Gay “cure” policeman says sacking is destroying his family

1. “The easy option for me would have been to keep quiet but when there is such prejudice towards one point of view, how can that be right? That doesn’t sound like equality and diversity to me.”

I have to say I agree with the man. Everyone holds personal opinions, and I see no reason we he can’t either. The point is though, he crossed the lines by advertising that fact, in much tha same way as some gays “promote” homosexuality. I have no problem in anyone holding a belief, but it’s when it is advertised as being the “right” course of action that it becomes divisive.

The problem is not having “free thought” but “free speech”. I think if anyone has opinions, and is asked about them, that those opinions should not be held against them, It is when they pro-actively start spreading those opinions to people that may not agree with them. That goes for gay people, Christians, or for that matter neo-nazis. One cannot be ostracised for ones own opinions, only when one tries to impose them on others.

2. Buzz- I almost agree, however I don’t see telling everyone homosexuality is an abomination in the same light as someone promoting gay tolerance.
    One is an affirmation of a minority group, the other is denying another group their human rights. Like you say, you can hold any opinion under the sun, but gay people are not out to convert straight people to gayness, they just want the same rights.
    Cogman crossed the line by trying to actively oppress a minority by seeking to shove it back in the closet. This is where religion becomes a liberal sticky wicket… no other minority seeks to gain new members by demonising those who don’t subscribe.
    We may demand equal rights, but we don’t require straight people to become gay in order to achieve our goals.
    We don’t make any assertion to the effect of “if you don’t shag someone of your own gender that makes you a filthy homophobe”. However I do hear a lot of religious zealots take the line that “If you don’t follow our sacred doctrine/ believe in our God, you’re a hellbound sinner”, which is an unproven and aggressive ideology.
    I’m fine with religion as a personal belief, and I won’t start telling people what to believe, up to the point that what they believe encroaches on my freedom. That’s what I object to.

3. Homosexuality is not a choice. Who would choose a lifestyle that is still villified, discriminated against and which can still get us murdered because we are considered so different. Also selected passages from the bible or the koran to justify hate have to be challenged.

4. J Mathews 8 Dec 2008, 7:30am

The problem is, the man was a policeman, whose duty is to uphold the law. The role of a police officer is NOT to uphold personal biggotted opinions whilst at work. And that is the point, he was spreading and promoting his biggotted views WHILST AT WORK.

If this man chooses to spread his hateful views outside of working as a policeman that ‘might’ be considered freedom of speech, but as a police officer, he had NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH. He was no doubt told that was the case.

We just cannot have police offciers using their position as a platform for hate promotion.

He was quite rightly sacked. He cannot say he wasn’t warned, as in fact he actually was. He CHOSE to ignore the warning.

5. J Mathews 8 Dec 2008, 7:35am

He was a policeman. In such a role, he DOES NOT have freedom of speech. had he done this outside of work it would be different.

We cannot have police officers using their office to promote hateful views, as the police are in a role to UPHOLD the law. Being a police officer I am sure he knew this, and yet ecided to play fast and loose with his career. This does not just apply to faith beliefs, but to political affiliations also.

He was warned, and actively chose to ignore the warning. He got what he deserved.

I’m sure his local caring sharing, biggotted church will look after him.

6. Tony Lambert 8 Dec 2008, 8:45am

Boo bleedin hoo. What a whiner his man is. Maybe this moron should think before he acts next time…. oh, right, sorry… religious people don’t think, they get told what to think… silly me.

7. The very sad truth is (probably) is that if he takes it to an employment tribunal, he will win. The registrar & relate guy did.

8. Spot on J Matthews. He is working for the state, and should be upholding the laws of the state, not bronze age palestine.

Free speech, Buzz, is limited when it does harm to others (and what do you mean by “promoting” homosexuality, exactly? who is doing this, and how?). So when someone abuses their position in the public sector, or in the work environment, and makes irresponsible postings which can prey on insecurities of gay people, and give false hope of change, (through links to fanatical organisations that offer no evidence of success whatsoever) – it might well do a lot of damage. If he were honest, Mr Cogman would admit his intention, with his demeaning and insulting Bible quotes, was to rip apart all gay families, so my advice to him is: Play the world’s smallest violin.

9. Dave North 8 Dec 2008, 11:26am

Ever noticed how when these things come to media attention, eg: this copper, The RELATE guy etc, eventually those who imposed the dismissal or whatever, eventually back down.

We get thrown a crumb of hope, then briskly have it taken away.

10. Keith Mitchell 8 Dec 2008, 12:32pm

Maybe some of those cops should view John Huckert’s film, “Hard”. Certainly, the story depicted there is not very similar to the one being discussed here (this one is much milder in comparison); but what about those other precincts where more violent behaviour is not only tolerated, but promoted? By seeing the violence and NOT doing anything about it, sends those police officers a message that it is okay. They need serious educational programmes to help to get rid of that sort of behaviour in the workplace. People like those should not be given free license to carry out their agenda. They legally carry firearms, and are protected by their colleagues (most of the time): sounds like free rein to me…

11. Robert, ex-pat Brit 8 Dec 2008, 1:42pm

Don’t you just love it when the christian bigots play the victim? I’ve said this many times before and I’ll keep on saying. Religion has absolutely NO business in the workplace, NONE, no matter if its state or local government employment or any employer, but should be confined to the privacy of one’s home or place of worship.

Buzz…. not sure if I’m missing something, but who is “promoting” homosexuality? I never knew we were proponents of ex-straight ministries or other groups trying to convert straights. I think its the other way around, don’t you?

12. Tough Titty! Constable – this was a self-inflicted ‘injury’ and it’s time you had the spheroids to face up to the fact that you ruined your own career.
    Of course you are entitled to your opinions, but holding religious views does NOT give you the right to foist them on others, neither does it give you the right to disobey specific and lawful instructions from your superiors.
    Sir, you are NO martyr …. merely an opinionated fool!

13. Erroll Clements 8 Dec 2008, 4:08pm

Why doesn’t he get a job in the church, that is obviously where he belongs, then he can join all his like minded fellow biggots ! No sympathy what so ever, he brought it upon himself, for somebody who was involved in the law he is very narrow minded.

14. So, this man is blaming everyone else but himself for the situation he is in. I would appear to me that he is a rather cynical man who seems not to take responsibility for his actions. For to do so would reveal that he is a mere mortal, just like the rest of us!

15. now looking to a pay-off

or am I cynical

16. My heart pumps custard for this idiot. So his family is being destryed, is it? What about the gay families he had no hesitation in trying to destroy with his hate speech. Glad he was sacked.

17. Does this man object to wearing his uniform of mixed fibres? Thought not. Just another pick n mix bigot.

18. What does he expect? He was told not to and took no notice…..I have a feeling I’d be sacked as well if I continued to do something I had specifically been told NOT to do!! Sorry I have little sympathy for the moron!

19. “My heart pumps custard for this idiot.”

I like it!

20. Steve Denver 10 Dec 2008, 2:39am

His loudly anti-gay viewpoint was chastised 12 years ago, and it sounds like several times since. He can’t receive warnings, so maybe it’s time for some action. Why can’t he take his “persecution” like a good little “soldier of Christ” and let God take care of him? He says his dismissal is destroying his family: maybe Jesus didn’t like what he was doing.

21. I am too old and cynical to believe that he actually believes the crap he’s expecting his public to accept.
    As a copper he is experienced and should be wise enough to know how he should behave when his personal beliefs conflict with his duties. Conflicts probably occur hundreds of times daily,… they do for most people. And when he remembers that upholding the law may, from his prejudiced viewpoint, cause an irreconcileable difference, he can always seek he advice of a senior, more qualified Officer.
    No… what we have is an “own goal” after being caught out in an act that this self-serving self-righteous bigot should never have embarked upon.
    He’s mean enough to go all the way… tribunal etc. His sort usually do. Maybe he’ll be the first to make a novelty recording of “The Crying Policeman….”
    He CHOSE to be prejudiced, I did not choose to be gay., though if it were possible to choose, I’d rather be a natural gay than a brainwashed, heterosexual bigot.

22. Now – perhaps, and with the benefit hindsight, he fully understands the meanding of the word, discrimination.
    “As ye sow, so shall ye reap”. I have no sympathy for him.