Boy George sentenced to 15 months in prison

1. Dominick J. 16 Jan 2009, 3:40pm

I’m very dissapointed in this person. He was beautiful, and extremely talented and he squandered it…. When is he going to grow up and get right?

2. His over inflated ego & sense of self importance have finally caught up with him and about time. used to think he was fab but he really needed a reality check. WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD GEORGE!!!

3. at least he won t have to pay for “photoshoot” in prison – should save him a few bob.

4. Simon Murphy 16 Jan 2009, 5:08pm

Boy George has admitted to a major cocaine addiction stretching back a few years. His behaviour in New York (and now in London) would indicate that he was using at the time of the crimes. And seeing how coke makes people behave I would well believe he’s capable of these crimes. I have no doubt the hooker was looking to benefit financially from his ordeal. But that doesn’t alter the fact that George committed a crime against him.

5. Terry Floyd Johnson 16 Jan 2009, 5:15pm

Boy George needs to use this time to get his head clear, and realize, he lives with people, and not against them.

His bad habits have obviously gotten out of hand; he needs to join NA, or some group to help him with is drug addiction.

If he gets clean, there is no reason he can’t be on top once again.

6. I think people need to be less judgemental. Im not condoning what he did. BG is clearly an addict. But loads of us are and loads of us do things we should not. I just wish all of us wake up to our addiction issues.
    http://www.slaauk.org http://www.ukna.org http://www.aa-uk.org

7. John Carter 16 Jan 2009, 10:45pm

But did he really want to hurt him. Did he really want to make him cry?

8. I wonder if any of you shallow minded people know George? Like really know him???? Some of us do and let me tell you George is one Loving and Kind person I will never believe that George did this I believe that Audun wanted his 10 minutes of fame and used a wonderful person to do this watch people cause this man will do it again and again and all of you will be eating your words. I love you George your a great friend and I will be thinking of you always you will always be loved very much by me your my friend you have been my strength and a wonderful support. My heartaches for you and the O’Dowd family. Its a shame some people havent had the chance to know the George I know. Your the GREATEST GEORGE I LOVE YOU and I will miss you terribly……Boo xoxox

9. What the hell has happened to this guy….. sad really. Apart from culture club, it’s his DJing I will remember him for, like the Ministry of Sound album he did about 12 years ago…. we’ve been deprived of that talent for a long time now. I hope he gets help, and someone snaps him out of his addiction.

And frankly, it’s time more was done to highlight the drugs problem on the gay scene. A lot of people cannot cope with it.

10. Abi Chrisopher 17 Jan 2009, 1:08pm

BG is a drug addict and criminal who just so happens to be gay. This is another weapon we all will be attacked with. So now in the the eyes of the ill-informed and the god squad and gutter press we all are drug addicted criminals thanks for that George.

11. Simon Murphy 17 Jan 2009, 2:41pm

Allyson – I’m sure George is a nice person at heart and able to be a good friend – but he HAS admitted to a cocaine addiction and cocaine does make people behave in a peculiar manner – lest we forget in New York he reported a robbery to the police and didn’t bother hiding his drugs’ stash – that is not rational behaviour. He’s now been convicted of false imprisonment and assault so he needs to face the consequences of his freely chosen actions. As for this idea that he bears some sort of responsibility as a role model – I don’t think he does. He is responsible only for his own actions – as are well all. He’ll be out in a few months so hopefully he can get his act together and get back to music.

12. Am I the only one who completely despises this piece of crap? I hate him so much, he should be in prison for the next 1,500 years, never mind 15 months. Good riddance! He gives gay people a very bad name, hate him!

13. What a waste of tax payers money locking up a man who over the years has contributed millions to the treasurys coffers , i seem to remember Parliament THANKING Culture Club amongst others in the 80′s for the way they promoted British music overseas and the financial benefits it brought to the industry. Whilst violence can never be condoned i cant see the point in locking someone up who has spent the last 8 months fighting their addictions and cleaning up their act like George has.Delinquents and villains can smash up old ladys faces , bring havoc to their communitys and cost the system millions in benefits and the like yet they get suspended sentences and small fines whilst a national institution and gay icon like George is given a heavy handed sentence for detaining someone for 5 minutes in a flat for stealing images from his PC. Absolutely crazy. There is FAR more to this story than is publicly known at the moment and in time i am sure George will give his side of the story. Lets not forget he did not give evidence. His voice has not been heard….YET. I like Alison know George very well. He is not some callous criminal. The only person he has really hurt in this is HIMSELF. I for one will be waiting with anticipation for his release. Our gay “community” would be a far less interesting place without him. Some people should get off their pedestals and thank him for his contribution not preach about how he has given them a bad name.

14. lee Tomlinson 17 Jan 2009, 5:29pm

I was a little shocked and was sadden that Boy George has been sent to jail. Just watch any of the real crime police series, or look in the paper, people out there committing far worst crimes. Do they receive a prison sentence, in many cases ,no. I don’t understand why the judge was so harsh.

I don’t know Boy George personally but wish him well. I don’t understand why there is so much hate displayed to Boy George.

Lee (www.gayhate.com)

15. Dominick J. 17 Jan 2009, 10:02pm

It would appear that he couldn’t handle his fame. It became bigger than he was ready to accept and turned in on himself destroying hmself. Shame, he was a great talent and great role model for the LBGT community. Screwed that up eh?
    Just mishandled himself and still is.

16. PCG, Germany 18 Jan 2009, 10:49am

I have never been a fan of Boy George, though I am certain he is not guilty of anything. What he is said to have done, is done by millions of people, drug addicts you can well lose the count among homosexuals and heterosexuals. Besides the said to be victim sold the story to a Norwegian magazin for more than £5000.00, this really gives me a great doubt that he was indeed a victim.

Moreover, why would Boy George need to look for sex Gaydar, when he certainly know plenty of people to have sex with? This really seems to be a made up story, pity that the judge cannot see it.

17. if a straight had treated a gay man as BG treated this man we’d have been calling for his head.

Pots and kettles kiddies

18. Boy George Joined The NA Late 2007

19. Josh. You are entitled to your opinion, but to attack other posters that dont agree with you as “sanctamonious queens” or the judge as a “homophobic pig” speaks volumes about your inability to debate in an adult way. Your comment on the judge is libelous.
    It wasnt a bondage session that got out of hand with a bit of “trade” It was a calculated piece of gratuitous violence. George has got what he deserved. We all know he will be out in six months. Its hardly a stretch in prison terms. Let it be a lesson to others and more so to him. Now get over it!

20. They should have sentenced him to 3 weeks in Celeb Big Brother! blacksmith lydig

21. The Norwegian press consequently calls the victim an escort, while everyone else calls him a prostitute. Why?

22. PCG, Germany 19 Jan 2009, 12:16pm

Reply to Lang: Because he paid more than £5000.00 to the Norwegian press to victimise him, but I do think he is a prostitute and he should come forward with the real truth and appologise. As I said before, I am not really a fan of Boy George, but he does not deserve to be arrested for this.

23. by calling him a “prostitute” or “whore” attempts to diminish the wrong.

He’s a working boy: he sells sex, but that doesn’t make him any less deserving of care and protection from punters.

24. Presumably the “male escort” was living off immoral earnings, or maybe he was paying tax like the rest of us. Who knows. However, I don’t think he should have been cuffed to a radiator even though I don’t think he was in any great danger.

I hope BG’s sentence is reduced to six months on appeal.

All the best.