4 December 2008Burundi urged not to criminalise homosexual acts + A leading human rights group has called on politicians in Burundi to drop plans to amend the penal code and prohibit same-sex acts.
4 December 2008EU framework for tackling racism could lead to recognition of homophobic crime 1 The new Framework Decision on combating racism and xenophobia has been adopted by the European Council of Ministers, exactly seven years after it was first presented by the European Commission.
4 December 2008Gay humanists condemn Vatican’s stance on universal decriminalisation 7 The Gay and Lesbian Humanist Association (GALHA) has condemned the Vatican's opposition to a declaration against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
4 December 2008Homophobic preacher stands by Leviticus quote in banned advert 9 The leader of Sandown Free Presbyterian Church has claimed that a ruling by the Advertising Standards Authority interferes with religious freedom.
4 December 2008Catholic adoption agency tells Cardinal that Jesus taught love without prejudice 10 The leader of Scotland's Roman Catholics has resigned as chairman of an adoption agency because it plans to comply with the law.
4 December 2008South African journalist to face equality court over homophobic article 4 Gay rights advocates in South Africa have expressed delight that after pickets and protest the country's Human Rights Commission are to take a journalist to court over a homophobic newspaper article.
4 December 2008Second Presidential candidate nominated for Obama’s new Cabinet 2 Bill Richardson was named as Barack Obama's choice for Commerce Secretary yesterday.
5 December 2008Graham Norton to replace Terry Wogan as host of Eurovision 2 Gay comic Graham Norton is to replace Sir Terry Wogan as the British host of Eurovision.
5 December 2008Boy George convicted of false imprisonment 4 Pop star and DJ Boy George was found guilty of false imprisonment by a jury in London earlier today.
5 December 2008Australia and US not signed up to UN decriminalisation declaration 7 Several nations with sizable gay communities have not signed up to a declaration on the universal decriminalisation of homosexuality to be presented at the UN this month.
5 December 2008Office for National Statistics will start to ask sexuality question in surveys 2 The Office for National Statistics has announced it will start to ask a question about sexual orientation on surveys from next year.
5 December 2008Gay question on ONS surveys will help public bodies with equality duty + The decision of the Office for National Statistics to start asking survey respondents about their sexual orientation could help promote equality.
5 December 2008Draft 2011 Census does not include sexuality question 4 The government's proposed White Paper on the 2011 Census does not include proposals for a question on sexual identity.
5 December 2008Gay groups back lesbian candidate for US Secretary of Labour + A coalition of 12 leading lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans organisation in the United States have written to the country's President-elect urging him to nominate Mary Beth Maxwell.
5 December 2008Two year study concludes seaweed extract ‘ineffective’ against HIV + A trial of a compound extracted from seaweed that was thought to prevent the spread of HIV has proved disappointing.
5 December 2008Nepal’s gay MP to address international leadership conference + The 24th annual International Gay and Lesbian Leadership Conference is underway in Washington DC.
5 December 2008Coming out was the hardest thing I ever did says gay referee 4 The only openly gay man to be a rugby union referee at the highest level of the game has revealed he tried to kill himself because he did not want to be a homosexual.
5 December 2008Relate admits wrongful dismissal of Christian sex counsellor who refused gays 20 Relationships counselling organisation Relate has admitted it it wrongfully dismissed a Christian employee who did not want to work with gay couples.
5 December 2008LGBT Africans demand action on AIDS pandemic ahead of international conference 1 Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people from more than 25 African countries have demanded an urgent response to the HIV pandemic affecting their communities.
5 December 2008MP praises statistics body’s decision to start counting gay population 8 A Lib Dem MP who had called on the Office for National Statistics to include a question on sexual orientation in the 2011 Census has welcomed their decision to start asking survey participants if they are straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or other.
Articles from 2008
- In meeting with Archbishop of Canterbury, the Pope does not specify marriage as between man and woman+
- New straight civil partnerships amendment tabled for equal marriage bill in House of Lords5
- Gay police officer leaves Savile inquiry job in order to take part in Big Brother3
- Chris Brown starts equality campaign and vows to stand up for gay rights8
- Son of US Senator under fire for posting racist and homophobic tweets7
- Labour MEP Michael Cashman: Putin’s ‘hate speech’ has resulted in the ‘barbaric killing’ of gay Russian men4
- Lord Carey tables amendment to undermine equal marriage bill by calling for ‘two tiered’ marriage19
- Survey: LGBT acceptance at all time high in US, but discrimination remains+
- X Factor star Marcus Collins takes part in anti-hate crime campaign video1
- Committee says UK Government did not consult adequately with the Church in Wales on equal marriage bill8
- US: GOP Senator says he thinks businesses should be able to sack people for being gay28
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages' 60
- Video: Married binational gay couple kept apart by DOMA urges US Supreme Court strike-down22
- Australia: Radio host sacked for asking Prime Minister Julia Gillard if her partner is gay40
- Scottish trans woman 'forced' to leave town after she was branded a 'witch'20
- Lord Carey tables amendment to undermine equal marriage bill by calling for 'two tiered' marriage19
- French Olympic swimmers pose as 'imaginary gay couple' for anti-homophobia campaign12
- US: Gay Catholics to turn their backs on Cardinal who compared Pride to Ku Klux Klan rally11
- In Photos: As One in the Park 201317
- US: President Obama urges Congress to pass bill to end anti-LGBT workplace discrimination6
- Daily Mail's Andrew Pierce: I'm called a 'homophobe' and 'Uncle Tom' for opposing equal marriage102
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill61
- Lord Dear proposes new amendment to equal marriage bill concerning 'traditional marriage'60
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'60
- Baroness Knight: The gays are still good at antiques and Section 28 was right59
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill55
- French mayor: 'I will go to the gallows' before performing a same-sex wedding52
- Labour's Clause 20 sex education amendment fails in the Commons50
- Pope Francis: There is a 'gay lobby' at the heart of the Vatican 'it exists'49
- YouGov poll: Next Doctor Who actor being straight less important than being male and British45
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage