Rufus Wainwright not a gay marriage supporter but criticises Prop 8

1. I’m sorry, but just why should the musings of a 35 yr old performer have any real importance. He is a celeb who happens to be gay – why does his opinion matter more than, say a teacher, or anyone that makes a substantial contribution to society, rather than a self-aggrandising songster?

It’s a symptom of our celeb-obsessed society

2. Edward in Los Angeles 14 Dec 2008, 10:23pm

Agreed. I read and reread Rufus’s comment and once done I asked myself – was he talking just to hear his own voice?

3. Robert, ex-pat Brit 15 Dec 2008, 1:10pm

Lets face it, Rufus is not a bright boy. To support anyone’s right to marry their dog, whatever, plays right into the hands of the religious nutjobs who made Prop.H8 successful. I respect his right to say what he wants, but Rufus….think before you open your mouth.

4. Simon Murphy 15 Dec 2008, 2:54pm

Bestiality is a crime as a dog cannot consent to sex. Likewise paedophilia is a crime as a child cannot consent to sex. Therefore for Rufus Wainright to make a comparison between gay marriage and marrying a dog is both homophobic and extremely offensive.

5. OMG I have lost complete respect (not that I had any as I’m not even a fan of his music) in Mr. Wainright….

6. Oh dear, what an idiot…

7. WOW! How could anyone in their right mind that even knows ANYTHING think that “Rufus is not a bright boy”. Rufus has done so much for peoples rights around the world! You all should be ashamed of your selves for your contempt prior to investigation. Lighten up people!! He is just making a statement about his liberal views.

8. Good call, jilli…I thought I was the only gay that wasn’t going to get married…I figure, “hey, I’d like for the ability to do so to be there, but, don’t go willy-nilly yanking it away from everyone…” And, the dog thing, he was being facetious, ya think? He was saying, “hey, I don’t care what people do…it’s their life, let ‘em live it” (Kinda makes more sense than what all of us have been yammering on about for the past 4 years, really)

9. What is your intention with damaging Rufus? He has clearly criticised Prop8, his support for gay rights and equality is huge. Only because he personally doesn’t want to get married he is a bad person now? Forget that marry a dog phrase. You know how he meant it!
    Don’t damage the gay rights movement with this silly discussion about Rufus integrity. Rufus is one of the most honest artists I know.

10. Edward in Los Angeles 15 Dec 2008, 10:22pm

Hey, wake up – 52% of voters voted against gay marriage in our state. This was neither the time nor the place for Rufus Wainwright to say “Frankly, if you want to marry a dog, why don’t you go ahead and marry a dog, I don’t care.” He’s a celebrity, he’s got the eyes and ears of the press and as far as I’m concerned, he put his foot in his mouth. The fact is, I don’t care if Rufus Wainwright doesn’t want to be in a gay marriage. This is not just about him-

11. Chris Lowry 16 Dec 2008, 9:57am

I think that Rufus made some good points and was honest – not every gay person wants to get married/civil partnered up, but i think he should have chosen some of his later words more wisely. there are too many people around willing take advantage of such comments and twist them for their own use – sadly.

12. In voicing his opposition to Proposition 8, Mr Wainwright has made a wise and serious point in the guise of a casual, light-hearted comment. Many who oppose Proposition 8 are at best ambivalent towards the promotion of Civil Marriage as an ideal for all or even most.

Yes, civil marriage has the obvious advantage of being an institution already in existence – tried, tested, often found wanting, it serves. Yes, it is bizarre to deny the legal benefits of civil marriage to same-sex couples who desire them. Why should they not enjoy the freedom to be property-owning, tax-privileged, multiple-income professional parentals, if they wish ?

Yet the culture wars make conscripts of us all: in opposing “religious nutjobs” others become moral fanatics.

Open the door to moral bullying of any persuasion and it can be difficult to get it out of your life.

13. Rufus has released this at http://www.rufuswainwright.com
    Note From Rufus: Setting the Record Straight… or Gay
    Posted by rufus on Dec 16, 2008

Recently, a quote from an interview was taken out of context and as these things go, it has appeared on many internet sites. So, to set the record straight (or shall we say gay?), I am not nor have I ever been opposed to anyone’s right to marry – straight or gay. I myself just don’t want to at the moment and feel a strong tie to the traditional bohemian concept of being a homosexual, ie: the last thing we want is to be like everybody else. But who knows, a girl likes options. Maybe someday I will want to marry! Plus, in terms of practical issues such as citizenship, taxes, inheritance, etc…it is appauling that LGBT couples don’t have the same rights and options that other people have and compared with Europe and Canada, the US should be ashamed of how they treat love. I have voiced my strong opposition to Prop 8 on many occasions and will continue to do so until that referendum is reversed. OK? I’ve got to get back to work now.
    Love, Rufus

14. Have a look at Rufus’ own note: http://www.rufuswainwright.com/news/default.aspx?nid=19788
    and the Guardian’s: Shocker! Rufus Wainwright supports gay marriage

15. Robert Tissot 20 Dec 2008, 8:05pm

I don’t like Rufus’ music. It’s too slow for me. But I have to comment, because some of the reactions above and elsewhere to Rufus’ statement are so depressing. I mean, he has done so much for the gay rights/human rights campaign for so many years. Especially this year, he has taken time out of his own very busy tour schedule to perform at numerous functions, raising SERIOUS cash for the Cause — a Cause (marriage) in which he had no personal interest until very recently, when, under extreme duress, he had to release his ‘clarification’ (which was completely unnecessary IMHO). BTW why hasn’t Pink News published or otherwise drawn attention to thsi ‘clarification’ on its own front page?

Someone working and fighting hard for the rights of others strikes me as being pretty unselfish and community-spirited and civic-minded etc. But what does Rufus get in return? He makes one ‘live and let live, whatever makes you happy’-type slip in an otherwise rather insightful statement and we come down on him like a ton of hard and pointy bricks. I mean, where is the Love? Where is the forgiveness? Where is the tolerance? When did we all become a pack of po-faced, beige-flavoured moralists? When did we become a bunch of fascists?

My old grandmother used to say “People who live in stone houses shouldn’t throw glass” and I never really understood that until now.