Campbell Soup’s gay ads attacked by American Family Association

1. Dave North 29 Dec 2008, 2:54pm

“a message that homosexual parents constitute a family and are worthy of support,”

So, now we have the truth. “NOT WORTHY OF SUPPORT”.

What good wholesome types these people are. Pr!@ks

2. Har Davids 29 Dec 2008, 3:09pm

Get a life, you AFA-morons!! Gays eat bread, just like straights, they drink water, juste like straights. So, if it bothers you that they’re just like most of us, why don’t you stop eating and drinking; people might think you’re gay because you do stuff gays do, like eating and drinking.

3. Har Davids 29 Dec 2008, 3:12pm

Get a life, AFA-morons! Ever considered the enormity of gays eating and drinking the same stuff as straights do? People might think you’re gay because you enjoy the same kinds of food as some gays do.

4. Well done, Campbells. Puts heinz to shame

5. Nice job Campbell’s. It’s nice to see companies supporting the gay community. I hope they continue to show their support regardless of the closed minded individuals that are out there.

6. Does anyone have an email address where we can SUPPORT Campbells to counteract the no doubt large pile of homophobic AFA-inspired drivel? I’d hate them to back down like other companies have done recently.

7. american are sick – they need help

8. How thoughtful of the AFA to provide the email address of Campbell’s President. You too can send Douglas R Conant an email of support. douglas_r_conant@cambellsoup.com

9. Edward in Los Angeles 30 Dec 2008, 4:17am

Here is the email I sent to Campbell’s this evening: Dear Mr Conant: Thank you for yours and Campbell’s Soup’s ad support of gay familes.

I’m sure I’m not alone amongst gay people when I say we appreciate it.

I understand from the news this evening that the American Family Association objects to what it sees as Campbell Soup sending “a message that homosexual parents constitute a family and are worthy of support”.

Tonight, Mr. Conant, for the support that Campbell’s is giving a magazine and gay families, I’m doing the best thing I can think of to return that favor: I’m eating Campbell’s vegetarian vegetable soup. It’s my favorite…I went out and bought 20 cans today at the Ralph’s market.

Sincere thanks,
    Edward
    Venice, California

10. Such naked contemptuous cynicism. But the AFA is beyond any pretenses of rational unifying thought, so we shouldn’t expect anything better from them.

11. I want to thank the AFA for making it easy for me to write and THANK President Conant for his support and fair minded policy.

12. The fact they call it a ‘Culture War’ says a lot about them. Bullies.

13. My e-mail:

Attacks by American Family Association

Dear Mr Conant,

Just a quick note to say thank you for your principled and dignified response to the attacks made on you and your company by the American Family Association. Your progressive advertising policy and willingness to defend it when some other companies have crumbled pathetically in the face of such hateful ranting do you enormous credit.

Thank you again and all the best for 2009.

Yours sincerely,

14. Perhaps we should also write to the AFA thanking them for drawing to our attention this excellent initiative by Campbells, and encouraging us to buy more Campbells’ products?

15. henry collier 31 Dec 2008, 1:21am

The AFA has one single agenda and that is to discriminate against homosexuals and all those who do not conform to their narrow and biased views. Another cult, another bunch of ignorant bigots who have nothing but appeals to authority. All the AFA is about is raising more money to discriminate and money to fund the lifestyles of the leaders … But then what else is new?

16. They say that the company should not take sides, if they where to show straight couple family is that not taking their side, i hope Campbell stick with the ads

17. Well done Campbell’s. But i do add that although Heinz did retract their ad campaign at least they were brave enough to publish it. I think both these companies are gay friendly, but we are glad that Campbell’s have defended their decision. There will always be conservative nutjobs complaining in the States, but hopefully with ad campaigns like these people may see that it doesn’t really matter if two men/women are together or a child has two mummies/daddies. And that is what Heinz did above Campbell’s: publishing gay friendly material (albeit they retracted it unfortunately) to heteros and homos alike.

18. Times are really changing! Now, there is a website called DonorPride.com in which offers gay people the chance to have babies together as Mothers and Fathers. It’s a Site to See!!!!!!!

19. Naja Hannah 21 Aug 2009, 12:11am

Gay soup. What will they think of next?