay people than I will no doubt let it be known via the vast network of world-wide gay communication about the prejudice that you have exhibited and practice. Gay people, you may be bemused to discover, have non-gay friends who are tolerant and so they too may decide to mention your name as a place to be avoided when they are looking for a B and B in England’s green and pleasant land. (Though I have to say the Telegraph has already done quite well at bringing your “convictions” before the world and thus creating a new reputation for you.) And so, indeed, there is no point in censuring or chiding you. To accuse you and judge you won’t change you. But actually trying to get to know just a few of the millions of gay people who live in the world today might.

And so I would invite you to make a visit to our B and B here in France where we accept with a warm welcome both gay and non-gay people. Staying here you may find that gay people, rather than being whatever it is you imagine us to be—sinners, sodomites, pansies, poofs, perverts–or whatever names you may use in the privacy of your warm and welcoming Band B —are in fact good, decent, kind, law-abiding, hard working and thoughtful human beings. Vast numbers of us— and vast numbers in long partnerships like us—can offer by example a some salutary lessons in the family virtues of loyalty, love and fidelity to the (largely) heterosexual ranks of careless, promiscuous, self-absorbed young ( and not so young) people who fill the news today with sexual antics, multiple marriages, and loose ethics.

Or, instead of coming here, you might find out for yourself by opening your doors and your double beds to gay men and women. You might then discover that the monsters you have imagined and forbidden entrance to your B and B might turn out upon a closer acquaintance to be humans, even to be friends.

Byrne Fone and Alain Pioton